Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize (964 Views)

Jonathan: 'Don't Handover', An African Leader Urged Me After I Lost / Jonathan Favoured To Win $5mil Mo Ibrahim Prize For African Leadership / Somalia The Final Solution – In Search Of The 1 Million African Standing Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Gorrbachev: 11:23pm On Oct 14, 2013
tongue
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by DonHummer(m): 12:21am On Oct 15, 2013
seems dey dnt want to give out d mony in da first place,

B4 i forget its my birthda and am da first to comment
Hip hip hip
Hurraaaayyy

2 Likes

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Afam4eva(m): 12:28am On Oct 15, 2013
Which kain ogbanje award be that wey person no dey win? Even Nobel prize is given every time. There's no such thing as "No one deserved to win". Common sense should tell to award it to who deserves it more even if the list of competitors is mediocre. I guess that money is too much for them to just give away like that.
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Gorrbachev: 6:06am On Oct 15, 2013
Afam4eva: Which kain ogbanje award be that wey person no dey win? Even Nobel prize is given every time. There's no such thing as "No one deserved to win". Common sense should tell to award it to who deserves it more even if the list of competitors is mediocre. I guess that money is too much for them to just give away like that.

Giving the criteria, i agree the award should be withheld until another deserving person earns it. if you observe, all the winners so far are from the southern part of africa. Joaquim Chissano of Mozambique (Second President), Pedro Pires of Cape Verde (Third President) and Festus Mogae of Botswana (Third President).

I can testify to the efforts made by the Botswana guy, he sent his people all over the world to get education, never withheld their allowance like our folks normally do and he is quite honest. Watched his contribution during an LGBT debate in South Africa, straightforward guy. And as at the time he left and till date, their GDP per capita is $14,000.

1 Like

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 15, 2013
For devising a league table which portrays Nigeria as a country where 'good governance' remains a pipe dream after 14 years of unbroken PDP rule, Mo Ibrahim is nothing more than a 'hater'. With his organisation's refusal to acknowledge the dividends of 'fresh air' and an 'uncommon transformation', which abounds everywhere you look, it is beyond doubt that this attention-seeking Sudanese has been compromised by detractors aligned to various opposition parties.

MO IBRAHIM INDEX...NIGERIA’S GOVERNANCE RANKING DROPS

[img]http://dailytrust.info/images/stories/president/Goodluck-Jonathan%205.jpg[/img]

.Again, no winner for African leadership prize
.Liberia, Angola among ‘most improved’ since 2000

The 2013 Mo Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG) released yesterday revealed that Nigeria’s ranking has fallen eight places since 2000.

The index shows that 94% of Africans, including Nigerians, live in a country that has experienced overall governance improvement since 2000. But the IIAG, available on the website www.MoIbrahim.org, noted that “Although Nigeria’s overall governance score has improved since 2000, its ranking has fallen by eight places.”

The report which scored Nigeria 41st out of 52 countries noted that the country has seen a decline in its score for human rights, and rule of law, among others. It scored Nigeria 43.4 (out of 100), lower than the African average (51.6), and 13th position out of 16 countries in the West African region.

It provided full details of Nigeria’s performance across four categories of governance: Safety & Rule of Law, Participation & Human Rights, Sustainable Economic Opportunity and Human Development.

It reads: “Nigeria has seen a notable decline in its score for Participation & Human Rights. Participation & Human Rights measures the protection of human rights, civil and political participation, and gender issues.”

Since 2000, the report observed, “The strongest improvements at continental level are registered in the categories of Human Development, Sustainable Economic Opportunity and, to a lesser extent, Participation & Human Rights. Meanwhile the Safety & Rule of Law category has declined worryingly, showing year-on-year declines since 2010. The IIAG shows a growing diversity in governance results on the continent. There is a widening span in performance between the best and worst governed countries; increasingly noticeable differences between the performance across different categories; and conflicting trends within the categories.”

Also, for a second straight year, no leader has clinched the $5 million Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership. The foundation’s prize committee announced Monday that it had decided not to award the prize, making it the fourth time there has been no winner in its seven-year history. In 2009 and 2010 there was no winner, but in 2012 the foundation awarded Archbishop Desmond Tutu a one-off $1 million special prize for his lifelong commitment towards “speaking truth to power.”

Previous winners of the Prize for Achievement in African Leadership are President Pedro Verona Pires of Cape Verde in 2011, Joaquim Chissano of Mozambique in 2007 and Festus Mogae of Botswana in 2008. Nelson Mandela was made an honorary inaugural Laureate in 2007. The Ibrahim Prize, which is paid for by Sudanese telecoms billionaire Mo Ibrahim, but decided by committee, is the largest cash prize in the world, amounting to $5m (roughly N800m) over 10 years and then $200,000 (approximately N32m) annually for life.

All efforts to get the Federal Government’s response proved abortive, as the Information Minister, Labaran Maku, did not take his calls and was said to have been in a meeting at the State House. Also, e-mails sent to the Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Prof. Chidi Odinkalu and the Executive Secretary Prof. Bem Angwe have not been replied as at press time.

Mo Ibrahim, Chair of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation said:“Neither Afro-pessimism nor Afro-optimism do justice to modern Africa. This is now the age of Afro-realism - an honest outlook on our continent. It’s about a celebration of its achievements but also a pragmatic acknowledgement of the challenges that lie ahead.”

Source
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Gorrbachev: 8:50am On Oct 15, 2013
eGuerrilla: For devising a league table which portrays Nigeria as a country where 'good governance' remains a pipe dream after 14 years of unbroken PDP rule, Mo Ibrahim is nothing more than a 'hater'. With his organisation's refusal to acknowledge the dividends of 'fresh air' and an 'uncommon transformation', which abounds everywhere you look, it is beyond doubt that this attention-seeking Somali has been compromised by detractors aligned to various opposition parties.

Source

Are you insinuating Jonathan deserves to win the Mo prize. my goodness, you are kidding right? the Aluu style lynchings, Boko beheading and bombs, kidnapping, i won't declare my assets and i don't give a damn, unreasonable government spending and the list goes on.

Just because you open the floor for all to steal with the mind set of "its our turn" will never make anyone a good leader.

1 Like

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by jaybee3(m): 8:53am On Oct 15, 2013
eGuerrilla: For devising a league table which portrays Nigeria as a country where 'good governance' remains a pipe dream after 14 years of unbroken PDP rule, Mo Ibrahim is nothing more than a 'hater'. With his organisation's refusal to acknowledge the dividends of 'fresh air' and an 'uncommon transformation', which abounds everywhere you look, it is beyond doubt that this attention-seeking Somali has been compromised by detractors aligned to various opposition parties.

Source
Dude is sudanese and he isn't seeking attention by any chance

1 Like

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 15, 2013
Abi MO- don Broke?

Why start what you can't finish.
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Gorrbachev: 8:57am On Oct 15, 2013
jay bee:

Imagine, Mo Ibrahim foundation is hating on Jonathan. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 15, 2013
jay bee:

Eguerilla is being sarcastic

3 Likes

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 15, 2013
@Oyb,

Thanks for restating what I had assumed to be obvious.
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 15, 2013
eGuerrilla: For devising a league table which portrays Nigeria as a country where 'good governance' remains a pipe dream after 14 years of unbroken PDP rule, Mo Ibrahim is nothing more than a 'hater'. With his organisation's refusal to acknowledge the dividends of 'fresh air' and an 'uncommon transformation', which abounds everywhere you look, it is beyond doubt that this attention-seeking Sudanese has been compromised by detractors aligned to various opposition parties.

I know someone on Nairaland who would have spoken exactly like this. grin grin grin
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Pangea: 10:31am On Oct 15, 2013
Why would any of our die hard ruler settle for a measly $5 million,
When they pay themselves more than that, weekly from perks, bribes and looting?
This MO Ibrahim better comot Nigeria from the list of the beneficiaries.
Nigerians are wiser than that! angry
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 15, 2013
Pangea: Why would any of our die hard ruler settle for a measly $5 million,
When they pay themselves more than that weekly from perks, bribes and looting?
This MO Ibrahim better comot Nigeria from the list of the beneficiary,
Nigerians are wiser than that! angry

Or why settle for the fame that comes with winning such an outstanding inconsequential prize, when you can direct your own awarding body to crown your unparalleled infamy with as much fanfare as you need?
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Pangea: 10:43am On Oct 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Or why settle for the fame that comes with winning such an outstanding inconsequential prize, when you can direct your own awarding body to crown your unparalleled infamy with as much fanfare as you need?

Exactly my point!
Nigerians, I tell you, believes they are the smartest people on this planet grin

1 Like

Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by Gorrbachev: 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
eGuerrilla: @Oyb,

Thanks for restating what I had assumed to be obvious.

[img]http://troll.me/images/asdasdasdasdasdasd/oops-my-bad-thumb.jpg[/img]
i need some sleep.
Re: No Winner For Mo Ibrahim $5 Million African Leader Prize by MoIbrahim: 6:11am On Nov 09, 2019
For devising a league table which portrays Nigeria as a country where 'good governance' remains a pipe dream after 14 years of unbroken PDP rule, Mo Ibrahim is nothing more than a 'hater'. With his organisation's refusal to acknowledge the dividends of 'fresh air' and an 'uncommon transformation', which abounds everywhere you look, it is beyond doubt that this attention-seeking Sudanese has been compromised by detractors aligned to various opposition parties.

Source

Your post must be satire. What about the years that people in ruling parties were awarded?

(1) (Reply)

... / FUTO Exams On the 9th Of Dec 2013 / Another Letter: Bayelsa Elders Say They're Not Feeling Impact Of Jonathan's Gove

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.