Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,336 members, 7,839,599 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: (15500 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Walexz02(m): 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Aliciakeys, please do you think other debaters agree with your own meaning of the term “FREE“
As a viewer i don‘t think all the debaters agree on a mening for the term free here...
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2013
Dr.ABCD:
I red through the argument but hv not seen any example of free tertiary education here in nigeria....its not like we dnt hv one, one typical example is the residency program for doctors here in nigeria and other parts of the world, I wnt the contestant to look into such an example of free education to see if it buttresses their points ....thnk u!

Doctors medial residency program is not free per say. The medical practitioner works for the hospital and in so doing, pays part of his tuition from his labor. Sometimes, a parent hospital has to sponsor the medical doctor for the program.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
That is where the term "free" is not understood to its' fullness, free tertiary education should mean free tuition fees, accommodation, feeding and monthly stipends. Facing facts, one in such comfort zone, tends to relax to the extent that he or she may even fail to realize a drop in grades.

This is defintely far from the truth, for the fact that my parents are not the one bearing the burden of my education that does mean students will be indolent. We all know that students struggle to excel academically no matter who is bearing the burden of their education.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Oluwatola5(f): 3:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Deschyko and Samtolly, nice writeups and more power to your elbow. But i want to ask this, following the kind of economy system we operate in Nigeria which is the Mixed Economy System, do you think it is advisable to make education at tertiary level free? Does that not place us at the mercy of the government? And what is the assurance that such free education will be a standard one? Let us take the government-owned and funded primary and secondary schools for an example, are they in their best of shape? Please enlighten us more on this.

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Davo93(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
Being hardworking, focused and will-powered will surely get you a scholarship. Being hardworking will get you jobs. being focused will enhance progressive thinking. Being will-powered will see you through the storms
Very persuassive. But do you know that MOST scholarship programmes available today are always meant for exceptional brillant students? How about the average students? And the ones given by governments are nothing to write home about as they are bedevilled by irregularities and corruption.

Also about getting job, how manage do you think it will be easy for an hardworking medical student to cope with cutting grasses in order to make ends meet?

@Deschyko, an unanswered question is up there for you cheesy
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
Fynestboi: Judges,
I hope you are almost through with your preliminary ratings now. After the debaters are through with answering final questions we would declare the debate closed, pls send your scores immediately to fynestboi@ yahoo.com.

I will collate and announce results here immediately all the judges' results come in
While that is on, let debaters continue to answer questions directed at them. We would blow the final whistle soon.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
You said it yourself, they sought admission elsewhere, they surely do know the value of education so that act did not deter them from seeking what they so much want.
So the price hike is justified, as well as the termination of their studies. You never spoke about your feelings if you were in their shoes.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay:

This is defintely far from the truth, for the fact that my parents are not the one bearing the burden of my education that does mean students will be indolent. We all know that students struggle to excel academically no matter who is bearing the burden of their education.

Students are currently striving because education is not free. Make it free and you will witness the crowd mentality I am talking about. I bet you, OMATA boys will close shop to go and acquire degrees.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by UjSizzle(f): 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
Des•chykos
You said ".....without proper education, individuals can never be duly effective citizens..."

Pls throw more light on this.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
twenty minutes more..... Debaters starts rounding up.....
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay:

"speaking for self" is important here. The[b] STUDENTS[/b] you made mention of, is the majority not those turning into cultists, aristos, sorters and runners? It is like this even when the burden is on parents, the ones we love so much, how then will it be if it is on the government?
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Students are currently striving because education is not free. Make it free and you will witness the crowd mentality I am talking about. I bet you, OMATA boys will close shop to go and acquire degrees.
You are looking at free education as the same with free degree. I believe every student STUDY HARD to excel academically. The example you gave is jejune-like and not possible. In free education, government may pay for the tution but government cant remove studying hard to progress in school. Free education is presenting education as free for all it is not the same as 'degree is free for all' as you claimed
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 4:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
I'll attend to your questions when I'm home please.. Been occupied for three hours now
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Aliciakeys(f): 4:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

So the price hike is justified, as well as the termination of their studies. You never spoke about your feelings if you were in their shoes.
Permit me to ask, which would you prefer, quality education or quantity education?
In as much as the increase is not justified, they government had to do what they did for the betterment of the education, just as the ongoing Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) strike is not applauded, the union is doing that for the betterment of the same education sector.
As for my feelings, I will feel bad but thoughts should also be put into reasons for their actions. Like the students did, if I can not pay for it, I opt for another institution.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
Debaters should start rounding up....
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
Please dont take 'free education' to be the same as 'free degree'.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DrABCD: 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Doctors medial residency program is not free per say. The medical practitioner works for the hospital and in so doing, pays part of his tuition from his labor. Sometimes, a parent hospital has to sponsor the medical doctor for the program.
in some teaching hospitals once a dr is not able to complete the program within the fix duration he or she is asked to leave..dis is bcs the hspital cannt afford to pay fr drs program no mata hw hard workin dt dr is..sm of the residents earn higher thn thr counter parts @ general hspitals..................

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by boay(m): 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
boay:
You are looking at free education as the same with free degree. I believe every student STUDY HARD to excel academically. The example you gave is jejune-like and not possible. In free education, government may pay for the tution but government cant remove studying hard to progress in school. Free education is presenting education as free for all it is not the same as 'degree is free for all' as you claimed
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
Obinoscopy: s.

@Samtolly4Jesus: I want you to explain why Free Education will better suite a corrupt ridden government like ours than Subsidized Education. Thanks.

When it is free, its free. No hidden charges. No terms, No condition.

Making use of subsidiary in Nigeria will still aggravate the fees on the long run. Our So called subsidized federal Univesities are gradually increasing their fees..... If this trend should continue, education will be for a few rich alone.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Aliciakeys:
This is informal education, you won't tell me that you need to be taught how to switch on a bulb, drive a car or operate appliances from an institution of formal learning. No, you can make use of social amenities without necessarily seeing the four walls of an institution.

Let's go practical.........

Visit the slums in Mushin and compare the scenario with the elitist environment in ikoyi and you'll agree with me that Formal education goes along with in maintaining our social amenities
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by mckorode(m): 4:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
Although I haven't read all posts thoroughly, I believe university(not necessarily tertiary ) education is too cheap in Nigeria.coincidentally I discussed this with my dad today and he agreed that it's too cheap(btw, I'm not OBO).immediately we finished talking,BBC news anchor said in his opening statement for a program that tertiary education is expensive everywhere.
People think Nigeria is rich.the sad truth is we are Oil producing but we aren't oil rich.arabian countries have more oil and less population so we are broke.forget corruption.
Tertiary education isn't cheap anywhere so Nigerians are just selfish.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by MaziOmenuko: 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
Dr.ABCD:
in some teaching hospitals once a dr is not able to complete the program within the fix duration he or she is asked to leave..dis is bcs the hspital cannt afford to pay fr drs program no mata hw hard workin dt dr is..sm of the residents earn higher thn thr counter parts @ general hspitals..................

The bone of contention is if its free or not? It is being payed for by the hospital, so its not free.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
Caracta: Samtolly4JESUS, with free education to tertiary students, how do you intend to encourage independence and hardwork? With free education in all levels of education, how do you hope to sustain the economy and the enterpreneurial spirit of these students when they get out there?

How do you make them understand that "nothing good comes easy" when you spoil them with freebies from primary level of education to teritiary level?

There are various way of entrenching hardwork and discipline in our students without having them face the harshness of fending for themselves.

Academic standards can be raised in our school to discourage laziness and exuberances.

That's why I said schools should be for those that are hardworking and motivated enough to attend......... Not for the rich who might even be clever enough...
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by DesChyko1(m): 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
Logs In.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, the debate is hereby officially declared closed.

Only 3 judges have sent their reports.
We still await scores from other judges.

Pls send to fynestboi@ yahoo.com.

Thread closed till we have full results. Next post is results. Pls stay tuned. Meanwhile, discussions may continue in planning thread.

PLANNING THREAD
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
RESULT LOADING
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2013
STAY TUNE DONT GO ANYWHERE....
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
JUDGE 1 RESULTS..

In the order: Presentation, Logic, Strength, Persuasiveness and Demonstration of knowledge.
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:46pm On Oct 26, 2013
JUDGE 1 RESULT

DESCHYKO

Presentation 3
Logic4
Strength 3
Persuasiveness 4
Knowledge 4

Total = 18
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:48pm On Oct 26, 2013
JUDGE 1 RESULT

Aliciakeys:

Presentation 4
Logic4
Strength 4
Persuasiveness 4
Knowledge 4

TOTAL= 20
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
JUDGE 1 RESULT

Mazi Omenuko
Presentation 4
Logic4
Strength 2
Persuasiveness 4
Knowledge 4

TOTAL= 18
Re: Nairaland Educational Debate: Winner :::ALICIAKEYS::::: by Fynestboi: 4:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
JUDGE 1 RESULT

Samtolly4JESUS:
Presentation 3
Logic 3
Strength 3
Persuasiveness 3
Knowledge 4

TOTAL= 16

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Professional Course For Arts Student. / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike / When Will 2011 Waec Result Comes Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.