Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt (988 Views)

Why Did Fulani Herdsmen Attack The Enugu Catholic Church? / Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt / Picture: Vice President Sambo, Fmr Gov Obi & Others Riding The Enugu -PH Train (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by ozolity(m): 10:03am On Oct 10, 2013
I listened to the commissioner of transport Enugu speak on coal city fm yesterday on the proposed ban on trycicle operations and the requirements of private taxi operators to renew their fleet number in the city. The only reason he gave for this was that he wants Enugu to be like Manchester. What a foolish nd wicked comparison, why dont he compare the poverty rates in the two cities, why dont he compare the unemployment rates in the two cities. Why should a govt wake up one day and all taxi operators to obtain tracker which costs close to 30k annually, why should a govt of a state with one of the lowest in GDP per capita in the country ask tricycle operators who are in thousands to close business to come nd pick the govt politicized buses on higher purchase bases there by enslave them the more. Should Enugu develop like Manchester at the detriment of the poor in the society. Our silent achiever governor God is really watching. U ve done well in Enugu, but, I think its better you leave honorably, let history be our teacher. U dont do business with the poor, u dont force the old kabu kabus out of business, u dont deny the poor their genuine means of livelihood and u expect the God of the poor to keep silent. God is watching.
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 10, 2013
Guy, you're making too much noise, not every city is meant for poor folks, take your keke and move over to UNN atleast over there you can be shuttling students round the Campus. QED!

1 Like

Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by ozolity(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2013
INNO18: Guy, you're making too much noise, not every city is meant for poor folks, take your keke and move over to UNN atleast over there you can be shuttling students round the Campus. QED!
my friend, I am not a trycicle operator, but, lets condemn evil when we see one, today its keke, tomorrow it may be u.
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 10, 2013
ozolity: my friend, I am not a trycicle operator, but, lets condemn evil when we see one, today its keke, tomorrow it may be u.
Banning tricycle is no evil! Cities change, and the more a city evolves the more the need for modern amenities...Chime should be looking towards connecting Enugu with rail lines( i learnt he's already initiated it). So, bro, there's no space for outdated means of Transportation like bikes and tricycle in Enugu....you're still welcome in Anambra for the mean time though...
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by Datiboboi: 11:31am On Oct 10, 2013
~
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by kingbang: 11:35am On Oct 10, 2013
INNO18: Banning tricycle is no evil! Cities change, and the more a city evolves the more the need for modern amenities...Chime should be looking towards connecting Enugu with rail lines( i learnt he's already initiated it). So, bro, there's no space for outdated means of Transportation like bikes and tricycle in Enugu....you're still welcome in Anambra for the mean time though...

Banning tricycle without an alternative means of transportation is evil! Most Enugu are poor because there is serious unemployment in that state and so not all of them can afford cabs.
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 10, 2013
banning tricycles over cabs will cause traffic congestion. how many passengers does a car pick? 4 at most. how many passengers does a tricycle pick? 4 at most... do the calculation, its obvious that one car occupies the ground space of 3 tricycles...

the policy is crazy.
Re: Wickedness Of The Enugu State Govt by mekaboy(m): 11:45am On Oct 10, 2013
INNO18: Banning tricycle is no evil! Cities change, and the more a city evolves the more the need for modern amenities...Chime should be looking towards connecting Enugu with rail lines( i learnt he's already initiated it). So, bro, there's no space for outdated means of Transportation like bikes and tricycle in Enugu....you're still welcome in Anambra for the mean time though...

I support chime a lot but this case here, where a city with very low employment rate , less opportunities and the people are struggling to survive, govt should be very careful and tactical while making their policies.

Manchester did not become like that overnight. Someone did not wake up and make rules and the city changed.

Enugu does not have much to boast of, besides the fact that most business people come in on weekends to stay in hotels and carry girls from various universities.

Now their is an international airport which could possibly bring some opportunity to the state if properly handled. But trying to pretend and let visitors believe that enugu city is like manchester when they visit, by banning the tricycle operation, is like sweeping dirty under the carpet.

One day it will show and disgrace you. The reason why most developed countries are ahead of us is because of the value they place on information. They have enough information about their city , and this enables them to plan.

We don't have information therefore we don't plan, we just act and hope things turn out right.

Before such a policy, these steps should have been taken.

1, Get details of the number of tricycle operators in the city by asking them to register and get an I'd. Any tricycle operator in the city without an I'd will be arrested. This I'd will be very cheap to obtain.

2,With this data we know how many operators are in the city. Once we have that we can stop the issuing of ID .

3, Bring enough cars for taxi and buses that can cover the tricycle operators registered.

4, Give the 4 months ban notice and ask them to go and sign contracts to pick up the taxis and buses to pay on installment.

6. When they have received the cars, the operation of tricycles will be banned.

If not this will lead to insecurity in the state. When a lot of people do not have means of livelihood. Once enugu becomes insecure, the economy of the state will continue to take a downturn.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

‘if Jonathan’s Ambition Will Tear The Country Apart, Let It Happen’ / Nigeria: World's Toughest League To Get An Away Win? / Nelson Mandela, Revered Statesman And Anti-apartheid Leader, Dies At 95

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.