Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? (24433 Views)

Ladies! When You Are Praying For A Husband And You Finally Got This / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Shaking Hands Experience Nawadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by kla(m): 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
In islam is not allowed.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by osesx: 9:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
dnt wnt d ladies to knw dat dier hand is stoney...coz sum pple hv cutelass on dier hands...
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2013
Gwekzy: Hugging tinz all d way...I love d feel of dose two tinz...damn
Ashaawoo, make you no go marry ehn undecided
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Sike(m): 9:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
Some ladies don't like it if men does.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Ezebuola(m): 9:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
guy easy o..na odinary bra u go feel..whn i hug dis gals d bra feel lyk se na stone b dat..dat chesting fit result heart failure..beware

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
Kai,some ladies can be so rude and some guys would tell U out NOT to ever shake their ladies.. As for me,I would never greet a lady I dunno... even if I know U and we dont have a close one on one relationship as friends or whatever,I would find it extremely hard to say hi

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by zaragoza(m): 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2013

na foam be dat wey u dey feel oo

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by jahbiz: 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2013
If your hand has been rejected once & you stand looking like mumu you wil know how to control your hand with girls. I've experienced it once, so now I wil look at your gesture b4 strenching my hand. Some girls can be something else at times.

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by zaragoza(m): 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2013
it's just natural, I think it's the same with the ladies. when a lady walks into a room where let's say 5 girls (friends) and a guy are seated, she wld first of all greet her female friends maybe with hugs b4 she wld even attempt looking at the guys face. That's if at all she wld even recognize the guy's presence.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Isaiah90(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2013
because guys are more down to earth. you will see a situation where 2 guys great each other, they'll be like "oboy how far na, guy how you day and my guy how far etc " note that these words are mostly said when greeting each other by shaking hands but trust guys we can't say such words to a girl close by so we prefer just saying hi to shaking hands

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by comrChris(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2013
GentleMimi:
d'nt wonder for long.We d'nt go around hugging people for fear of getting a whiff of their body or mouth odour!
### lmagine what this beaf jst put,sometime l think ladies deserves what they get 4rm men,their ego eeeh anyway l rest my casecheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ignis: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
I think most guys that do it are the timid ones...
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 9:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
ignis: I think most guys that do it are the timid ones...

Like Timid Timi angry
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Elem1: 9:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
I consider ur countenance b4 offering any kind of body contact, so that i wont b treated like a leper. Irespective of gender, shaking everybody u meet is an emotional risk. I prefer taking d risk with fellow sex.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by veave(f): 9:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
I still believe most guys loose their sense of reasoning when an extremely beautiful lady is involved.

Mind you, the have this spying glass that can single out the most beautiful ones amongst the crowd. so you cant tell me its ethical or unethical to ignore a female while greeting their male friends.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 9:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:

You're being sexist because you're making a premeditated decision to always greet guys first before the opposite gender. If that's not discriminating against other women in the room, I don't know what is then.

Why do you think men deserve to be greeted first. Why not just greet everyone, why must you hand-pick the men first before acknowledging the women??
My Lawd!!! What do you want me to say woman?
It's not a conscious decision on my part to acknowledge the men first, it's just instinctive. And I don't ignore the woman altogether, I just wait till someone introduces us before offering my hand or if no introduction, I say hello by wearing a smile, waving slightly(exceptional) and jerking my head.
Nothing sexist!

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Werehkpe: 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Courtesy courses will tell you ALLOW A WOMAN TO XTEND HER HAND FOR THE HANDSHAKE.

They always say a man should not be the first to extend his hand for the hand shake
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by kshowhanif: 10:04pm On Oct 15, 2013
wynston: it's an african culture, it's not right to shake a woman
it is not moraly right, how can a unknown man feel the hands of my sister, or wife, trnsfering some natural current into to her. If u are not jealous, u are not loving.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Neduzze5(m): 10:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
Well, to avoid what Davido terms in his own language as "Gobe", it's more advisable to do the wave of a hand that they are usually fond of and to round it up with a parting not-too-loud 'hi'!

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by faboben10: 10:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Some even act like u aren't even there undecided
guilty

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by stanjohn57: 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2013
booqee: yes i've always never understood it. A guy came not quite long, i was the only girl seated with four other boys. He waved his hand at me and said hello, and then shook hands with the guys. Tho not all guys do it, some will simply shake hands with everybody round, whether male or female

This is simple. That's because a lady is spos to initiate a shake! It is rude (etiquette) for a man to initiate a shake with a lady.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by stanjohn57: 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2013
Dr. Joe:
I ve seen/witnessed this in many occasions, in a synagogue of friends, colleagues or attendants, whenever a man enters, he seems to greet and shake the hands of fellow men first before acknowledging the presence of women. is this an African tradition or just a societal norm?

That's because a lady is spos to initiate a shake! It is rude (etiquette) for a man to initiate a shake with a lady.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by 0monnakoda: 10:37pm On Oct 15, 2013
These days with HIV,TB Malaria and teenage pregnancies don't shake hands anyhow.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by GentleMimi: 10:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
comrChris: ### lmagine what this beaf jst put,sometime l think ladies deserves what they get 4rm men,their ego eeeh anyway l rest my casecheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
And u hv to resort to name calling,u immature thing?...sorry do i know u??must u talk or comment?abeg park on side before trailer go jam u
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
veave: I still believe most guys loose their sense of reasoning when an extremely beautiful lady is involved.

Mind you, the have this spying glass that can single out the most beautiful ones amongst the crowd. so you cant tell me its ethical or unethical to ignore a female while greeting their male friends.
Thank you.

Can any1 b more confused Dan dis rabbit?

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by IzyLuv(f): 11:39pm On Oct 15, 2013
ekanDamie:
and i can swear dat ur not even fine o

Ldkm... Evuls!!!!

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
jahbiz: If your hand has been rejected once & you stand looking like mumu you wil know how to control your hand with girls. I've experienced it once, so now I wil look at your gesture b4 strenching my hand. Some girls can be something else at times.
so true

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 16, 2013
kshowhanif:
it is not moraly right, how can a unknown man feel the hands of my sister, or wife, trnsfering some natural current into to her. If u are not jealous, u are not loving.

Correct urself
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Ademat7(m): 12:19am On Oct 16, 2013
This is d best way to shake hand;
Guys: stretch ur hand while he does d same too and mk sure u both hv eye contact
Ladies:place ur palm under and let her put her palm on urs by so doing she felt honoured and dnt 4get to mk eye contact,she ll nva 4get d greeting
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Dannylux: 12:27am On Oct 16, 2013
I shake hands, hug lol It's a normal thingy
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by grandeur247(m): 12:36am On Oct 16, 2013
lincolnj88: Abeg nor go try dis shaking of hands enta where fulani girls are sitted oh....make dem nor ampute dat hand oh
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Dinvictus: 1:02am On Oct 16, 2013
Handshake isn't our tradition (Nigerian). It is believed by the westerners to be an offer of amiable greeting whereby the one offered can choose to accept. Between a man and woman, it is expected that the lady offers a handshake and the gentleman must accept even if both are sworn enemies otherwise it is seen as rude (ungentlemanly). If a lady doesn't offer you her hand, you dont demand or snatch it by extending yours. You might be rebuffed.
So coming back to our culture, (if that is what you folks want) its not gonna happen because in Africa, opposite gender of same peer group hardly interact.
So choose one, behave like the westerners and offer and accept handshakes like them or stick to our traditions and hang out with only your gender or very old or young members of the opposite gender.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“Wrapper Marathon’’: Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja / Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer / What Have You Lost Interest In?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.