Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,797 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (32774 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: All we do is complain of how bad our education is,we criticize everything without actions but i will tell you one thing prof.I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MONUMENT ERECTED FOR A CRITIC.Unilorin has shown corresponding and positive action to Nigeria education.

I should be clear. I respect that University of Ilorin seems to have a clear sense of what they want to do. They are my colleagues and their success is also my success. If you have read my posts carefully, you will realize that I want TERTIARY EDUCATION IN NIGERIA to come up (not ASUU as a union). Anything that brings that dream closer should be lauded. If we have to fire all the lecturers to do it, fine. If the students are the ones that checkmate us, cool.

However, it is just unfair that Unilorin lives on the sweat of others to shine. They would not be anywhere close to where they are today but for the valiant fight of others.

Posterity evens everything out long-term.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
furezra: Prof Femi thank you. Since Federal Government isn't listening to this plea, why don't you call off the strike and fight another time. Also schools generate income. You get income from school fees from students, Rent for stores, transport services. I believe you can source funds from within to run the school very well. Most school leaders are corrupt like FG. They don't have the students at heart

All your questions/suggestions have been answered previously. I'm sure you're not too lazy to read long posts grin
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by indoorlove(m): 3:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
An indepth analysis and insightful write up plus great responses i have read since the beginning of ASUU-FG dilema. Considering how most our of Lecturers pride themselves in arrogance, i think prof.femi should be commended for this selfless task of educating us on the issues at hand. That said, you really won't blame us (students) for being sceptical due to the fact that we have alway been the victims of deciet in the past, believing this whole thing without proper questioning might just go the way of the past. I can only pray and hope that this course being channel by ASUU would be for the interest of all of us and not for the selected few as it has always being. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 3:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
@Prof well I can seemly believe you because of your effort on this public forum. While many of your colleagues are at home, you have taken out time to carry us along. However, please note that I am not happy with you and your colleagues and you do not deserve to call a strike when your hands are dirty.

I passed through a Nigerian university without grounding myself on the basics on health science. I never saw an E.coli but read about it alot. I can virtually describe glycolysis to you without knowing the impact. I went through hell from lecturers who were not there to assist me. I was personally victimised by a HOD who gave verbal instruction to reduce my score from A to E because we had an issue over departmental finances and this was after I have paid the money. My script was not marked, he literally threw away my scripted and told me I will never graduate. Thank God I finally graduated without any carry overs and one of the best in my graduating class.

In my 3rd year, I made up my mind to abandon the field to finance. I am very glad I did. My experience with universities abroad sent a cold fever to me. I was strange to the care that lecturers show to their student and the knowledge I obtained and I wanted to learn more. The teaching technique was just too relevant to the happenings of the world. Curriculum was adjusted to address pertinent issues currently happening. Workshops were organised and world business leaders were recruited to come speak with to us.

Now prof your prayer is that I do not gain public office that will have anything to do with universities because believe me it will not be funny and I am not joking. Jonathan is kind with ASUU nonsense. Me I will revolutionised the system and where your colleagues will not work I will sack them, increase the salary and recruit the 1st class students to take up their jobs. Guess what, I will put the military at university gates to frown very hard. I am angry with you and your ASUU colleagues. I personally do not know you. You may be nice, however do not see my emotional outburst as prejudice to you or your colleagues. The excesses of lecturers are too much to keep mute about. They are a pain to students on a regular day and yet are causing more pains again with this strike.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 3:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
oxford: in my interaction thus far with the prof he has admitted that:

1. Some part of ASUU demand is silly - like asking for the transfer of landed property to university

2. If he is in GEJ shoe he wont met ASUU demand in full riight now but will explain to them "sincere" position of things

3. Most lecturers are unqualified, corrupt and unfit to be in the university system

having made him admit the aforementioned, i have no further interest in this discussion.

Thank you all

I am totally thrilled that you have taken yourself and your inane, defeatist logic out of this conversation. I read your initial posts with mounting disbelief that anyone could be so silly.

The problem I've noticed with you and many other Nairalanders here is the fallacy of hasty generalization, as well as a chronic desire to reach for hyperbole at every moment. There ARE crooked lecturers. Some are womanizers. Some are extremely cruel. That much I agree. But saying "Most lecturers are 'unqualified, corrupt and unfit'" is as m0r0nic as someone saying "most students are cultists and brutal killers" because they've had bad experiences with cultists.

I feel sorry for prof.femi. He has displayed more tolerance than I would have, but it must feel like casting 'pearls before swine' at the moment. This is a forum where people like you will call lecturers out for being 'unqualified' yet complained bitterly when ASUU went on strike to press for more befitting remuneration for its members. I graduated in 2004. The best graduating student in Engineering in my set finished with a GPA of 4.89. The school offered this Electrical/Electronics Engineering graduate automatic employment. Do you know what the young Engineer did? He turned it down to become a cashier at Zenith Bank. So where are the qualified lecturers to come from when the best and brightest grads see the current system as not being lucrative enough, or are put off by the decaying infrastructure ?

We face a critical time in our history. We NEED to DRAMATICALLY improve out tertiary educational system with enough investment to boost infrastructure, hire better talent and motivate existing talent. We NEED to do this quickly!

Sometimes, the utter lack of shame in many of you undergraduates (and fresh graduates) makes me laugh. You do not feel shame that accounting graduates need to be put through a long training program to enter any of these local banks. You do not feel shame that your laboratories do not work. You do not feel shame that your country touts a space program that none of your Universities offers. You do not feel shame that homeless palestinians can build Qassam II rockets while your graduates will struggle to even put together a garden variety solid-fuel rocket with blackpowder propellant. You do not feel shame that private universities like Covenant Uni are outpacing the venerable Universities.

ASUU has my support in this strike, 100%. Full support to the Resident Doctors Strike. This is the crucial moment where we choose to be patriotic and reposition Nigeria for the future...or when we accept our place as the 'cannon fodder' for the rest of Africa. Such a shame some of you are all too willing to slip into bovine complacency and accept a future where we are subservient to the likes of Ghana. The race is NEVER about resources and population...which is why Israel (with a MUCH higher focus on Education and Technology) is easily able to outmuscle the likes of Saudi Arabia.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Idrismusty97(m): 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Unilorin has its successes. It also benefits from goodwill because people see them as more organized, whereas, most of the benefits they are enjoying are fought for by our sweat and the tears of our students.

But more to the point: even with all of that, please pick up a ranking of the universities in Nigeria (either webometric or by pure research) to see whether university of Ilorin is "better by far".
Here is your ranking prof.

http://www.4icu.org/ng/

Unilorin came 5th and i assured you prof,The longer the strike progresses,unilorin will rise to the top in Nigeria and even african.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
The problem facing the educational sector is not peculiar to the educational sector but a nationwide "epidemic". ASSU, NASU, FG, students and the society at large are all culprits. The problem is Nigerians' attitude to life. Yes! Our value system.Materialism forms the nucleus of our problem. We need to redefine essence of life in this country. I sincerely believe that the required funding, if given, may not achieve the desired result- not in this corruption-ridden society? The only thing that can solve this problem is genuine resolve by relevant stakeholders most especially the academia and the society at large. What has the academia done with the little they have been given by the government or generated internally? Just like the biblical story of a man that was given a coin who buried it on the pretext that it was smaller compared to what was given to others(correct me if I am wrong), ASUU needs to convince people that they can be trusted with huge resources when are yet to manage judiciously the little they had. It is evident that the FG no longer respects the academia and why should they when the little they get produces no tangible and verifiable results! Giving the money without a rebirth of the academia will result in colosal waste- about #16b sunk into NEPA/PHCN is a reference here. Is the academia ready to purge itself of the unproffessional attitude of most (yes most!) of its members?! They are yet to demonstrate that.
Besides, the govt also seems not genuinely ready to solve the problem. There are 'power that bes' among both parties that are scheming on the amount they could possibly grabbed out of the largess
The solution actually lies in genuine rebirth of the academia. The academia that is desirous of making impact in the society without expecting too much in return and the larger society that is ready to shun and ridicule materialism, eulogise people of character and achievers- the society that is ready to hold elected/appointed leaders accountable, devoid of sentiments but based on sound judgement. Without changing our value system, there is no solution in sight even if ASUU is given 100% of the budget!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: Now prof your prayer is that I do not gain public office that will have anything to do with universities because believe me it will not be funny and I am not joking. Jonathan is kind with ASUU nonsense. Me I will revolutionised the system and where your colleagues will not work I will sack them, increase the salary and recruit the 1st class students to take up their jobs. Guess what, I will put the military at university gates to frown very hard. I am angry with you and your ASUU colleagues. I personally do not know you. You may be nice, however do not see my emotional outburst as prejudice to you or your colleagues. The excesses of lecturers are too much to keep mute about. They are a pain to students on a regular day and yet are causing more pains again with this strike.

Hmm. People often become so embittered by the experiences they go through that they can carry out acts in haste that they end up regretting.

My friend, what you have just narrated IS A TESTIMONY to the problems facing the universities:

- inadequate funding
- (some) inept or unprofessional lecturers

Your exposure abroad should also reveal to you how universities are run. You know the truth, but you are allowing your dislike of ASUU to cloud your judgement.

ASUU and tertiary education in Nigeria are totally different things. You are allowed to hate ASUU, but that does not mean you should not acknowledge the truth. Heck, even I "hate" ASUU smiley . I usually cannot stand unionists, with all their Maxist ideas and conspiracy theories. But on this one, o, ASUU is right. Tertiary education is worth fighting for with everything we've got. I have been pounding away at my keyboard for hours, in dire need of food, but I always feel "let me convince this one person". Its *that* important to me.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by U235weapongrade: 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Unilorin has its successes. It also benefits from goodwill because people see them as more organized, whereas, most of the benefits they are enjoying are fought for by our sweat and the tears of our students.

But more to the point: even with all of that, please pick up a ranking of the universities in Nigeria (either webometric or by pure research) to see whether university of Ilorin is "better by far".

"BETTER BY FAR" - Prof Na wa for you O.so u get bad mouth Like dis
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by auhanson(m): 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Look @ Prof Femi thesis objectively, then you would see the very truth in it..

who else can take on Government to do what is right , or to be reminded(assuming they have forgotten because of so much politics) of their responsibilities towards the academic sector than ASUU?

Who else has ever had the boldness to address these academic decadence? In the 80's the 'oyibos';the Indians; the British etc use to come to our colleges and elementary school to study(i remember having some of them as friends then). How many of them still comes any more? have you ever asked yourself why?

ASUU may have their own pros and cons, why not just fund education well as it is done elsewhere to produce genuine professionals for to days manpower? then compel ASUU to deliver?

Must our educational sector die in peasantry for all sort of absolute mediocre, while the politician keeps on appreciating their take home at the expense of the important things that should be done first , while we keep crying falling standard of education and send our children overseas to go and obtain the right education? How many can afford this. Why don't we give the right education here with all the resources that mother nature has blessed us with?

Put down the right infrastructures, tools and equipment and everything will fall in place. Sift out the wanting lecturers and build a research educational sector as obtain in serious minded societies , but not all these excuses that we have today as politics as the order of the day as the only viable business in place in Nigeria. Cant you see that the real sector is all almost dying out if nothing is done soonest to intervene situation? what other language does government understand order than strikes? Can they take responsibility for any other thing than politics?

Can we all be doing "politics biz"? If its not politics, it is not funded..what a mess...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
obasy09: The solution actually lies in genuine rebirth of the academia. The academia that is desirous to make impact in the society without expecting too much in return and the larger society that is ready to shun and ridicule materialism, eulogise people of character and achievers- the society that is ready to hold elected/appointed leaders accountable, devoid of sentiments but based on sound judgement. Without changing our value system, there is no solution in sight even if ASUU is given 100% of the budget!

Hmm. You raise heavy issues. How does one change a value system? Its a weighty one, but I can give you the solution in simple terms:

FUND THE UNIVERSITIES TO ADEQUATE LEVELS BUT INSTALL ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICIES AGAINST LAZINESS, CORRUPTION, AND INEPTITUDE.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
au.hanson:
ASSU may have their own pros and cons, why not just fund education well as it is done elsewhere to produce genuine professionals for to days manpower? then compel ASSU to deliver?

You sir, must be Daniel ("a Daniel has come to judgement"wink. I agree wholeheartedly.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: Here is your ranking prof.

http://www.4icu.org/ng/

Unilorin came 5th and i assured you prof,The longer the strike progresses,unilorin will rise to the top in Nigeria and even african.

No worry. What I want you to wonder is: with all the strikes the other universities have been suffering, why has unilorin not left others behind? Look Karma is a [ ]. We academics are often a principled lot -otherwise I wouldn't even be lecturing in Nigeria! - and believe me, Unilorin will continue to do well (amen) but they will not leave others behind solely because they did not partake in the strike. If they do so, it will be because they are smarter than us.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
U235weapongrade: "BETTER BY FAR" - Prof Na wa for you O.so u get bad mouth Like dis
lol @bad mouth. Actually it just sort of came out that way, I wasn't planning to be snarky.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: After going through most of the posts on this thread, my verdict still remains that the solution to the problems in our university system does not lie in ASUU or their incessant strikes. In fact, ASUU is part of the problem.

We must not forget that ASUU strikes did not start today. ASUU has been going on strikes since the late 70s. The problems for which ASUU embarked on strike in 2013 are similar to those for which ASUU called for strikes in the past, including the late 70s.

So what has changed? Today its president Jonathan versus new ASUU president but the ISSUES are the same. The problems are the same. What do we do to a strategy that has not worked since the 70s? It is only a fool that keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

From my understanding of the issues, once a new leadership of ASUU emerges, they announce their presence through strike. If not for this current strike, many Nigerians were not aware that ASUU now has a new leadership. It seems the performance of the leadership of ASUU is based on the number or lenght of strikes it embarks upon within its tenure.

Yes, there are problems in our universities but these problems CANNOT and can NEVER be solved by ASUU strikes. If the strikes embarked upon by ASUU since the 70s have not solved these problems, why would that of 2013 be different? If 3 decades after ASUU embarked on its first strike we are still talking about the same problems, then shouldn't we be looking for new and creative ways of solving these problems?

If anything, I think incessant strikes have WORSENED the problems. Strikes only provide temporary benefits for the lecturers and maybe in some cases more funds for the schools. But these little benefits could have also been achieved through other means without shutting down the schools.

Moreover, what we need is not temporary benefits. We need a SYSTEM that WORKS. We need a SYSTEM that is sustainable. We need a SYSTEM that is predictable. We need is system that will yield long term benefits and on a continuous basis. We a need a SYSTEM that is consistent.

We do not need ASUU. ASUU, by embarking on incessant strikes, is now part of the problem. It does not make sense to CONSISTENTLY distort/destroy the academic calender in the name of fighting for improved quality education. Whatever gains ASUU makes from the current strike has been outweighed by the the distortions the strike has created already in the academic calender system.

Here is my sincere and honest long term solution to the problems. We need to find away to proscribe ASUU or make it irrelevant. Govt (state and federal) have to hands off the control of higher education system and provide only annual grants (fixed by NASS) to them. The universities created by states will get their fixed grants from their state govt. Under this arrangement, the universities will have the independence and autonomy to fix their fees, generate revenue, run the programmes of their choice and determine their future. Their will be healthy competition which will engender progress and development in our higher institution. The NUC will continue to monitor the universities to ensure strict compliance with set standards. Any labour issue will be dealt with locally. UNN will not be strike because the Vice Chancelor of Unilag is having issues with his lecturers, and vice-versa. This is the arrangement that will guarantee SUSTAINABLE progress and development in the systems. (Note: This solution is blind to the RESONALITIES in power now. President Jonathan was not in power in the 70s, 80s, 90s,etc when ASUU went on strike. Those in power today may not be in power tomorrow).

Those who desire higher education should be ready to pay for it. After all, when they go to Ghana and other countries, they find ways of paying their fees. While basic education is compulsory, higher education is not.

The funds ASUU is currently asking for will better serve the nation if pumped into the BASIC education system. That is where govt, at all levels, have to pump in more funds. Until we fix the basic education systems we will continue to churn out unemployable graduates from our higher institutions even if we pump $100 billion into the universities.

There you are...Nairaland's resident Esau cheesy

After the blind eye turned to the insane amount of oil being stolen in the creeks, the blind eye to the educational sector constitutes the second major act of treason this FG is carrying out against the Nigerian state. One would think President Jonathan would know better as a former academician, but apparently there is more interest in centenary celebration and witch-hunting political enemies than fixing the engine room of Nigeria.

I'm glad you say you want a system that works...a consistent system. Please advice your paymaster to accede to ASUU's demands, provide the funds to 'transform' Nigeria's universities and see if strikes will remain commonplace.

The Government's stance does not surprise me, though. Afterall, in the 2011 'debate' that starred GEJ, he was asked about the problems facing Nigerian Universities.
His Answer? "the only problem facing Nigerian Universities is poor hostel accommodation". I will never forget how i broke down in uncontrollable laughter grin

You think the money ASUU requests is daunting? it isn't. If the FG does the job we elected them for and work towards
1. Eliminating or drastically reducing oil bunkering and flowline theft
2. Eliminating the rampant corruption in the Fuel Subsidy payments and NNPC/Petroleum ministry, saving hundreds of billions of Naira
3. Spend less money on frivolous celebrations, pay-off for militants etc

The money to save Nigeria's future could be realized without much furore.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Idrismusty97(m): 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:
However, it is just unfair that Unilorin lives on the sweat of others to shine. They would not be anywhere close to where they are today but for the valiant fight of others.
Unilorin lives only on there common sense to shine.Lukily the issue of sharing of allowances is handed over to TEFUND.by observing your above comment,If it is in ASUU hand i am sure unilorin will not have a dine from it.Are you trying to say that unilorin dont need any FG fund?,Are they not part of the 64 government tertiary institutions of Nigeria?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Hmm. You raise heavy issues. How does one change a value system? Its a weighty one, but I can give you the solution in simple terms:

FUND THE UNIVERSITIES TO ADEQUATE LEVELS BUT INSTALL ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICIES AGAINST LAZINESS, CORRUPTION, AND INEPTITUDE.

Who will install zero-tolerance policies against laziness, corruption and ineptitude that you mentioned? The corrupt government or university administrators?!
Which one should come first?- the funding or eradicating the obvious rot in the system?!
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
uzoexcel: @ prof femi plz i would need ur input in the second paragraph of my post.
btw, thank you again for spending your time 'trolling' with us in a matured manner... grin grin grin. God bless

So sorry I skipped your post first time and second time! I'm seriously overworked, and no pay smiley

I believe your second paragraph is the one that talks about outdated curricula and teaching methods. Look, I'll be honest with you. The mentality of many academics is just not it. These things require a level of effort that many of us are just not wiling to give.

Having said that, there is some fine print o.

- one big problem is that the under-funding of education provides a glut of academic jobs, and lectures end up jumping from school to school. With such a high demand on the few "good" (hehe) lecturers, people sometimes have little time to invest in their real day jobs

- there are little or no room for us to demand more of ourselves (not just in lecturing o, its all over the country). One of the bitter lessons I learnt early on is that you are not supposed to tell someone how he could have done something better (forget about telling nicely; just don't do it!)

- not to sound like a broken record, but it comes to the same thing: fund education and demand performance. You will be able to recruit a new crop of smart guys and as someone has suggested, rebirth academia

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
obasy09: Which one should come first?- the funding or eradicating the obvious rot in the system?!
Oho, so it is so easy to stamp out rot or corruption in Nigeria? Pray tell me WHERE IN THE WHOLE OF NIGERIA is rot-free o? Or can you provide evidence that the universities are more corrupt than *anywhere* else in Nigeria?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by lobell: 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Can I ask you: when should we start to *plan* to be industrialized? Even if government injected those funds today, the real impact would not be felt till 10 years (my random estimate). Per my opinion, you're making two mistakes:

1. The context is different now than it was when the US and the others you mentioned came up. We run a *global*, mobile economy now, which means that the NEED created by industrialization elsewhere is felt EVERYWHERE. Otherwise, can you explain why countries such as India and Taiwan are benefiting so much from industrialization primarily in the US

2. That government cannot address the problems of education at all levels simultaeously. Can you please tell me what aspects of primary and secondary schools are so hard (or expensive) to repair that government needs a pass from taking care of the universities to tend to?

Sir, you forgot to mention that improving the pri and sec education sectors actually starts from the university which keeps churning out half-baked teachers for our pri and sec schools (as exposed in the media, they cant spell their names and pass exams they set for their students) who produce unqualified students for the 'bad' universities who graduate worse than their teachers and the vicious cycle continues...I weep for my country Nigeria...
When I uploaded the 2009 agreement I expected a million takers to void or uphold the points raised therein. Can you believe sir that up till this moment, not even one person has commented on that thread (either for or against. 50 views at last count)...this shows several things wrong with our mindsets and which we need to change
1. We don't read
2. We don't really understand what we read, if we do
3. We are not capable of independent thought without recourse to bias and sentiments (one should not wonder why seeing as we all passed through the same school system)
Like a mentioned in a post sometime ago we are not exactly producing the same level of graduates giving the state of things. There is such a thing as diminishing returns. for instance My MSc and PhD supervisor was taught by a Prof. that used and NMR machine (A very fancy machine that helps chemists 'see' atoms grin). At last count we have/had only in the country at Great Ife. It was managed and operated by a Prof. who should be making himself more useful churning out graduate students rather than sit on a machine day in day out. Anyways, My supervisor was taught from a textbook (he never saw nor touched one). He taught me from his head I think because when I entered school there weren't that many textbooks. Therefore quality has reduced. I was teaching my students from what I learnt (but didn't understand) from my Prof. who taught me from his head who was taught from textbooks. Please, seriously how will my own students begin to understand what I'm teaching them? That is why that course records probably the highest casualty in my Department with the class size swelling each year cos of carry-over students.
I decided to break this 'curse' and 'bondage'. I sponsored myself to Univ. KwaZulu Natal, South Africa(3months), with my own money from my own pocket, where I saw and touched and used shege comot from their 2NMR machines (Glory, Halleluyah). My life never remained the same. I went to Univ. of St. Andrews, Scotland (6months)courtesy PTDF where they had 5general use NMR and about 2 or 3 for individual groups' use shocked. I went to Univ of Michigan US (9months) courtesy Fulbright where they had...wait for it...13NMRs...omo I felt like dying and going to heaven...I want to abandon my country. The confidence with which I teach and the level of understanding of the students has increased tremendously. For the first time in so many years the class size has reduced. Just imagine what the success rate would have been if we had just 1NMR and the students got to use it.
The type and level of research I got done in those few short months have not been seen nor will they be seen in my school for a very long time and that's a veeeeery loooooong time.
I have interacted with students in all these schools and I can say with a very high level of confidence that even their undergrads are doing better research than our PhD.
So nobody should tell me that ASUU is being greedy cos in all earnestness what they are asking for does not even begin to cut it in terms of infrastructure.
Oh by the way an NMR machine...a very modest one...with cost upto 100m...it will cost about as much to maintain it for a year...you can do the math for all the universities in Nigeria. And that is for just one piece of equipment...man we are not just sleeping we are snoring and drooling saliva on the pillows.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 4:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: Unilorin lives only on there common sense to shine.Lukily the issue of sharing of allowances is handed over to TEFUND.by observing your above comment,If it is in ASUU hand i am sure unilorin will not have a dine from it.Are you trying to say that unilorin dont need any FG fund?,Are they not part of the 64 government tertiary institutions of Nigeria?

Come, no need to take that tone. I called unilorin lecturers my colleagues. I said whatever improves tertiary education in Nigeria is cool, even the progress of unilorin. What makes you conclude then that I would withhold money (since for the purpose of this discussion, I am ASUU, hehe) from unilorin?

I just took the stand that it is unfair that unilorin gets to benefit from the results of our struggle, and worse yet, act holier-than-thou about it. What is so wrong in that view?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by lobell: 4:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: Unilorin lives only on there common sense to shine.Lukily the issue of sharing of allowances is handed over to TEFUND.by observing your above comment,If it is in ASUU hand i am sure unilorin will not have a dine from it.Are you trying to say that unilorin dont need any FG fund?,Are they not part of the 64 government tertiary institutions of Nigeria?
I'm privy to some information on the UNILORIN progress... The last time ASUU went on strike and UNILORIN didn't...I'm not so sure on the dates (I think it was during the sacked-49-saga)...A lot of money came to the country specifically for tertiary institutions via the WORLD BANK. As per UNILORIN was the only school that was functioning they got all the money meant for several universities. That kick-started their progress and they have left others miles behind which also supports the theory that more funds will translate to better and more progress. If the money had been split...I can bet my left hand that UNILORIN wouldn't have been where they are today.
Call it providence or sheer luck or whatever you will, I still stand by my conclusions...MONEY MATTERS A LOT!!! Any university in the same situation would have progressed as much or even more.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
@ Prof I will not deny the fact that our universities need funding. I will not also deny the fact that the government has abandoned education. My first concern is that these monies, when disbursed, will not be used for the same reason the strike action is being held. My other concern is that you and your colleagues are intellectuals (I think so) and you have admitted that funding is your problem. Let us be honest, government cannot do everything alone, I am getting so tired of all of us pushing our responsibilities to government. True, government has neglected the universities but universities cannot only rely on government alone for its funding. Heck... I remember my finance faculty have funding issues, it became a project to raise money and it was fun because what we are being taught is to be implemented. Guess what we raised more than we require and how? by sending out proposal to companies and following up with physical visitation.

Since funding is your problem, determine your funding needs and the projects you need to implement in your university. Prepare a proposal to companies and rich alumni requesting for funds. For christ sake, you are a not-for-profit organisation and that is what NFPs do. Now Prof, you can see that there are several ways to resolve a problem and when you restrict yourself to ONLY ONE WAY, it makes you appear stupid. A big reason you colleagues need to update themselves.

Also, inform your colleagues that the Nigerian public is not as ignorant as they assume.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by chreldb(m): 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: @Prof well I can seemly believe you because of your effort on this public forum. While many of your colleagues are at home, you have taken out time to carry us along. However, please note that I am not happy with you and your colleagues and you do not deserve to call a strike when your hands are dirty.

I passed through a Nigerian university without grounding myself on the basics on health science. I never saw an E.coli but read about it alot. I can virtually describe glycolysis to you without knowing the impact. I went through hell from lecturers who were not there to assist me. I was personally victimised by a HOD who gave verbal instruction to reduce my score from A to E because we had an issue over departmental finances and this was after I have paid the money. My script was not marked, he literally threw away my scripted and told me I will never graduate. Thank God I finally graduated without any carry overs and one of the best in my graduating class.

In my 3rd year, I made up my mind to abandon the field to finance. I am very glad I did. My experience with universities abroad sent a cold fever to me. I was strange to the care that lecturers show to their student and the knowledge I obtained and I wanted to learn more. The teaching technique was just too relevant to the happenings of the world. Curriculum was adjusted to address pertinent issues currently happening. Workshops were organised and world business leaders were recruited to come speak with to us.

Now prof your prayer is that I do not gain public office that will have anything to do with universities because believe me it will not be funny and I am not joking. Jonathan is kind with ASUU nonsense. Me I will revolutionised the system and where your colleagues will not work I will sack them, increase the salary and recruit the 1st class students to take up their jobs. Guess what, I will put the military at university gates to frown very hard. I am angry with you and your ASUU colleagues. I personally do not know you. You may be nice, however do not see my emotional outburst as prejudice to you or your colleagues. The excesses of lecturers are too much to keep mute about. They are a pain to students on a regular day and yet are causing more pains again with this strike.

You admit that while in a Nigerian University you never saw a microorganism, and could not appreciate the relevance of biochemical pathways. If the laboratories in your department were relatively well equipped I am sure that you will agree with me that you would have had access to at least a microscope to view any prokaryotic cell available to you. And E.coli would definitely not be an exception due to its abundance.

You were unable to appreciate the relevance glycolytic pathway but I am sure if outdated facilities such as spectrophotometers were available you would have been able to carryout practicals using the outdated method of enzyme assays to characterise the activity of step in the pathway where one intermediate is coverted to the next. Or better still a quantitative polymerase chain reaction to determine the expression of the same enzyme proteins.

You admit that when you travelled overseas to study you were overwhelmed and appreciated the value of quality education and the difference was clear to you like 7up. So what exactly is your problem? Like you I have also seen the best of both worlds and that is why my full backing is with ASUU. TERTIARY EDUCATION IN NIGERIA IS A JOCK AND A MOCKERY TO THE NIGERIAN STUDENT. You have seen the better part of what education can offer and you do not want students in Nigeria who do not have the opportunity to school in a sane educational environment to have the same experience you had when you schooled abroad. That is callous of you sorry to say but that is the only meaning i can read into your statements. Because that is what ASUU is fighting for but you are against it.

Instead you propose the sack Professors and PhD holders to be replaced by untrained first degree holders who graduated from the rotten system you condemn with a higher pay than the professors to nurture and train future graduates of tomorrow. I can see you have some really bright ideas.

I worry for Nigeria when I see the comments from some graduates and undergraduates. Anyways hope lies in the fact that the your shall grow and their eyes might open.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Idrismusty97(m): 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:
I just took the stand that it is unfair that unilorin gets to benefit from the results of our struggle, and worse yet, act holier-than-thou about it. What is so wrong in that view?
Comment like this is what made me come up with that tone.You keep mentioning your struggle,your sweat and the likes.With wisdom any organization will rise with little or no resources.What i am trying to imply is that ASUU did not contribute to the success of unilorin period.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=chreld_b][/quote]

please pardon my blunders. I was very emotional typing and never bothered to edit.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by awodman: 5:05pm On Oct 11, 2013

I think, if you read my post, it either makes a case for the challenges facing education, and why I feel the ASUU strike is for that cause (as well as our allowances, which I never apologized for. We earned them). You can either agree with the arguments I made in my post, or fault them. I will meet you when you fault them.
Prof you parried my question..I simply asked why tell us you are going on strike because of your allowance(Nasir Fagge was emphatic on this) and along the line you now claim to be fighting for good education..is that not the height of Deceit?
Meanwhile I admit there are challenges bedeviling our tertiary education

Has the government come out at any point to reject ASUU's calculations? To the best of my knowledge, the calculations were done using formulas that were agreed to (at least in principle, if nothing else) with government. If government wanted oversight over the process, don't tell me NUC could not have done that for them.
Yes the govt has come out to reject the calculations..according to them the 30 billion released to governing councils is for starters..the governing councils have been told to pay from that and verify the outstanding payments for onward inclusion in 2014 budget
nigerianews.disnaija.com/imo-state-blog/futo-governing-council-directs-lectures-to-return-to-work-or-forfeit-their-salaries/#

You speak as if they sat on this for months, with the ASUU guys agreeing all along and then suddenly crying out. Like I told someone earlier, working with government, there is so much smoke and mirrors that one needs to be careful. I assure you that when the ASUU guys realized what was happening, they objected at the earliest opportunity. That is the information I have and I will stand by it until corrected.
To the best of my knowledge the ASUU rep led the technical committee on implementation of NEEDS assessment report and wrote the report...why cry wolf over a report in which you drafted?

Good question. I admit to you that part of this is down to academics themselves. You see, there is red tape in the system. On the other hand though, most of the red tape is there because of heavy-handed attempts at installing check and balances. However, I am also made to understand that the government often frustrates implementers by refusing to release funds at the right time.
Prof please what do you mean by the bolded...isn't the aim making sure that every kobo released to our universities is judiciously used so as to raise the standards
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by lockedOut: 5:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is a fantastic read for anyone that has the patience to go through the thread. While going through the thread, I have gotten a good business idea and also come up somewhat with some thoughts of my own concerning this ASUU strike.

I was once a victim of ASUU strike and even back then I was always in support of the actions of ASUU then and even now because of the decay in the educational system. What I find annoying and amusing is why ASUU bulges everytime, what I have always clamoured for is for them to holdback till all the demands are met. Enough of royal fathers and religious leaders placating on behalf of the federal government and pleading with ASUU to resume work. It has never worked and it will never work, its a known fact (albeit shamefully) that the Nigerian government does not stick to its words! I hope this strike lingers on and ends once and for all. Even if it takes two years as long as the end justifies the means so be it. I know alot of children will suffer but at this stage if they go on and call of the strike without any concrete plans from the federal government to re develop the educational sector then ASUU leaders do not really know what they want.

We can all sit here and talk about how bad the federal government is but now to the ASUU case, if the federal government shold accede to the demands of ASUU they should also include a performance clause into what ever MOU they sign, put correct checks and balances in place to curtail the obvious excesses of the NIgerian lecturers. Setup a committee/board that will look into cases of molestation of students and also lecturers who feel aggrieved with the system. I will spare the readers some of these excesses but we all know them. That way a lecturer knows he is not above the LAW since in most cases there are no laws guarding the lecturers

TO the issue at and and a resolution to the problem. I will suggest the lecturers be ready for a pay cut (as it seems the federal government cannot really fund education in its entirety which is quite obvious as there are many lingering problems that facing education alone will be catalytic on the environment. As harsh as this may sound, parents must begin to bear some cost of education. We can have a tier structural system whereby a student pays 50 40 30 and 20 percent of his/her schools from year one to the finals. Also universities can do away with some support staffs in exchange for students doing this roles and in turn using their salaries to pay for their school fees and also have something to save for themselves.

Also the federal government can set-up a bank or set-up a framework whereby students can access interest free loans to pay for their tuition fees, in exchange that the bank will be with the original copy their certificates. It is obvious the federal government cannot fully pay for the cost of education in the country and the best way to go about this is having a tiered structured paying system (whichever way it pleases everyone). Private individuals can be brought in to fund varsities with the option of being part owners and setting up a framework whereby the part owners will get their money over a stretch of time. Some of these ideas are quite ambiguous right now but I will expatiate later if clarifications are needed.

There are many other solutions at hand that can help reduce the incessant ASUU strike. I believe our think within the box attitude is what is still making ASUU go on strike while we agree that the sum required to resuscitate the ailing Nigerian educational system is gargantuan a fit all solution exists though everyone will have to bare the cost of this solution. Both the parents, the federal goverment and the lecturers themselves. ...

p.s: I just had to put this down now before it flies off, I need to run off will come back and edit. if you do not get some of my pls bear with me.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by duality(m): 5:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
Prof femi,

Honestly, which of these sectors do you really think the govt should spend more money on Now.

- University education? (ASUU)
- Primary and secondary education?
- The power sector ?
- Health sector?
- Road infrastructure?
- Security? (Or do you like the policing in Nigeria?)
-Agriculture?

Do you think these areas need attention as much as ASUU does?

Which of them should we apply the " alternative forgone " theory we learnt in economics. If you want to compare Ghana and Nigeria in the areas of University education and use that as a hold for a prolonged industrial action; should we also forget other areas that contribute to the indices of development? because of the perception of their university system?

Now the govt may not have the type of money to make ASUU call off the strike, at this very moment. Which of these sectors do you think we should sacrifice for ASUU.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by folash: 5:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

I am saddened that you turn out to be a lying coward. Is this the import of our discussion? Thank God people can read for themselves.
Hi prof, to say av taken my time to read and digest ur post,and all the comments on this thread is an understatement, and I wanna say thnks for taking out ur tym to elucidate all on ds vry sensitive issue; even if u weren't totally factual in all regards,which is vry understandable considering the fact that u also under the ASUU umbrella.
Buh your last comment to oxford in which u called him a coward was totally uncalled for,I undrstnd dt u myt be miffed with his earlier utterances which ws rude and unrefined, buh dere ws rily no need for exchanging words wiv him,considering somebody of ur calibre and position. And in actual fact cos dere ws absolutely no lie in wat he said. U actually at a point in this thread agreed dt u weren't gona pay ASUU d whole sum they are demanding if u were d president, and u also agreed dt we have some inept lecturers in our universities which made u raise d question of where and how to get better lecturers.
Your earlier response to oxford and the likes of him ws full of maturity,and it wud be v[b]
prof.femi:

I am saddened that you turn out to be a lying coward. Is this the import of our discussion? Thank God people can read for themselves.
Hi prof, to say av taken my time to read and digest ur post,and all the comments on this thread is an understatement, and I wanna say thnks for taking out ur tym to elucidate all on ds vry sensitive issue; even if u weren't totally factual in all regards,which is vry understandable considering the fact that u also under the ASUU umbrella.
Buh your last comment to oxford in which u called him a coward was totally uncalled for,I undrstnd dt u myt be miffed with his earlier utterances which ws rude and unrefined, buh dere ws rily no need for exchanging words wiv him,considering somebody of ur calibre and position. And in actual fact cos dere ws absolutely no lie in wat he said. U actually at a point in this thread agreed dt u weren't gona pay ASUU d whole sum they are demanding if u were d president, and u also agreed dt we have some inept lecturers in our universities which made u raise d question of where and how to get better lecturers.
Your earlier response to oxford and the likes of him ws full of maturity,and it wud be v[/b]
prof.femi:

Your earlier response to oxford and the likes of him ws full of maturity,and it wud be well appreciated if we all continue on that line.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by complete1(m): 5:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Come, no need to take that tone. I called unilorin lecturers my colleagues. I said whatever improves tertiary education in Nigeria is cool, even the progress of unilorin. What makes you conclude then that I would withhold money (since for the purpose of this discussion, I am ASUU, hehe) from unilorin?

prof pls answer me,have any agreement been reached so far? Do we still have hope of resuming dis year? ASUU should know that its not d children of the politicians that are suffering..
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by chreldb(m): 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: @Prof well I can seemly believe you because of your effort on this public forum. While many of your colleagues are at home, you have taken out time to carry us along. However, please note that I am not happy with you and your colleagues and you do not deserve to call a strike when your hands are dirty.

You admit that while in a Nigerian University you never saw a microorganism, and could not appreciate the relevance of biochemical pathways. If the laboratories in your department were relatively well equipped I am sure that you will agree with me that you would have had access to at least a microscope to view any prokaryotic cell available to you. And E.coli would definitely not be an exception due to its abundance.

You were unable to appreciate the relevance glycolytic pathway but I am sure if outdated facilities such as spectrophotometers were available you would have been able to carryout practicals using the outdated method of enzyme assays to characterise the activity of step in the pathway where one intermediate is coverted to the next. Or better still a quantitative polymerase chain reaction to determine the expression of the same enzyme proteins.

You admit that when you travelled overseas to study you were overwhelmed and appreciated the value of quality education and the difference was clear to you like 7up. So what exactly is your problem? Like you I have also seen the best of both worlds and that is why my full backing is with ASUU. TERTIARY EDUCATION IN NIGERIA IS A JOCK AND A MOCKERY TO THE NIGERIAN STUDENT. You have seen the better part of what education can offer and you do not want students in Nigeria who do not have the opportunity to school in a sane educational environment to have the same experience you had when you schooled abroad. That is callous of you sorry to say but that is the only meaning i can read into your statements. Because that is what ASUU is fighting for but you are against it.

Instead you propose the sack Professors and PhD holders to be replaced by untrained first degree holders who graduated from the rotten system you condemn with a higher pay than the professors to nurture and train future graduates of tomorrow. I can see you have some really bright ideas.

I worry for Nigeria when I see the comments from some graduates and undergraduates. Anyways hope lies in the fact that the your shall grow and their eyes might open.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

List Of Nigeria Universities That Doesn't Require Jamb For Admission. / Patience Thomas, Taraba Student Dies In Hostel After Complaining Of Headache / Resumption Dates For ASUU Strike Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 210
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.