Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? (5253 Views)

See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / MMA – Our National Monument Of Shame / National Anthem For 1st October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by yhemster(m): 7:39am On Oct 14, 2013
Hey Nairaland Family, I will like to know the reason (justification or excuse) given to change the Nigeria Anthem from "Nigeria We Hail thee" to "Arise O Compatriot". Personally, I think the lyrics of the old Anthem is more interesting and realistic then the latest one, as it acknowledges the diversity in culture and it contains a great dream of a nation we always wanted.

"Arise, O Compatriots" (1978–present)

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

O God of creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

"Nigeria, We Hail Thee" (1960-1978)
Nigeria, we hail thee,
Our own dear native land,
Though tribe and tongue may differ,
In brotherhood we stand,
Nigerians all are proud to serve
Our sovereign Motherland.

Our flag shall be a symbol
That truth and justice reign,
In peace or battle honour'd,
And this we count as gain,
To hand on to our children
A banner without stain.

O God of all creation,
Grant this our one request,
Help us to build a nation
Where no man is oppressed,
And so with peace and plenty
Nigeria may be blessed.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHT
Re: What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by pendusky(m): 7:50am On Oct 14, 2013
i dont knw much about it, but i think the lyics wasnt good enough to define who we are....
Re: What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by Afrocatalyst: 7:57am On Oct 14, 2013
pendusky: i dont knw much about it, but i think the lyics wasnt good enough to define who we are....
no. I tink the lyrics of the old anthem defines us better especially our cultural differences. 1978 was Obasanjo's time. I tink the question should be forwarded to him. He should know best.
Re: What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by tsidra(f): 8:07am On Oct 14, 2013
Iono ooo maybe the old one taya dem or maybe it was hard 2 learn. Anyweiz d new one z cool
Re: What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by Henrypraise: 8:10am On Oct 14, 2013
Nigeria today is a mockery of d first stanza of d current anthem...
Re: What Was The Reason For The Change Of Our National Anthem? by Ebehi5(m): 12:49pm On Apr 13, 2019
This is me from 5years+ into the future saying Nigeria is a mess right now. Where diversity is now war, where our flag has been stained with the blood of our people and the country just keeps getting worse even as the next generation comes up. so maybe, just maybe, The old anthem was what we should have stuck with.

Laslasticlala this should be a FP thread.

(1) (Reply)

Senate passes Federal Audit Services Bill / BREAKING Barumbu A & B Oil Wells To Be Commissioned ed Today In Bauchi / Why Igbos Cannot Accept That Fact That Igboland Is LANDLOCKED (evidence)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.