Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? (14506 Views)

Nigeria's Dangerous Skin Whitening Obsession As Reported By Aljazeera (Pictures) / Greece, Philosophy, And The Afrocentric Obsession With Ancient Egypt / The Obsession With Ethiopians And Somalis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
Ucheosefoh:
Op direct your questions to president and vice president of light skin lovers Mrcork and Airforce1
Modified: more than one year thread making front page hehehehe all hope are not lost I believe my 2010 thread will make front page one day
I'm not making reference to people who love light-skinned folks. I was just concerned that skin tone is an issue to hyperventilate about, whether light-skinned or dark-skinned.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by sukkot: 11:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
MEILYN:
Please am getting darker, what can I do to avoid this? I need help please.....

Any cream?
try toothpaste. it works very well. you go white like yellow man the jamaican reggae artist wink
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
Mrkuvuki:
I like em dark ...The darker the berry,the deeper the roots ...
holatin:
point of correction not all nairalander
for me if I see say I don dey light small, I start mixing charcoal in my cream.
#team black and shine
coolzeal:
Chocolate is my weakness.
You like them dark....you like them chocolate, some like them yellow.....blah blah blah.
Question is, is it that important whether someone is dark or light?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by whitecat2: 11:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
Even a light skinned apes are super pretty to most Nigerians. Infact take the same pictures, paint one peach and the other espresso, and see which one is "beautiful" and the one they call "ugly".

Even today I stumbled on a post where someone was called "ugly black shytte" and I've come across " dark skinned biatchh". The people who say these things are known to suffer from inferiority complex and I agree, cos there is no family in nigeria without dark skinned people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by abdulwastecx(m): 11:55pm On Dec 01, 2014
Oildichotomy:
Obsession'' with skin tones or whatever that means is being human.

People get 'passionate' (which i believe is the right word) about different things talk more of something that concerns their bodies.
Get over it, cos no matter how hard you preach, people must talk about their bodies and trust me '' skin colour'' is definitely a big part of our very essence as Africans.

BTW, It has always been a best way of adjectival human description.
Why the fuss?

skin colour ia just a protective mechanism against sum races...the closer to equator the darker your skin tonnes. European standard of beauty has really change everything for our female.
They intentionally remove melanin to look light in other to feel cool why killing themselves gradually
They attached all kind of disgusting foreign hair to look European
They were all those terrible make up to look cool.

the funniest part is they spend more money on all these products than education and health.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by abdulwastecx(m): 11:56pm On Dec 01, 2014
GoodGirl2:

You like them dark....you like them chocolate, some like them yellow.....blah blah blah.

there is no such thing as chocolate. ..you are either dark or brown
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by abdulwastecx(m): 11:58pm On Dec 01, 2014
Natasha2:

I'm black and I'm proud grin
I'm light and I'm proud
Oya poster kill me grin grin

you look brown to me
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 12:02am On Dec 02, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Chocolate is just a different terminology used to describe dark or brown. I think you already know that. undecided
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by whitecat2: 12:03am On Dec 02, 2014
Yes, there is chocolate skin color, both dark and milk chocolate. Blacks have all shades of brown.
abdulwastecx:

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by abdulwastecx(m): 12:04am On Dec 02, 2014
whitecat2:
Yes, there is chocolate skin color, both dark and milk chocolate. Blacks have all shades of brown.

when I look at a sub Saharan. .. all I see ia dark and brown
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by abdulwastecx(m): 12:05am On Dec 02, 2014
whitecat2:

when I look at a sub Saharan. .. all I see is dark and brown.

Black is a social construct just like how white is a construct. I haven't seen a black person before, despite been a dark skin man
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by whitecat2: 12:08am On Dec 02, 2014
Ok!

Then brown should be it.
abdulwastecx:

when I look at a sub Saharan. .. all I see ia dark and brown
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 12:11am On Dec 02, 2014
sukkot:
try toothpaste. it works very well. you go white like yellow man the jamaican reggae artist wink
cheesy cheesy thanks sire.... Which brand of tooth paste do you recommend?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 02, 2014
everyone has different taste. my zodiac sign is Scorpio . ever since i was a kid ,I've always been especially fascinated and attracted to very dark skin people . i like dark skin like the photo below not even brown skin. I like girls with short hairstyle . I am turned on by a dark skin girl . I think a light or pale skin is soft and ugly.

1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 02, 2014
-

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 02, 2014
GoodGirl2:
Thanks a lot.

No. smiley

in case you become available, know that am next in line smiley
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by sukkot: 1:50am On Dec 02, 2014
MEILYN:
cheesy cheesy thanks sire.... Which brand of tooth paste do you recommend?
colgate grin wink
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by BrAkingNews: 2:45am On Dec 02, 2014
Ah came here to loook!!!! grin

Kano bomb blast: All the shoes left behind by victims photo >>>> http://www..com/all-the-shoes-left-behind-by-victims-photo/
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by monemsis(m): 4:08am On Dec 02, 2014
U mean dis grin

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by coolzeal(m): 6:02am On Dec 02, 2014
GoodGirl2:

I don't have a favorable view on skin color rather I take pride in my own appearance. However, some black people have deep rooted phycological issues, it's just one big mess that I can't be bothered to go into details right now. The media is one powerful force and our artist are not helpful either.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by gbodimowo(m): 6:22am On Dec 02, 2014
We have an obsession because we nigerians period
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by holatin(m): 6:25am On Dec 02, 2014
GoodGirl2:

no because colour na colour
what make human is in not out.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by ArtanK(m): 7:03am On Dec 02, 2014
It's not just NL though, 90% of Africans are obsessed with skin tones because that's what Africans do.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 7:16am On Dec 02, 2014
sukkot:
colgate grin wink
We don't have such here in Nigeria cheesy
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 02, 2014
Anyone can do whatever they want with their skin, I don't care.
I don't care about your skintone.
But when it's a public figure or celeb who puts herself out there and is constantly in my face, I will talk about the variations in her skin tone.
undecided
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 02, 2014
GoodGirl2:

Personal preference.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Natasha2(f): 7:52am On Dec 02, 2014
Krystalxxx:

Wallahi e dey pain o, but what can we do grin
grin you cracked me up,

abdulwastecx:

you look brown to me
erm okay, its edited though.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Natasha2(f): 7:54am On Dec 02, 2014
monemsis:
U mean dis grin
ewwwww grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 02, 2014
monemsis:
U mean dis grin

O'shyte!
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by sukkot: 8:22am On Dec 02, 2014
MEILYN:
We don't have such here in Nigeria cheesy

in that case, say it with me bruv ' I AM BLACK AND AM PROUD ' grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by cupidhero(m): 9:31am On Dec 02, 2014
Krystalxxx:
If it doesn't matter so much,why are all those girls in the music videos almost always fair? Or those ladies that work at banks or in adverts? The truth is that Africans believe mostly that beauty lies in that light skin. All around guys worship light skin girls. What am I trying to say? That is the truth but we shouldn't kill ourselves over it but rather find better things to do with our time and also accept the truth
Troof! You deserve a medal,nigerians love pretending alot,is all about fair chicks to them. everything you said is true,majority of them love their girls fair. imagine a country with a million fine girls and still we end up having blondes and brunettes in a video that is made for a black nation,if truely we don't worship a fair skin these videos would not be hyped the way they are being hyped. I'm a black adonis tho and ma girl is fair and she is crazy about dark guys but we all know our boys can't help falling in love with fair ladies.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Chances Of Success For An Arranged Marriage? / Amusat laleye Dusin Kidnapped In Osun / Sexy Ethiopian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.