Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,075 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency (17099 Views)

Naira Drops To 251/dollar, External Reserves Now $29.7bn / Nigeria’s Gas Reserves To Last 79 Years – DPR / CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by AZeD1(m): 10:48am On Oct 21, 2013
CFCfan: Good move by the CBN. The only problem I see is a future crash of the Chinese currency itself.
Not a good move. The CBN should be buying Gold. The Chinese manipulate their currency seriously.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by 170chuks(m): 10:57am On Oct 21, 2013
kizito047: End tym tinz

Mod what r we going to do to this idiot .. undecided

Na wa. Ooº°˚ ˚°ºoo.

End tym tinz

BRB
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Memyselfu2009(m): 10:58am On Oct 21, 2013
Not a good idea I hope China economy don't experiment crises cos If it thus we re in soup dollar is generally acceptable world wide if the currency fall there will always be a bail out
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by truckin: 10:58am On Oct 21, 2013
The final chinadization of Nigeria... Now even our foreign reserve is substandard. Don't see myself driving a chinko suv anyway. Chinko economy. Short term fix.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by benjsniper33: 11:00am On Oct 21, 2013
cherriex: .
You are right I understood it better when I read the novel "confessions of the economic hit man" it says everytin abt how the american government enslave governments the modern way nd how they destroy thr ones who refuse their offers.

Broz pls what is the title of the novel?and how can I get it? What is their website?
Expecting ur reply

2 Likes

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by whitecat007: 11:00am On Oct 21, 2013
Ha! I am so happy now, Nigeria just got a new and improved communist slave master

Those who made this decision should be lined up and shot.

Is this how Nigeria will finally be buried? When the world is moving away from paper money to gold

2 Likes

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by mankand(m): 11:05am On Oct 21, 2013
Little by little, the clueless one is getting more sensible now.

If other African countries can do this, i believe the western countries will be going out of business
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Augustinaz(m): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2013
Na wah for America sha....
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by cap28: 11:12am On Oct 21, 2013
The handwriting is on the wall for the US dollar, it is now in its final death throes, no amount of printing of money by the Federal Reserve will save the US dollar from its imminent crash.

Nigeria is not the only country that is trying to dump the dollar, there are many other countries doing that behind the scenes and I can only imagine the level of panic going on now with the US govt.

This is definitely a good move by Nigeria and it indicates that many other country may already be doing the same thing.

For those who keep sayign that the crash of the US dollar will pull down the Remnimbi with it please be aware that China is currently trading with other far east asian countries, the EU , Australia and many african countries using its own currency , therefore its loss of the US market will not be as detrimental as many think,.

Many keep talking about how the Remnimbi is manipulated by the Chinese - so ? isnt the US dollar manipulated by the Federal Reserve? Why does the Federal Reserve keep printing money in order to assist the US govt in paying its bills - is it normal for a country that spends more than it earns to print money in order to pay its debts - is that not a form of currency manipulation and anyway the Chinese do not manipulate their currency they simply peg its exchange rate to the dollar in order to keept its exports cheap and affordable for its export market.
Which is worse? - printing your currency because you dont earn enough money thereby artificially inflating the value of your currency or keeping the true value of your currency low in order to increase exports of your products?

This situation was predicted about 2 years ago by many leading US economists and it is happening just the way they said it would.

Why should China and the rest of the world continue to trade with a country that purchases most of its imports on credit ? The US has been cheating the world and growing fat off the sweat of other countries of the world simply because the dollar is the world reserve currency and that is now going to be brought to an abrupt end.

The US is just going to have to learn to cut its coat according to its cloth, you cant keep buying things on credit and expect the world to keep you afloat, the US is simply not earning enough to keep up with its ridiculous spending sprees and now many of its creditors are finally coming to their senses and they are saying hey, enough is enough, if you dont earn enough then we are going to cancel your credit card until you learn to conduct your affairs like a responsible adult.

It will be interesting to see how the US reacts to Nigeria's move - i forsee extreme hostility on the part of the US govt.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Underground: 11:22am On Oct 21, 2013
cap28: The handwriting is on the wall for the US dollar, .....

You took the words right out of my mouth...Well said. Also watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by kliverpool(m): 11:25am On Oct 21, 2013
THE WORLD IS THINKING AND MAKING MOVE UNDERGROUND
WHY IS NIGERIA GOING TO BE THE ONE COMING OUT PUBLICLY ABOUT THIS.
ITS HASTY AND RECKLESS.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by cap28: 11:27am On Oct 21, 2013
Underground:

You took the words right out of my mouth...Well said. Also watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0

thanks bro, i'm watching it now.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 21, 2013
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by stagger: 11:39am On Oct 21, 2013
I laugh in Chinese. All central banks hold their foreign reserves in several currencies, and the CBN is no exception. The CBN probably only wants to increase the size of its RNB holdings and scale down its USD foreign reserves.

The topic of the thread is grossly misleading.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Tuntheycr7: 11:40am On Oct 21, 2013
kizito047: Wanna build

1 plot
2plots ☀̤̣̈̇f land
3plots

Still buyin

Ikeja land. Ȋ̝̊̅§ xpensive
Travellin by bus 2 V

N̶̲̥̅̊☺ cash

N̶̲̥̅̊☺ insult plz
Yes no insult bt you need to b flogged.
Perhapz Y dnt u take ya drugz dis mawni
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by greaterlove(m): 11:52am On Oct 21, 2013
kliverpool: THE WORLD IS THINKING AND MAKING MOVE UNDERGROUND
WHY IS NIGERIA GOING TO BE THE ONE COMING OUT PUBLICLY ABOUT THIS.
ITS HASTY AND RECKLESS.
I disagree with the underground moves. About 5yrs ago a deputy Chinese minister mentioned something Like this and we all know how that pronouncement affected the dollar. The global financial meltdown has taught many nations a lesson and the unseriousness of the US politicians by holding the whole world hostage is not helping issues. Brazil, China, Turkey and many growing economies are already thinking along this line.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Edoboy1(m): 11:55am On Oct 21, 2013
kizito047: Wanna build

1 plot

2plots ☀̤̣̈̇f land

What does it take to ban people like you I mean this is just too childish. Doesn't make any sence. I think its time age become a factor in this forum.

3plots

Still buyin

Ikeja land. Ȋ̝̊̅§ xpensive

Travellin by bus 2 VI

N̶̲̥̅̊☺ cash

N̶̲̥̅̊☺ insult plz
you are just too childish
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by chreldb(m): 11:59am On Oct 21, 2013
Wow i've learned something new today. I always thought the Chinese currency was the Yuan. I am Just hearing of renminbi for the first time. On a google search I found out that the Yuan is to the kobo what the is to the naira. Don't blame me i've never been to China.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 21, 2013
china want 2 use by all means to collect power from d us. gej make agreement with sence cos dis chinko pple can be dont lemme say it lemme c d outcome 1st
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by nijanigga: 12:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
CFCfan: Good move by the CBN. The only problem I see is a future crash of the Chinese currency itself.
If US dollar crashed, guaranteed, all other currencies will have no way out, than to crash. Americans are no stupid.Have you forgotten how the Asian tiger's economy crashed in the 90's? Moreover , China's economy is directly tied to US economy and China is Biggest Holders of US Gov't Debt. Actually, Nigerians should be more worried , since US is to be the largest exporter of crude oil by 2017,already US has cut by 40% oil imports from Nigeria and US will take over Saudi Arabia by 2017.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2463148/U-S-overtakeS-Saudi-Arabia-worlds-biggest-oil-producer-jump-output-shale.html
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by bookface: 12:54pm On Oct 21, 2013
cap28: The handwriting is on the wall for the US dollar, it is now in its final death throes, no amount of printing of money by the Federal Reserve will save the US dollar from its imminent crash.

Nigeria is not the only country that is trying to dump the dollar, there are many other countries doing that behind the scenes and I can only imagine the level of panic going on now with the US govt.

This is definitely a good move by Nigeria and it indicates that many other country may already be doing the same thing.

For those who keep sayign that the crash of the US dollar will pull down the Remnimbi with it please be aware that China is currently trading with other far east asian countries, the EU , Australia and many african countries using its own currency , therefore its loss of the US market will not be as detrimental as many think,.

Many keep talking about how the Remnimbi is manipulated by the Chinese - so ? isnt the US dollar manipulated by the Federal Reserve? Why does the Federal Reserve keep printing money in order to assist the US govt in paying its bills - is it normal for a country that spends more than it earns to print money in order to pay its debts - is that not a form of currency manipulation and anyway the Chinese do not manipulate their currency they simply peg its exchange rate to the dollar in order to keept its exports cheap and affordable for its export market.
Which is worse? - printing your currency because you dont earn enough money thereby artificially inflating the value of your currency or keeping the true value of your currency low in order to increase exports of your products?

This situation was predicted about 2 years ago by many leading US economists and it is happening just the way they said it would.

Why should China and the rest of the world continue to trade with a country that purchases most of its imports on credit ? The US has been cheating the world and growing fat off the sweat of other countries of the world simply because the dollar is the world reserve currency and that is now going to be brought to an abrupt end.

The US is just going to have to learn to cut its coat according to its cloth, you cant keep buying things on credit and expect the world to keep you afloat, the US is simply not earning enough to keep up with its ridiculous spending sprees and now many of its creditors are finally coming to their senses and they are saying hey, enough is enough, if you dont earn enough then we are going to cancel your credit card until you learn to conduct your affairs like a responsible adult.

It will be interesting to see how the US reacts to Nigeria's move - i forsee extreme hostility on the part of the US govt.

Between May and September this year, emerging markets stocks fell by close to 20%, do you know why? Because the US Federal reserve threatened to shut the printing press!! -

Brazil, Russia, and India all had a crash in their currencies - see charts below (for russia, india and brazil)! China didn't because it's pegged against the dollar, but the effect set back china's growth (see chart below for China). It's simple - if the US shuts the printing press, funds will flow out of Emerging Markets back into the dollars! In September when the fed promised to keep printing money, the emerging market currencies rallied again from their record lows.

Emerging Markets actually need the US to keep printing money, else the IMF forecasted that several emerging markets could fall straight off into recession - particularly for countries like Russia and India. - These countries depend on foreign fund flows to keep their economies strong.

Additionally, printing money does not really increase your debt. With a debt that huge, the US will never pay it back! It can only do two things - either default on it, or inflate it away. The US is never going to default (or so it's assumed) so it's eventually likely to inflate it all away.

Finally you should know that most of US debt is owed to the US government itself. The US Federal reserve holds roughly 16% - so effectively the Federal reserve lends money to the treasury and the treasury pays interest to the federal reserve.....

2 Likes

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
slap1: China? I hope the money will last.
hw e no go last? No cary badluck come here o wink
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
whoever is advising the nigerian treasury [foreign reserve] to convert usd to chinese rembi does not know how usa can sink china in just one huge financial operation, be it merely currency swap or trade as in projection. chinese and their currency cant be trusted. both lack proven records.

if nigeria needs currency other than usd, it should be the bps, a currency that is old enough as mother of usd and america will never go against britain, while it [bps] does hold steady not only against usd, but other currencies, including other valuables like gold, silver, etc.

maybe somebody in the financial organs of nigeria is working hard to ruin nigeria more than she is already. if we had not changed so early in the 70s from pound sterling to naira, we would have held a better financial strength throughout the 1980s. it would have been difficult for babangida to think of allowing the free fall of naira in circa 1985. there were just a few wrong moves including the looters like diko and others who passed the reserves from one account to another starting from mid 70s for the overnight interests. these and other few unregulated currency exchanges were what brought the collapse of the naira.

naira that was 1 to 2 usd in the 1970s is now 160 almost to 1 usd. each time i think about this, its difficult to imagine how it happened with all the brain power and the can do attitude that typified the nation.

somebody needs to stand up and force some of the rulers into unexpected retirement. if you are not for nigeria and her citizenry, leave and dont pretend you love both. go back to your former life. i wonder will they not consider indian rupees if chinese rembi is good enough since both are emerging economies? this is a horrible decision by those that are deciding to do it. no one wants chinese currency. no one that knows currency that is.

1 Like

Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
kizito047: End tym tinz

You are an agbero... Why waste the space LOL

Na wa. Ooº°˚ ˚°ºoo.

End tym tinz

BRB
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by porka: 2:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
omenka:

Leave that thing. Much as I don't understand your english, I would say the consequences of "pulling out" could be dire!

[s]Most african countries survive hugely on aids from the US and EU[/s] and understand they can't bite the finger that feeds them lest they starve to death.

In the distant future, this could be possible but given the ongoing dynamics we have in the continent, from corruption to socio political unrest, and bad leaderships, it would be nearly impossible to attain the kind of independence you are suggesting.

Nigeria does not survive and will never survive on US and EU aids.

They've partly been surviving on loots from Nigeria.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Ugosample(m): 2:30pm On Oct 21, 2013
Bad move! China is a known currency manipulator. Your foreign reserves will lose value. But if it's say 10% of your foreign reserves, it's okay. Afterall, the USA keeps foreign reserves of Pounds and Euros too.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by porka: 2:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
2ndOGA:

My thoughts exactly. The Remnibi has been allowed to float since 2005 (around a margin referenced from a basket of other currencies).

Every country manipulates its currency one way or another these days.

America has been printing billions of dollars every month for over two years now.

That's a form of currency manipulation.

Chinese currency management is opaque but dollar's is not better.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Ugosample(m): 2:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
stagger: I laugh in Chinese. All central banks hold their foreign reserves in several currencies, and the CBN is no exception. The CBN probably only wants to increase the size of its RNB holdings and scale down its USD foreign reserves.

The topic of the thread is grossly misleading.
Thank you.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by porka: 2:38pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ugosample: Bad move! China is a known currency manipulator. Your foreign reserves will lose value. But if it's say 10% of your foreign reserves, it's okay. Afterall, the USA keeps foreign reserves of Pounds and Euros too.

The article says it's not clear what percentage they are looking at.

Orji was headhunted from one of the best financial institutions in the world.

You can read his profile here.

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2012/09/meet-uche-orji-ceo-of-nigerias-sovereign-wealth-fund/

BTW, it's elementary finance to not keep one's eggs in a basket.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Ugosample(m): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2013
RoyPCain: whoever is advising the nigerian treasury [foreign reserve] to convert usd to chinese rembi does not know how usa can sink china in just one huge financial operation, be it merely currency swap or trade as in projection. chinese and their currency cant be trusted. both lack proven records.

if nigeria needs currency other than usd, it should be the bps, a currency that is old enough as mother of usd and america will never go against britain, while it [bps] does hold steady not only against usd, but other currencies, including other valuables like gold, silver, etc.

maybe somebody in the financial organs of nigeria is working hard to ruin nigeria more than she is already. if we had not changed so early in the 70s from pound sterling to naira, we would have held a better financial strength throughout the 1980s. it would have been difficult for babangida to think of allowing the free fall of naira in circa 1985. there were just a few wrong moves including the looters like diko and others who passed the reserves from one account to another starting from mid 70s for the overnight interests. these and other few unregulated currency exchanges were what brought the collapse of the naira.

naira that was 1 to 2 usd in the 1970s is now 160 almost to 1 usd. each time i think about this, its difficult to imagine how it happened with all the brain power and the can do attitude that typified the nation.

somebody needs to stand up and force some of the rulers into unexpected retirement. if you are not for nigeria and her citizenry, leave and dont pretend you love both. go back to your former life. i wonder will they not consider indian rupees if chinese rembi is good enough since both are emerging economies? this is a horrible decision by those that are deciding to do it. no one wants chinese currency. no one that knows currency that is.
True talk. If the USA tags China officially as currency manipulators, their advantage is gone, and that would mean serious trouble for Chinese goods coming to the US.
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
I can't agree more. You're an economist my friend. What happened to gold? Hold our foreign reserve in gold instead of the manipulative Chinese Yen.

ochukoccna: The Americans are the one's digging the greenback's grave with their endless political squabbling
I'd have said good move by the CBN but anyone with a little economic knowledge knows the Chinese heavily manipulate their currency
Because of the economic troubles of Europe, the Euro is a no no
Can't we hold some of our reserves in gold, silver and other precious metals undecided undecided

Yes,China is becoming a heavy hiter but can they dominate like America has this century? undecided undecided
Militarily they still lag behind Russia in spending and resources
Economically, do they have/can they match the finance America has spent over the years globally?
Recall also that their economy and economics still has heavy goverment control and manipulation
Like I said, they are a heavy hitter but can they dominate like America has done so far? undecided undecided
Re: FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency by porka: 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
ochukoccna: The Americans are the one's digging the greenback's grave with their endless political squabbling
I'd have said good move by the CBN but anyone with a little economic knowledge knows the Chinese heavily manipulate their currency
Because of the economic troubles of Europe, the Euro is a no no
Can't we hold some of our reserves in gold, silver and other precious metals undecided undecided

Yes,China is becoming a heavy hiter but can they dominate like America has this century? undecided undecided
Militarily they still lag behind Russia in spending and resources
Economically, do they have/can they match the finance America has spent over the years globally?
Recall also that their economy and economics still has heavy goverment control and manipulation
Like I said, they are a heavy hitter but can they dominate like America has done so far? undecided undecided

The dollar is gone.

What they are doing right now is to manage the requiem so as to prevent catastrophic loss to the US bond holders

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703313304576132170181013248

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-17/canadian-billionaire-predicts-end-dollar-reserve-currency-warns-its-likely-get-ugly

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/rba-invest-chinese-yuan-062511606.html

If Nigeria is not strategic, people will question the skills of our economic managers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Profitable Businesses A Student Can Venture Into On Campus / Types Of People You Will Meet At Bank Doors. / Femi Otedola, Dangote And Donald Duke Pictured At An Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.