Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (32769 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by vislabraye(m): 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
What this ASUU lecturer is trying to say is dat collateral damage is inevitable. I just feel sorry for the graduating students.
But in some universities abroad, they don't rely on govt funding. Private organizations and individuals can also help. We have Shell, Chevron, Mobil and the likes. The lecturers also need to be sincere too. You can't just heap the whole blame of the govt.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
whyman: Let's look at our surroundings and make meaningful contributions that we, our family and the community would be proud of.

Thanks. I earlier suggested that people consider volunteering (no pay sad ) at nursery, primary or secondary schools if they find nothing else to do.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by eguityjustice(m): 12:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
@ Prof. You made mention of the fact that the current Final year students wouldn't benefit from the current ASUU strike, I also believe the current 300L students (sadly which I belong to) wouldn't really benefit from the strike too. But my question is this why did ASUU not allow the current Final year students write their Final exams and graduate peacefully instead of frustrating these lads. I see this as sheer wickedness. You people got this one wrong, I tell you most parents whose children are currently in their Finals now have doubled their labour just to be able to meet up with their needs. The elapsed time has eaten deep into their pockets, go the market you'll see aged men and women (60-70) telling you how ASUU have destroyed their plans because they see no reason why their Final year children were not allowed to complete their programme and come home in peace. I don't know what nonsensical and un-professional point ASUU wanted to prove, but I tell you ;you people got this one wrong. This is my own side of the story.

Summary: ASUU should have allowed the Final year students complete their programme. We the 300L students downwards can understand the situation and peacefully relax in our various houses without breaking a sweat.
my dear if ASUU allow final year to write their exams as u suggested, those in 300l will enter final yr. and will still ask ASUU to let them graguate first.and it continues like that. but op my question to u is, if u are the president would u honour the agreement? the reason i am asking this is that GEJ was once an ASUU member and i believed that he was in suport of ASUU then. now that the whole thing is in his hand, the story has change.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 12:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
vislabraye: Private organizations and individuals can also help. We have Shell, Chevron, Mobil and the likes. The lecturers also need to be sincere too. You can't just heap the whole blame of the govt.

Good point. There are many options in rebutting it, but I will rely on the easiest.
Even if you want to "force" companies to invest in universities, it is government that can make that happen. Of course, companies are not usually *forced* abroad, but that is only because the universities have become so good that they have something valuable to offer the companies.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Uyi168: 12:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
urchman101: All is well
ALL IZ NT WELL!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
eguity&justice:
but op my question to u is, if u are the president would u honour the agreement? the reason i am asking this is that GEJ was once an ASUU member and i believed that he was in suport of ASUU then.

I have answered someone else that as president, I would do everything I could (without busting the economy) to get tertiary education on its feet. Of course I would have every right to try to separate ASUU and tertiary education as two different topics. I could chose to try to be harsh with ASUU, but I would never toy with the really critical funding issues.

Yes, I hear GEJ was once a lecturer. However, that don't mean jack-squat. My people have a saying that translates to "young rascals don't disappear when they grow old. They just become old rascals". Please I am *not* trying to abuse his excellency (or calling him a rascal!). I am simply saying we need to ask "what sort of lecturer was he when he was a lecturer" Perhaps that would be helpful in understanding this issue?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Kingspin(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
Very soon private universities would join ASUU afterall it for the betterment of Nigerian students. I am wondering what should be the real position of state government as it concern their establishment. What are they doing right now busy looting our public money. Federal to federal, state to state, local govt to local govt any other thing through federal govt should not be do or die. Let ASUU strike and demand that all state govts must fund their state owned universities, the govnors and VC's only care is increament and increament so where is the money going pls any thing from FG should be welcome and not end of the road. This is a federal republic. They have Federal universities to take care of the state should come up and help the FG and stop looting the parents and students. Let the states solve some of their problems.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Mascotizer: 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
jaidor: @OP, I just have to let you understand that there is absolutely nothing to justify the lingering strike than for improved living condition (Hike in salaries) of the lecturers. It's glaring they all want to live large like our politicians, they feel if someone could be earning Millions with an ordinary Waec, Hnd or Bsc how much more the Phd holders and Profs...but my answer to that is simple, if u want to earn like them, then quit your lecturing job and join them. (Late Yar'adua and GEJ did it successfully) rather that inflict agonies on the innocent students. I mean, tell me just 2 ways in which the strike is really affecting the govt (for the ones in currently in power though)? I guess except for 2015 election's sake. They live their lives normally as if nothing is happening and at the same time you guys (Lecturers) would still accrue ur monthly salaries. So that means u have absolutely nothing to lose sequel to the strike.
If truly you want us to believe that you are agitating for revamping of our universities then declear to the public that you would forgo your monthly salaries and allowances during the course of the strike, only then would you have the support of someone like me.

Although I am not advocating the chary attitude of FG but I think I quite agree with them that it is not all the lecturers that are entitled to earned allowances. Reason is that some, infact most of them have refused to 'develop' themselves, they have never sat for an hour to study futher since they got their Phd. Hence they go to classrooms to dictate verbatim from textbooks written by their counterparts in other countries (esp. USA and India) with no futher elucidation to the students. Yet such lecturers still want to be paid an 'undeserved' allowance.
It's also imperative that I ask of what benefits have you guys (Lecturers) ever been to this nation Nigeria apart from dictating notes to ur students? How many of you has ever come up with a great discovery or invention that could better the lives of Nigerians? Ordinary mosquito killer some of the naija's Dr(s) and profs can't make. We have lots of Professors in Mechanical engineering yet we still can't manufacture a viable car. We have you guys here in Nigeria and yet we import virtually everything from other countries. I once heard of a professor in computer science that could not design a website. How pathetic! Yet they all wants to be entitled to allowances.
I could vividly remember a member of ASUU from uniben or so making an utterance that they (ASUU) will never call off the strike even if it lasts for Ten (10) years, and I was like is this supposed to be a lecturer or a goon?

So face it Mister (or Prof), I for one can never be deluded by your extremely sentimental write up...and it's simple, you stick to your opinion and i'll stick to mine.

Forgive me if I sound so brash. But remember two wrongs can never make a right and it is unjustifiable to inflict agonies on innocent Nigerian students.
Stop The Strike As Soon As Possible!

Thanks

1000 Likes!

You said it all man. Bravo!
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Richiez(m): 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
I hope this whole ASUU strike issue ends immediately...it's taking too long
@OP apart from full implementation of the 2009 agreement, Do you have any other suggestion on how FG and ASUU can come to terms?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by zeelo2014: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
The major problem in our educational system is the standard & attitude of the lecturers. Most are incompetent, teaching the same thing since the 70s. Imagine Electronics engineering lecturers still teaching about cathode Ray tube(CRT) in 2013!,teaching archaic programming languages simply because they don't know the modern ones and they've refused to update themselves instead fighting for who to be HOD,Dean & VC. They treat students like their long time enemies,act like gods,no new research,no findings,we have local problems that requires local solutions but they are nowhere to be found, just recycling old textbooks from India as theirs. No difference between a lecturer & a mere civil servant,same lackadaisical approach. I remember back then in school I missed a class test & I begged this young lecturer with the belief that he's young & different from those sadistic old timers. After much pleading he told me to come to his office,with speed I got a paper & entered his office lo & behold a female coursemate was already there sitting close to him gisting romantically. The man raised his head & looked at me disgustingly,barked at me to get out of his office,that he's busy & would infact not attend to me anymore. I swear if I see that man walking on the road I go jam am.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by nejifresh(m): 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
I'm of the opinion that our University Education needs to be privatized, and student loans should be issued by gov. This will encourage competition and improve the quality of education. It will also make students sit up and stop running around with one cult gang or the other.

In our current system students pass through the current university system and come out worse, less creative and extremely stereotyped due to the cram and pass that is encouraged.

Way back in my final year 2006 we had this course on Microprocessors, at that time the Centrino processor was popular. During one of the classes I asked the lecturer why the Centrino pcs last longer as compared with other processors. The lecturer didn't take it well, rained abuses on me and made sure I got an E. (I am a professional programmer, even back in school). So you see this is the typical attitude of lecturers in our schools.
If I'm to be sincere to myself I didn't learn anything in Uni. Only how to survive. Even though I graduated with a 2-1 in EE Engineering. Was a waste of time. How many of our graduates can design a hoe. Talkless of bulldozers etc. Lecturers still teach 1968 curriculum.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Sttimmy1(m): 1:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
@prof...hw abt those studnts dat ll soon clock 30,thereby preventng dem 4rm servng their fatherland..ds is unfair
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by UyiIredia(m): 1:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
@ prof femi: Very well said. I love the part which encourages students to use the strike to engage in something that complements their formal education. There is a silver lini g in the cloud: more grace to your elbow and as they say, Aluta continua !
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by UyiIredia(m): 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
Uyi168: ALL IZ NT WELL!

Great ! Just great ! 2 Uyi's on Nairaland angry
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 1:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
@prof I just checked and I noticed you are still responding to this thread. I want to spare a few of my official/management time to engage you and I also hope some of your members (ASUU) are here to read too.

You have quite mentioned that tertiary education is expensive - That is a fact. However, we know that our entire educational system is in shambles and needs a thorough restructuring. Why is ASUU is so concerned about their unpaid earned allowances than repositioning the tertiary institution in the country

Question 2 - The success of every economy lies on the strength of its education. We have so many problems/issues (economic, social, financial and otherwise). Why can't our universities develop solutions to these our problems?

Question 3 - You claim that the main reason for the strike is provision of infrastructure in tertiary institution - Why kind of infrastructure are you talking about?

Question 4 - We have encountered, witnessed, listen and read about unruly behaviours of lecturers/teachers - What is the true role of lecturers in tertiary universities? Who should held accountable for these nonsense ill-behaved lecturers? What is the role of the Nigerian University Commission (NUC)?

Prof while addressing my questions, I can see some important comments/questions raised above. Also, address them.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by uzoexcel(m): 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Random Musings

Prof Femi, thanks for enlightening us on the state universities issue. I have always wondered why they r involved in the first place.

Also, in the list of demands by ASUU to the FG, are you guys gonna asking the Federal Government for the establishment of more institutions in the country. Cos everyday we read in the news that more than 1million students in the country sit for jamb every year and there are always less than 200,000 spaces for this students?

Also prof, there are some things i think you failed to mention or touch upon.For example the issue of having outdated syllabus which most uni's/depts fail to review. I dont think the Federal Government is responsible for this.Most of my brothers/sisters here on nairaland will attest to this. For instance i read Elect/Elect Engr in a Federal Uni. The only programming course we did was in our second year and that was Fortran '77 and a little BASIC programming.FOR 5YEARS, just 1 redundant programming course!!!IN THIS JET AGE!!and we had to cram it!!!Can u just imagine...My first year, i was doing Bio 101 (3units), Chem 101 (4units), Chem 102/Organic Chemistry (4 units), Engineering drawing (firsy year down till second year) where we used T/square and cardboard sheets while the outside world is talking about autocad and Matlab....This were all freaking irrelevant and i dont think its the FG's fault..And it wasnt just in engineering.I remember my friends studying Microbiology, Crop science., AAnimal science etc and they all had to take engineering drawing courses which was quite irrelevant to their!!!Doesnt ASUU have a monitoring body for things like this? Please i would like an honest answer from you.

My annoyance with these strike ish is the 'disadvantage' it places both federal/state university graduates when compared to their private university counterparts in the labor/job market....Most jobs give certain age limits for graduate trainees, management trainees and with the strike some of these students experience coupled with the delay in some universities sending student lists to NYSC for them to be called up, we then find out that at least 60% of these guys r already at a disadvantage before venturing into the job market. For me i did a 5year course and finished years ago at a federal uni in the east before i was 21 even with 2 'strikes' and this is because i started school early and also was lucky..But this aint the case for everyone

Lastly, i think the current university students are also at fault in this matter...Please, i m not trying to be holistic cos i was once a student and i was once guilty of what i am about to point out....For heaven's state, This is our future!!!!!The government/politicians will keep toying with ASUU and vis a vis the students cos none of them have children in naijaa. The few who have put their children in private universities... What is NANS doing??If the NANS executives and most students were deeply affected and serious, they wouldav called the attention of the world to the going-on's in our educational system. Anonymously invite Aljazreera and other popular 'media' to take a look at the current situation and make a documentary on it..There is nothing our FG hates more than international embarrassments...By now, students should have 'gingered', organised themselves and matched onwards to Abuja and then to Aso rock/national assembly and camp there...NANS/SUG are rich enough to afford this else what do they use the SUG levy for?By the time the whole world sees more than 100,000 students shouting/protesting, something would at least be done in helping to ameliorate the sufferings of my fellow brothers.

Do u know that if the FG/Government officials reduce their allowance by 15%, it would be more than enough to fund the system and meet ASUU'S demands. I rest my case

**Please as i said earlier, i m not casting aspersions on anyone..I was once a student and i did not to anything in my time when universities were on strike 'cos i was none the wiser*****
prof.femi:

The issue of state universities is another tough one. I work in a federal university, so it is easy for me to distance myself from them. However, selfishness aside, these are my thoughts:

In Nigeria, everything is politicized. As I have made clear, tertiary education is very expensive. Many states have no business owning universities because they cannot afford to. However, the people of the state will clamor, the governor who wants second term will promise etc, etc. Now, the universities have been created, but cannot be well-funded.

We then run the risk of having two distinct classes of universities in Nigeria, which, for many reasons, is not acceptable. So what to do? Charge the students the real cost of educating them? Uniosun and LASU are doing this I believe, to widespread outrage smiley The other option is the most common one in Nigeria: dump it on the neck of FG. So during every negotiation, ASUU makes a pitch to government about the risks of having two different classes of universities. FG realizes how unfair it is to ask them to partly-fund universities created by states. However they also realize (I think) that the states cannot afford those universities, so they sprinkle some crumbs to the state universities (please note, all of this is my interpretation).

So why are state universities on strike? Because if they do not associate with ASUU, and get some crumbs from FG, they run the risk of being left to the states alone to fund, and they know that is just not going to happen.

I'm not saying I support this. I'm just tellin' the way I see it.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 1:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Lastly, i think the current university students are also at fault in this matter...Please, i m not trying to be holistic cos i was once a student and i was once guilty of what i am about to point out....For heaven's state, This is our future!!!!!The government/politicians will keep toying with ASUU and vis a vis the students cos none of them have children in naijaa. The few who have put their children in private universities... What is NANS doing??If the NANS executives and most students were deeply affected and serious, they wouldav called the attention of the world to the going-on's in our educational system. Anonymously invite Aljazreera and other popular 'media' to take a look at the current situation and make a documentary on it..There is nothing our FG hates more than international embarrassments...By now, students should have 'gingered', organised themselves and matched onwards to Abuja and then to Aso rock/national assembly and camp there...NANS/SUG are rich enough to afford this else what do they use the SUG levy for?By the time the whole world sees more than 100,000 students shouting/protesting, something would at least be done in helping to ameliorate the sufferings of my fellow brothers.

This is nice but nigerian students should not only fight the government, they should fight their teachers too. The nonsense must stop. I have been privileged to study in this country and abroad and what we have here in terms of attitude of lecturers is something to beat someone mercilessly for. A little reason I feel no sympathy for these ASUU greeds.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Chartey(m): 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
oxford:

u are been clever by half. Why did you leave out the main point in my post which is ASUU has no moral justification to talk about fg not implementing an agreement. By staying at home u greedy lectures has also breached their employement contract. If it were in the private universities u stay off work for just a day........

With or without ASUU Nigeria is moving forward.

And pls stop thanking me. Engage me. I thought u said that what u want?
You are obviously bitter and not being rational here. You can't bash ASUU because of a government that has no regard for the rule of law and breaches agreements with impunity.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
OGA prof to tell you the truth your write up is not sinking into my coconut head, i am supposed to have graduated since July regrettably the almighty supreme ASUU declared this unnecessary strike, my mates in private universities are going for service this November here i am serving an indefinite ban from graduating by ASUU.

My question [size=30pt]DOES ASUU HAVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS TO TELL AN ELECTED GOVERNMENT HOW TO RUN AND PLAN THE FUTURE OF A COUNTRY??[/size]
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
[size=30pt]PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES ARE FUNDED THROUGH A HEAVY TUITION FEES, WHY ARE THEY NOT YET LIKE AMERICAN OR GHANAIAN UNIVERSITIES??[/size]
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 2:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
cowleg: [size=30pt]PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES ARE FUNDED THROUGH A HEAVY TUITION FEES, WHY ARE THEY NOT YET LIKE AMERICAN OR GHANAIAN UNIVERSITIES??[/size]

It is the same lecturers teaching in public universities that are teaching in private universities.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by uzoexcel(m): 2:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
i concur with thee but we seriously need to resolve this issue..I also had enough nasty experiences upon my getting into the uni...lol..I was 15years old then and straight from a boarding house i had stayed for 6years of college...It was like a jungle for me man...Had so many issues straight from having a harsh course adviser who would tell me to get outta her office without me opening my mouth to having missing papers of which the crazy lecturers would not hear my pleas despite my name on all the attendance sheets undecided undecided
But i have forgotten all those though!!We just hope though that the FG answers ASUU's pleas while ASUU should try as much as possible to eradicate bad 'weeds' in their own system.
Boss13: [q]Lastly, i think the current university students are also at fault in this matter...Please, i m not trying to be holistic cos i was once a student and i was once guilty of what i am about to point out....For heaven's state, This is our future!!!!!The government/politicians will keep toying with ASUU and vis a vis the students cos none of them have children in naijaa. The few who have put their children in private universities... What is NANS doing??If the NANS executives and most students were deeply affected and serious, they wouldav called the attention of the world to the going-on's in our educational system. Anonymously invite Aljazreera and other popular 'media' to take a look at the current situation and make a documentary on it..There is nothing our FG hates more than international embarrassments...By now, students should have 'gingered', organised themselves and matched onwards to Abuja and then to Aso rock/national assembly and camp there...NANS/SUG are rich enough to afford this else what do they use the SUG levy for?By the time the whole world sees more than 100,000 students shouting/protesting, something would at least be done in helping to ameliorate the sufferings of my fellow brothers.[/q]

This is nice but nigerian students should not only fight the government, they should fight their teachers too. The nonsense must stop. I have been privileged to study in this country and above and what we have here in terms of attitude of lecturers is something to beat someone mercilessly for. A little reason I feel no sympathy for these ASUU greeds.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Kingspin(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
The decay in our education is beyond the issue of bring money. The same challenge in the educational sector is also found in power, oil, football etc, it all a National problem. So to start getting it right attitudinal change, obedient to rule of law need to get involve, our people need to be re-oriented positively. Than for our education sector the foundation which is at the primay and secondary school level need to get it right 100% than shall the universities graduate or produce a quality graduate. Good input (basic) good output (university). We need to go back to the basic level of education. The type of university graduate we have today could be trace to the qualities of our primay and seconday school. We should to do more at the basic level than shall the quality of the output (graduate) is guarantee.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Chartey(m): 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
oxford:

Am not surprise by your ignorant post.

If a whole prof, who by all intend could be ASSU president himself in disguise could not stand my missiles of facts, how could you possibly withstand me?

Now for starters ASSU alleged earned allowance is not 30billion like you stated but, wait for it, 98 billion!

So next time get your facts straight before exposing your ignorance in a public forum

I honestly doubt you read the whole initial post because your writing "ASSU" shows you pay little regard to detail.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by matrixme(m): 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
Mr Lecturer sir, I'd like to know how you people think that you can solve all the problems of tertiary education in Nigeria with money. Perhaps that is where you got i wrong. I am a university student and I can point out the naturally good ones among my lecturers. I think it is quite sad how you old people think that, being a university teacher puts you at the hallmark of career achievement in this nation, especially given the fact that perhaps, no Nigerian university has launched a commercial societal value adding product into the market apart from those university breads, processed water and the agricultural products from university farms which are 'common commodities' Are you exactly saying that in the many years that universities have existed in this nation, No research could have been done without necessarily federal government funded (like your current demands stipulate) that is for the common good of all and sundry? I daresay right under your noses, Unilorin has produced a local malaria drug and recently, a local Biometrics machine, and they are not under ASUU? what are the rest of you doing with the available little? I am just trying to point out that we are all inexcusable in the development of education in this country. Anyway, I wonder what Nigerian University graduates in 2035 would be like, assuming your demands are met!
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingspin: The decay in our education is beyond the issue of bring money. The same challenge in the educational sector is also found in power, oil, football etc, it all a National problem. So to start getting it right attitudinal change, obedient to rule of law need to get involve, our people need to be re-oriented positively. Than for our education sector the foundation which is at the primay and secondary school level need to get it right 100% than shall the universities graduate or produce the a quality graduate. Good input (basic) good output (university). We need to go back to the basic levels of education. The type of university graduate we have today could be trace to the qualities of our primay and seconday school. We should to do more at the basic level than shall the quality of the output (graduate) is guarantee.

Thank you. Nigeria needs a total overhaul. If the government pumps more money, I don't think these ASUU guys would know what to do with it. Again, the government do not monitor any of its projects. Let me refrain from accusing the government because I do not know what they pass through in that office. However, I just want my government to be more transparent
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Anthony4578(m): 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
See what undergraduates have achieved in the course of the strike.join now
www.nairaland.com/1451737/university-studentswhat-achieved-since-ASUU
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by otokx(m): 2:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
matrixme: Mr Lecturer sir, I'd like to know how you people think that you can solve all the problems of tertiary education in Nigeria with money. Perhaps that is where you got i wrong. I am a university student and I can point out the naturally good ones among my lecturers. I think it is quite sad how you old people think that, being a university teacher puts you at the hallmark of career achievement in this nation, especially given the fact that perhaps, no Nigerian university has launched a commercial societal value adding product into the market apart from those university breads, processed water and the agricultural products from university farms which are 'common commodities' Are you exactly saying that in the many years that universities have existed in this nation, No research could have been done without necessarily federal government funded (like your current demands stipulate) that is for the common good of all and sundry? I daresay right under your noses, Unilorin has produced a local malaria drug and recently, a local Biometrics machine, and they are not under ASUU? what are the rest of you doing with the available little? I am just trying to point out that we are all inexcusable in the development of education in this country. Anyway, I wonder what Nigerian University graduates in 2035 would be like, assuming your demands are met!

Which local malaria drug and local biometrics machine did UNILORIN produce? Those are just media propaganda, a country that has little or no electricity cannot produce anything.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by tchigofigo(m): 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Hope you won't mind if I decide not to debate you? I don't think we have the same conceptions of logic, evidence-based arguments, and politeness. Yes, I admit you have me totally floored. I have made my points. I will let others read yours and realize how terrible we are.
...at least u admitted u were totally FLOORED! Tnx 4 being sincere..
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
tchigofigo: ...at least u admitted u were totally FLOORED! Tnx 4 being sincere..
Hahaha, bro, I've got two words for you (okay, more than two words smiley )

1. You've got to understand sarcasm dude
2. Ma be (don't jump to conclusions). Why don't you follow my interaction with oxford to the end (for now) and then come back and crow??

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
@ Prof. You made mention of the fact that the current Final year students wouldn't benefit from the current ASUU strike, I also believe the current 300L students (sadly which I belong to) wouldn't really benefit from the strike too. But my question is this why did ASUU not allow the current Final year students write their Final exams and graduate peacefully instead of frustrating these lads. I see this as sheer wickedness. You people got this one wrong, I tell you most parents whose children are currently in their Finals now have doubled their labour just to be able to meet up with their needs. The elapsed time has eaten deep into their pockets, go the market you'll see aged men and women (60-70) telling you how ASUU have destroyed their plans because they see no reason why their Final year children were not allowed to complete their programme and come home in peace. I don't know what nonsensical and un-professional point ASUU wanted to prove, but I tell you ;you people got this one wrong. This is my own side of the story.

Summary: ASUU should have allowed the Final year students complete their programme. We the 300L students downwards can understand the situation and peacefully relax in our various houses without breaking a sweat.

You are not even asking the right questions
(1) Does ASUU have a project/plan mapped out?? Have they decided on how this money is to be allocated to the various sectors?? Do they have this plan at hand and have shown it to the federal government.. If they have this at hand, can't they simply hand them over to the FG and ensure the FG go about them using this current strike as a deterrent Must this money be handed over to ASUU at hand?? Have ASUU considered the fact that if this strike last for 2 months more, the cost of the strike would have outweighed its benefit considering the amount of braindrain that has occured?? Are lecturers still being paid even though they are not coming to class... This strike has afforded lecturers the chance to go about their aims, publish their work, do researches and develop themselves, if they mean well, shouldn't their offices also be locked so they wud be as idle as the students for the sake of harmony since their offices constitute a significant part of the educational sector??
(2) Secondly, ASUU can pretend infrastructure is the only problem we face.. But we know better, infrastructure constitute about 50% or less, unenterprising, lazy, biased and bigoted lectures constitute the other 50% or more... How do ASUU intend to tackle this problem? Pls sir don't reply me, if you don't admit this fact.. It would only prove you are biased yourself...
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
zeelo2014: The major problem in our educational system is the standard & attitude of the lecturers. Most are incompetent, teaching the same thing since the 70s. Imagine Electronics engineering lecturers still teaching about cathode Ray tube(CRT) in 2013!,teaching archaic programming languages simply because they don't know the modern ones and they've refused to update themselves instead fighting for who to be HOD,Dean & VC. They treat students like their long time enemies,act like gods,no new research,no findings,we have local problems that requires local solutions but they are nowhere to be found, just recycling old textbooks from India as theirs. No difference between a lecturer & a mere civil servant,same lackadaisical approach. I remember back then in school I missed a class test & I begged this young lecturer with the belief that he's young & different from those sadistic old timers. After much pleading he told me to come to his office,with speed I got a paper & entered his office lo & behold a female coursemate was already there sitting close to him gisting romantically. The man raised his head & looked at me disgustingly,barked at me to get out of his office,that he's busy & would infact not attend to me anymore. I swear if I see that man walking on the road I go jam am.

Yes, yes. But like I have asked everyone and no one seems to be ready to answer, how do you suggest we recruit good lecturers to replace the bad ones How many first class students do you know who want to lecture? Can you kindly tell me why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Uniben Direct Entry 2012/2013 Forum / List Of Nigeria Universities That Doesn't Require Jamb For Admission. / Patience Thomas, Taraba Student Dies In Hostel After Complaining Of Headache

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.