Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? (10110 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by topegreat(m): 5:47am On Oct 23, 2013
NYSC: A blessing or a curse?

Some people are clamouring that the NYSC scheme should be scrapped.
What is their reason?

1. It affords the youths the opportunity to add value to the community where they are serving (Corpers have provided school equipment, health centre, borehole etc through the scheme)
2. Afford you 1 year allowee (if well utilized)
3. free career development & entrepreneurship training (the part i love most)
4. Opportunity to network with people from different background, status and expertise.
4. Opportunity to get free work experience and be retained (sometimes) at your place of primary assignment
5. Opportunity to reach out to the poor in remote villages (rural rugged)

Or is there something (disadvantages) I am not seeing?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 23, 2013
This is my fourth time of becoming first to comment on nairaland..... Great achievement tho!

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by yokiti: 1:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
Disadvantages
1. The death of Henry Amadi, Adenike Adebayo comes to mind (though avoidable)
2. The issue of the lady matcheted in Bayelsa deserve a special mention.
3. The almighty 2011 post election crises that consumed corpers in Bauchi, Kaduna and made the NCCF corpers in Minna loose the family house and some valuable is a good point to discourage those you know from serving their fatherland.
Advantages.
1. NCCF rural rugged evangelism is a calcualted medium to reach out to locals and experiance what poverty and dark age mean in 21st century Nigeria.
2. On site learning about culture of people that you might not meet in your life time if not for NYSC.
3. Though it was established as an avenue to promote unity in Nigeria after the civil war but as it is now; some connected few individuals have seen it as an avenue to enrich their pocket (the budget for the kits and feeding of corp members.)
4. Its a good avenue for geographical expedition of the country Nigeria (not for those that influenced their posting to serve their motherland in the state of choice) but for those that accepted to serve anywhere they are posted.
5. Some ex- corper are MADE for life because of those they met during their service year.
Final word: its a blessing to those that have succeeded through it but the family of those that lost their precious child(ren) as a result of this will have a different opinion. I look forward to the day it will be a blessing to all and sundry.
May God bless Nigeria with good leaders and active and nation builders followers.
Note:This is my own submission and I stand to be corrected. Thanks!

10 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by cluewebhost(m): 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
It should be voluntary, not everyone has that 1 year to spare.

5 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by MrOlodo2(m): 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Na me be Mr.olodo
grin

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by hustla(m): 12:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
Curse
There's nothing good about it..just a calculated way to enrich money into a few pockets
The thing should be based on choice sef and your preferred location

6 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by dahdah: 12:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
Now Your Struggle Continuessssssssssss

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by toprealman: 12:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
We all know the truth of the matter. It has long outlived its usefulness.....NEXT!!!

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by princeonx: 12:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
dahdah: Now Your Struggle Continuessssssssssss

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by mumumugu(m): 12:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
It is a learning center for graduate.
If u learnt wel,it becomes blessing
if you dont learn, it is a course
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
A curse... A waste of time!!. People end up loosing their lives. Accidents happening on the way to camp. People's lives aint safe, as seen with the innocent corpers that lost their lives because buhari lost

Nysc should be scrapped, it's utterly useless and causes more harm than good angry

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by lanrezion01: 12:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
It is very unfortunate that the scheme has claimed lots of lives because of our unstable security and destablized economy. If properly managed, I recommend NYSC to all graduates, it is an avenue to network with friends and it gave some people the opportunity to know Christ better through NCCF.
Mr.Olodo:
Na me be Mr.olodo
grin

By their names you shall know them
Mr.Olodo:
Na me be Mr.olodo
grin
lol
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Ajibel(m): 12:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
I already have made up my mynd not to go for nysc. Ain't interested in their so-called adventure or shadowy service to FL.
There are better ways to serve my country and i can move to any state i like without being confined to a state via nysc programmes

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by hemartins(m): 12:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
really can't say cos i am yet to serve. But i look forward to having fun and makin some money.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by nerodenero: 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
More blessing than curse
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by pendusky(m): 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
TO THOSE WHO SECURE A JOB DURING THEIR SERVICE YEAR ITS A BLESSING

BUT TO THOSE WHO GET KILLED OR EVEN HAVE PROBLEM DURING THE SERVICE YEAR ITS A CURSE

ITS 50:50 DEAL!!!
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by ravensckar(m): 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
It has never been nd it wil never be a curse. 4get all d gibberish dt som pple may be sayin abt it. As Oscar wilde puts it 'Doz who find ugly meanings in beautiful tinz r corrupt wtout being charmin...' NYSC affords one a post-class experience,enables one 2go places,meet pple n acquire new skills. Even d irregularities n anomalies associatd wit it r stil part of learnin process. Why do u tink most reality shows r staged in d bush whr contestants wil av 2battle wit a whole lot of abnormalities? Men wld nt av bn men wtout challenges lyk ds.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mr.Olodo:
Na me be Mr.olodo
grin

By their names you shall know them.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by ennysongs(m): 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
Well it a blessing, coz certain positive tinz are achieve not jst da negatives
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by pelhurmy(m): 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
Wat abt dose teaching in schools in rural areas n directing traffic dat one self na job opportunity? NYSC does more harm dan gud...to me,it's lyk wasting one precious year of graduates....it's only dat,some corpers(very few) are fortunate and as for allowee,no b evry state dey pay well and even if dey pay well,na d allowance u go take do evrytin u nid to do without exhausting.....notin will b left for savings

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by warrikid(m): 12:55pm On Oct 25, 2013
hustla: Curse
There's nothing good about it..just a calculated way to enrich money into a few pockets
The thing should be based on choice sef and your preferred location
I'm wit u on dis points man,so on dat note d biatch is a CURSE.
19800 per month wasn't shit 2 me,I blew it same wknd I got it,plus I wasn't even working @ ma PPA abi na PAP sef,my cds pres taya 4 me so tey e go jus call me to get recharge card n trust me nau,I don stone am 4h severally,funny part,e dey appreciate am die.loolz.
Bottom line is,its a waste of time if u ask me.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by YIBrown(m): 1:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
It could be consider a source of blessing that exposed individuals of diffrent ethnic back ground to learn others culture.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by EejaNla01(m): 1:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
A blessing *improves you as a whole.

Also you can check mazi omenuko's thread on NYSC for more info. cheesy
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by bamssy(m): 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
it more of a blessing dan a curse i reminds 1 of national unity & sovereignty dat gave birth 2 our independence..finally it d pride of every nigerian student wu had ova cum sch challenges of strike bt if u tink odawise den i wl say **2 serve s nt by force**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun State Nysc 2016 Batch A Stream 2 / A Thread For Corpers Posted To Kebbi. / Jega Guarantees Corpers' Security In 2015 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.