Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? (4309 Views)

Poll: are you for or against coitus/conception before wedlock?

for: 0% (0 votes)
against: 100% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Letter From A White Woman To Black Men Who Bash Black Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by eminemkayc: 12:51pm On Jul 08, 2008
In our modern society, its now normal to find most Nigerian men insisting on their partners getting pregnant before marriage! this practice, however, is grotesque when compared with the norms practiced by our parents of old. Most men argue that they are not sure of the lady they are about taking into their homes, so the litmus test must first be carried out on her to ensure her fertility! however, others (especially the religious heads) have thrown counter argument saying that the practice is contrary to the content of religious books. so everybody, what do u think?
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by SENATORJD(m): 12:55pm On Jul 08, 2008
eminemkayc:

Most men argue that they are not sure of the lady they are about taking into their homes, so the litmus test must first be carried out on her so ensure her fertility

have u considered the fact that the man could be infertile? so then what happens?
for me its wrong
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2008
I personally think it is better to marriage before getting pregnant., but because of certain situation  some people get pregnant before marriage. it is then better to marry the man that you pregnant for
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by eminemkayc: 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2008
have u considered the fact that the man could be infertile? so then what happens?
for me its wrong
BUT MOST MEN UNFORTUNATELY DONT THINK IN THIS DIRECTION!! THE ACCUSING FINGERS ARE ALWAYS POINTING AT THE WOMEN FOLK!
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by Gamine(f): 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2008
Is it Right?

R people this mentally retarded

Grow a Brain my dear poster
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by eminemkayc: 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2008
Is it Right?

R people this mentally retarded

Grow a Brain my dear poster
SWEET HEART ARE You TRYING TO DIS ME? PLS DONT BE INSOLENT BEFORE I VERBALLY RIDICULE YOU!

Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by getahead: 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2008
I think it depends on the couple and how open they are about the direction the relationship is going in, although there are no guarantees in life. Trsu is of the utmost importance otherwise tears and single parenthood are inevitable.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by lucabrasi(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2008
i think it depends on the two individuals involved,if they feel that strongly about each other then why not,there were a lot of taboos that we wouldnt dream of doing before but exposure to the western way of doing things has changed our perceptions, for instance a girl wouldnt dream of being a live in lover in nigeria because she ll be like the guy has not paid her bride price but now things are diffrent,people live together and have one or two kids and get married when they r ready, i think situations are as serious as we take it really for me whatever happens,happens if a chick im planning to settle down with gets pregnant,then so be it

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by SENATORJD(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2008
@gamine love take it easy ok?
the poster just wants to be sure about it.

eminemkayc:

BUT MOST MEN UNFORTUNATELY DONT THINK IN THIS DIRECTION!! THE ACCUSING FINGERS ARE ALWAYS POINTING AT THE WOMEN FOLK!

which is totally wrong an unfair on the feminine gender
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by bebure(m): 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2008
Well, I'm not going to criticise women who get pregnant before marriage as being immoral or what not. Afterall it takes two to tango. However, I think it is important that a child grows up in a home where both parents are present (not neccessarily married but at least together). You look at what happens (especially) in the black communities in the U.K. and the U.S where a child is raised by one parent. It hardly ends up well (19 stabbings in London this year!!!). I'm not saying kids can't make something out of themselves in a single parent household, (I was raised by a single mother though this was due to the death of my dad when i was young) but they have a better shot when both parents are involved in their lives.
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by coolier(f): 6:34pm On Jul 10, 2008
eminemkayc:

In our modern society, its now normal to find most Nigerian men insisting on their partners getting pregnant before marriage! this practice, however, is grotesque when compared with the norms practiced by our parents of old. Most men argue that they are not sure of the lady they are about taking into their homes, so the litmus test must first be carried out on her to ensure her fertility! however, others (especially the religious heads) have thrown counter argument saying that the practice is contrary to the content of religious books. so everybody, what do u think?

If the couple are not slated to be married in an Anglican church(cause they frown against that nowadays), or are born again christians(they also say no to sex before marriage), I would say get pregnant before marriage. Sometimes the excitement of the whole celebration, the reality of change and stress of marital life prevents some brides at times from getting pregnant immediately.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by CH3COO(m): 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
Oh God no. It is an abominable taboo. Completely unacceptable. It violates the principles of ethics and morality that Nigerians hold dear.
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by MsMolina(f): 6:17pm On Jul 28, 2008
well all i have to say about that is, it may not be right to get pregnant before marriage but technically its not right to have sex before marriage either, undecided if the couple are already having sex then they are doing the "wrong thing" so to get pregnant before marriage or to have sex before marriage to me, theres not much difference. any way i will leave it at that.
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by bigfather(m): 9:01pm On Jul 28, 2008
Don't see anything wrong with it !
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by dadahgirl: 11:18pm On Jul 28, 2008
The best possible outcome is for a child to be born into a family where both the mother and the father are sure they want to be in the relationship for better or worse and are married. It provides security both emotional and financial for the child. However, accidents do happen and if the child is born out of wedlock, what can you do but to provide the best care for the child regardless of the situation.
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by earlalright(m): 10:15am On Jan 27, 2016
I was hosted on a radio show yesterday on this same topic. I salute all those who kick against it. follow me on twitter or IG with @AlrightsPassion where I treat issues like this too
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by tpiaobsession: 4:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
well, I can judge those who do so but I dont see why I should.

how exactly does it concern me?

People are engaging in premarital sex you mean? What exactly is the grouse being examined?
Re: Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Before Marriage? by phonematter: 5:33pm On Jan 27, 2016
^ how are you doing?

cheers.

(1) (Reply)

Black Igbo Month Dr Felix Oragwu Who Invented The Famous Biafra Mass Killer Bomb / BRT/LagBus ADVERTISING IN LAGOS, NIGERIA / Ram Fight Event @ Sango Ota,ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.