Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,348 members, 7,839,616 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: (15502 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
[quote author=Obinoscopy]

@Aliciakeys: "Raising taxes in Nigeria during a time of economic meltdown would be damaging and counter-productive." Please can you elaborate more on this Aliciakeys? Thanks quote]
According to the potential result of the Laffer curve, it postulates that that increasing tax rates beyond a certain point will be counter-productive for raising further tax revenue. In a country like Nigeria, increasing the tax rate means more work should be done to generate the revenue, it gets to a point where an individual works and breaks down, meaning payment of hospital bills, and hence toll in the same economy, that can be damaging.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Caracta(f): 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Mazi, you seem to feel that the problem of Nigeria lies in her leaders. If we change our leaders to the better ones YOU (Mazi) vote for, would you support free education at the tertiary level?

More like, "Give us good leaders and there will be free education"?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Mazi.. Oh yes.. There is a blueprint. Contact Amanze Okwuchi, a banking expert on facebook. I couldn't publish her work here on her demands for copyright reasons, but I was allowed to give referrals. She has a blueprint. Go verify and extract it.
@CARACTA.. Parents take their kids to outings. Parents encourage their kids to socialize. It's a common sight on campus to see parties. Have you ever attended a party with nothing in your pockets? I have. Countless times
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
Caracta: @aliciakeys, don't you think educational sector is more important than capital-intensive projects? Who will carry out these projects? Illiterates? Don't you think free education at the tertiary level will empower engineers, scientists, etc. to work out plans and projects that would improve our economy?
Bills Gates did not get the all-classy education in a tertiary school, yet he is amongst the world's richest, educating and funding tuition. Never said education is not important, but why bother when the funds are not there, when there are vocational centers where one learns to be professionals, even better than those that attended tertiary institutions. Watching "young professionals" on ThePrime tv channel, you will hear about stories of young people that have made it without tertiary education. If one wants the degree, one has to work for it and still become the engineers, scientists, etc. that will work out plans and projects that will improve our economy.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
I guess our viewers/audience are fully set to post their question. In the next 10mins window will be open for that....
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
Bills Gates did not get the all-classy education in a tertiary school, yet he is amongst the world's richest, educating and funding tuition.
Easy on that. Bill Gates is just one person with his success. How does he begin to replace the number of Nigerians that can be here now due to financially-induced discrimination. It doesn't look like they're turning Bill Gates overnight.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 3:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Caracta: @Mazi, you seem to feel that the problem of Nigeria lies in her leaders. If we change our leaders to the better ones YOU (Mazi) vote for, would you support free education at the tertiary level?

More like, "Give us good leaders and there will be free education"?

Yes, ma! The leaders are our undoing! They can't be trusted to implement such schemes and fund it sincerely.

@bolded; more like, give us good leaders that can implement my recommendation of subsidized education with grants and loans. No government, no matter how good should award free tertiary education for other negative factors such as crowd mentality and reduction in quality of education offered.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
Will place my claim on one of my favorite quotes, "if you know education is expensive, try ignorance" Like I said earlier, those who know the importance, go for it and they come out to be world professionals. Citing Doctor Ben Carson as a case study, his mother had to work three to four part-time jobs just to see him and his siblings through school and that spurned him to be what he is today, that is what we should be looking at and not making people lazy around, pitying their situation, all in the hope of getting free tertiary education.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 3:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
For those against free education in Nigeria, looking at the hike in tution fee in our fedral universities and considering the level of poverty with a mind open to the fact that our dear country cannot develop without qualitative education, then how many Nigerians can avoid tertiary education?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Viewers/audience may now throw questions to the debaters.
Pls specify who the question is directed at.
Only 4 questions will be entertained based on 'fastest hand' principle.
A debater can respond to the question immediately the question is visible.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Davo93(m): 3:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Deschyko; Great article. You made mention of Canada committing 7% of her budget to education and things are working fine, so you now suggested same for Nigeria. Now my question is this; Do you realize Nigeria allocates about 9% of her annual budget to education at the moment and things are not going in the right direction still? Not even forgetting the fact that tertiary education is still been paid for. Don't you think it will be a suicide mission if the government embarks on a free education policy when the paid one is not even working well?

@Aliciakeys; Wonderful write-up i must confess. However, you failed to say something about those that won't be able to afford paid tertiary education. Is ignorance the only option we have like you suggested?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Easy on that. Bill Gates is just one person with his success. How does he begin to replace the number of Nigerians that can be here now due to financially-induced discrimination. It doesn't look like they're turning Bill Gates overnight.
That is what people will always say, point out a successful person and they ask for more, instead of having deep thoughts about the whole scenario surrounding the person success. You ask for more, have you not heard about Sir Thomas's story of how he made it to the top? Will you still ask for more names?
You sit down there and scream about financially-induced discrimination when people who know the value are out there making it. You speak on the behalf of people who are having foresights on how to make it. Should a census and storyline be conducted in tertiary institutions before you know that not all students are from the extremely rich families?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 3:27pm On Oct 26, 2013
Also for those against free education in Nigeria, I am a student and my parent dont struggle too hard to pay my tuition fee but that does not mean I am the one bearing the burden of my education. Those against free education look at the word 'free' as if I will only enroll as a student and do nothing. As a student in Nigeria I still spend hours late in the night studying and do my assignments. So free education is not without any input, let us get right the meaning of the word 'free' in this context
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 3:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay: For those against free education in Nigeria, looking at the hike in tution fee in our fedral universities and considering the level of poverty with a mind open to the fact that our dear country cannot develop without qualitative education, then how many Nigerians can avoid tertiary education?

This is where my strong recommendation of scholarships, grants and loans comes into play. Bright students from poor background can get scholarships which can help them achieve their dream.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2013
Davo93:
[b]@Aliciakeys;
Wonderful write-up i must confess. However, you failed to say something about those that won't be able to afford paid tertiary education. Is ignorance the only option we have like you suggested?
Never say never. With will-power, hard work and focus, there is nothing like CAN NOT, sorry to say, but that is what Nigerians fail to understand. It has being deposited in us to do all things.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Judges,
I hope you are almost through with your preliminary ratings now. After the debaters are through with answering final questions we would declare the debate closed, pls send your scores immediately to fynestboi@ yahoo.com.

I will collate and announce results here immediately all the judges' results come in
While that is on, let debaters continue to answer questions directed at them. We would blow the final whistle soon.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: more like, give us good leaders that can implement my recommendation of subsidized education with grants and loans.
Hello.. Doing that landed the US Government in trillions of dollars debt..
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Caracta(f): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Yes, ma! The leaders are our undoing! They can't be trusted to implement such schemes and fund it sincerely.

@bolded; more like, give us good leaders that can implement my recommendation of subsidized education with grants and loans. No government, no matter how good should award free tertiary education for other negative factors such as crowd mentality and reduction in quality of education offered.

That means your recommendation cannot work too until we have good leaders. Is that your point? A null and void recommendation until leadership baton changes hand?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay: Also for those against free education in Nigeria, I am a student and my parent dont struggle too hard to pay my tuition fee but that does not mean I am the one bearing the burden of my education. Those against free education look at the word 'free' as if I will only enroll as a student and do nothing. As a student in Nigeria I still spend hours late in the night studying and do my assignments. So free education is not without any input, let us get right the meaning of the word 'free' in this context
That is where the term "free" is not understood to its' fullness, free tertiary education should mean free tuition fees, accommodation, feeding and monthly stipends. Facing facts, one in such comfort zone, tends to relax to the extent that he or she may even fail to realize a drop in grades.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2013
Fynestboi: Viewers/audience may now throw questions to the debaters.
Pls specify who the question is directed at.
Only 4 questions will be entertained based on 'fastest hand' principle.
A debater can respond to the question immediately the question is visible.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Davo93(m): 3:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
Never say never. With will-power, hard work and focus, there is nothing like CAN NOT, sorry to say, but that is what Nigerians fail to understand. It has being deposited in us to do all things.
So are you saying that poor Nigerians that have not been able to send their wards to tertiarry institution due to the fees status are not hardworking, focused and will-powered?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Hello.. Doing that landed the US Government in trillions of dollars debt..
Like you claimed, subsidized education landed US Government in trillions of dollars of debt, imagine what will happen to Nigeria Government if they should implement FREE TERTIARY EDUCATION because from my calculations, free tertiary education will cost an estimated sum of ten trillion naira just for a semester, won't that land Nigeria in a much bigger debt?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 3:40pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

This is where my strong recommendation of scholarships, grants and loans comes into play. Bright students from poor background can get scholarships which can help them achieve their dream.

How feasible are your recommendations in a country like this well known for corruption also how many indigent students can benefit from this? The scope is your recommendations is very much limited

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:

You sit down there and scream about financially-induced discrimination when people who know the value are out there making it.

I'll give you an instance of what happened at Anambra State University two years ago.. The school fees for oldies was hiked from N33,000 to N85,000. As a result, over 1/3 of the students stopped and sought admission elsewhere, of course with varying discouraging degrees of success. If you were one of them, describe your feeling and what action you would love. Are they all financially unwise like you claimed?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Davo93: So are you saying that poor Nigerians that have not been able to send their wards to tertiarry institution due to the fees status are not hardworking, focused and will-powered?
Being hardworking, focused and will-powered will surely get you a scholarship. Being hardworking will get you jobs. being focused will enhance progressive thinking. Being will-powered will see you through the storms

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DrABCD: 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
I red through the argument but hv not seen any example of free tertiary education here in nigeria....its not like we dnt hv one, one typical example is the residency program for doctors here in nigeria and other parts of the world, I wnt the contestant to look into such an example of free education to see if it buttresses their points ....thnk u!

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
Like you claimed, subsidized education landed US Government in trillions of dollars of debt, imagine what will happen to Nigeria Government if they should implement FREE TERTIARY EDUCATION because from my calculations, free tertiary education will cost an estimated sum of ten trillion naira just for a semester, won't that land Nigeria in a much bigger debt?
The US Government gave out, expecting back and they lost because the cash never came back. If the weren't expecting anything, giving freely, would there be any talks of losses from unpaid loans?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi and samtolly not responding to any of the question. The debate is not close yet
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 3:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

I'll give you an instance of what happened at Anambra State University two years ago.. The school fees for oldies was hiked from N33,000 to N85,000. As a result, over 1/3 of the students stopped and sought admission elsewhere, of course with varying discouraging degrees of success. If you were one of them, describe your feeling and what action you would love. Are they all financially unwise like you claimed?
You said it yourself, they sought admission elsewhere, they surely do know the value of education so that act did not deter them from seeking what they so much want.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Richiez(m): 3:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
wild debaters....i'm loving this! though the judges have the final say.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 3:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay:

How feasible are your recommendations in a country like this well known for corruption also how many indigent students can benefit from this? The scope is your recommendations is very much limited

This same issue of corruption is among the reasons why government should not be allowed to offer free tertiary education because they will definitely turn our schools into ghost-towns and the degree into tissue paper.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
Dr.ABCD:
example of free tertiary education here in nigeria....its not like we dnt hv one, one typical example is the residency program for doctors here in nigeria and other parts of the world
Thank you.. I'm looking forward to my opponents telling me how this negatively impacts medicine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Professional Course For Arts Student. / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike / When Will 2011 Waec Result Comes Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.