Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,759 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising (4681 Views)

Crude Oil Discovery In Nigeria Has It Been A Blessing Or A Curse On The Nation? / Nnpc Faults Kwara’s Claim On Oil Discovery / Addax’s Latest Oil Discovery Is Not Good News For Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by debosky(m): 2:15pm On Feb 25, 2009
Yinka Folawiyo, partners hit commercial oil discovery in Lagos
By Sulaimon Salau

A CONSORTIUM of companies, operating the Aje oil field in Oil Mining Licence 113 (OML113) offshore Lagos, has confirmed the field for commercial discovery.

A statement issued by Providence Resources Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Company, said "we are pleased to confirm that the Aje Field, in OML113, offshore Nigeria has been deemed a Commercial Discovery by the Operating Committee."

Accordingly, the partners in the Aje Field have authorised Chevron, as Technical advisor to the operator, to prepare a development plan for the field.

Providence holds a five per cent net revenue interest in the Aje Field with the other partners in the project being Yinka Folawiyo Petroleum Company Limited (operator), Chevron Nigeria Deepwater H Limited (Technical adviser to the operator), Vitol Exploration Nigeria Limited and Energy Equity Resources Aje Limited.

The statement quoted the Chief Executive of Providence, Tony O'Reilly, as saying, "We are delighted with the recent resolution of the partners to formally confirm the commerciality of the Aje Field and to authorise Chevron to prepare a development plan. These key decisions confirm our long held view with regard to the value of our interest. Whilst this project is material for Providence, our interest in OML 113 offshore Nigeria lies outside of our core focus areas and thus Providence continues to consider all options in relation to this asset."

The Aje Field is situated in Oil Mining Lease 113 (OML 113) in water depths of up to c. 3,000 feet and is 15 miles offshore Nigeria, being some 40 miles off Lagos coast. Aje-4 is the fourth well to be drilled on the Aje Field, all of which have intersected hydrocarbons.

The discovery well, Aje-1, which was drilled in 1996 encountered oil and gas in reservoirs of Cretaceous Turonian age, and flowed at an aggregate rate of 42 MMSCFD and 2,262 BOPD over three zones. An appraisal well, Aje-2, which was drilled in 1997 also encountered oil and gas in the Turonian and flowed 3,866 BOPD from an additional zone in the Cenomanian which had not been tested in the Aje-1 well.

Meanwhile, Aje-3 well, which was drilled in 2005 on the southwest flank of the field encountered significant gas shows whilst drilling the Turonian reservoir section and this together with wire-line log data, suggest that whilst reservoir quality is not optimum, this section is gas bearing.

According to the company, Aje-4 well is interpreted to have encountered the main Turonian reservoir c. 30 feet up-dip from the Aje-2 well and the petrophysical logs confirm a gross Turonian hydrocarbon column of c. 335 feet. Down-hole pressure and sample data confirm that the Turonian column comprises gas condensate overlying a c. 30 foot oil rim and that the total column is thought to share a common contact with the Aje-1 & 2 wells.

The results of the Aje-4 well now suggest that the Aje Field may comprise a large low relief and laterally extensive reservoir system. The underlying Upper Cenomanian oil pay zone contained a c. 65 foot gross oil column and the data again suggest that this unit is in communication with the oil payzone, which was tested in the Aje-2 well. A further new Lower Cenomanian oil pay zone was also confirmed with a gross column of c.60 ft.

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/energy/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=250209&ptitle=Yinka%20Folawiyo,%20partners%20hit%20commercial%20oil%20discovery%20in%20Lagos]The Guardian[/url]

Lagos will soon join the league of oil producing states - hopefully this will be managed properly for the benefit of the local citizenry.

What does impact will this have on Lagos, the South West and Nigeria as a whole?
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Sauron1: 2:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
debosky:
What does impact will this have on Lagos, the South West and Nigeria as a whole?

MASSOY groups might start in Lagos o. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by asha80(m): 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2009
Final tonic for the disintergration of nigeria shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Ibime(m): 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2009
debosky:

This is a great development! I hope they find oil under mainland Lagos itself so they can bulldoze that slum and clear out the disease infested population back to their states of origin.

I also hope this development will make Lagosians see cause to fight for indigenous rights to land and minerals which have been denied to their brothers in the SS and SE. We can form the Movement for the Emancipation of Southern Nigeria!  grin grin grin

I also hope this thread will not provide a justifiable reason for Nigeria1/BecomeRich to pepper us with aerial photos.  grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Sauron1: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
Ibime:

This is a great development! I hope they find oil under mainland Lagos itself so they can bulldoze that slum and clear out the disease infested population back to their states of origin.

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap dia. . . . . .Ikeja is part of Lagos Mainland and it's crisp.
Stop dissing Lagos, don't get me started this afternoon.

I also hope this development will make Lagosians see cause to fight for indigenous rights to land and minerals which have been denied to their brothers in the SS and SE. We can form the Movement for the Emancipation of Southern Nigeria!  grin grin grin

Yoruba peops are gentle souls. How effective are the OPCs these days??
Everybody wants to live, relax and enjoy. . . . . .We are not militants like our brothers in the Niger Delta.

I also hope this thread will not provide a justifiable reason for Nigeria1/BecomeRich to pepper us with aerial photos.  grin

No comment. lipsrsealed
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by desgiezd(m): 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2009
A sweet news to the ear. Somehow I have always had this feeling that there should be oil in Lagos because of the nature of the soil along with the ocean and Lagoon surrounding it so much so that I had to ask a geologist sometime ago.

With someone like Fashola at the driver's seat managing the derivative fund that would accrue, the state is set to explode.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by mustafar1: 3:27pm On Feb 25, 2009
they should please leave the oil under our feet. we prefare to walk on it rather than bringing it out of its 'natural habitat' because bringing it out would blind us from all the potentials of the state. in this case it is off-shore, they should leave it there. fashola can go ahead and build a second eko atlantic on it.

but if exploration starts does lagos state become being referred to as niger-delta or part of the area included in the NDDC because it seems the term niger-delta is being used to refer to the oil producing states.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by desgiezd(m): 3:37pm On Feb 25, 2009
must_a_far:

but if exploration starts does lagos state become being referred to as niger-delta or part of the area included in the NDDC because it seems the term niger-delta is being used to refer to the oil producing states.

I guess that name would have to change to something like Oil Producing Areas Development Commission (OPADEC)

Ol boy! why would you rather trample upon money rather than bring it out and spend it for the good of all.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by asha80(m): 3:41pm On Feb 25, 2009
I guess that name would have to change to something like Oil Producing Areas Development Commission (OPADEC)

Ol boy! why would you rather trample upon money rather than bring it out and spend it for the good of all.[/quote]

I wonder if the money been churned out from the present delta is for the good of all undecided
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by mustafar1: 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2009
desgiezd:

Ol boy! why would you rather trample upon money rather than bring it out and spend it for the good of all.

the one in the naija delta that we didnt trample upon is what is killing us at the moment. thats why. the one we didnt trample upon has made us neglect everything else neglectable. the money we get from it presently is going into building airports in states where they have little or no potential of profitable air traffic. the money we derive currently is being used to build airports for states that have a somewhat manufactring sector/economy so they could export their goods. it makes sense but wont it help to encourage/financially ur manufacturers to improve the quality of there products so as to make the good competitive before u think of ways to facilitate exporting.

i just dey vex small this morning, my views might come out angry but i mean some of them. maibe a little refining would help.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by naijaking1: 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
Good news, a better news would be when they find oil in Sokoto or Kano. I can't wait for other Nigerians to taste what people of the Niger-Delta have been suffering enjoying over the years after oil was discovered in their place.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by desgiezd(m): 4:10pm On Feb 25, 2009
I might be wrong here but I feel the places where oil have been discovered after the Niger Delta, like Ondo, Imo & others, there have not been much agitation and I think the reason is that the communities were able to put across their expectations even before explorations started and I think these expectations are being met one way or the other. I am not sure our people in Niger Delta had this sort of opportunity and they only started agitating when they discovered that their fishing waters and little arable lands have been polluted and rendered unproductive, economically. I also think this happened because at the time, people didnt realise how devastating these exploration activities would be to the environment, enlightenment was very low.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by StFunmi(f): 4:17pm On Feb 25, 2009
Finally, BecomeRich has a financial source that will finance his dream. It'll only be a matter of minutes before he spams this thread.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by asha80(m): 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2009
Finally, BecomeRich has a financial source that will finance his dream. It'll only be a matter of minutes before he spams this thread.

grin grin grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2009
see as oil discovery don turn debosky to nigeria1 grin grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by debosky(m): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
Offshore oil and gas production has minimal impact on land - apart from the export terminals/supply base, people on the shore won't have an inkling that there is oil and gas production going on offshore.

In that respect, the case of Lagos is very different to the bulk of the environmental problems being encountered in the Niger Delta. With the level of enlightenment available now, I believe the previous mistakes will not be repeated.

@ Oyb

abeg oh! grin My own map is with a purpose, no be senseless maps with crayon markings on them. cheesy
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by honeric01(m): 4:54pm On Feb 25, 2009
Now Fashola should give 1 million naira to every born lagosian as a start grin grin kiss
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
@topic

Praise god for this discovery. His name will be praised even more if they can find such in northern nigeria so we can know where we all stand.

Hope they will also find silver, gold and diamond in these areas too.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Lagosboy: 6:20pm On Feb 25, 2009
honeric01:

Now Fashola should give 1 million naira to every born lagosian as a start grin grin kiss

I second the motion but would narrow it down to those whose parents were born in lagos grin grin grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 25, 2009
Lagosboy:

I second the motion but would narrow it down to those whose parents were born in lagos grin grin grin

word is bond!

was born in lag! my mum is from Lag - hit me with at least N660,000 grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by MrCrackles(m): 6:26pm On Feb 25, 2009
honeric01:

Shishi, u nor go get! tongue
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by MrCrackles(m): 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2009
I am more worried about the potential unrest and maybe bloodshed, this discovery might cause!

Why cant we discover something else, so our over-reliance on oil can be sorted out?
angry
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:44pm On Feb 25, 2009
I thought in Nigeria it is the Federal government that controls oil.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
Guys is there a way we could keep this thread away from BecomeSateliteMap/BecomeBeninRepublic?
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by AloyEmeka9: 6:53pm On Feb 25, 2009
I am more worried about the potential unrest and maybe bloodshed, this discovery might cause!

Why cant we discover something else, so our over-reliance on oil can be sorted out?

What's the importance of discovering some other thing when you haven't put to good use the one you have at hand. Look at America borrowing over 1trillion to recycle their economy. Why can't we stimulate ours in Nigeria?. What stops the govt from embarking on dear projects like road construction, refurbishing schools, energy etc. I wouldn't mind them building HOV lanes in lagos and installing toll gates. If it'll cost me N1K per trip on toll fees to drive from Ikeja to island, I wouldn't mind. It will also create jobs for people, decongest the roads, help businesses grow better and faster and push the economy around. Employment is not only getting jobs in banks or oil companies, cleaning thrash, delivery etc are also part of employment but most of them cannot come into fruition if we do not create ways to make them better. Nigeria can be so frustrating, I swear.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by DrKitaun(m): 7:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
now Lagos can truly excel ! grin
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by DrKitaun(m): 7:20pm On Feb 25, 2009
yes we shall !  cheesy
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by debosky(m): 7:22pm On Feb 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

angry

There will be no unrest or bloodshed from this discovery - it is offshore and will not destroy livelihood of poor farmers leaving them jobless.

One of the ways of sorting out the over dependence is to USE the oil resources to develop other areas/businesses. That is what we've failed at so far.

JosBoy4Lif:

I thought in Nigeria it is the Federal government that controls oil.
The Fed does, but if more zones have oil, the center becomes less attractive because you don't need the ND's oil money to survive.

@ Kit

Abeg connect me to the Folawiyos or BRF, I have a proposal on how to 'protect the environment' cheesy
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by DrKitaun(m): 7:26pm On Feb 25, 2009
@dEBOSKY

u know my email . . .hit me up cheesy

and I mean it for real . . .
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by Nobody: 7:32pm On Feb 25, 2009
Dr

Can I send u an email too. I have a nobel idea on how to combat the menace of street urchins on the streets/bustops of Lagos.

But I dont have your email address
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by bawomolo(m): 9:20pm On Feb 25, 2009
see as the thieves dey share contract tongue.
Re: Commercial Oil Discovery In Lagos: Matters Arising by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:31am On Feb 26, 2009
debosky:

The Fed does, but if more zones have oil, the center becomes less attractive because you don't need the ND's oil money to survive.

Imagine Petro Canada trying to control the Oil Sands in Alberta, It will never work.
Nigeria should allow those who live on the land(statesmen) manage the resources.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Dissection Of Bb And Goodlucksambo Manifesto - Part 1 / Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? / Updates Of Cross River Guber Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.