Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Rules On Slavery - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rules On Slavery (3024 Views)

The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. / Synagogue: Court Rules On Inquest Nov 17 / Vatican Set To Publish New Rules On Abuse (child Abuse By Catholic Priests) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rules On Slavery by loveroftruth: 10:48am On Oct 24, 2013
This is exactly why i said i will not reply to all this attack being displayed here.

Emotion blinds one from the point/post under consideration i replied to

this was the question ?

Deep Sight:

Why the different rules
then regarding foreigners.

that question was pointing out that Yahweh is partial, hence my reply, that that samething had happend to the Israelites and he(DS) conveniently ignored it only to pick at this. Simple!

Can ye all kindly go back and read again the post again with context ? Smh.

And desist from assumming that your attitude will be contagious to all instead of understanding/reading inbetween the lines.

*why am i doing this sef ? sad *

On you lot, its a wasted effort.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: You guys are acting as if you didn't read my posts. Did you not hear when I said that slavery in those days was different from the brutality of these recent times. Under Gods law, brutality and ill treatment of foreigners was not allowed.

We hear you quite well......

....however, man of us refuse to acknowledge your lies and romanticising of the cruelty in the bible.

Slavery in the bible was racist, brutal and evil in the bible. You are not fooling anyone.

The bible clearly states how to beat your slave. Women were seen as sex slaves after wars.

We are to believe that these isrealites who where gutting their neighbours and slicing off foreskins of enemies were more humane than people in the 16th century? You mad?
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 11:53am On Oct 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

We hear you quite well......

....however, man of us refuse to acknowledge your lies and romanticising of the cruelty in the bible.

Slavery in the bible was racist, brutal and evil in the bible. You are not fooling anyone.

The bible clearly states how to beat your slave. Women were seen as sex slaves after wars.

We are to believe that these isrealites who where gutting their neighbours and slicing off foreskins of enemies were more humane than people in the 16th century? You mad?
believe what you want to believe, it won't change the truth.
You see how awful judgement of sin and wickedness can be and you refuse to escape. You see how this same God is a lion and a lamb, a father and a judge. You are unrepentant.
Looking for stupid exccuses to continue in sin.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: believe what you want to believe, it won't change the truth.
You see how awful judgement of sin and wickedness can be and you refuse to escape. You see how this same God is a lion and a lamb, a father and a judge. You are unrepentant.
Looking for stupid exccuses to continue in sin.

^^^
I can smoke weed and drink all day and I wouldnt still post as much nonsense that you just did up there. Clown
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: You guys are acting as if you didn't read my posts. Did you not hear when I said that slavery in those days was different from the brutality of these recent times. Under Gods law, brutality and ill treatment of foreigners was not allowed.

You are a liar, the Israelis according to the bible stories were told by their god to kill foreigners on many occasions because the foreigners worshiped other gods. . .Slavery is a bad thing and will always remain so, if people like Moses, Joshua, Ezekiel were alive today and tried any of the nonsense the bible said they did they would have been arrested and either killed or jailed for war crimes. . .

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by alphascorpio(m): 12:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
This Joshthefirst just keeps making one stup1d comment after another. How can someone be this dense?!
Y'all need to stop arguing with this fellow cuz its kinda like arguing with a 2 year old who still believes in the tooth fairy. There's absolutely nothing you can say to make him believe otherwise.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 1:26pm On Oct 24, 2013
mazaje:

You are a liar, the Israelis according to the bible stories were told by their god to kill foreigners on many occasions because the foreigners worshiped other gods. . .Slavery is a bad thing and will always remain so, if people like Moses, Joshua, Ezekiel were alive today and tried any of the nonsense the bible said they did they would have been arrested and either killed or jailed for war crimes. . .
why are you trying to discredit me?
I meant foreigners in their midst. Read the post in context.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 1:30pm On Oct 24, 2013
alpha_scorpio: This Joshthefirst just keeps making one stup1d comment after another. How can someone be this dense?!
Y'all need to stop arguing with this fellow cuz its kinda like arguing with a 2 year old who still believes in the tooth fairy. There's absolutely nothing you can say to make him believe otherwise.
yeah. They should leave me alone for petes sake. I didn't start any argument on this thread. They are the ones who saw the truth and began to fight against it. See mazaje saying slavery was the same then as it was now. Smh.
The kind of slavery these days can be likened to what happened to israel when they were in egypt. That was real brutalization. They cried to God, and God judged.
Atheists who think they are smart and say just about anything to try to pass across themselves as rational. Smh
Re: Rules On Slavery by Kay17: 1:30pm On Oct 24, 2013
Yet a human can be a property, and as a consequence be treated as a property (res) and not a person. This difference is very vital. There is an extent laws can go in controlling the properties of ppl.

Unlike in modern atheist secular society all humans are persons and have rights as such.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 1:56pm On Oct 24, 2013
Kay 17:
Yet a human can be a property, and as a consequence be treated as a property (res) and not a person. This difference is very vital. There is an extent laws can go in controlling the properties of ppl.

Unlike in modern atheist secular society all humans are persons and have rights as such.
slaving in bible times was different..speaking generally Yes, they became peoples property, but they were not sold as slaves as a result of racism, etc like we've seen in recent times. Take joseph for example, who was sold into slavery by his brothers. He was even made head of the house because of good merit and work.
Maltreatment of slaves was considered extreme generally. Unlike the recent negro slaving where once you became a slave, you became a prejudiced animal.
Another example is daniel and the jews in captivity in babylon. They were even granted authority.

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 1:58pm On Oct 24, 2013
Kay 17:

you're insinuating that its only in atheist secular society that all humans have rights as such. And this is a lie. That's for another day.

One more thing: no one has a right to sin against God talk less of his fellow humans.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Kay17: 2:40pm On Oct 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: slaving in bible times was different..speaking generally Yes, they became peoples property, but they were not sold as slaves as a result of racism, etc like we've seen in recent times. Take joseph for example, who was sold into slavery by his brothers. He was even made head of the house because of good merit and work.
Maltreatment of slaves was considered extreme generally. Unlike the recent negro slaving where once you became a slave, you became a prejudiced animal.
Another example is daniel and the jews in captivity in babylon. They were even granted authority.

The injustice and racism are clearly in the differential rule! Israelites are not to be taken nor seen as property but foreigners by virtue of being foreigners can be treated as property! The difference btw foreigners and israelites is on the basis of Race!

The Bible saw problems of slavery: the degradation of man and tried to maintain the dignity of an Israelite by making him exempt from slavery.

The height of the Trans Altantic Slave Trade was at a time Christian Europe was dominant. The Europeans didn't see any evil in treating their African heathen brothers as property if they were seen as "foreigners".

What I expected from the Bible given its purported endurance and usefulness across ages, was a progressive stance towards Slavery. A total abolition which would have served and wld serve as an inspiration to treat the human being as a deserving equal

However the Bible sinks like Quran in the morality of its day.
Re: Rules On Slavery by NoProphecy: 5:39am On Nov 02, 2013

So owning human beings was ok? Would it be OK to own human beings today if we do not treat them poorly? This is BS. Quit making up excuses for those evil, backwards savages. If you think that slavery is ever OK, I vomit for you.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst is an exemplary product of Nigerian christian brainwashing.

-The guy is shown a passage in the bible where isrealites are to be treated differently from others especially when it comes to slavery
-The guy himself states that God's convenant was only with isreal and not others
-The guy then goes on to say that God/The bible is not racist.

Christianity at times is mental retardation

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 8:30am On Nov 02, 2013
Logicboy03: Joshthefirst is an exemplary product of Nigerian christian brainwashing.

-The guy is shown a passage in the bible where isrealites are to be treated differently from others especially when it comes to slavery
-The guy himself states that God's convenant was only with isreal and not others
-The guy then goes on to say that God/The bible is not racist.

Christianity at times is mental retardation

He closes his eyes and mind , he just keeps spewing only what he know. . .He believes everything in the bible is true as such it must be true, regardless of what the fact is . .He even twist facts just so that his belief in mythology can be sustained. . .
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 9:03am On Nov 02, 2013
NoProphecy:

So owning human beings was ok? Would it be OK to own human beings today if we do not treat them poorly? This is BS. Quit making up excuses for those evil, backwards savages. If you think that slavery is ever OK, I vomit for you.
Owning human beings in those days was quite normal. And God gave rules on how to treat them.

Stop trying to justify your unrepentant and biased beliefs and claims.
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 9:15am On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: Owning human beings in those days was quite normal. And God gave rules on how to treat them.

Stop trying to justify your unrepentant and biased beliefs and claims.

When slavery was acceptable your god was busy encouraging it , eh?. . .Why will a god not know that slavery is bad?
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 02, 2013
mazaje:

He closes his eyes and mind , he just keeps spewing only what he know. . .He believes everything in the bible is true as such it must be true, regardless of what the fact is . .He even twist facts just so that his belief in mythology can be sustained. . .

It is sad that many of our fellow Nigerians think like him.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 10:40am On Nov 02, 2013
mazaje:

When slavery was acceptable your god was busy encouraging it , eh?. . .Why will a god not know that slavery is bad?
which kind of question is this?
Its in these modern times of brutality and terrible racism that slavery was stopped because of the brutality always connected to it.
In old times. Slaves were called bond servants. Slavery was not bad, it was normal. And the slaves among the people of God were not allowed to be mistreated or brutalized. God even warned them that he heard the cries of foreigners who were illtreated in their midst, and that he would move to defend them.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: which kind of question is this?
Its in these modern times of brutality and terrible racism that slavery was stopped because of the brutality always connected to it.
In old times. Slaves were called bond servants. Slavery was not bad, it was normal. And the slaves among the people of God were not allowed to be mistreated or brutalized. God even warned them that he heard the cries of foreigners who were illtreated in their midst, and that he would move to defend them.

I like your christ but not your christians undecided
Re: Rules On Slavery by MrTroll(m): 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2013
Smh for Josh. "Slavery was normal."

How i wish you could say this to the slaves then. The ones being bought and sold. Human beings.

It is a pity that you are a black man like me and say with a straight face that slavery was normal just because your bible encouraged it. I spit in your face Josh. You are disgrace to all your ancestors who were ever bought and sold. They had no choice then but YOU my friend are a willing slave. Its a shame really. . .sad
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 1:42pm On Nov 02, 2013
Mr Troll: Smh for Josh. "Slavery was normal."

How i wish you could say this to the slaves then. The ones being bought and sold. Human beings.

It is a pity that you are a black man like me and say with a straight face that slavery was normal just because your bible encouraged it. I spit in your face Josh. You are disgrace to all your ancestors who were ever bought and sold. They had no choice then but YOU my friend are a willing slave. Its a shame really. . .sad
grin grin grin

It is pathetic that you cannot read and understand a simple statement. What part of:
"In those days" do you not understand.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: grin grin grin

It is pathetic that you cannot read and understand a simple statement. What part of:
"In those days" do you not understand.

What part of "God's truth is eternal" don't you understand?

If slavery is bad now, it should have been bad then for God. No excuse of "in those days"
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 2:18pm On Nov 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

What part of "God's truth is eternal" don't you understand?

If slavery is bad now, it should have been bad then for God. No excuse of "in those days"
Gods truth in this case is brutality and racism.

People invent new ways and kinds of evil everyday, perverting that which is good.

Its even prophesied in the bible
Re: Rules On Slavery by macof(m): 3:40pm On Nov 02, 2013
josh you are really foolish, I thought you were just a mislead and slaved African, I never realized you are dumb and ur brain works like that of a sheep.

honestly well reading ur comments I got so angry I could punch u if you were in my presence, what kind idiot are u?

You read that op and still can't realize the stupidity behind christianity and the evil of Yahweh.

I pity ur soul, because foolish as forever been imprinted on it.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: Gods truth in this case is brutality and racism.

People invent new ways and kinds of evil everyday, perverting that which is good.

Its even prophesied in the bible

Was that a sensible reply to my post?
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 4:11pm On Nov 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Was that a sensible reply to my post?
I don't have time to start explaining simple bibilical truths to you.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: I don't have time to start remixing simple bibilical falsehoods to you.

grin grin grin
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 4:46pm On Nov 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

grin grin grin
well done.
Re: Rules On Slavery by debosky(m): 5:19pm On Nov 02, 2013
SMH. . . .y'all should go argue with your mates instead of picking on Josh. He clearly doesn't know how your crew operates hence his stumbling into your traps. grin

Slavery was acceptable to God in the OT - there's little or no reason to consider otherwise. However, the question is whether this was a 'situational' acceptance (based on prevailing circumstances) or universal acceptance. That question has not been addressed here.

Slavery is bad in whatever guise, brutal or otherwise - subjugating another human being isn't acceptable even if you treat them 'nicely'.

What I'll say is this - for a time only Israelites could legitimately worship God, eventually all can if they accept Jesus. I believe a similar principle applies to slavery - for some time it was acceptable, but not eventually has become unacceptable since all can now worship Christ - therefore there is no more division between 'foreigners' and 'Jews' - all are acceptable to God.
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 5:38pm On Nov 02, 2013
debosky: SMH. . . .y'all should go argue with your mates instead of picking on Josh. He clearly doesn't know how your crew operates hence his stumbling into your traps. grin

Slavery was acceptable to God in the OT - there's little or no reason to consider otherwise. However, the question is whether this was a 'situational' acceptance (based on prevailing circumstances) or universal acceptance. That question has not been addressed here.

Slavery is bad in whatever guise, brutal or otherwise - subjugating another human being isn't acceptable even if you treat them 'nicely'.

What I'll say is this - for a time only Israelites could legitimately worship God, eventually all can if they accept Jesus. I believe a similar principle applies to slavery - for some time it was acceptable, but not eventually has become unacceptable since all can now worship Christ - therefore there is no more division between 'foreigners' and 'Jews' - all are acceptable to God.

Joshthefirst PLEASE I BEG you learn to use your brain when engaging others, I disagree with many of the things that were written in the post above but it makes some sense at least, it accepts responsibility and states things they way there are before giving the christian theological explanation. . . learn to argue like this and stop spewing thrash like a senseless sheep. . . .
Re: Rules On Slavery by Kay17: 5:51pm On Nov 02, 2013
debosky: SMH. . . .y'all should go argue with your mates instead of picking on Josh. He clearly doesn't know how your crew operates hence his stumbling into your traps. grin

We should be able to enslave atheists, since they willingly refuse to worship any deity; they don't constitute "the everybody that worships God now"

@josh Bondservants are uniquely of English Law. Bondservants is rigidly formed by a bond/deed with the peculiar characteristics. I strongly doubt if the ancient Israelites and their neighbours used deeds in the first place!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First Bible Translated In Yoruba By Ajayi Crowther / Two Questions For NL Christians / Prophet D. A. Samuel Of Christ Worshippers Church, Warri Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.