Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,568 members, 7,861,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:30 PM

Why Corruption Thrives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Corruption Thrives (411 Views)

President Buhari Explains Why Corruption Is The Cause Of Poverty In Nigeria / Why Corruption Thrives Nigerian - Reps / My Message To Nuru Ribadu And Why Corruption Can Be Useful Tool For Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Corruption Thrives by TheAcolyte(m): 11:29am On Oct 15, 2013
If there is a single phenomenon to which almost every failing of Nigeria is attributed, it is corruption. Corruption exists in almost every facet and level of our society.

Corruption is variously referred to as the bane of the country’s development, a hydra-headed monster, a cancerous cell, the worm eating up the fabric of the society etc. The rich, the poor, almost everyone rail against it. But with all the negative attention and repeated vows to stamp it out corruption sadly has not only continued to survive in the country but in fact thrive.

Most persons would say that government is not doing enough to combat it, or the anti-corruption agencies are inefficient. But are these the whole truth? I don’t think so. The question is: who really should be most eager to end corruption? People in government and even leadership of the anti-corruption agencies are not so adversely affected by corruption. So they actually don’t have much incentive to fight it; the fight is not really theirs. On another hand it would be extremely naïve to expect those who benefit from corruption to lead the fight against it. This leaves us with the majority who suffer its consequences. These actually are those who should take up arms against corruption. The fight should never be left in the hands of government alone.

Experience shows that the average government will not seriously bother itself about fighting corruption unless it is prodded by citizens bearing its brunt. The people’s body language matters a lot, it determines the priority government would place on the fight against the monster. Where the people are tolerant of it, government also tend to look the other way. But where they take an uncompromising stand against it, government equally sits up. So, though the federal government wields the powers and resources of state with which to fight corruption, it may need a kick at the backside from Nigerians to effectively deploy it. But before this can happen, Nigerians must first reject corruption in its entirety.

Before one destroys something, he must first convince himself that it’s no longer of use to him or he wants nothing from it. As long as there still exists some belief or hope that it might still be of service someday, it will be difficult to act decisively. Corruption despite all the verbal attacks it receives has continued to wax strong because majority of those suffering its consequences and who should be most eager to see an end to it hope (consciously or subconsciously) to somehow, someday, also benefit from it. We celebrate and shield individuals whose source of wealth is shady with the intention of benefitting from their often ill-gotten wealth.

It is not uncommon, for instance, to hear suffering Nigerian youths while discussing corruption make comment like, “my guy forget that thing, if you get there you no go thief? Me if I reach there I go collect my share o!” He perhaps forgets that the overwhelming majority of the citizenry (including most likely himself) will never get to the position where they can dip their hand in the public till. The point here is that when it comes to corruption we tend to speak from both sides of the mouth. While it is condemned on one hand on the other, we still hope and ‘pray’ to benefit from it. The result is a conflict of interest which manifests in the indecisiveness with which the fight against the monster has been so far prosecuted.

To effectively fight and reduce corruption to the barest minimum, Nigerians, especially the majority suffering untold hardship as a result of it must reject it absolutely. An uncompromising stand against corruption by the people will send a strong message to whoever might consider tampering with public fund; it will also set government on its toes. Very importantly, we must critically consider who we honour. When only real men of honour and integrity are celebrated, even the not-so-honourable would want to act with some honour.

Nnoli Chidiebere
Twitter: @NnoliC

(1) (Reply)

What Lies Ahead In This Agendum; Spured By Greed And Avarice / Once Upon A N2.2bn Banquet Hal / Aliyu Still Part Of Rebel Govs –New PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.