Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,538 members, 7,823,351 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Somali Proverbs - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somali Proverbs (11933 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / The Somali/ethiopian People / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 8:47pm On Oct 24, 2013
Fulaman198:

What are you even talking about Ayanle, most westerners have never heard of the terminology Bantu. This terminology originated in within the Bantu speaking populice and is known mainly amongst Africans.

it was western aid agencies the coined the term 'somali bantu', as bantu is a language group and somali is an ethnic group but they used the term to describe the bantus in somalia.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 24, 2013
axum:

the word bantu is used by westerners to describe them, but in somalia they are referred to as jareer, your from djibouti, how would you know?

The Bantu in South Somalia have always use the word Bantu to describe themselves, and it was also the widely used term among Somalis in reference to them, not Jareer like you wish to believe.

The word Bantu is not an insult, but the word for "people" and a remnant of their own language before they adopted the Somali language ( only for most part, some Somali Bantu can still speak in their original language to vairous degrees).

No, there aren't any Bantus in Djibouti but what does that have to do with anything? I've met some out here.

1 Like

Re: Somali Proverbs by Ajuran: 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
Where did the word jareer come from? LMAO
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
Ajuran: Where did the word jareer come from? LMAO

The word jareer is a SOMALI word just like it's opposite Jilaac. It didn't "come" from anywhere. It was in use long before Bantus were in Somalia as a descriptive term.

You think the word just proofed into being due to Bantus? So, are there Jilaac people in Somalia too? Notice your reasoning?
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 24, 2013
You've been in the West for far too long? Go to Djibouti or Somaliland, you can learn the finer points of the language. grin
Re: Somali Proverbs by Ajuran: 3:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
EnlightenedSoul: You've been in the West for far too long? Go to Djibouti or Somaliland, you can learn the finer points of the language. grin

Funny cause somalilland, punt land, djibouti all don't have Bantus lmao, only the very south around kismayo and mogadishu have some bantus. Many have been returned to their homeland where they came from before being taken as slaves. Which am glad as I know they will always face discrimination in Somalia.
Re: Somali Proverbs by somal: 5:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
somal was here
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 5:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
somal: somal was here

You can go back to Ajuran now
Re: Somali Proverbs by somal: 7:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
Fulaman198:

You can go back to Ajuran now

why? did you unbann me? the spambot is banning me for no reason. I haven't used the 'N' wording like years. cheesy

Thank you: You are my son Fulam, never forget this.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Garaad: 10:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
axum:

Bro what is Sick is the Somali cultures denigration of the bantus. And I apologize on their behalf. I didn't make that up, the words used to describe bantus are very mean just go on any Somali thread.

Doesn't Somali culture also denigrate other Somali tribes? Your acting like Somalis are hateful only toward other Africans as if its some unique feature. Somali culture by in large involves denigration of everyone and everything except Islam and the Prophet Muhammad. Other than that everyone is fair game.

Somalis denigrate other ethnic Somalis like the Midgaan. Somalis denigrate the Habesha (aka Ethiopians). Somalis denigrate the Arabs (daag caas). Etc.

Somali culture is moronic on many fronts. Not just racism against other Africans. But tribalism and xenophobia. The worst insults go not at the Bantu or Habesha but other Somali tribes. As Darood, I hear more insults hurled at the Hawiye and Isaaq than any Bantu/adoon in my life.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Ajuran: 7:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Garaad:

Doesn't Somali culture also denigrate other Somali tribes? Your acting like Somalis are hateful only toward other Africans as if its some unique feature. Somali culture by in large involves denigration of everyone and everything except Islam and the Prophet Muhammad. Other than that everyone is fair game.

Somalis denigrate other ethnic Somalis like the Midgaan. Somalis denigrate the Habesha (aka Ethiopians). Somalis denigrate the Arabs (daag caas). Etc.

Somali culture is moronic on many fronts. Not just racism against other Africans. But tribalism and xenophobia. The worst insults go not at the Bantu or Habesha but other Somali tribes. As Darood, I hear more insults hurled at the Hawiye and Isaaq than any Bantu/adoon in my life.

Somali tribes are 4. The only tribe that is looked down upon are midgan, and they are less than 1percent. Even then they cannot be distinguished by any other somalis, and they were never slaves.

Stop trolling me, your an obvious afrocentric trying to make ties to somalis. how sad.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ajuran:

Somali tribes are 4. The only tribe that is looked down upon are midgan, and they are less than 1percent. Even then they cannot be distinguished by any other somalis, and they were never slaves.

Stop trolling me, your an obvious afrocentric trying to make ties to somalis. how sad.

How is he able to speak Somali?
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 7:24pm On Oct 26, 2013
Fulaman198:

How is he able to speak Somali?

Dude this guy is a bantu from somalia, as all the stuff he says are so false, bantus hate when somalis tell them they are not ethnic somalis. Havent u seen alll the comments from somalinet and how they hate bantus?
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 8:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
axum:

Dude this guy is a bantu from somalia, as all the stuff he says are so false, bantus hate when somalis tell them they are not ethnic somalis. Havent u seen alll the comments from somalinet and how they hate bantus?

I don't go to Somalinet smiley
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 8:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
Fulaman198:

I don't go to Somalinet smiley

racist
Re: Somali Proverbs by Garaad: 8:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
axum:

You wish. At least let me know what tribe you are? And where do you live?

I'm gonna guess you are Isaaq and live in Kenya or Uganda. I guessed Isaaq because you guys are the least loyal to Somalinimo and the most racist among Somali tribes. And I'm gonna guess you live in either Kenya/Uganda where you get picked on by Bantu kids so you use the internet to vent.

I'm just a Somali who luckily didn't grow up around other Somalis, so I'm immune from the ignorance that comes from people like you. I got no reason to troll a Nigerian website to make myself feel better.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Ajuran: 12:23am On Oct 29, 2013
Garaad:

You wish. At least let me know what tribe you are? And where do you live?

I'm gonna guess you are Isaaq and live in Kenya or Uganda. I guessed Isaaq because you guys are the least loyal to Somalinimo and the most racist among Somali tribes. And I'm gonna guess you live in either Kenya/Uganda where you get picked on by Bantu kids so you use the internet to vent.

I'm just a Somali who luckily didn't grow up around other Somalis, so I'm immune from the ignorance that comes from people like you. I got no reason to troll a Nigerian website to make myself feel better.

@ the bold: exactly my point, no sit down. And let a Real Somali talk around here.
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:47am On Sep 14, 2014
Lol
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:08am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Lol

My black child cheesy
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:25am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

My black child cheesy
I'm not black
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:27am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
I'm not black

same thing as Bantu hushhhhhhh
grin
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:28am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

same thing as Bantu hushhhhhhh
grin

I'm Bantu and proud cool
Stinking and starving mongrel

Anyway tomorrow is another day , we shall meet again ....
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:30am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

I'm Bantu and proud cool
Stinking and starving mongrel

Anyway tomorrow is another day , we shall meet again ....

How can you be proud of being Bantu. Its a slur in my language. What makes me a mongrel? lmao
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:32am On Sep 14, 2014
I will tell u tomorrow
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:32am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: I will tell u tomorrow

hopefully you will, if the Ebola doesnt get to you first.
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:34am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

hopefully you will, if the Ebola doesnt get to you first.
Thats ifmyou don't die from hunger first
There is no Ebola where I'm from
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:35am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Thats ifmyou don't die from hunger first
There is no Ebola where I'm from

Where ever Bantus eat Monkeys there is a new disease waiting to spring out.
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:40am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

Where ever Bantus eat Monkeys there is a new disease waiting to spring out.

Don't worry we will send you your ration of food , since feeding yoursefl is such a Herculean task
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:41am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Don't worry we will send you your ration of food , since feeding yoursefl is such a Herculean task

One famine in one area of Somalia, because of no central government, and you are harping about famine.

You guys are eating dead monkey carcasses like it is some type of delicacy.
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:49am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

One famine in one area of Somalia, because of no central government, and you are harping about famine.

You guys are eating dead monkey carcasses like it is some type of delicacy.

Who are u guys?
i told u already stop eating khat, too bad that's the only umskeletons can grow
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 4:52am On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Who are u guys?
i told u already stop eating khat, too bad that's the only umskeletons can grow

We are Somali, and just cause we don't look like Negroids doesnt mean we are Mongrels. 100 million people in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia cannot be Mongrels. There are Ethiopians who are Christians who have never seen Arabs who speak Semetic language who look just like the Somalis in the closest areas of Somalia to the middle east and who are Muslim.

We controlled yemen not the other way around.
Re: Somali Proverbs by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:01am On Sep 14, 2014
axum:

We are Somali, and just cause we don't look like Negroids doesnt mean we are Mongrels. 100 million people in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia cannot be Mongrels. There are Ethiopians who are Christians who have never seen Arabs who speak Semetic language who look just like the Somalis in the closest areas of Somalia to the middle east and who are Muslim.

We controlled yemen not the other way around.
Somalis are not 100millions thats first of voice
Somalis are in ethiopia as a minority and they never controlled anything

Axum controlled Yemen and Axum is Ethiopian ESP Amhara+oromo no single Somalis dynasty sat on Axum throne stop leeching on Ethiopia they hate u guys to the bone ,the battle of Ogaden illustrates that Ethiopian see u guys as vandals and bandas

Ethiopians like the ones with plates on their lips? Right , btw i don't know how Somalis look like and don't want to know, your look is the last of my concern, stop mentioning my people that's all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Man Cannot Claim A Child If He Did Not Marry The Mother (igbos Only) / The Origin Of Igbanke People In Edo State / Is Abuja a northern state?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.