Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression (13201 Views)

Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by lertee(f): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for sharing this.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by tnature: 6:50pm On Oct 20, 2013
parismarc: Thanks 4 the information,I believe that's what am currently experiencing,I gave birth 4 weeks ago and sometimes,a feeling of intense sadness overwhelms me,I feel life is meaningless,I hope the feeling goes away sha.
Hi parismarc. So sorry that you are experiencing some form of PPD. Please don't keep it to yourself. I hope you have some kind of support system. Tell ur husband exactly how u feel and have him read up on PPD and how families can offer support. The original post on the site includes links to resources for mothers and family members. Please visit the site (link is included in the OP).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I pray that you get through it ASAP smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 7:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
ajayi147: good
all these are blabbIng thanks to the westernerd for injecting our women with their diseases and our african women thanks for whole heartedly accepting it, coz I know that in the olden days such rubbish dosent happen.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by 9jamum(f): 7:37pm On Oct 20, 2013
My own experience was driving everyone around me insane because they couldn't understand why my mood swings were so unpredictable.

I went on for days not relating well with my "mum". I was on red alert for fear of what I might do to my daughter. Its a serious issue and its one every woman should be educated about.

www.singlenaijamum.com
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by adorable29(f): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2013
agoha_vivi: I usually feel so depressed whenever my mum leaves after the traditional omugwo otherwise known as the process of taking care of a nursing mother and her baby. After the birth of my first child my mum came around and the thought of her leaving would make me feel like crying unfortunately her omugo never exceeds 3 weeks because she's still in service and has to return to work. After the birth of my first child i got so depressed cos aside my hubby who returns after work in the evening, I'm usually alone with the baby from morning till evening and that lonliness got me really depressed, infact I was looking for an excuse to go back to my fathers house. My second delivery was not so bad and unlike my first, I had my husbands cousin staying with me. She was wonderful company so I didnt feel so lonely. The truth is that it is easier for one to overcome this feeling when she has caring and understanding relatives around especially the mum also I discourage the idea that the mother-in law should be the one to stay with a woman at this moment because she would never be as understanding as a mother afterall I could comfortably tell my mum to prepare somthing for me to eat whereas doing same with my mum-in -law, would sound insulting to her. GBAM!
If your mother in law adds to your stress and you have PPD, it could make it worst!!! No one like one's mother. Miss my mum so much! May God keep us for our children.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by satellitedaisy: 8:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
eddiebruk: Animals like Dog's are clear example of this situation, they get so irritated and sometimes kill their children, Didn't we also read about a Mama elephant that tried Killing her child whom she just gave birth to on NL Front page some few weeks ago...?

Oyibo bu agara grin grin
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by agohavivi(f): 8:38pm On Oct 20, 2013
Okeyson4wisdom: all these are blabbIng thanks to the westernerd for injecting our women with their diseases and our african women thanks for whole heartedly accepting it, coz I know that in the olden days such rubbish dosent happen.
who told you they never did? Most african women of your preferred era bottle up their problems and die silently but in present day, people are more exposed and welcome to modern ideas and solutions coupled with the use of mass media, people are better informed except for the likes of you who argue about what they know nothing about. I'm a mother of two and can address this issue cos I'v been there. I'm not surprised, afterall in the land of the blind the one eyed man is called king.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Agrika: 8:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
This is serious, baba God when my male twins land na ur hand i go dey oo

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by SPIDER90: 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Sincerely this is one of the best topics that I have come across on nairaland.
Mod! thumbs up.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Samscofield: 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
It's interestingg knowing more about women and their complications. This will surely help me to handle my wife when she eventually puts to bed. Nice one OP.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by SenatorJames(m): 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Nice post. let me quickly write it down to educate my wife when the time comes.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by medinajabbar(f): 9:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
i had that depression 5mnths ago wen i lost my 6months pregnancy,i cried 24/7,i was fustrated and wanted to know where my baby was buried..all i wanted was to pull out his body b4 he decays...it was a boy and also my very first pregnancy

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by OMORIHI(f): 10:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
God have mercy on we mothers.(Amen)
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Melinde: 10:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
I have a 3mnths old baby and he is my 1st child. I base in UK, during the ante-natal classes, we were sensitized on this (PPD). I noticed that my son did not disturb for the past 2mnths but at his 3mnths he started crying without reason. Each time his cry becomes unbearable and if i notice that i am becoming depressed, i will just be whispering in his ear that i love him no matter what.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by ohemm(f): 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
I got really depressed when i had my son which got worsened by the presense of my MIL as she expected me to do the cooking for her few days after having a c-section.i totally just ignored her cos i wasnt prepared to go to an early grave.i had to give hubby an ultimatum to send her home before i go crazy. PPD is real and it's easier to handle when one is aware of it.

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Agrika: 11:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
U ppl are really scaring me
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Hillaco: 12:16am On Oct 21, 2013
thanks for the information
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by 9jamum(f): 12:25am On Oct 21, 2013
Agrika: U ppl are really scaring me

Its no joke, have you not heard of how some mothers slept on their babies thereby killing them cos they got so depressed of late nite breast feeding.

After delivery you just get all your hormones rioting all at the same time with family and friends demanding so much from you. Adding that to you coming to terms with your body change is enough to cause depression of the highest level!

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by 99cent: 12:31am On Oct 21, 2013
This should be on front page.
I have heard of severe case of PPD like this where a mother killed her 6 week old baby. I have also heard of cases where the mother becomes suicidal.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by ayobase(m): 6:26am On Oct 21, 2013
medina jabbar: i had that depression 5mnths ago wen i lost my 6months pregnancy,i cried 24/7,i was fustrated and wanted to know where my baby was buried..all i wanted was to pull out his body b4 he decays...it was a boy and also my very first pregnancy

6 months? Kai!
Take heart for ur loss sister. Very painful indeed.

Just be getting ready for astonishing miracle. Who knows if its gonna be twins or triplet this time around!

God will surely give back in folds!

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by tnature: 6:32am On Oct 21, 2013
ayobase:

6 months? Kai!
Take heart for ur loss sister. Very painful indeed.

Just be getting ready for astonishing miracle. Who knows if its gonna be twins or triplet this time around!

God will surely give back in folds!
Spot on!
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by godunia(m): 6:36am On Oct 21, 2013
agoha_vivi: I usually feel so depressed whenever my mum leaves after the traditional omugwo otherwise known as the process of taking care of a nursing mother and her baby. After the birth of my first child my mum came around and the thought of her leaving would make me feel like crying unfortunately her omugo never exceeds 3 weeks because she's still in service and has to return to work. After the birth of my first child i got so depressed cos aside my hubby who returns after work in the evening, I'm usually alone with the baby from morning till evening and that lonliness got me really depressed, infact I was looking for an excuse to go back to my fathers house. My second delivery was not so bad and unlike my first, I had my husbands cousin staying with me. She was wonderful company so I didnt feel so lonely. The truth is that it is easier for one to overcome this feeling when she has caring and understanding relatives around especially the mum also I discourage the idea that the mother-in law should be the one to stay with a woman at this moment because she would never be as understanding as a mother afterall I could comfortably tell my mum to prepare somthing for me to eat whereas doing same with my mum-in -law, would sound insulting to her. GBAM!
what if your mum is late #just asking#
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by mimina: 6:53am On Oct 21, 2013
ℓ̊ have two wonderful kids but have never expoerienced it. Good topic though and ℓ̊ hope it helps mothers in need
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Raxxye(m): 7:43am On Oct 21, 2013
Good topic. Lesson learnt. Who knows, I may find it useful in future when she finally arrives. God bless the women!
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by depressionkills(f): 8:27am On Oct 21, 2013
tnature: I just read about a 35-year-old nursing mother who committed suicide few hours after dedicating her 3-months-old baby. The only reasonable explanation for such an act is Postpartum Depression, also known as postnatal depression. According to the report, the woman's husband noticed the signs of depression but it never occurred to him that she could take her life.

I was saddened by the news, so I decided to write this post to raise awareness, especially among the African community.

About 80% of new moms experience the "baby blues" in the first couple of weeks after childbirth, which are caused by hormonal changes that takes place in a woman's body after the birth of a child. Symptoms include irritability, crying spells, mood swings, trouble sleeping and sadness. These conditions are generally not serious and fades away quickly.

However, some moms experience a more severe, long-lasting form of these feelings known as Postpartum Depression. In addition to the symptoms mentioned earlier, it can also result in feeling of guilt or shame, withdrawal from friends and family, lack of joy, and difficulty bonding with the baby. It is usually treated by counseling and medication, but exercising, eating well, and getting enough rest can also help.

In rare cases, a woman may experience a severe form of depression known as Postpartum Psychosis. This condition is characterized by hallucinations, paranoia, irrational thoughts, and being a danger to oneself and the baby. This is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention because it can get worse and put the mother or others in danger.

It is important to understand that Postpartum Depression isn't a character flaw or a weakness. These changes can be caused by hormonal changes that occur after pregnancy. Any woman can get postpartum depression in the months after childbirth, stillbirth, or miscarriage.

Partners, friends, and family - your support during the first few months after pregnancy will go a long way to reduce the occurrence of Postpartum Depression.

Share Your Thoughts

Do you know anyone who has experienced Postpartum Depression? Please describe the experience and share tips on how to deal with the condition.

Source

Hello there, smiley
do you mind me quoting this for my post on mental illness??

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Sparkle777(f): 8:50am On Oct 21, 2013
A

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by EmpNero003(m): 9:50am On Oct 21, 2013
tnature: I just read about a 35-year-old nursing mother who committed suicide few hours after dedicating her 3-months-old baby. The only reasonable explanation for such an act is Postpartum Depression, also known as postnatal depression. According to the report, the woman's husband noticed the signs of depression but it never occurred to him that she could take her life.

I was saddened by the news, so I decided to write this post to raise awareness, especially among the African community.

About 80% of new moms experience the "baby blues" in the first couple of weeks after childbirth, which are caused by hormonal changes that takes place in a woman's body after the birth of a child. Symptoms include irritability, crying spells, mood swings, trouble sleeping and sadness. These conditions are generally not serious and fades away quickly.

However, some moms experience a more severe, long-lasting form of these feelings known as Postpartum Depression. In addition to the symptoms mentioned earlier, it can also result in feeling of guilt or shame, withdrawal from friends and family, lack of joy, and difficulty bonding with the baby. It is usually treated by counseling and medication, but exercising, eating well, and getting enough rest can also help.

In rare cases, a woman may experience a severe form of depression known as Postpartum Psychosis. This condition is characterized by hallucinations, paranoia, irrational thoughts, and being a danger to oneself and the baby. This is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention because it can get worse and put the mother or others in danger.

It is important to understand that Postpartum Depression isn't a character flaw or a weakness. These changes can be caused by hormonal changes that occur after pregnancy. Any woman can get postpartum depression in the months after childbirth, stillbirth, or miscarriage.

Partners, friends, and family - your support during the first few months after pregnancy will go a long way to reduce the occurrence of Postpartum Depression.

Share Your Thoughts

Do you know anyone who has experienced Postpartum Depression? Please describe the experience and share tips on how to deal with the condition.

Source

Thanks OP, I now know what was wrong with my wife after our first child in July! Thank God for helping us through it. I noticed her behaviors were kinda caustic and I tried helping with most domestic activities before my mum came. But at some point I must confess, I also got angry and cautioned her, I guess that was when she calmed down. If we had known this then, it would have helped better. Thanks for the educative information.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by EmpNero003(m): 9:58am On Oct 21, 2013
Sparkle777: does this also occur in expectin mothers esp when the hubby is the wicked nasty type?what is the best route to take if you re already stressed even befor puttin to bed?

Now that you have this valuable knowledge, you should be better prepared. just try to relax yourself, take things easy and just do your best and leave the rest for God to help you. As for your Husband STOP calling him "the wicked nasty type" your word are very powerful if you are a xtain, you would understand what I m saying. Instead keep confessing good things about him and mean it in your heart even if its obvious he is the opposite, with time he would begin to become what you say he is.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by fibonacciseries(f): 10:28am On Oct 21, 2013
tnature:
Thanks for sharing your experience dominique. About 80% of women experience at least "baby blues" and a significant percent of those experience PPD. You were able to deal with it better because you've read. it.

I wish this post could make the front page so that more people are aware and they can even offer support for women going through it. At the least, when a nursing mom starts showing signs of PPD, they recognize it and not blame the woman for being mean.
There are some in-laws/relatives who would come to the family under the pretence they come to take care of the newborn baby, at the end of the day they become burden to the woman who just gave birth, the person who suppose to be taken care of, would now be the one to take care of the inlaws/relatives and the baby to the extent that she wouldnt have time for herself even to rest. The funniest and saddiest part of the matter is that if something now happened to the woman, they would be crying and saying they have been helping her, b4 u know whats happening the baby would turn to their source of income from the father who is now married to another woman. My advice, woman take care of your baby and yourself first then relative if you have the strength. I have passed through it b4 by GOD grace and i am speaking from experience. Thank GOD upon all odds, i survived.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Glamglam(f): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2013
Unfortunately, after the birth of my first, I suffered from this but not so soon after birth, this was after 4 months. It was a terrible feeling. Yep, suicide came to mind more than a couple of times. I felt lonely at the same time wanted to hide in a corner! I got a part-time job to eliminate that lonely feeling but my moods were unpredictable. I refused to communicate with friends for a long time. Long story short, i got help from the GP (medication and all). Really, we need raise the awareness of PND because not even my husband understood what I was going through. Infact, the only friend that came to my aid was someone who suffered from same and she always called to make sure I was alright. When I went through the period of hiding and not pick up my calls, she would come knocking at my door. Thankfully, I'm better now kiss

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by agohavivi(f): 10:59am On Oct 21, 2013
godunia: what if your mum is late #just asking#
Any other elderly relative whom one is comfortable with can play that role. It might be an aunt, god mother, family friend or even an elder sister. If one is very close to the mother in law and she's understanding, then she can play the role. What I'm againt is cultures that insist that the mother in law must carry out the omugwo responsibility. I wouldnt want to sound tribalistic but certain cultures in this country, relegate this duty to the mum in law.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by fibonacciseries(f): 11:11am On Oct 21, 2013
Okeyson4wisdom: all these are blabbIng thanks to the westernerd for injecting our women with their diseases and our african women thanks for whole heartedly accepting it, coz I know that in the olden days such rubbish dosent happen.
Maybe you'll get the truth when you make enquiry from any long-exisisting grandparents. All i know is that it happened in the olden days. PPD is not a new problem, its just that we're just discovering it and its names.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

19,396 Test HIV Positive In Niger State – Perm Sec / Monkeypox: Family Of Suicide Victim In Bayelsa Blames Hospital's Negligence. / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.