Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? (10111 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by guiddoti: 10:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
My service year was indeed a blessing. I was very lucky to have served in Nigerian Breweries plc (Ama brewery,Enugu). No god-father. It was a tough battle with the LI. You know, Nb is one of the best companies in Enugu. They use to sell the space to corper but got it without paying a kobo. I took the chance of a corper who paid to the LI
I was rejected at the secondary where I was posted. I immediately left for Brewery and was favoured.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by mkoabiola: 11:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
More dan bless
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 4:28am On Oct 26, 2013
godfreyakpoguma: let assumed I didn't get d figures right,y did u believe giving graduates d money wud be worst? Is there anytin worst dan dis present situation?
If u want to knw, keep pumping 1m per graduate every yr and u will knw wats up.
Practical is the best teaching aid.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Ernestedetyahoocom(m): 7:14am On Oct 26, 2013
its another means of pumping money into the pockets of few nigerians.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Rita30: 9:33am On Oct 26, 2013
Its useless and waste of time. Another opportunity to further punish the poor. Imagine where u are asked to go and haunt for where to serve in an area u do not know. Kill nysc!!

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by olurotimiajayi7: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2013
As for me NYSC is a blessing
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by weazley(m): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2013
if i hear blessing from anibody mouth again, wat happened on d NYSC thread yesterday would repeat itsef, even me sef stil feel extra lucky to hav finished my service yr, i served in a place where killin snakes was forbidden, yu c snakes every where cos its a rural settlement, d girls ar laced with hiv, my room produces scorpions from d ceiling everytime it rains, no lyt, no network, no water yu wash ur whites and cook with purewater, d pll dont speak inglish, ppa pays 1k a month state and local govt do not pay corpers and to crown it al i had an accident when discharged after pop..
so tel me wat has nysc been for me??

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by anthony8888(m): 5:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
dont let us 4get dat it also hlps 2 put food on pples table . eg ,dos cooks , camera men, man o war, soldiers d lyks .its touches ery lives.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by newsbunk1: 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
topegreat: NYSC: A blessing or a curse?

Some people are clamouring that the NYSC scheme should be scrapped.
What is their reason?

1. It affords the youths the opportunity to add value to the community where they are serving (Corpers have provided school equipment, health centre, borehole etc through the scheme)
2. Afford you 1 year allowee (if well utilized)
3. free career development & entrepreneurship training (the part i love most)
4. Opportunity to network with people from different background, status and expertise.
4. Opportunity to get free work experience and be retained (sometimes) at your place of primary assignment
5. Opportunity to reach out to the poor in remote villages (rural rugged)

Though Nysc might have a few advantages, and a few corp members get lucky with jobs and other opportunities. the number of nigerian youths who waste one year of their life in the name of nysc far exceed the lucky few. in my opinion nysc looks more like modern day slavery.

no provision for accommodation in most cases or where it is provided the living condition is disheartening
graduates are kept on a minimum wage all in the name of service to a nation that is barely offering anything in return

the economic hardship in the country has made many nigerian youths to be contented with the peanut allowance they are paid coupled with the ignorant half baked graduates nigerian higher institutions are producing which make them myopic to the fact that they are wasting 365 days of your life.

if you have the opportunity of schooling outside nigeria where after graduation your mates get jobs while you run back home to serve your country nigeria, then you would understand how painful it can be to see your friends after 365 days haven advanced in career and life in general and you were just barely able to save N 50 000 from your alawee.

in my own opinion nysc should be scrapped because it is far from achieving the purpose (national integration) for which it was created.if the government wants to help their youth they better divert the money into improving the economy or better still pay them unemployment benefits

Or is there something (disadvantages) I am not seeing?
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by guiddoti: 8:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
Hey guy cool down. Are you a soldier? If you are not happy being alive after rigorous living in an untold environment, at least you are back home, it worth saying a blessing.
weazley: if i hear blessing from anibody mouth again, wat happened on d NYSC thread yesterday would repeat itsef, even me sef stil feel extra lucky to hav finished my service yr, i served in a place where killin snakes was forbidden, yu c snakes every where cos its a rural settlement, d girls ar laced with hiv, my room produces scorpions from d ceiling everytime it rains, no lyt, no network, no water yu wash ur whites and cook with purewater, d pll dont speak inglish, ppa pays 1k a month state and local govt do not pay corpers and to crown it al i had an accident when discharged after pop..
so tel me wat has nysc been for me??
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by newsbunk1: 8:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
Though Nysc might have a few advantages, and a few corp members get lucky with jobs and other opportunities. the number of nigerian youths who waste one year of their life in the name of nysc far exceed the lucky few. in my opinion nysc looks more like modern day slavery.

no provision for accommodation in most cases or where it is provided the living condition is disheartening
graduates are kept on a minimum wage all in the name of service to a nation that is barely offering anything in return

the economic hardship in the country has made many nigerian youths to be contented with the peanut allowance they are paid coupled with the ignorant half baked graduates nigerian higher institutions are producing which make them myopic to the fact that they are wasting 365 days of your life.

if you have the opportunity of schooling outside nigeria where after graduation your mates get jobs while you run back home to serve your country nigeria, then you would understand how painful it can be to see your friends after 365 days haven advanced in career and life in general and you were just barely able to save N 50 000 from your alawee.

in my own opinion nysc should be scrapped because it is far from achieving the purpose (national integration) for which it was created.if the government wants to help their youth they better divert the money into improving the economy or better still pay them unemployment benefits

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Thread For Corpers Posted To Kebbi. / Jega Guarantees Corpers' Security In 2015 Elections / Niger Batch A16 Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.