Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,109 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Best Computer Antivirus Software? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Best Computer Antivirus Software? (12528 Views)

21 Best Computer Tricks That Will Wooo You / 14 Best Computer Tricks You Should Know / How Can I Use My Avast Antivirus Software For Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Christino(m): 1:08pm On Sep 11, 2006
I'm yet to come across a Virus AVG can't deal with. Which antivirus has the highest number of definitions?

I used Panda (titanium and Platinum), Norton, McAfee and I've settled with AVG since 2003.

A friend recently got a Compaq Presario Laptop with Pre-installed norton, thinking Yahoo! could always be right (could be some biz strategy there, who knows) but he got an attack, and after 3 days, Norton detected but was unable to clean it. He reported the virus to norton, and the next day, the Virus took over Norton itself, he couldn't open it.

This same friend had been laughing my ass off for using some free stuff, but I had to help him out so I copied my 5 month Old AVG setup file on an Ipod, installed it, and bravo 380 viruses were detected and "CLEANED" one was sent to Vault.

Don't let some RAM hungry Utilities frustrate you.
AVG is tha best Antivirus software.
SuperAnti Spyware is the best Spyware remover.
RegCure and TuneUP are the best Registry Utilities and for Firewalls, I don't know!
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 11, 2006
Norton sucks!, I've been using Norton for about 2 years now at home along with Mcafee and I can tell the difference. Norton and Mcafee suck tongue

My pc has 512Mb of ram and when I had Norton, th epayload was so much that ther e was no difference between my pentium 4 processor and the ordinary pentium processor chip(maybe it's pentium1) undecided

Anyway I uninstalled the Norton of a thing and installed avast. After performing a single memory test 19 viruses, 5 spywares, 10 adwares and a host of trojans where discovered on my pc.

I wonder how they all got there when I had "Symantec Protection" for about 2 years.

I have even been upgrading and updating my Norton. Norton sucks once again.

And I pity all of you running Norton or Mcafee. Just download avast from the official avast site and you will regret ever having Norton and co.

I am beginning to believe that Mcafee is not an antivirus software, it is just a normal program. I cannot call it a virus detector because I can detect some viruses on a pc(that Mcafee has not detected) myself with Mcafee runnig on that system.

Kudos Avast!

I recommend avast for every, I mean everybody cool
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by jayjaync(f): 5:07pm On Sep 11, 2006
wow we learn new things evryday
and there i was thinking macfee is one,,,,,,whatver sha!!!
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by kg(f): 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2006
I've used McAfee and I'm now using AVG
I think I prefer McAfee
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by nico(m): 7:01pm On Sep 11, 2006
I don't use anti-virus anymore because it slows down my pc games
But I do back-ups with my external HDD
so it eliminates the need to have anti-virus protections.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Christino(m): 7:11am On Sep 12, 2006
nico:

I don't use anti-virus anymore because it slows down my pc games
But I do back-ups with my external HDD
so it eliminates the need to have anti-virus protections.

Nico, for as long as you have been tied to PC/Windows based systems, even your back-up is not safe. Some viruses can partition your back up into 23. As in Partition A - Z.

To eliminate the fear of viruses, trojans and worms almost completely, go for Apple Macintosh. THe latest apple laptop is the PowerMac and the cheapest is $1,100. Now you don't need to worry about crashes and viruses as all, or 99.999% of viruses are targeted at windows based systems only so your files are always safe with Apple mac and you only have to bother yourself with productive work and not subject your processor speed to stupid Viruses as a result of Microsoft's carelessness.

I'll go check out the latest statistics on Antivirus Comparisons and get back to y'all. i'm sorry for all windows users, myself inclusive.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by topsydoo(m): 10:36am On Sep 12, 2006
zone alarm antivirus to mi is freaking hot!veryvery gud,irregardless of yr system's config or problems,it does the work.zone alarm was one of the best products lastyear in the PCworld magazine poll--

aol ,avast,avg-grisoft,are all excellent products.d new mcAfee, norton are also kool ones.
NOD-32, F-secure,antivir are all best suited and offers the financially challenged a great opportunityof its use.

the basis lies on what actualli suits u and  one that has effectively worked for u.
anivirus/spyware can be deciphered with  this technical taxonomy(mind u,they all have their little defects and strong points):-

its your choice!but these points cud help.Godbless

1. free editions/ pre-registration hiccups.

2.technical support --most free editions might not have this!

3.signature file problems--- avg has that problem

4. software interface--avast's funky media player type doesnt suit some!

5.creation of rescue disks&mgt of the quarantine area--aol cud be weak ere!

6.scanning ability(both emails)&presence of a resident virus guard.

7.detection power

8. weight--- norton is weighty bt doesnt disturb ur sys from working if u have a larger ram

9. extra layered defense mechanism--ewido antivirus has dis. superior to norton andavg in this sense.the present best crop of anti-
trojans,&just recently bought by avg.it it detects polymorphic ,process injecting trojans.it murders trojans at will!

10.important heuristics and html modules--Kaspersky possesses this great asset
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by femiy2k(m): 11:14am On Sep 13, 2006
Norton sees nothing and its so overweight, Avast is great and totally free. always use a spyware remover like spy sweeper or Ad-aware. Windows firewall really doesnt do much, Zone alarm is one of d best around.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by saddik(m): 8:59am On Sep 14, 2006
Guy, combine PANDA ANTI VIRUS/SPYWARE, ADWARE SE PROFESSIONAL, AND MCAFEE 2006, they all upgrade automatically if u get the right registered ones,(holla me personally for details) and if anyvirus/spyware should attack , arrest me. garanteed.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by techie(m): 4:01am On Sep 15, 2006
I have been using AVG since 2002 and IMHO I think it is the best antivirus for winows. Off course most people using the free edition will run into problems of finding viruses and not being able to delete them (its a marketing strategy buy the full version and it will remove them).

On linux Clamav absolutely rocks. I think they are also coming out with windows version which is laso free and open source hvent ried it yet,
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by fisayo: 5:40pm On Sep 15, 2006
na wa o! i tink i mis viruses. i av bin using linux 4 sum tym now. you guys should nt make viruses sound bad: sum1 is misin themsmiley
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by hayprof(m): 6:45am On Sep 16, 2006
na wa o! i think i mis viruses. i av bin using linux 4 sum time now. you guys should nt make viruses sound bad: someone is misin themsmiley
LOL! grin
Jump To Windows And U will get them in abundance! wink
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by MOM1(m): 8:50pm On Sep 18, 2006
n.oxide

where can i get avast free download,having problems with Norton for now
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by hayprof(m): 10:48pm On Sep 18, 2006
@M.O.M: U can download Avast @ www.avast.com
ok?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by MOM1(m): 11:35am On Sep 19, 2006
Thanks man i will check it out
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Goshen360(m): 8:18pm On Sep 19, 2006
Hey,

I think Panda is still the best anti virus software and i guess AVg is doing well too. Though Panda will slow down ur system when functioning but u just have to update, use to scan and uninstall it after use. AVG actually deals with worms in most cases. These 2 antivirus softwares are still the best for internet viruses. check them out on google search, Thks
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by kleinbaas: 1:24pm On Apr 19, 2007
Try the Anti-Virus from www.discmaster.info, it comes with a professional Anti-Spyware and updates itself automatically (free for 1 year) and it scans in the background - using less resources than most!
If it finds a virus it brings up a hazard sign and a siren sounds - v cool :-)
I use it because it managed to install on my infected PC (when Norton and McAfee wouldn't) and it found the virus straight away plus it has kept my PC clean since. Get it at http://www.diskmaster.info/UK/software.htm or http://www.discmaster.info/USA/software.htm
Hope this helps!
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by knotty(m): 5:30pm On May 01, 2007
i use atiku222presz and it is working like naija.
try it out
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by bigrovar(m): 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2007
TELL U WHAT I AM IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING COMPUTER PROGRAM MES AND I MOST TELL U THAT HAVING TRIED NORTON,AVAST, AND MANY OF THE OTHER POPULAR ANTI VIRUS, I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE TWO BEST ANTI VIRUS OUT THERE ARE NOD32 AND KASPERSKY.BOTH ARE VERY LIGHT NOD IS ABOUT 11MB AT THE MOST.KASPERSKY ABOUT 22MB,BOTH ARE NOT PROCESSOR OR RAM INTENSIVE, HENCE THEY DONT SLOW YOUR STARTUP.AND IN TERM OF VIRUS THEIR BOTH RATED AT ABOUT 99% VIRUS DETECTION RATE . THEIR VERY GOOD, I WOULD RECOMMEND NOD32 FOR XP USER AND KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY FOR VISTA CUS NOD32 HAS KNOWN ISSUES WITH VISTA.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by nazzyon(m): 11:14pm On Jun 07, 2007
Me ahahah shocked shocked
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by KpopHam(m): 2:48am On Jun 08, 2007
Okay, first off SpyBot is no Anti-Virus; that's a spyware/malware removal tool/utility.

Second off: major league, you will find McAfee, Trend Micro & Symantec which makes Norton and then the rest, this is not to say there aren't good AV sources out there - my two kobo!

Microsoft just came into the AV vertical with 'Windows Live OneCare' which isn't bad either.

Oh and by the way another good malware removal utility is 'Hijack This', but you've got to be very careful when using it, always refer your scan results from 'Hijack This' utility scans to knowledgeable folk for analysis!

And to all my Windows® haters, where will Linux as an OS or a Kernel be without the advent of Microsoft and Mr. Gates, think about it!
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2007
nod32, (problem: up dating a pirated copy is a nightmare)
Kaspersky( piratable, as long as you update manually, detects virus like activity)
Norton(resource intensive. will only detect viruses within signatures)
Mcafee(resource intensive. will only detect viruses within signatures)
bit defender (resource intensive. )

i recommnd kaspersky.i've been using it for a month now. before that, i was using norton. my system is much faster now. i tried bit defender, which pc mag rated best of the year last year, but its scan module slowed my system (running at 50% CPU)

you have to configure kaspersky for manual updating, and ensure your firewall blocks it from the net. otherwise, you might find its license has been unvalidated
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Wilfem(m): 11:39pm On Jun 08, 2007
I uses Kaspersky Internet Security and it is arguably one of the best.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Jwhizzy(m): 10:21pm On Jun 09, 2007
I gues it al comes down to 3.Avast,nod32 and kaspersky.I dnt knw if its advisable to hav dem al.I've bin having spyware issues n my laptop is nt internet connected.So hw do i get a free spyware remover sw.I hear spybot is aite.Is it true?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by dinozzo(m): 10:32pm On Jun 09, 2007
I think Kapersky but now I use Windows live one care, too much wahala with kapersky, catches virus like no tomorrow.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by otoidea(m): 11:04pm On Jun 10, 2007
avg rocks! ez on the ram, its free, it does its job without fuss!
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by guysmat(m): 8:42am On Jun 14, 2007
I suggest you all try KASPERSKY antivirus (KAV for short) then you'll realise that no other virus killer comes close.
Download the version 6. Mail me for the license key if you're impressed with it. grin
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by merlin(m): 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2007
Hi guys, I love wot u all r doing on this Anti virus stuff. Pls could anyone tel me where to get the NOD32 antivirus software full version and probably antispyware if NOD32 has it too?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by 3dhunter(m): 3:40pm On Jun 14, 2007
@ Drusilla
tell me more. are you saying that AVG is not good and that it does not work well. can you give me a specific virus that it does not cure, cos i use AVG
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by debojyde(m): 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2007
I,ve got norton antivirus with windows anti spyware and windows defender on my laptop.But it recently started acting slow,i,m not that computer literate but i think it,s been infected by a virus.I,ve scanned and detected nothing.Can i download any of this free antivirus softwares named on this thread without uninstalling the norton antivirus on my computer.Which one can anybody recommend for me.

What about the option of reformating.What does that mean?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by guysmat(m): 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2007
[b]newbie[/b] debojyde  grin :

1.  Your system slowdown may not necessarily be due to a virus. Get someone to confirm that:
    a.  Your RAM is sufficient enough for the system you're using; else, add more RAM.
    b.  Your hard disk isn't loaded to the brim with unnecessary apps that you hardly ever use & that you still have space on the HDD.
    c.   Reduce the number of items that startup when your system boots. (Use Tuneup 2007 to do that).

2.  It could be cache folder relate or junk left over fromsites you've visited but their links have taken up recidency in your system  grin

3.  First of all, when last was your system defragmented? Get some1 to do that for you (no pay d person o, na free software inside ya system).

4.  I recommend you download CCLEANER (free) and TUNEUP 2007 (30 days trial  cry ) Their cleaning abilities are good.

5.  If there's no change and you feel its a virus, download REMOVEIT.
    Its a very very small ( <1.4MB) yet effective antivirus.
    It can detect what most heavy weight anti viruses won't detect and its free.
    It updates itself daily as soon as you get on the net.
    The only drawback is that u need to run it manually except if you can pay online for the pro version which run runs automatically.
    Its a good anti V for cleaning up after you've finished using your system for the day.

6.  As for the heavy weight antivirus, tryout the Kaspersky. You'll need to uninstall your Norton sha. (Kaspersky no dey share rent).
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by debojyde(m): 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2007
@ guysmart.Thanks.The reason why i think its a virus is because i just bought this laptop about a week ago,so i don.t think it should be a problem with this RAM stuff or defragmentation.It performed well on the first 4 days and this prob just started, The only thing i,ve done with it is browse the internet,but i,ve a cousin that chat,s all day on the laptop when i,m at work.That made me think "virus".

What do you think about the free scan with mcafee.I guess i can do that without removing norton.I have a free 90 day trial of norton and i don,t want to uninstall when i never get money buy another antivirus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Found Hp Service Centre / How Can I See My Girlfriend Whatsapp Chat Messages / Surf The Net Without Using Mtn Data Card/evdo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.