Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? (24430 Views)

Ladies! When You Are Praying For A Husband And You Finally Got This / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Shaking Hands Experience Nawadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2013
Who knows where the hand is coming from? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2013
Amefrica: Just to avoid this. I'd rather ignore undecided
dnt ignore.A jorney of a thousand miles,begins with a step, from church method of embrace to deliverance session of embrace.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 7:34pm On Oct 15, 2013
nolia66: Me personally I dnt think its nice,dey just shake der fellow dudes n act like ure nt even there..I knw dey say its d culture but 2 b honest its quite chauvinistic...I tink we all shld b equal 2 an extent,we r in an advanced world nw,[s]if as a woman I work n bring part of d bacon 2 d table which wasn't d culture b4 I dnt knw y I cnt b acknowledged as a woman nw wen in a gathering amongst men,it won't make any1 less of a man...it just shows hw much of a man u r[/s].
The first striked-out part is resolved when you and the guy are introduced to one another, or you can be a lady and ask the person closest to you (in a voice loud enough), 'are you not going to introduce me to your friend?'. The man can also ask this too, but if you're the one feeling uncomfortable, then go ahead and ask.

The second striked-out part was completely unnecessary babe. grin
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Daddybee: 7:37pm On Oct 15, 2013
I think this is not only an African thing. Except u are really close to a married lady, u dont offer ur hand in handshake except she does it first.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
I was trained to hug or embrace women and shake hand with men. That's what I do.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:
So you acknowledge the men first because they belong to the same sexx as you?? Isn't that sexist?
I don't know your definition of sexism but No, it isn't to me.
Okay here's a question, wouldn't it be weird if I walked into a place where you and a couple of your male friends are gathered, and then the first thing I do is turn my attention to you to shake or hug or introduce myself to you when I don't know you?

I mean if I do that, it kinds of tells everyone present that I can't control myself around an attractive woman, even if it's what I'm really thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2013
Boss13: Some ladies do not understand that it's wrong for a man to stretch his hands before her except in corporate environment where everyone is considered the same.

Am I the only one that read this bullsh1t?? Why is it wrong for a man to stretch his hands before a woman??

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by axion(m): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
It's better to hug women so that you will tap free current angry

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Oahray: 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
@topic, I'd say it's mostly cos guys want to avoid stories that touch. Girls style alot, you never can tell how they would take it. Plus some guys or men are over-protective with their gfs or wives.

I shake ladies though, if they are with guys, unless it's a group of just ladies, or unless she quickly waves first.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by 9iceboi(m): 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
[b][/b] AND Y DO WOMEN IGNORE MEN WHEN HUGGING
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2013
crackhaus:
I don't know your definition of sexism but No, it isn't to me.
Okay here's a question, wouldn't it be weird if I walked into a place where you and a couple of your male friends are gathered, and then the first thing I do is turn my attention to you to shake or hug or introduce myself to you when I don't know you?

I mean if I do that, it kinds of tells everyone present that I can't control myself around an attractive woman, even if it's what I'm really thinking.

Sexism: Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

Now that we got the meaning out of the way, why in hell would it be a problem or weird if you shake my hands or introduce yourself to me first??
What you stated above, is your insecurities coming to play. No one in his or her right mind as in no one that is not psychologically evaluated to be in yaba left would for one second think greeting a woman first equates you having no self control.

Where in the world did you kind that mindset from?? Bro, you need to dismiss that mindset immediately.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
£10Billions:
dnt ignore.A jorney of a thousand miles,begins with a step, from church method of embrace to deliverance session of embrace.

grin grin some ladies can be funny.. No tapping of currents! smiley
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by yemmy75(m): 7:52pm On Oct 15, 2013
Sometimes I try to shake girls and they give a somewhat 'cold' handshake, as if they're being forced. Dat usually happens when u're shaking a girl u're not friends wit, and it kind of pisses me off.

4 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 15, 2013
Oahray: lmao grin

grin grin the picture dey kill ur lafta seriously.. Nor be only you
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
the ans to dat question is obvious, most guys dnt want to b embarrased as the ladies are so unpredictable ( dem too dey form)
In the coporate scenario i dnt think it applies cos everyone is there for one reason. "business"

4 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Sexism: Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

Now that we got the meaning out of the way, why in hell would it be a problem or weird if you shake my hands or introduce yourself to me first??
What you stated above, is your insecurities coming to play. No one in his or her right mind as in no one that is not psychologically evaluated to be in yaba left would for one second think greeting a woman first equates you having no self control.

Where in the world did you kind that mindset from?? Bro, you need to dismiss that mindset immediately.
LMAO grin
Okay Miss psycho-therapist, I'm getting a free consultation today grin
No need though, and even if I can't convince you here, be certain that I got no insecurities around women, trust me on that love.

Now back to sexism, how can not shaking you first or attending to you first in a gathering of other people (guys) be discrimination? Remember you are the only woman there (i.e minority by number), or do you by any chance feel that you deserve more attention than the men sitting/standing around you?
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
Sometime ago, I heard a lady address this issue on Silverbird TV. S he said it's wrong for a man to offer a handshake to a female. She said it is anti-ettiquette. Females have every right to decline a handshake from males. Lastly, she said only when a female offer a handshake should it occurr between both genders.
Www.360wit.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Am I the only one that read this bullsh1t?? Why is it wrong for a man to stretch his hands before a woman??
I read it and exercised maximum restraint on my fingers. The things people say undecided
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Gwekzy: 8:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
Hugging tinz all d way...I love d feel of dose two tinz...damn
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 8:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
Leo Adewale: Sometime ago, I heard a lady address this issue on Silverbird TV. S he said it's wrong for a man to offer a handshake to a female. She said it is anti-ettiquette. Females have every right to decline a handshake from males. Lastly, she said only when a female offer a handshake should it occurr between both genders.
Www.360wit.
Maybe in just a social setting. Personally i don't mind a man offering a handshake, what i hate is that annoying finger rub they some of them do on your palm.
But how do you excuse not offering a handshake in a business environment where by the same rules of etiquette men and women should be treated 'equally'??
I'm asking cos the situation i highlighted in my initial post happened at work.

4 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by nolia66(f): 8:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
Leo Adewale: Sometime ago, I heard a lady address this issue on Silverbird TV. She said it's wrong for a man to offer a handshake to a female. She said it is etiquette. Females have every right to decline a handshake from males. Lastly, she said only when a female offer a handshake should it occur between both genders.
ya that's absolutely true, but even if u don't stretch your hand for a handshake, you acknowledge the fact dat she is there and not just ignore her totally, cos that's rude.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
It's just a handshake naw... abi na handshake man pikin go chop?
I naturally find it easier to approach fellow men than women when I don't
know them. I feel women are generally wary of strangers so I avoid physical contact
when it isn't necessary. A simple "hello" is good enough.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by marcangelo(m): 8:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
Handshake in an informal settin coul dbe seen as a "manly" somtin, not for tender female hands
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2013
crackhaus:
LMAO grin
Okay Miss psycho-therapist, I'm getting a free consultation today grin
No need though, and even if I can't convince you here, be certain that I got no insecurities around women, trust me on that love.

Now back to sexism, how can not shaking you first or attending to you first in a gathering of other people (guys) be discrimination? Remember you are the only woman there (i.e minority by number), or do you by any chance feel that you deserve more attention than the men sitting/standing around you?

You're being sexist because you're making a premeditated decision to always greet guys first before the opposite gender. If that's not discriminating against other women in the room, I don't know what is then.

Why do you think men deserve to be greeted first. Why not just greet everyone, why must you hand-pick the men first before acknowledging the women??
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
Defence mechanism because ladies reject shaking of guys hands a lot except for those they are familar with. undecided

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by walexy14(m): 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
Because some girls could be snob when you rush in shaking hands or saying with them

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ayili: 8:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
Don karizma: Most guys do it and i am nt an exception.I do greet my guys first and than greet the lady or ladies without shaking there hands, especially when the lady is a stranger.But if i know the lady i will shake her hand or hug her. I believe its a personal thing and has nothing to do with being shy.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by walexy14(m): 8:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
Because some girls could be snob when you rush in shaking hands or saying hi to them

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by GentleMimi: 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
3Dimension: IMO the way we nigerians 'shake hands' is not really polite or let me say right. U see a guy raising is palm far above is head because of a mere greeting.. U don't wanna do that to the lady.

The white man (whose culture we are imbibing) would greet a lady either with a hug, soft kiss to the back of her palm or a peck. All this above listed aren't 'our culture' and tramples on our ego has men expcept the hug which most women would rather deny u or prefer a side hug.

Sometimes I wonder if someone had told them that they can be impregnated with justa hug.

d'nt wonder for long.We d'nt go around hugging people for fear of getting a whiff of their body or mouth odour!

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by interoute: 8:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
I have also observed that ladies, single or married, when greeting their fellow ladies in the midst of men by hugging or handshake, will not do same to the men present but will just wave their hands only to the men or greet with their mouth. What is wrong in doing same hugging to the men also? The answer might answer the op's qtn i guess

6 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by iLUMeN8(m): 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2013
For us fellas that grew up in the North, we have been taught not to have physical contact with females especially girls that are Muslims and hausa so as adults, its already in our psyche to avoid physical contact with girls and that is why most guys of Northern origin seldom offer girls a hand shake besides, its Islamically wrong for a female Muslim to have any form of physical contact with a man that is not her husband so most guys don't even bother

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Adamsdelrio(m): 9:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
I do it and I have my reason. I don't want to be humiliated by any 'over-sabi' and 'over-decent' chick.Shikena!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“Wrapper Marathon’’: Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja / What Have You Lost Interest In? / Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.