Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,954 members, 7,952,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:09 AM

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? (14843 Views)

Nigeria's Dangerous Skin Whitening Obsession As Reported By Aljazeera (Pictures) / Greece, Philosophy, And The Afrocentric Obsession With Ancient Egypt / The Obsession With Ethiopians And Somalis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 02, 2014
GoodGirl2:
Topics on skin tones run up to 22 pages while literature topics run up to 5 pages.
Everyday, it's light-skinned this, dark-skinned that, black beauty this, caramel that, bleaching this, toning that..... angry

Can someone help me understand why it's so important to be defined by a particular skin tone?

People get into debates and next thing you see is "I'm dark and proud", "we're light-skinned in our family", "wish my wife/hubby will be as dark as....", "our community is known for being naturally fair"....blah, blah, blah. Is it really that important what skin tone someone is?

We all have our preferences and affinities towards particular skin tones, but it makes me wonder whether skin colour/tone is the only thing someone has to offer. C'mon! angry

Unless you actually have nothing else going on for you, you cannot seriously tell me that it's your skin tone you're banking on to get you a date, a job, a friend, a promotion, a business deal or a spouse. Oh, wait a minute....you actually think it is, right?

I think we really need to get over this issue. IT'S BORING....as boring as Vasco da Gama Pillar. angry

If you're dark, get over it. It's not an achievement. You'll not get a medal. angry
If you are fair, get over it. You're not special, neither are you rare. angry

I hope you are true to your words.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 9:40am On Dec 02, 2014
sukkot:
in that case, say it with me bruv ' I AM BLACK AND AM PROUD ' grin
I am proud of my skin colour.. I just want to maintain it, am getting darker and me don't like it.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by simdam500(m): 9:45am On Dec 02, 2014
yes we are all beautiful and handsome in our respective skin color but the light skinned girls aren't my choice in anyway..... they see their self as too special. smh sadyes
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:33pm On Dec 02, 2014

This is just me thinking aloud...
Our variations as black people come mostly in our skin color. We have black, brown, Caramel, yellow, lol. White people's variation come in hair or eye color. For hair there's blonde, brunette, red hair. The blonde takes a special precedence over the rest. It is not rare to see a brunette dying her hair blonde.
For black people it's the skin not hair that give insecure people sleepless nights. Unfortunately we have a lot of these people.

Girl, you hit the nail right where it matters - The head!
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by wtfCode: 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2014
and where the hell is mr.cork?
This is where i'd appreciate his comment.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by sukkot: 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2014
MEILYN:
I am proud of my skin colour.. I just want to maintain it, am getting darker and me don't like it.
oh ok in that case let me recommend something that would work very well for you and it is natural. get lemons and squeeze the juice. and use the juice on your face. it lightens the skin. wink
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2014
sukkot:
oh ok in that case let me recommend something that would work very well for you and it is natural. get lemons and squeeze the juice. and use the juice on your face. it lightens the skin. wink
ok sire... Me appreciate wink... Don't wanna be light but not too dark though
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by sukkot: 2:40pm On Dec 02, 2014
MEILYN:
ok sire... Me appreciate wink... Don't wanna be light but not too dark though
oh no sire, lemon is for minimal lightening not micheal jackson lightening. you need whitenicious for that one. buy baseball caps and shades and wear when you go out in the sun cheesy
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MEILYN(m): 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2014
sukkot:
oh no sire, lemon is for minimal lightening not micheal jackson lightening. you need whitenicious for that one. buy baseball caps and shades and wear when you go out in the sun cheesy
Ohhh I see.... Thanks sire.. Lol @ Michael Jackson lightening

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Mutendiwashe(f): 6:07am On Dec 04, 2014
I agree people have to learn to appreciate themselves.
Fulaman198:

To a certain extent I agree with you. However, some people also want someone who looks like them as well. it really varies from individual to individual. It's possible (I'm not saying it is fact without any solid scientific evidence) that dark complexioned guys do prefer lighter skinned girls due to having some sort of insecurity.

Beauty is beauty, plain and simple. I wish more and more people recognised that. It has absolutely nothing to do with ones skin tone/complexion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Offensive Proverbs / Yoruba Words For Beauty And Fashion / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.