Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair (22020 Views)

Nigerian Drug Dealer Arrested In Thailand After A Hot Chase By The Police(pics) / Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / Herbalist Uses Women’s Pants, Bras For Rituals Nabbed (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by infonubia(m): 7:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
Kano Police Force have begun to strictly enforce Islamic law. Last week, over 150 people were arrested for indecent dressing. Some people in Nigeria's second city were picked up "sagging their pants too low," or "sporting hair styles inspired by prominent international football players," a spokesman for Kano's Sharia Police, Mohammed Yusuf Yola, noted to the Associated Press.

This strict enforcement of the Sharia law is a part of the government's discipline method and curbing immorality. Other civilians were jailed and fined for sagging their pants too low; the law sees this act as an influence of some American hip hop artists, which is unacceptable.

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, Kano state Governor gave this 'anti-crime' order to the police department, in his effort to purge the city of immoral acts and practices. The Sharia Police (Hisbah) Director, General Abba Sufi noted that this patrol or order will continue in the weeks ahead.

"We have arrested 150 men and women in the past week, including prostitutes and their boyfriends, transvestites, alcoholics and those engaged in indecent dressing in contravention of the sharia legal code," Yola told AFP.

Given that the governor is viewed as a moderate leader who has failed to impose the Sharia rules, some politicians see this order as his response. However, Yola, the police spokesman insisted that the operation was launched "to reverse disturbing trends in the city of some five million people and is targeting people of various faiths. Those arrested include Muslims and non-Muslims and we treat them equally because this is about morality," he said.

Some of the arrested civilians were released after paying fines ranging from 10,000-15,000 Naira ($60-$70). The spokesman also added that the people who could not afford the fine remains in jail . He would not specify how many people are currently detained.

I won't be surprise if several states follow Kano's trend and impose Sharia laws even on its Christian minorities. Today, it targets is immorality. Tomorrow, who knows? While other terrible crimes like murder, rape, theft, or fraud exist, Kano is more concerned about 'sagging pants'. What do you think...is jailing people necessarily an effective means of curtailing immorality? Is sagging pants immoral?

Please leave your comments below. I would like to know what you guys think.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/kano-police-arrested-150-people-for.html

1 Like

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by MagicBishop: 7:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
New PDP!
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by idupaul: 7:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
Just one question :How many Boko Haram members have the Hisbah arrested and jailed?

60 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
idupaul: Just one question :How many Boko Haram members have the Hisbah arrested and jailed?

Ask them ooo...
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by lincolnj88: 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nor blame dem oh........just pray make we divide dem oh
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by WisdomMe(m): 8:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
We will start shooting any1 on caftain or brown teeth here @ Owerri Imo state.

30 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by plendil: 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
Was the arrest done by the Hisbah Board or by the State Police? If the former, then its really nothing new. It was in fact worse during the tenure of Shekarau, Rabiu's predecessor.

But if its by the State police, as the article seems to imply, then one has to really wonder what a secular force is doing enforcing morality. The height of misplaced priorities, IMO.

3 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by eightsin(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
Wat!!!
I certainly don't wish to stay in d north.
So i cnt even club in Kano? Jesu!
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by redsun(m): 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
Fundamental backwardness that sturdily leads creatures to extinction.The north is on its way out,even before it has started.

4 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by Splinz(m): 9:48pm On Oct 22, 2013
WELL, SHARIA LAWS 4 OUR MUSLIM BRETHRENS IS OKAY, BUT I STILL THINK IT SHOULD BE STRICTLY ENFORCE WITHIN MOSQUES & THE FAITHFULLS. TRYING TO ENFORCE IT ON THE GENERALITY OF PPLE IS TOTALLY NOT NORMAL. MORALS SHOULD B LEARN, NOT ENFORCE!

5 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by MagicBishop: 9:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Can't blame me. it's not like I wrote the koran ... it's jus rules we and including you too have to follow
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nice one, I love and welcome this, I hope Bauchi will be the next to do this! Allahu akbar

3 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by redsun(m): 10:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

oh I forgot to add...

Sharia for all! Sharia for all!

In your deluded dreams!

Creatures like you are not as tenacious as common rats,and here you are talking about ruling normal humans.You have not been able to grasp the message about life that even common rats understand.The message that survival is your own making,not some primitive and barbaric dogmas.

19 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by theSpark(m): 10:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
What? No mohawks? No fros? Wait sef how does one determine which haircut is ungodly?

They need to publish a book of acceptd haircuts so that citizens can abide faithfully. I see some super eagles stars arrested next time they play in kano.

Am guessing next law is "all males must keep beards to abt 5cm in length, the guards will move about with measuring tapes and rulers to determine compliance and arrest defaulters".

18 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by DonMagicJuan: 10:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
theSpark: What? No mohawks? No fros? Wait sef how does one determine which haircut is ungodly?

They need to publish a book of acceptd haircuts so that citizens can abide faithfully. I see some super eagles stars arrested next time they play in kano.

Am guessing next law is "all males must keep beards to abt 5cm in length, the guards will move about with measuring tapes and rulers to determine compliance and arrest defaulters".

Thatz wat I keep sayin man.

we need to get this done ASAP.
Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by Bigcake: 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
Magic Bishop: Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!
Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!
Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!Power Must return to the North!

shekina?
Alert ur people now especially now dat u r not close to d market. Madness has so many ways of showing itself.

14 Likes

Re: 150 Arrested In Kano For Sagged Pants And Sporty Hair by bloggernaija: 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
The north has already declared independence based on their many of their actions.
Make the conference soveriegn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Parade Robbers, Cultists And Kidnappers In Abia (PHOTOS) / Police Arrest Fake Medical Doctor In Lagos State. / Four Men Tried To Kill A Widow In Her Farm In Ode Aye, Ondo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.