Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,168 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG (1518 Views)

Deadlock As INEC Recs Give Jega Conditions For Poll Shift - PremiumTimes / Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer / Aturu Slams Fashola On Lagos Fire Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by hillsate: 5:04pm On Oct 16, 2013
The Lagos lawyer asks the government to withdraw its threat to clamp down on two leading online newspaper.
The Federal Government has been warned to back off from its planned clampdown on online journalism or risk being faced with vehement resistance.
Human rights lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, stated that the government threat by the government to censor online media is reminiscent of military dictatorship.
“We did not fight military despotism to end up with civilian autocracy. The right of the press to inform and educate the people is not only a constitutional right it is an inalienable right that many Nigerians fought for with their lives and limbs to get enshrined in our Constitution. We will fight the government on the streets, in the courts, in the markets and even in ASO ROCK if it dares.”
Whilst making reference to a statement credited to Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, to clampdown on PREMIUM TIMES and Sahara Reporters because of their enterprising journalism, he said the law of sedition the government is threatening to use to clampdown on these media organisation is alien to democracy.
“While I do not encourage irresponsible journalism, I have always argued that the law of sedition has no place in a democracy,” Mr. Aturu said. “If the government is convinced that it has been misreported or misrepresented it has the opportunity to present facts and figures to embarrass any journalist who fabricates facts or figures. This is why we have Ministries of Information and officials paid from the public treasury.
“When governments show irritation to stories in the media, it creates the impression that it has no ideas on how to govern.
“My advice to the government is to leave Premium Times, Sahara Reporters and other cyber media alone. Our peoples are not fools. They know the difference between senseless journalism and responsible journalism. We don’t need the government to tell us the difference.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/146720-leave-nairaland-premium-times-saharareporters-alone-aturu-tells-fg.html

1 Like

Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by bintalabi(f): 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ati gbo, next..
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by homesteady(m): 5:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
I can't remember the FG saying anything about clamping down online newspapers undecided
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by UyiIredia(m): 5:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
E mention Nairaland ?!

2 Likes

Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by hillsate: 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
bintalabi: Ati gbo, next..

Bintalabi, Please you are better off at religious section. Politics is for serious business.
You have never contributed resources in nairaland by creating topics. All you do is comment on topics created by other people. Useless comments at that.
Just be my friend I could tutor you you know.
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by nairalad: 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Where did they mention Nairaland in that piece? Nonsense!!

10 Likes

Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by Longeria(m): 8:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
nairalad: Where did they mention Nairaland in that piece? Nonsense!!
please ask them.
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by Danhumprey: 9:15pm On Oct 16, 2013
I'm still wondering where they mentioned Nairaland in that piece ooo. OP,abi you wan chop slap this night? angry

3 Likes

Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by Abbey2sam(m): 12:24am On Oct 17, 2013
@op to show your stupidity you couldn't even include nairaland by yourself................

The news is even fake
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by obuksjr(m): 1:36am On Oct 17, 2013
Please Op,don't drag Nairaland into this in order to gain cheap popularity.
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by omenka(m): 6:02am On Oct 17, 2013
This is the most desperate attempt to make FP I'd ever seen!! You for just finish the lie by inserting "nairaland" in the quote yourself naw... angry
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by dridowu: 6:08am On Oct 17, 2013
hillsate: “If the government is convinced that it has been misreported or misrepresented it has the opportunity to present facts and figures to embarrass any journalist who fabricates facts or figures. This is why we have Ministries of Information and officials paid from the public treasury.
I guess may our Information Ministry is scared of d press so they have to use force to clamp down on d press
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by hillsate: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2013
All of you that did not see Nairaland there do not know how to spell Nairaland.
Do you now know the reason why most of you are yet to pass WAEC english even though you claim to be an undergraduate or graduate?
READ IN BETWEEN THE LINES GUYS!
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by hillsate: 7:36am On Oct 17, 2013
omenka: This is the most desperate attempt to make FP I'd ever seen!! You for just finish the lie by inserting "nairaland" in the quote yourself naw... angry

Guy, I can see that your life ambition is to make front page. It aint mine. Making front page has never been my pull here. I retired from making FP long time ago.
Keep trying hard you may make it one day.
Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 17, 2013
Hahahahaha, How many people know Nairaland ?

1 Like

Re: Leave Nairaland, Premiumtimes, Sahara Alone, Aturu Tells FG by Brimmie(m): 10:39am On Oct 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Hahahahaha, How many people know Nairaland ?

1 Million People!

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Set To Appoint Chief Raymond Dokpesi As New Chief Of Staff / Worlds Most Dangerous Energy Drinks::::::::::::::::: / US Ambassador To Nigeria Visits Emir Of Kano: James Entwistle In Closed Door Mee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.