Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

What Color Was Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Color Was Jesus? (3983 Views)

Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) / Was Jesus Created Or People Misunderstand The Bible? / Was Jesus Married And Did He Fake His Death? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 6:26pm On Jul 06, 2008
So many black christians in America argue that Jesus was black, some white christians maintain that he was white while others claim that he was Arabic or something close to that and this controversial issue is becoming so deep that it has taken away the important message from the cross because most christians here are fixated on color and whether there was a "white" propaganda in presenting Jesus to the world. A friend told me this morning that it's very important we christians find the real truth b/c he is convinced that Jesus was black. Is this really important? Does it matter whether Jesus was blue, red, white or black? What do you think was his color from your own perspective? Why is the christian world making a big deal out of it? cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by ayinba1(f): 6:30pm On Jul 06, 2008
Jesus (AS) was a Jew. I hope this helps. He spoke Aramaic, the language of the common people then. So his skin color may have been a more mideastern tone. I agree with you that his message should be more important than his skin color.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by CH3COO(m): 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2008
funmi this is one tasteless topic.  i'm sure you can do better.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2008
So his skin color may have been a more mideastern tone
Mid eastern tone? There were black jews, dark indians, light skinned arabs and white jews?.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2008
ayinba1:

Jesus (AS) was a Jew.

Which Jesus is yours?

Matthew 1:16 . . . whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Matthew 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

I ask again . . . who is your own Jesus (AS)? He certainly cannot be Jesus who is called CHRIST!

For this is the meaning of Christ - [size=13pt]Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed." [/size]

Is this "Jesus (AS)" a messiah?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by ayinba1(f): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2008
@ Red----

He could have been any of those colors, but I may be wrong in assuming that you care more about his message than his color. I do not know his exact color but I am sure some historical texts may supply this answer to your satisfaction.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 7:15pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Ayinba,
Jesus (AS)
What is the meaning of the AS in Jesus? I didn't notice that before. Clarify please.

Re: What Color Was Jesus? by ayinba1(f): 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2008
Jesus (AS). AS is an abbreviated form of "alayhi salatu wasalam". It means "Peace of God be upon him" . We , muslims, say this blessings whenever we hear or mention a prophet's name.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by huxley(m): 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2008
Debates about the nature of JC is not new. The first 300 years of Christian belief saw the following christian factions:

Marcionism - Christ was purely a spiritual entity
Nestorianism - Jesus and Christ were two different entities
Docetism - Jesus appeared physical, but he was really incorporeal
Apollinariam - Jesus had a human body and human soul, but a divine mind
Arianism - Jesus was the son of God, not God himself
Catholicism - Jesus was both God and the son of God

What accounts for this wide variety of belief about the nature of JC bearly 300 years after he is supposed to have lived?

In the same way that the Catholic faction won the victory over the nature of JC, if the faction that believed JC to be black were to win the ideological battle, we would see a black christology developing.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 7:26pm On Jul 06, 2008
Jesus (AS). AS is an abbreviated form of "alayhi salatu wasalam". It means "Peace of God be upon him" . We , muslims, say this blessings whenever we hear or mention a prophet's name.
Jesus was not a prophet. He was the messiah and you people should stop mixing Him up with prophets. Elijah, Elisha etc were prophets just like we have TB Joshua today.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 06, 2008
RedHotChic:

Jesus was not a prophet. He was the messiah and you people should stop mixing Him up with prophets. Elijah, Elisha etc were prophets just like we have TB Joshua today.

No i think she was refering to a mythical Jesus (AS). It definitely isnt the CHRIST that is talked about in the bible. I'm sure Ayinba1 knows that. Maybe this Jesus (AS) was a "prophet" . . . perhaps he wasnt even a jew.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 8:17pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Davidylan

Which Jesus is yours?

Matthew 1:16 . . . whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Matthew 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

I ask again . . . who is your own Jesus (AS)? He certainly cannot be Jesus who is called CHRIST!

For this is the meaning of Christ - Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."

Let me know when you finish getting worked up. The name 'christ' happened to be a title and no specialty attached to it. We also have in the bible where non-living things were referred to as same?

David, do you really understand the two words, 'christ' and 'Al masih'/Messiah'?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 06, 2008
babs787:

@Davidylan

Let me know when you finish getting worked up. The name 'christ' happened to be a title and no specialty attached to it. We also have in the bible where non-living things were referred to as same?

non-living things refered to as the CHRIST?  shocked Deception is entering an all-time low. If there were no "specialty" to that name then why did brother John say this? 1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

If there is nothing attached to CHRIST why do we have an anti-christ and not an anti-Jesus? Could it be more than a title as you so demean it?

babs787:

David, do you really understand the two words, 'christ' and 'Al masih'/Messiah'?

Christ is the greek word for "Messiah". That much is gospel truth.

[size=13pt]For this is the meaning of Christ - Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."[/size]

Do i explain again?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 8:29pm On Jul 06, 2008
Where exactly in the bible did they refer Christ as a non living thing? Could it be the same place you people saw the bible refer Jesus Christ as a prophet?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 8:57pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Redhotchic

Where exactly in the bible did they refer Christ as a non living thing? Could it be the same place you people saw the bible refer Jesus Christ as a prophet?

Get the meaning of the word 'christ' and 'messiah' first before having a discussion with me. I have provided detailed response to your brother's post below, you only need to read to acquire additional knowledge.

@Davidylan

non-living things refered to as the CHRIST?   Deception is entering an all-time low. If there were no "specialty" to that name then why did brother John say this? 1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

From the jewish perspective, the word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word " Mashiach", whose translation is "Anointed".  It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, I Kings 1:39, II Kings 9:3).

Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

Ezekiel 28 v 14: You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones.

You were the anointed cherub that covers with overshadowing [wings], and I set you so. You were upon the holy mountain of God; you walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire [like the paved work of gleaming sapphire stone upon which the God of Israel walked on Mount Sinai]. [Exod. 24:10.]

If there is nothing attached to CHRIST why do we have an anti-christ and not an anti-Jesus? Could it be more than a title as you so demean it?

From the Bible Dictionary: Christ
A title for Jesus meaning “Messiah” or “anointed one.”

Christ is the greek word for "Messiah". That much is gospel truth.

For this is the meaning of Christ -  Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."

Do i explain again?

There are many Messiahs in the Bible.  Since every King and High Priest was anointed with oil, each may be referred to as "an anointed one". For example read: I Samuel 26:11. II Samuel 23:1, Isaiah 45:1, Psalms 20:6.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 06, 2008
babs787:

@Davidylan

From the jewish perspective, the word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word " Mashiach", whose translation is "Anointed". It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, I Kings 1:39, II Kings 9:3).

Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

Ezekiel 28 v 14: You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones.

You were the anointed cherub that covers with overshadowing [wings], and I set you so. You were upon the holy mountain of God; you walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire [like the paved work of gleaming sapphire stone upon which the God of Israel walked on Mount Sinai]. [Exod. 24:10.]

From the Bible Dictionary: Christ
A title for Jesus meaning “Messiah” or “anointed one.”

There are many Messiahs in the Bible. Since every King and High Priest was anointed with oil, each may be referred to as "an anointed one". For example read: I Samuel 26:11. II Samuel 23:1, Isaiah 45:1, Psalms 20:6.

You sire, are a decietful man.

The meaning for "Messiah" is "the Anointed One".

Sire, there is a difference between that and "anointed cherub" - which strictly refers to an angel (cherub).

An "anointing" in the bible signified the presence/leading of God on the individual . . . mention ONE person sire, that was refered to as "the anointed one" in the bible.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Davidylan

Please refute this and I would provide additional explanation to the word 'christ' and 'messiah' and I also noticed that you used cherub to refer to angel as 'the anointed angel' huh?

From the jewish perspective, the word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word " Mashiach", whose translation is "Anointed".  It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, I Kings 1:39, II Kings 9:3).
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2008
babs787:

@Davidylan

Please refute this and I would provide additional explanation to the word 'christ' and 'messiah'

From the jewish perspective, the word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word " Mashiach", whose translation is "Anointed". It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, I Kings 1:39, II Kings 9:3).

thou man of deciet . . . it means "anointed ONE". you cant remove that no matter how many false websites you dig up.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by ayinba1(f): 10:25pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Redhotchic,

I read Babs post. he did not say Jesus (AS) was described as a "non living thing" He said the word "anointed" was used in the bible to qualify both animate and inanimate objects. This is easily confirmed by looking through the bible. He was a prophet and messenger of the most High. I understand you may not agree but it does not change the fact.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 06, 2008
ayinba1:

@Redhotchic,

I read Babs post. he did not say Jesus (AS) was described as a "non living thing" He said the word "anointed" was used in the bible to qualify both animate and inanimate objects.

Christ means - THE ANOINTED ONE/Messiah . . . a phrase that is not used to describe anything or anyone else in the bible.

ayinba1:

This is easily confirmed by looking through the bible.

No its not.

ayinba1:

He was a prophet and messenger of the most High.

. . . according to islamic fables. He is not ONCE described as such by the bible, nor historical jewish documents, nor ancient archeological evidence all which regard Him as THE CHRIST.

ayinba1:

I understand you may not agree but it does not change the fact.

What "facts" exactly?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 06, 2008
ayinba1:

@Redhotchic,

I read Babs post. he did not say Jesus (AS) was described as a "non living thing" He said the word "anointed" was used in the bible to qualify both animate and inanimate objects. This is easily confirmed by looking through the bible. He was a prophet and messenger of the most High. I understand you may not agree but it does not change the fact.

What babs did was merely plagiarise the already discredited work of Ahmed Deedat.

- The original greek title of Jesus is ho Christo - which means THE Christ

- The quran itself describes Jesus as al masih - which means THE Messiah.

Those are the REAL FACTS.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 11:57pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Redhotchic,

I read Babs post. he did not say Jesus (AS) was described as a "non living thing" He said the word "anointed" was used in the bible to qualify both animate and inanimate objects. This is easily confirmed by looking through the bible[b]. He was a prophet and messenger of the most High[/b]. I understand you may not agree but it does not change the fact.
Can you tell me the bible chapter and verse where Jesus Christ was referred to as a prophet of the most high or are you just making this up just to equate Him with other prophets you worship? How far people can go to discredit the deity of Christ surprise me a lot. I don't know why other peaceful religions try so hard to put Jesus out as a prophet when Christians are even indifferent about the existence of their own prophet or have you heard any christian biting his nail here about whether your prophet is anointed or a messiah? I smell inferiority complex at play.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Cayon(f): 12:43am On Jul 07, 2008
Jesus was a Rastaman. does that answer your question?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by ayinba1(f): 1:57am On Jul 07, 2008
@redhc
You got it completely wrong. I had hoped for an intellectual discourse and we seem to be headed away from it.taking it from the last segment of your post; if a christian accepted the prophethood of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh), there would be absolutely no logical point of him/her remaining a christian because it would be clear to him/her then that Islam is the religion practised by Jesus and all other great men of God (I mean prophets). No inferiority complex here, a muslim does not deny Prophet Isa/ Jesus (AS) simply because a christian denies the Holy Prophet Mohammed (pbuh). Such a person would not be considered a muslim.

I hope this aids your understanding.

About the bible verses, you know exactly where to find those verses.  I would expect you to since you are a christian, I presume. If not, I can pull them up for you. It may take me a little while though as I do not wish to quote incorrectly.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 07, 2008
Sorry to cut in again but some things need straightening out.

ayinba1:

@redhc
You got it completely wrong.

Reading your response, it is clear you either did not understand RHC's subliminal message or u deliberately chose to ignore it.

ayinba1:

I had hoped for an intellectual discourse and we seem to be headed away from it.

This kind of issues very rarely produce an "intellectual discourse". More often than not its two camps firmly rooted in their own ideologies hurling ineffectual and most times false claims at each other.

ayinba1:

if a christian accepted the prophethood of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh)

this had nothing to do with RHC's post. Her question was not about whether christians accepted mohammad or not . . . she was wondering why muslims tend to TRY SO HARD to prove that Jesus THE CHRIST is nothing but a prophet when the average christian isnt at all bothered about mohammad's status. I reproduce her question for ur benefit - How far people can go to discredit the deity of Christ surprise me a lot. I don't know why other peaceful religions try so hard to put Jesus out as a prophet when Christians are even indifferent about the existence of their own prophet or have you heard any christian biting his nail here about whether your prophet is anointed or a messiah?

ayinba1:

there would be absolutely no logical point of him/her remaining a christian because it would ne clear to him/her then that Islam is the religion practised by Jesus and all other great men of God (I mean prophets).

the above quote in highlights also highlights RHC's legitimate concern. Why are muslims TRYING SO HARD to force the biblical Christ and the biblical Jewish prophets into practicing islam? Is any christian bothered whether Mohammad inadvertently once practiced christianity?

ayinba1:

a muslim does not denyProphet Isa/ Jesus (AS) simply because a christian denies the Holy Prophet Mohammed (pbuh). Such a person would not be considered a muslim.

This is not about "denying" this or that . . . christians believe the bible . . . mohammad isnt there.
As regards whether muslims deny "prophet isa" or not, it is really of no consequence. All an average christian is interested in is showing that the so called "prophet isa" bears no semblance to Jesus THE CHRIST that we read about in the bible.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by RedHotChic(f): 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2008
@redhc
You got it completely wrong. I had hoped for an intellectual discourse and we seem to be headed away from it.
I don't think that saying heresy will qualify for an intellectual discourse. I also do not think you'll tke it lightly with me if i claim that Moh'ammed was not a prophet but a herdsman from Afghanistan and can be found in the quran even though I can't place my hand on it. Jesus Christ was never referred as a prophet in the bible. You can prove your hypothesis to those that haven't seen the bible before.

About the bible verses, you know exactly where to find those verses. I would expect you to since you are a christian, I presume. If not, I can pull them up for you. It may take me a little while though as I do not wish to quote incorrectly.
What? I just said that I haven't seen it before. You may wanna help me by citing them please.
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 07, 2008
RedHotChic:

I don't think that saying heresy will qualify for an intellectual discourse. I also do not think you'll tke it lightly with me if i claim that Moh'ammed was not a prophet but a herdsman from Afghanistan and can be found in the quran even though I can't place my hand on it. Jesus Christ was never referred as a prophet in the bible. You can prove your hypothesis to those that haven't seen the bible before.

He was . . . but the bible is more than plain that He was much more than just a prophet.
He forgave sins.
He died and rose again as a Saviour.
He is a deliverer
He is a Ruler over principalities and powers.
At His name every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that He is the Lord . . .
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by LadyT(f): 7:33pm On Jul 07, 2008
David why are you even trying to explain things to this madwoman?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 8:09pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Davidylan

What babs did was merely plagiarise the already discredited work of Ahmed Deedat.

Fools would always portray themselves as one. Why do you like crying 'plagiariazation' even when glaring fact are presented? I didnt copy hiswork and you should be able to refute what I presented rather than giving lame excuses.

-
The original greek title of Jesus is ho Christo - which means THE Christ

- The quran itself describes Jesus as al masih - which means THE Messiah.

Those are the REAL FACTS.

How does the above goes contrary to what I said?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 8:14pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Daidylan

this had nothing to do with RHC's post. Her question was not about whether christians accepted mohammad or not . . . she was wondering why muslims tend to TRY SO HARD to prove that Jesus THE CHRIST is nothing but a prophet when the average christian isnt at all bothered about mohammad's status. I reproduce her question for your benefit - How far people can go to discredit the deity of Christ surprise me a lot.  I don't know why other  peaceful religions try so hard to put Jesus out as a prophet when Christians are even indifferent about the existence of their own prophet or have you heard any christian biting his nail here  about whether your prophet is anointed or a messiah?

Why not tell the doctrine of trinity to your fellow Jehovah Witness?
Why not tell your planned 'stage play' called miracle to catholics among others?

He was . . . but the bible is more than plain that He was much more than just a prophet.
He forgave sins.

Which sins are you referring to? Have you forgotten that he has no power to guarantee heaven. Refresh your memory on a verse in which a woman went to her to guarantee her son a place in heven and read Jesus' response to the woman.

He died and rose again as a Saviour.

Where did he die?
When did he die?
Whop witnessed the alleged crucifixion and resurrection?
Was he crucified?

He is a deliverer
He is a Ruler over principalities and powers.

What powers when he cried and begged his saviour to save him. We have read stories of brave men, laughing when being led to their death but reverse was the case of a person that had knowledge of what he came to do but refused to do what he came to do shocked

At His name every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that He is the Lord . . .

Is that one for God in the OT or Jesus?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by babs787(m): 8:17pm On Jul 07, 2008
@LadyT

This goes a long to way to show the real peaceful/tolerant christians. I would not trade words with you but you are a woman and it shows your level of upbringiness.

David why are you even trying to explain things to this madwoman?

Did your religious leaders teach you the above or from your bible?
Re: What Color Was Jesus? by away4real(m): 12:22am On Jul 08, 2008
@ babs u guys cant stand the heat, and yet u want to go close to the fire.

You are here stating Christ / Cherubum (what level of intelligence). You are free to say whatever u choose and really we are glad u can and should. Please put JC to the test.

However, the moment Islam is put under the light, u guys get uncomfortable and start threathening. Go to your Islam room now, what is it?

For the uptenth time why do u guys try so hard to bring Jesus into the Koran, do u really crave credibility.

Mohammed is not in the bible and we dont want him there, keep him in the Koran, we are sure of the bible.

Jesus is the christ, he is our saviour, he was crucified and on the 3rd day rose from the dead and is seated at the right hand of the father. We know for certain that Mohammed is not in the bible in any form and Jesus not in the Koran.

Please do us all a favour and stop trying to call Jesus Isa he is not. Isa can be your prophet am not here not disprove that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ori Okori & Lorine Okotie's Songs / God’s Existence: The Deist Perspective / Why Are Catholic Nuns not usually beautiful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.