Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,025 members, 7,821,564 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? (14832 Views)

Monopoly Products In The Nigerian Food Market / Nigerian Food (Pictures Only) / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 26, 2013
ballabriggs:

Some of the arguments with identitying a countries exports can be seen in trade under NAFTA between US and Mexico. If someone exports a shirt to the US from Mexico, we say it is a Mexican export and it moves without barriers. However this shirts could have been partly finished in China and only the buttons fixed in Mexico.

Do we still then say it is a Mexican export? Do we say it us a Chinese export?

These are issues that are subject to never ending debates in the globalisation and trade literature. We can go on and on arguing this and we will never get definite answers to some of these questions as economists.

This is even a straightforward case, there are more complex cases with identitying exports from a country.

If you want more read on this, refer to Krugman's, International Economics: theory and policy, to have a better understanding.

There is nothing complex about it. If the country makes earnings from it while selling/transferring it to another country, it is an EXPORT. In your example, if money exchanged hands between china and Mexico, it is a chinese export to Mexico. The finished product is a Mexican EXPORT to the US.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 9:04am On Oct 26, 2013
A-town:

There is nothing complex about it. If the country makes earnings from it while selling/transferring it to another country, it is an EXPORT. In your example, if money exchanged hands between china and Mexico, it is a chinese export to Mexico. The finished product is a Mexican EXPORT to the US.

lol you actually think it is that simple.

Do you actually think the US will accept it as a Mexican export?

What I've just given you is an example of the issues with NAFTA.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Sike(m): 9:27am On Oct 26, 2013
And Who tell una say GARRI IJEBU no Popular?!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nuzo1(m): 10:06am On Oct 26, 2013
I'm leaning towards Rossisk's point on this one.

In industry, commerce and internationl trade.... its the standard procedure to classify any finished or unfinished product being exported from a particular country as the country's product.
The only difference is that its either a foreign owned company or an indigenous company.

To buttress this point more, I've been opportune to visit a couple of Japanese, Korean and American electronic and mobile phone companies in China. My interaction with them was that as tho' those companies are not indigenously owned by China...its treated as one. All "American" products including Apple products made in China are treated as Chinese products and thereby thoroughly vetted at the border by the American standard organisation to make sure it meets the required specification and standard.

There was another instance where an American sport wear company owned by a friend of mine had his clothes shipped back to China for falling short of the required standard expected of his clothes.

All these are American company yet their products are clearly treated as Chinese export?

And someone mentioned a American company exporting and unfinished goods from China to Mexico for finishing then exporting it to USA as a finished product.
Its still regarded as China export as an unfinished good...then a Mexican exports as a finished good.

Afam is simply worried we have less indigenous globally marketble brands. I feel his pains too.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nuzo1(m): 10:10am On Oct 26, 2013
@Topic

1. Nigerian indigenous foods are not healthy for consumption. It contains a lot starch, carbohydrate and fat.

2. They smell awful (especially when ogiri is added) for new comers.

3. Nigerians are very good in integrating into other peoples' cultures and therefore lacks the needs to identify or popularize their own wherever they find themselves in. I.e A third generation Somali/Ethiopian/Italian/Chinese American living in America knows more about his culture than his host country. While even a first generation Nigerian cannot even speak his Nigerian language even before he left Nigeria 3 years ago....imagine what his children and grand children will turn out to be.

4. Most Nigerian food are not nutritious.

5. Most Nigerian food are hard to prepare.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by abysirius(m): 10:15am On Oct 26, 2013
To me, Chinese dishes are overrated! It's just hype.

I remember last year December. It was our end of the year lunch party at d office and my Chairman decided that we order for Chinese rice. I couldn't even wait for it to come all becos of what my Frnd has told me. But alas! Its taste was neither here nor there. It's just there! Another kinda of food with nothing special. I think the probs is with nigerians all wanting to feel foreign. We easily embrace anythin frm Oyinbo pple. Just my thought anyway...
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by cocoduck: 11:01am On Oct 26, 2013
abysirius: To me, Chinese dishes are overrated! It's just hype.

I remember last year December. It was our end of the year lunch party at d office and my Chairman decided that we order for Chinese rice. I couldn't even wait for it to come all becos of what my Frnd has told me. But alas! Its taste was neither here nor there. It's just there! Another kinda of food with nothing special. I think the probs is with nigerians all wanting to feel foreign. We easily embrace anythin frm Oyinbo pple. Just my thought anyway...

bross na True talk. I know one Canadian man. that man love garri and ogbono and bitter leaf soup like die. e dey drink garri like water. even me come tell am say garri dey make pesin blind you know in reply? no be today I begin here am. I was like wtf

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by cocoduck: 11:04am On Oct 26, 2013
Nuzo':
@Topic

1. Nigerian indigenous foods are not healthy for consumption. It contains a lot starch, carbohydrate and fat.

2. They smell awful (especially when ogiri is added) for new comers.

3. Nigerians are very good in integrating into other peoples' cultures and therefore lacks the needs to identify or popularize their own wherever they find themselves in. I.e A third generation Somali/Ethiopian/Italian/Chinese American living in America knows more about his culture than his host country. While even a first generation Nigerian cannot even speak his Nigerian language even before he left Nigeria 3 years ago....imagine what his children and grand children will turn out to be.

4. Most Nigerian food are not nutritious.

5. Most Nigerian food are hard to prepare.

If I believe any of these rubbish you just typed I can as well believe that pigs can fly.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nuzo1(m): 11:13am On Oct 26, 2013
cocoduck:

If I believe any of these rubbish you just typed I can as well believe that pigs can fly.

No no no.

You don't have to stress yourself to believe anything I say...its just my own opinion. I'm sure you have yours.

Cheers! cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 26, 2013
ballabriggs:

lol you actually think it is that simple.

Do you actually think the US will accept it as a Mexican export?

What I've just given you is an example of the issues with NAFTA.
It is that simple. You don't need to bring NAFTA into it. As far as a country is concerned, goods they ship outside their shores are EXPORTS. Whether another country tags them as imports under a free trade alliance for the purposes of reducing/increasing duties is that countrys cup of tea. For purposes of computing trade surpluses and defeceits btw two countries, the stuff we are arguing about here falls under EXPORTS. Q.E.D.
Shit its freekn tough typing on a cellphone

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by cocoduck: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nuzo':

No no no.

You don't have to stress yourself to believe anything I say...its just my own opinion. I'm sure you have yours.

Cheers! cheesy
This opinion of yours is a product of a typical nigerian mentality. everything foreign is better than everything local. if you don't like the smell of ogiri others do. don't impose your myopic opinion on them or you are just a booty scratcher.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
racism. not too many white people want to eat food cooked by a black person http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23248503

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Oluabayomi1(m): 3:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mamacita007: For example, our fried rice is just like regular Chinese combination rice with peas, green beans & minced meat

Hispanics eat fried plantain, beans & rice like us

we use fresh ingredients & vegetables too

we can make our food either spicy or non spicy

naija food is not expensive

why is our food not so popular like others?
our food is popular only dt we are not contented wt wht God gave us.
LONGER THROAT IS OUR PROBLEM
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nuzo1(m): 5:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
cocoduck:
This opinion of yours is a product of a typical nigerian mentality. everything foreign is better than everything local. if you don't like the smell of ogiri others do. don't impose your myopic opinion on them or you are just a booty scratcher.

Why are you tearing your soul apart cos of my opinion which I formed through experience, documentaries and research?

A Nairalander posed a question here, everyone gave their opinion...but as soon as I gave mine, you started calling me names instead of countering my points.
Who now has the so called typical Nigerian mentality?

Listen bro, I'm not that kind of person to be blackmailed into lying just to massage some patriotic ego.

Nigerian cusine is my favorite, but truth is that its not internationally appealing for some reasons. I already gave the reasons and I stand by it until any nutritionist and food scientist proves me otherwise.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by silica(m): 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan:
That's what I'm saying. There aren't many small Nigerian restaurants in the U.S. either. I don't blame our people to much sha, because here in Southern California, one has to pony up close to $10,000 to set up a decent restaurant, due to the taxes, utility bills and supplies.

i didnt know its that cheap to set up a restaurant in California. if you have the market and the managerial proficiency, i think $10,000 is a small amount to start a good business. but maybe its because am in Nigeria and not in the US, and such amount may appear small. But please get in touch with me, if u are serious and lets talk business.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Mamacita007(f): 7:40pm On Oct 26, 2013
silica: But please get in touch with me, if u are serious and lets talk business.

Cfcfan don hammer!!!!!!! grin grin God is great
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
silica:

i didnt know its that cheap to set up a restaurant in California. if you have the market and the managerial proficiency, i think $10,000 is a small amount to start a good business. but maybe its because am in Nigeria and not in the US, and such amount may appear small. But please get in touch with me, if u are serious and lets talk business.

10, 000 won't start nada ooooo. No gok urself
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by emmabest2000(m): 10:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
kekakuz: the chinese are about 2 billion and chinese is chinese
but naija get over 300 language yet you want our food to be as international as theirs,

take note maurice
from now on, chao mein in my main chao
Point of correction , Chinese has more than 1000 languages if you don't know grin who told you that Chinese is Chinese
@top We don't have much good restaurants outside Nigeria , maybe that's one of the reasons . tongue
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
[size=24pt] This Trend has been closed [/size]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
Idrismusty97: [size=24pt] This Tread has been closed [/size]

This boy where you see tread undecided. Grow up! U were born in 1997, does that halt u from being matured?

Tread ko, needle nii..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Amefrica:

This boy where you see tread undecided. Grow up! U were born in 1997, does that halt u from being matured?

Tread ko, needle nii..
Lol,where did i wrote tread.Change your chiko phone
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
Idrismusty97: Lol,where did i wrote write tread.Change your chiko phone

You may want to modify this too.. undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2013
Amefrica:

Whatever
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
Idrismusty97: Whatever

tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by olarwarlay(m): 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
Idrismusty97: [size=24pt] This Trend has been closed [/size]

Amefrica:

Tread ko, needle nii..

Idrismusty97: Lol,where did i wrote tread.Change your chiko phone

Amefrica:

Idrismusty97: Whatever

You guys got me laughing real hard.... cheesy cheesy

@Idrismusty97 - I take it that you don't know how to modify your post 'coz you sure could have done that already. cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
Amefrica:

tongue
Lol.Thanks for the correction anyway grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
olarwarlay:
You guys got me laughing real hard.... cheesy cheesy

@Idrismusty97 - I take it that you don't know how to modify your post 'coz you sure could have done that already. cheesy cheesy

Hey bro! grin grin There some fresh air in here.. Jez catching fun!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by olarwarlay(m): 11:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
Amefrica:

Hey bro! grin grin There some fresh air in here.. Jez catching fun!

I can see you really catching it.... Enjoy jare my brother. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Idrismusty97: Lol.Thanks for the correction anyway grin

cheesy No qualms! Nobody is an island..

Cheers!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
olarwarlay:

I can see you really catching it.... Enjoy jare my brother. wink

smiley You never sama me ur safety pin oo. I dey wait! cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by MisterG: 3:01am On Oct 27, 2013
ballabriggs:

You also have Nigerian restaurants like those ones. The question is, how popular is an Ethiopian dish?

Actually, it is pretty chic place to venture in some parts of Los Angeles, and the Ethiopians pretty much help fixed a area called "U" street in Washington DC, which was crack infested and very ghetto area, by adding their businesses and know how, and now it is a vibrant area of DC. Many of my White colleague do venture to Ethiopia cuisine, and they loved their vegetarian dishes, also when i visited places such as Oakland and Seattle, i had seen many Ethiopian restauants, and other businesses.
He is some videos for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYNwvUAKLOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgr-O2Z2rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgylrEi6yk
this is chinese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01SEHqyFrIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC33zUTEerU
Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tmLh4Nrhw
Hell it was even on the American cartoon the Simpson.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by MisterG: 3:23am On Oct 27, 2013
silica:

If you are really serious and not BSing, since i live in California i can check for you. If you are serious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Times Do You Eat In A Day? / Melon (egwusi) Peeling Machine--- Newly Constructed / Does Habib Yoghurt Make You Lose Weight?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.