Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. (1324 Views)

Amaechi Spent N53bn From N55bn Reserve Fund – Panel / Crude Oil Discovery In Nigeria Has It Been A Blessing Or A Curse On The Nation? / Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by ujoinme: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
The Federal government yesterday raised hopes of a major break-through in the country's effort developing alternative mineral resource aside from oil and gas, when it revealed the discovery of gold to the depth of 3,000 meters with an estimated two million ounces in the Western part of Nigeria.

The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke who disclosed this at the presentation of the World Bank-sponsored Nigerian Airborne Geophysical Survey Data phase II in Abuja, said the import of the latest development is that Nigeria may well be on her way to joining countries like Ghana in supplying gold to the world market.
According to Madueke, a coring done last year by the small mining companies, to the depth of 3,000 meters, has proved more than 300,000 ounces, with 2 million ounces estimated..

“ The importance of this fantastic piece of news is probably best appreciated within the context of the knowledge that Nigeria has gold schist belts in the western half of the country that are very similar to those of Ghana”, she said.
She said surveys have shown that Nigeria is richly endowed with a range of solid minerals which if properly managed and exploited may in the near future become the engine of our national economic growth.

She said the Ministry has decided to place special focus on seven of the minerals which includes, bitumen/tar sand with estimated reserves of 27bn barrels of oil equivalent, coal (2.7 billion tonnes), iron ores (3 billion tonnes), limestone (2.23 billion tonnes), barytes (14 million tonnes) and lead/zinc sulphides one million tonnes) .

Madueke described the completion of the geophysical survey phase II as something that would facilitate mineral exploration, ground water prospecting, pollution and geo-hazard monitoring.

“The survey also measures the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) and Shuttle Radar Topographic Mission (SRIM) which provide detailed information on terrains, vegetations, landforms, settlements, roads and drainages. The data is therefore extremely useful in security surveilance and development planning”, she said.

The Minister further said plans are underway geological, mineral and geo-chemical mapping of the country with a view to providing all the necessary data needed to adequately tap the mineral resources to our economic advantage.

She said the Ministry is putting in place a gemstone certification process, adding that it has reached agreement with internationally renowned Nigeria-born Jeweler to design a Jewelry line, using exclusively Nigerian gemstones.

This line of Jewelry will be launched for the international and domestic market in March this year, she said.

Earlier, the geologist involved in the preparation the survey data, Prof. Collins Reeves said a mechanism will be put in place to enable interested scientists to study, interpret and analyse the geophysical survey data and that the outcome of their study will be made public next year.

He said the experience of Brazil could be helpful in Nigeria quest for effective utilization of solid mineral resources.
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/47726-gold-discovery-western-part-nigeria.html

Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by homesteady(m): 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Good one! At least our over-reliance on oil and gas would be reduced!
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by Omen100(m): 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
homesteady: Good one! At least our over-reliance on oil and gas would be reduced!

please its not time yet to celebrate, you may have to re: read the thread again because it doesn't add up. The last time I checked, madam frog eyes was the minister of petroleun resources.

Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by oxygen47: 2:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
Una don come again?
Una wan rely on gold dis time
It will finish one day

What is the logic of selling gold to buy food and other consumables
When we can plant it all

Pls go back to the farm
I dont think we need to sell all our natural resources
Thats y d word RESERVE is used

Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by lincolnj88: 2:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
dis oduduwa people wan waste our oil money in exploration of garden of eden in sango land

Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by Abagworo(m): 2:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
There has always been gold in Western Nigeria. In fact Ilesa is known for gold and many illegal goldmines exist in that axis.
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by ujoinme: 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2013
Abagworo: There has always been gold in Western Nigeria. In fact Ilesa is known for gold and many illegal goldmines exist in that axis.

my question is why is it not legally mined? that a huge source of revenue that is left to waste away. Yet we complain of how bad the economy is.
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by Zonacom(m): 2:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
This is either an old news or a badly reported one.
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
That's what dz trash and u believed... Dats how dz Yoruba fools wud be imagining tins when they don't have what to do...
Now I knw dat "An idle mind is d devil's workshop"
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by homesteady(m): 2:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
But this news is old naw! Since 2010!

Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by ujoinme: 2:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
homesteady: But this news is old naw! Since 2010!

if you just heard it like i did, its news. The substance of the article is not when it was published, but what it portends! If there is 2million ounces of gold deposit in nigeria why is it not legally mined or concession by the FG for would be minners?
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by alotofgrace(m): 2:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nigeria - an eldorado in disguise

tot diezani was pet minister? undecided
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by tpia5: 3:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nigerians simply look for any excuse to migrate to the southwest, they just cant stay away.

Cant say i blame them really, the western part is very hospitable to foreigners.
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by tpia5: 3:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
alotofgrace: Nigeria - an eldorado in disguise

tot diezani was pet minister? undecided

I think you mean southwest is the destination of choice for migrants.

Its the america of nigeria.
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by homesteady(m): 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2013
tpia@:
Nigerians simply look for any excuse to migrate to the southwest, they just cant stay away.

Cant say i blame them really, the western part is very hospitable to foreigners.

So Tpia, you are also a tribalist! undecided
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
ujoinme: The Federal government yesterday raised hopes of a major break-through in the country's effort developing alternative mineral resource aside from oil and gas, when it revealed the discovery of gold to the depth of 3,000 meters with an estimated two million ounces in the Western part of Nigeria.

The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke who disclosed this at the presentation of the World Bank-sponsored Nigerian Airborne Geophysical Survey Data phase II in Abuja, said the import of the latest development is that Nigeria may well be on her way to joining countries like Ghana in supplying gold to the world market.
According to Madueke, a coring done last year by the small mining companies, to the depth of 3,000 meters, has proved more than 300,000 ounces, with 2 million ounces estimated..

From the bold....how recent is this report?
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by seunfly: 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
lygn19: That's what dz trash and u believed... Dats how dz Yoruba fools wud be imagining tins when they don't have what to do...
Now I knw dat "An idle mind is d devil's workshop"
That is d problem with u people, u don't even know anything about Nigeria except to support jeg right or wrong and abuse others. Anyway western part of Nigeria that has gold reserve in not just southwestern Nigeria but all the western belt from south to noth. Are u satisfy Haterzz!!!
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by dridowu: 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
When i saw ds topic , i tot it was musiwa dat create d thread
@topic, ok, more to cme from western 9ja
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by hardniola(m): 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
dat gold most not be exploit until we divide nijeiriya........
Nah our gold hahahah
Re: Over Two Million Ounces Proven Gold Ore Reserve Discovery In Western Nigeria. by drnoel: 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
Omen100:

please its not time yet to celebrate, you may have to re: read the thread again because it doesn't add up. The last time I checked, madam frog eyes was the minister of petroleun resources.
GOD bless u, thats the first thing the caught my eyes and I said wat, that can't be right.

Oby Ezekwesili's Interview On BBC Hardtalk (Video link) / BOKO HARAM, The Killings Of The Innocent And The Way Forward / I Am Going Back To The Classroom - Fayemi