Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? (24426 Views)

Ladies! When You Are Praying For A Husband And You Finally Got This / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Shaking Hands Experience Nawadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by joywendy(f): 1:33am On Oct 16, 2013
like seriously whats d big deal i don't get it,it doesnt concern me. if u like shake,if u like dnt.if u like ignore,if u like dnt. its ur business.its ur life. i dnt mind. i shake ppl cuz i feel more comfortable with it .Any way u seem appopriate to greet then greet....its
a free world.its not just with guys alone even ladies do it.

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by addictiv(m): 1:56am On Oct 16, 2013
nahh a hug is better...cmon its just a hug whats d big deal...shaking a lady feels kinda akward

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Ajibel(m): 2:44am On Oct 16, 2013
According to Islam, it is wrong to shake a lady, so I was told by scholars ***undecided**
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by lagcity(m): 3:35am On Oct 16, 2013
I offer a handshake to both males and females. If female refuse to shake my hand for party, na bush mentality and immaturity dey worry am except she be hijab girl.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by lagcity(m): 3:38am On Oct 16, 2013
axion: It's better to hug women so that you will tap free current angry

One day person go break gulder bottle for ya head after hugging im babe for party. keep hugging, u go hear am very soon.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by beewhyfocs(m): 4:38am On Oct 16, 2013
Emmyk: Some ladies dont like it.

I have seen situations whereby a guy stretched his hand, and lady be like "no, I dont shake, sorry".

Awkward moment aye! cheesycheesy.

These ladies were in hijab...

So, as a sharp guy, you will be cagey not to stretch anyhow next time wink

buh me I'm cool with both, I shake 'em or hug 'em. cheesycheesy

I once had the same issue too. I extended my hand to shake a lady who was not even putting on hijab. She declined my gesture without even saying a word. I felt shocked. Since then, I decided not to offer my hand to shake a lady unless she offers hers.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by rapthugx(m): 5:30am On Oct 16, 2013
I read somewhere that if a guy meets a lady in a gathering as described by the OP, the lady should show willingness to accept a handshake or even be d 1st to stretch out her hands. The ideal thing is if a lady wants to accept handshake, she should make d 1st move. Mind u shake hands is dfrnt frm greetings. Come to think of it, if I stretch my hand and she does nt accept it will I blame her? NO! But it will be quite ungentlemanly 4me to reject the out stretch hand of a lady. So ladies who will accept handshake shld make d 1st move. I know tht some pple will frown at this but tht is d truth.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by emmabest2000(m): 7:03am On Oct 16, 2013
wynston: it's an african culture, it's not right to shake a woman
It is not wrong to shake a woman , But according to African culture women should bring their hands out first tongue
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by repogirl(f): 7:05am On Oct 16, 2013
To cut long story short, I just nod to the ones that nod and shake the ones that shake. No hard feelings.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 16, 2013
Is cultural and something that most men doesn't know how to handle. When some men comes across ladys they are always in a dilemma whether to shake or hug, but what I do is sometimes I shake them and use my left hand to cover their palms or give dem a peck on their palm, it makes it more feminine.

In some cases I just wave to the lady

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by nedra: 8:16am On Oct 16, 2013
Let's be honest, its far easier to relate wt men dn wt women. Most Girls hv dis senseless psych in their heads dt anyman dt has anyform of physicl contct wt dem also wnts somtin else so we simply place dem where they belong by simply wavin n sayin hi

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by fasho01(m): 8:34am On Oct 16, 2013
This is so true & very common. My gf got so irritated by it & now shakes & even does the shoulder stuff with ma hommies
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by bonna4u(m): 8:59am On Oct 16, 2013
I only make it a habit of greeting/shaking the men first if the gathering is made of my close friends, and come back to greet the ladies when I am through with the men. This is because we shake hands vigorously in my peer group and I know the ladies don't appreciate that. It is nothing personal.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by kayultimate(m): 9:48am On Oct 16, 2013
nt with me! I do shake ladies
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by kayultimate(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2013
nt with me! I do shake ladies except muslim 6tas
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Etetejake(m): 10:08am On Oct 16, 2013
inferior beings are again fighting for a right to equal handshakes when they are the same people who have for many occation turn down handshakes.
since i learnt my lesson trying to shake a girl, i havent try such again expecially since i know they will only behave as they usually do.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by contactmorak: 10:22am On Oct 16, 2013
The reason I stopped shaking ladies a long time ago is that I read somewhere that it's not a gentlemanly etiquette to stretch ur hand to shake a lady first. U r supposed to wait for the lady to offer u a handshake. So it's kinda of rude to first offer a lady a hand shake. Unfortunately, how many Nigerian ladies know that?

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Enoeasy: 10:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Infact I just did it before seeing this topic.Personally I do shake guys then say hi to the ladies.To me I feel its normal.But in the church,i shake whoever is around me.Not forgettin my sweet coursemate,whenever we meet she just strectch her hands
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by KKImoh: 11:48am On Oct 16, 2013
iLUMeN8: For us fellas that grew up in the North, we have been taught not to have physical contact with females especially girls that are Muslims and hausa so as adults, its already in our psyche to avoid physical contact with girls and that is why most guys of Northern origin seldom offer girls a hand shake besides, its Islamically wrong for a female Muslim to have any form of physical contact with a man that is not her husband so most guys don't even bother
i love dis statement, dudes dat wia born or bred in d north, dnt shake hands wit, sinze most hausa, nd muslim gals dnt make physical contact with boys, so d guys get used to it, and even when they go outta d north region, they r hesitant, 2giv a hand, hug 2gurls, buh they can greet & giv a s/o 2d ladies,
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by SenatorJames(m): 11:53am On Oct 16, 2013
It is the fault of some ladies. I was nearly disgraced one day when I was shaking my friends in a gathering, one of their girlfriend just refuse to pull out her hand when I got to her. As a sharp guy, i just pet her at the back to avoid disgrace. Since that time I dont shake ladies, i will just wave to them, only if she is close to me and I'm sure she will accept my hand.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by repogirl(f): 11:54am On Oct 16, 2013
Etete jake: inferior beings are again fighting for a right to equal handshakes when they are the same people who have for many occation turn down handshakes.
since i learnt my lesson trying to shake a girl, i havent try such again expecially since i know they will only behave as they usually do.

This one was obviously dropped on his cranium as a child. If the females in your family are inferior beings, let it end in your family abeg. Don't go out in public spewing crap from your ignorant a'ss.....or head, whichever you use to think.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by texanomaly(f): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ok I'm curious now. I'm coming to Nigeria soon, and I am wondering what I should do in this situation. In America the handshake is for both male and female. Now I don't know what to do when I am there. I don't want to offend anyone. I guess I need a few pointers on cultural Tabu's.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
texanomaly: Ok I'm curious now. I'm coming to Nigeria soon, and I am wondering what I should do in this situation. In America the handshake is for both male and female. Now I don't know what to do when I am there. I don't want to offend anyone. I guess I need a few pointers on cultural Tabu's.

As long as you're in a formal setting, feel free to offer your hand for a handshake or take one if it's offered. In an informal setting, though, it may be wiser to take rather than offer a handshake. If you're the "greeter", hugs allaround, lady! grin Nobody hates hugs, except the clinically insane grin grin grin For safety from venomous looks from the ladies and stalking from the men, you should probably do the 360 with the women only and side- or half-hugs with the men unless it's a gathering of only males or just you and some guy. grin
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by texanomaly(f): 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ihedinobi:

As long as you're in a formal setting, feel free to offer your hand for a handshake or take one if it's offered. In an informal setting, though, it may be wiser to take rather than offer a handshake. If you're the "greeter", hugs allaround, lady! grin Nobody hates hugs, except the clinically insane grin grin grin For safety from venomous looks from the ladies and stalking from the men, you should probably do the 360 with the women only and side- or half-hugs with the men unless it's a gathering of only males or just you and some guy. grin

Gotcha. Thanks wink
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
3Dimension: IMO the way we nigerians 'shake hands' is not really polite or let me say right. U see a guy raising is palm far above is head because of a mere greeting.. U don't wanna do that to the lady.

The white man (whose culture we are imbibing) would greet a lady either with a hug, soft kiss to the back of her palm or a peck. All this above listed aren't 'our culture' and tramples on our ego has men expcept the hug which most women would rather deny u or prefer a side hug.

Sometimes I wonder if someone had told them that they can be impregnated with justa hug.

yes o, u wud love men kissing ur gf/wife's hand, kissing her softly on the cheek, hugging her tightly... I am happy, we hav pple like u in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 1:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
lagcity:

One day person go break gulder bottle for ya head after hugging im babe for party. keep hugging, u go hear am very soon.
That's why you should grab everything grabbable when you hug them so that it's worth whatever happens angry
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 1:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Let men shake hands, women are already shaking bumbum angry
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
Don't take it too personal. Every1 has his/ her own way of doing things. Like me I hardly shake hands, I just greet and that's all[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by redsun(m): 2:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hand shake is a show of strength and posture between men and i dont think a real man will want to get into that with a woman. Shaking a woman feels like handling an egg,the grip has to be totally reduced to the barest minimum.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by misterjosh(m): 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
It's cos some ladies like leaving guys' hands hanging. So in order for most guys to avoid d embarrassment, it's beta 4 them not to initiate d handshake @all. But if it's a lady u're quite close to then u're relatively safe to initiate d handshake. I also read somewhere sometime past dat etiquette demands a lady to b d initiator of an handshake wit a guy, but I don't rili knw ao true dat is.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ladyinred: 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
Personally, I would rather wave and smile politely than shake hands whether with girls or guys- especially with guys. I'm kind of a germophobe... u never know where those hands have been.
When I meet both genders and handshakes have to be made, I go with ladies first, bcs I'm a lady.
In a corporate setting though, anyone will do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Do It Better" How True Is This? / “Wrapper Marathon’’: Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja / Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.