Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,456 members, 7,843,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? (1439 Views)

Photo Of Atiku Abubakar In 1991 When He Contested For Governorship Election / FG Closes Land Borders Till Sunday For Governorship Elections / Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by obong(m): 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2005
Would anyone here vote for a Ibo man for governor of a traditionally Yoruba state, or Yoruba man for Rivers or Akwa Ibom state governor?

Why do you guys think [ethnicity] matters so much in a democratic government in Nigeria?
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by IAH(f): 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2005
If you can allow a Zimbabwean or a Tanzanian to enter Aso-Rock and be your President, then what you are talking about will hold water.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by Seun(m): 6:13pm On Aug 28, 2005
Personally, I have no problem with Bill Clinton coming to Nigeria to be our president, but the issue is that most people might not be sure about where his loyalties lie. We might be afraid that he'll promote American insterests rather than ours.

This may be the same reason why it's difficult for an Ibo man to become the governor or a Hausa state. How? Well, the Hausa people will be concerned that the Ibo man would create policies to favor "his own people" and not the Hausas. This ethnicity issue is a big problem in this country that cannot be easily solved.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by Chxta(m): 7:03pm On Aug 28, 2005
Arnold Schwazzenegger is Austrian, but he is the governor of California. I'll post more on this topic when it has grown a bit, I have some really controversial views...
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by diakim(m): 12:40pm On Aug 29, 2005
Ethnicity is a serious issue in Nigeria, and Africa at large . We have not yet grown to the level where we can practise the type of democracy practise in the civilised world.

What will happen if all the governourship seats for the South-East were captured by the Yourbas?
Or will their not be anarchy if all the governorship seats for the South-West were captured by the Hausas? Think on these and you will see why such a thing cannot happen in our own part of the world.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by obong(m): 2:23pm On Aug 29, 2005
Personally I see no problems with it. I think if we were to have different ethnicities governing in different states, it would be a sign of growth in our country. Thats one thing that was good about the military regime.

Unless we start viewing all of us as Nigerians, we'll continue to have the problems we have.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by Imnakoya(m): 4:11am On Aug 30, 2005
Ethnicity is a big factor in Nigerian politics in general. The reason is partly due to diversity of language. Multiethnic nations where this is not a problem have a predominant language. Until we form a lingo that is acceptable to all, ethnicity will continue to be a factor in governance.

What are the short comings of pidgin English as a common language in Nigeria? Already, it is the unofficial lingo...why are we deceiving ourselves with this queens english that is only well spoken by few?
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by DEKING3(m): 12:03pm On Aug 30, 2005
Ethnicity is a big problem in this country, so, I don't see the feasibility in that; at least, not at this stage of our nascent democracy.

Talk of one state, you talk of many dialects, that alone is causing problems in some states not to talk of another man from another state entirely.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by kodewrita(m): 2:03pm On Aug 31, 2005
@Chxta you have to recall that most americans are only seven generations removed from immigrants. Schwarzenneger will never become president of north korea even if he becomes a citizen. I will never become prime minister of Japan and You will never rule Germany, whatever you may think. thats life. It is only possible in Lagos and other cosmopolitan areas. personally, I don't advise it.let's not create needless strife.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by obong(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2005
kodewrita, don't you think as all nigerians we should be able to exercse our dreams and skills in every part of the country?
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by DEKING3(m): 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2005
@obong, I buy your thoughts but you should know that in Nigeria it cannot work at least not yet.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by drbigdaddyg(m): 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2005
Hmmn, it can never be possible in Nigeria so far ethnic/religious racism is concerned. Imagine what has been a "rumour" of islamizing the whole country if given the slightest opportunity. If such rumour is tested and proved real, do u think igbo (christains) can give themselves islamic ticket; leaving Islams to rule them thereby islamizing them? Vice versa?

Untill we have come to deattach the value we 've attached to religion/belief, we can never have such dream actualize.

This is the reason why in civilised countries where there is little significance in one's religion or belief, people from northern part can rule in the southern part.

To make this come to pass, we must see ourselves as brothers and sisters, knowing that the religious aspect is just mere decision one takes. After all, every creature was from Adam and Eve.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by Pappy: 5:06pm On Sep 06, 2005
i think that one should become governor of a state that he/she was born and or raised in or have been resident for quite some time. This is one major way to reduce "tribalism" (hate that word).
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by Bibi(m): 6:15pm On Sep 06, 2005
The constitution provides that anyone can assume any political post irrespective of tribal affiliations as long as the person was born or domiciled in that environment for a certain number of years (10yrs? not sure).

The fact is that Nigerians are tribal by nature and irrestive of where you were born, you do not belong as long as you have a different tribal heritage.

Ethnicity should not matter, but it does and I think Nigerians are not ready for what the constitution says.

Forget about Ibo vs Yoruba, even Yorubas from Ondo will not accept Yoruba from Ekiti state. Its just bad. As long as we see this state or that as Yoruba, or Hausa or Ibo we have already inadvertently coded a message "it belongs to the sons of the soil".

So, in conclusion, with the present reality in our polity, Ethnicity matters, even down to the level of councillors and local goverment chairmen.
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by asha80(m): 10:10am On Sep 29, 2009
Tall Dream
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by udezue(m): 10:33am On Sep 29, 2009
A very tall one grin but thats how it should be. If a Bini man born and bred in Benue wants to run WHY NOT?
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by kodewrita(m): 1:10pm On Oct 01, 2009
@udezue thats the ideal case. however it wont happen in practice for now. Besides, it does not really matter who's there. They are all rogues anyway (except fashola)
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by emyah(m): 1:17pm On Oct 01, 2009
obong:

Would anyone here vote for a Ibo man for governor of a traditionally Yoruba state, or Yoruba man for Rivers or Akwa Ibom state governor?

Why do you guys think [ethnicity] matters so much in a democratic government in Nigeria?

pls, is Igbo n Ibo
Re: Does Ethnicity Matter for Governorship? by tck2000(m): 2:19pm On Jun 28, 2019
Pappy:
i think that one should become governor of a state that he/she was born and or raised in or have been resident for quite some time. This is one major way to reduce "tribalism" (hate that word).
I agree

(1) (Reply)

The Latest On Okada And Helmet (pictures) / Breaking News To All Nairalander. / Atuche, Ojo Remanded In Efcc Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.