Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. (16777 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Sneh / The Meaning Of Doro Bucci / What Is The Meaning Of Skelewu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by HezronLorraine(m): 7:23pm On Oct 13, 2013
My attention as been drawn to the popular trend of Nigerian singers.

We keep going on and on about having the biggest and most active music industry in africa and one of the largest in the world.The music industry is said to be worth $700m.While this may be true,there is something our performers are yet to master which in comparison to other developed music industries is highly frowned upon.

This is the issue of Live Performance.With a large music sector like ours here in Nigeria with a large number of youths who pay attention to this sector it is not encouraging that our youths don't get the real value of music from the artiste they love too much.

Live performance is supposed to be the performance of a song to a live audience on a stage at a concert/show/ceremony where a singer sings a song to a live band playing instrumentals and back up singers as the case may be.

Live performance is not playing the recorded version of the artiste song while the singer sings to it as his original song is played in the background.
This is Lip-Synchronization.You're mouthing words to an already recorded song without a live band playing instrumentals as your voice takes the lead.

I'm very sure you all would agree with me that our Nigerian artiste only lip-sync their songs and earn huge amounts of money for the shows while we stand and listen to them giving us half-baked performances.

If we're to make a comparison,you'll agree with me that the likes of Beyonce,Rihanna,Lady Gaga,Justin Bierbier and the dead Whitney Houston had at one point puked on stage from anxiety and over-preparation for a live performance cause they know their die-hard fans deserves a real performance and they must enjoy what they came for.American artiste are known to practice with their bands for tours of which the lead singer sings the song as if its a new song with the instrumentals to back up the vocals.

Do we remember the Obama Second Term Inaugauration where the Popular Music goddess Beyonce was criticised for lip-syncing her performance.The 3minute performance was expected to be given the best as she was expected to be best prepared for it.

In Conclusion:This is to tell Nigerian Musicians to learn the culture of Live Performance,they should practice with their bands and give the audience mind-blowing performances and stop mouthing to their songs.I believe a lot of youtube videos of foreign artiste are available at their disposal to help them learn just in case they don't get how.

I hope they get this message or somehow it is related to them and we should expect a change from them.

Thank you.

Hezron Lorraine.

30 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nice write up Hez,but u must realise that most of our musical artiste are not well bred in the art of music.They know little or nothing.Some just realised they kud sing,or so they think,get a producer who perhaps operates with a laptop and there goes an album.If the said album becomes a hit,coz every danceable crap is a hit here,how then do u expect a true live performance from this artiste.Truth is,you can't give what you don't have.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
Beats me too. Not enough preparation is put into their vocal training, cos I doubt if they'll last more than an hour if they are to go without lip-synching.

In Nigeria, people only pay to SEE the artistes live anyway. Most performances here are dance-influenced, so the crowd may not care much about the lip-synching. All they wanna do is see the artiste and dance away.

The only live performance I see myself going to is either that of Asa or Flavour. Those ones wouldn't fail me. Inyanya only cos of the obvious.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Dygeasy(m): 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2013
I'm Waiting For That Time.

Its In Hip-Hop Naija Music That Shyt Happens. Fuji, Apala And Juju Musicians, Give Live Performances.

Most Hip-Hop Musicians Don't Even Have The Voice To Sing. Most Of Their Recorded Songs Are Auto-Tuned So Much. Don't Blame Them, Blame The System And The Audience.

Some Try Live Bands Though. Burna Boy Does, D'banj At Times, Wizkid Too.

... Nigeria Is In A Sorry State All Round.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by HezronLorraine(m): 8:11pm On Oct 13, 2013
^^
Very true.Fuji,Juju,apala singers do have live performances.

Its time our artiste understand the art of music,discover their real passion for it.Most of our singers either sing about women,sex or money.The female singers sing about love and other inspirations unlike the males.I think they should find the real passion not just following going into the studio to sing anything.

From there,they need to work on themselves.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nomski0(f): 8:15pm On Oct 13, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: ^^
Very true.Fuji,Juju,apala singers do have live performances.

Its time our artiste understand the art of music,discover their real passion for it.Most of our singers either sing about women,sex or money.The female singers sing about love and other inspirations unlike the males.I think they should find the real passion not just following going into the studio to sing anything.

From there,they need to work on themselves.
So true. Nigerian music industry needs songwriters. They dont have to know how to sing, they should just know how to write really inspirational and sensible lyrics.undecidedundecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Dygeasy(m): 8:46pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nomski0:
So true. Nigerian music industry needs songwriters. They dont have to know how to sing, they should just know how to write really inspirational and sensible lyrics.undecidedundecided
Yeah Right!

But Those Insensible And Uninspirational Lyrics And Songs Have Been So Injected Into Our Blood Stream That Before Limpopo's First Line Gets Sung, You've Shaken Your Yansh 5 times Already.

gringringrin

Naija Is Pathetic Swit!

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 13, 2013
Most nigerian artistes don't deserve the 'musician' appellation, they are at best entertainers, most of them can't even play basic instruments so live band performances would be a long shot for them, they just keep spewing out cheap meaningless auto-tuned diatribes.....some exceptions tho like asa,nneka and those who perform in the traditional genre

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Indifferent(m): 8:07am On Oct 14, 2013
@OP, the truth is that you wont enjoy this life performance because u won't hear the same voice u hear on radio.
Also performers like Terry G will lose breath to sing with, cos they be jumping around with their energy. Only Rnb stars who sing with their natural voice can do that.
Sumarry: Leave am like that, we dey enjoy am.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by repogirl(f): 10:25am On Oct 14, 2013
As for me I don't care whether they lip-sync or not, I just go to live performances to enjoy the music and ogle shirtless performers. grin, dbanj, psquare, iyanya are my favorites.

besides, foreign artistes do lip sync these days. Even Whitney, bless her soul. Britney, Beyonce, Rihanna, even gaga does lip sync some times, it depends on the show. Gaga lip-synced in her performance in d last VMA's.

I have seen some of our Nigerian artists perform to their music without lip syncing although their music plays in the background. MI, DBanj, Tiwa savage, flavour. You hear their voices.

Performance isn't easy jare, give them some credit, most of them are not as wack as nilly vanilly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by airmark(m): 10:35am On Oct 14, 2013
Too much studio voice mixing will not let most of them survive the challenge of the live performance. They will just choke.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by glo3nity: 11:07am On Oct 14, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]True indeed...
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 14, 2013
Tonto dike's voice can destroy a whole nation.
grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 14, 2013
emmysenior: Tonto dike's voice can destroy a whole nation.
grin

Is that why we're here? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by RioFernandez(m): 11:17am On Oct 14, 2013
Must u talk? Is it every rain that falls u wil put ur bucket. Mtcheww.. Next topic jhoor
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by poshpimkiey(f): 11:19am On Oct 14, 2013
how true. but den, d fans kwanu...do they really go to hear the artistes sing or to watch them jump abot the stage. after all the studio mixing, which voice u wan hear na.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by modele2: 11:23am On Oct 14, 2013
Once went for a live show and people actually complained that one of our artistes shuld have just lip synched as he was just breathing down hard on the microphone. The others that lip synched were duly praised. Most nigerians dont care.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Tintinnoty(m): 11:24am On Oct 14, 2013
Dygeasy:
... Nigeria Is In A Sorry State All Round.
rude of you to say Nigeria is a sorry state in all ramifications.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by halfcurrent(m): 11:25am On Oct 14, 2013
@Poster, on point!! Good observation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by stevebond007(m): 11:28am On Oct 14, 2013
best stage performance psquare; dbanj. worst stage performance 9ice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by trent9002(m): 11:28am On Oct 14, 2013
Most foreign singers lip sync and use autotune too. So, what are you saying?
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by johnwizey: 11:28am On Oct 14, 2013
Are u expecting a live performance of GOBE by Davido or Durosoke by Olamide or Personally by Psquare Just try to picture it nd see hw it will sound. Live performance to me is meant for RnB, Reggae and Fuji singers certainly nt Hip-hop. BTW wu goes to a concert to witness live performance ds days All i wanna see is a semi nude girl shakin her bakassi lyk d one in Wande Coal the kick video (dose girls are endowed sha) and sippin my alomo wit guguru
Just leave am lyk dat we dey gbadun am

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by wheesin(m): 11:28am On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 14, 2013
This is why my best Nigerian artistes will continue bein. Timi Dakolo, Asa, Bez and others like them. These people sit down to compose songs. Not our regular gbam gbam gbim gbim music

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 14, 2013
mollytinrox:

Is that why we're here? grin

Talk about good terrible voice and she comes to ur mind.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 14, 2013
johnwizey: Are u expecting a live performance of GOBE by Davido or Durosoke by Olamide or Personally by Psquare Just try to picture it nd see hw it will sound. Live performance to me is meant for RnB, Reggae and Fuji singers certainly nt Hip-hop. BTW wu goes to a concert to witness live performance ds days All i wanna see is a semi nude girl shakin her bakassi lyk d one in Wande Coal the kick video (dose girls are endowed sha) and sippin my alomo wit guguru
Ah Nigerians and their retarded thinkin hmmmm SMH

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by donsmall94(m): 11:31am On Oct 14, 2013
when there real voice dey oppose their studio voice, wetin u expect...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by adebaxton(m): 11:32am On Oct 14, 2013
Respect to 2Face,Asa,Sound Sultan and Wizkid,Banky W I ve seen them perform live and I tell you, It's the best music experience ever.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by HezronLorraine(m): 11:33am On Oct 14, 2013
trent9002: Most foreign singers lip sync and use autotune too. So, what are you saying?
No one is disputing the fact that they do,it isn't a regular norm like our performers in Nigeria do.The foreign audience often criticize the artiste later on even if he/she delivered a wonderful performance on stage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Freak Me" - Ciara Featuring Tekno (Audio) / Omawumi - Bottom Belle Ft. Flavour [official Video] / "Kerewa" By Zule Zoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.