Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? (14508 Views)

Nigeria's Dangerous Skin Whitening Obsession As Reported By Aljazeera (Pictures) / Greece, Philosophy, And The Afrocentric Obsession With Ancient Egypt / The Obsession With Ethiopians And Somalis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Iykebestbt(m): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
Light skin rocks
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Charles4075(m): 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
Naija girls be like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2014
I like em dark ...The darker the berry,the deeper the roots ...
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by shaggy007(m): 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
Igban:
#TeamBlueSkin.

I love Smurfette.

grin

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
sips my chilled origin* cool

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by easystudy101: 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
true talk

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by holatin(m): 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
point of correction not all nairalander
for me if I see say I don dey light small, I start mixing charcoal in my cream.
#team black and shine
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Airforce1(m): 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
Ucheosefoh:
Op direct your questions to president and vice president of light skin lovers Mrcork and Airforce1
Modified: more than one year thread making front page hehehehe all hope are not lost I believe my 2010 thread will make front page one day

Huh
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by UjSizzle(f): 9:46pm On Dec 01, 2014
It's joblessness, boredom and a poorly exercised thinking faculty.

Quite easy for lazy minds to argue over useless pointless stuff, than think up simple concise thoughts to back up meaningful arguments.

Of course they'll tell you it's just playful banter cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2014
Airforce1:

Huh
You love light skin girls like your life depended on it. I lie?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2014
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by zeb04(f): 9:51pm On Dec 01, 2014
Your beauty is in your eyes...well that's how I judge beauty
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Airforce1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2014
Ucheosefoh:
You love light skin girls like your life depended on it. I lie?

Blinks

Pretends like I can't read
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2014
Bwahaha... I am going for green skin next year! Where is the green ink?!
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by ellechrystal(f): 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2014
Shuoo..
Please what kinda threads make front page these days?
Am discombobulated to b honest..
Y in the world would we discuss this? I tire o
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 01, 2014
Here's 'Star Wars' actor John Boyega's classy response to racist critics

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/1/7313507/heres-star-wars-actor-john-boyegas-extremely-classy-response-to
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by biafranqueen: 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2014

Lol.
This is just me thinking aloud...
Our variations as black people come mostly in our skin color. We have black, brown, Caramel, yellow, lol. White people's variation come in hair or eye color. For hair there's blonde, brunette, red hair. The blonde takes a special precedence over the rest. It is not rare to see a brunette dying her hair blonde.
For black people it's the skin not hair that give insecure people sleepless nights. Unfortunately we have a lot of these people.
Wish I could see a black person all I have ever seen is real dark brown undecided
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
It's good to know my competition spend all their time thinking about skin tones; but it's bad 'cos I'll end up with mediocre opposition. *whistling back to the studio*
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Natasha2(f): 10:18pm On Dec 01, 2014

I'm black and I'm proud grin
I'm light and I'm proud
Oya poster kill me grin grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 01, 2014
If it doesn't matter so much,why are all those girls in the music videos almost always fair? Or those ladies that work at banks or in adverts? The truth is that Africans believe mostly that beauty lies in that light skin. All around guys worship light skin girls. What am I trying to say? That is the truth but we shouldn't kill ourselves over it but rather find better things to do with our time and also accept the truth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by cooljude(m): 10:30pm On Dec 01, 2014
I tell you most honestly that beauty comes in variety and with its peculiarity. Some people should stop this view that all light skin people bleached. Lot of my cousins are light skinned and they did not apply any bleaching cream and they look good and i am dark in complexion and i look faboulus.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Natasha2(f): 10:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
Krystalxxx:
If it doesn't matter so much,why are all those girls in the music videos almost always fair? Or those ladies that work at banks or in adverts? The truth is that Africans believe mostly that beauty lies in that light skin. All around guys worship light skin girls. What am I trying to say? That is the truth but we shouldn't kill ourselves over it but rather find better things to do with our time and also accept the truth
so true you have spoken well, that video ish gets me upset sometimes, 80% of videos you watch are filled with light skinned girls as if the dark ones ain't pretty.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 01, 2014
Natasha2:

so true you have spoken well, that video ish gets me upset sometimes, 80% of videos you watch are filled with light skinned girls as if the dark ones ain't pretty.

Wallahi e dey pain o, but what can we do grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by uzolexis(f): 10:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
bb
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by ghostofsparta(m): 10:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
brb
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
GoodGirl2:

The black man/woman can begin by having other priorities in life such as pursuing academic excellence, business excellence, excellence in governance, intelligence, innovation, developing responsibility, family values, involvement in philanthropy etc, rather than obsessing about which skin tone is "better", which is "more beautiful", which is "more superior", which is "more African" and such crap.

Poor white man. He has successfully been dragged into this issue as usual. Lmao!! grin
The "dreaded" white man will actually have a field day when he knows that all we do is obsess about petty issues such as skin shades while not giving a damn about other issues which are of importance. We laugh about our corrupt politicians who loot our taxes, but go into bi-tch fits when random people say they don't find Africans attractive (women are more guilty of this, unfortunately).

you spoke well

are you single?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 11:01pm On Dec 01, 2014
Please am getting darker, what can I do to avoid this? I need help please.....

Any cream?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by pashaun(f): 11:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
Vivly:
If only such obsession would be channeled to finding cure for HIV

There's already a cure for HIV/AIDs and Cancer.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 01, 2014
donnypool:
you spoke well
Thanks a lot.

donnypool:
are you single?
No. smiley
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by coolzeal(m): 11:16pm On Dec 01, 2014
You're generalizing and besides I think its not just a black man thing but a male thing. Most of them are obsessed with skin color and the physical. I think the ideal girl for most men is light in complexion but I'm color blind when it comes to whoever I date or interract with. Chocolate is my weakness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Chances Of Success For An Arranged Marriage? / Amusat laleye Dusin Kidnapped In Osun / Sexy Ethiopian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.