Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? (43646 Views)

A Car With Ankara Paint / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? / What Happens To The Petrol In Your Car With Mechanics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by dgitrader(m): 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
I am hundreds of miles away from home, about to roundup and return on a journey of 8hrs early next morning by 7am.
My keys mistakenly locked inside my car,(2004accord>winkits radio is on but very low volume, its 8pm and no help in sight. What do i do? I ponder on two options......
1. Get panelbeaters by 8am to hack the door(risk drianing my battrry and leaving late too) or
2. Break the smallest glass window of the car and gain access?

Option 1 is most likely now as time is fast running out, but if u find urself in same condition,, what will your do??

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Originalsly: 5:59am On Oct 26, 2013
Depends on location, what is available and what is most economical. If any is nearby.... I'll first ask a crackhead for help...they usually have ways and means. If none around... I'll try to use like a screwdriver and whatever else will do to make a space at the top of the door then angle in wire or whatever to unlock the door from the inside. I did this successfully several times before and never had to go for another option. (Modified...on correction by Temodent ). Next option would be to break a window for access.....not the tiny ones.... most likely this would be wayyy less expensive than calling the professional lock smith.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Mecksmail: 8:23am On Oct 26, 2013
I had a similar problem two years ago. I climbed out of my 2003 camry to retrieve something from the boot with the engine still running & ac on. To my greatest surprise, after a few seconds the doors locked up. This occurred around 5pm. People suggested breaking the small rear window to gain access. I eventually opened the driver window after much attempts by forcing a metal coat hanger through the door edge hitting the window switch. I was stranded for 3 whole hours. I will never forget that experience.

11 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by doofanc: 9:17am On Oct 26, 2013
I have been in such situations b4 and its not funny at all. the remote system in my car is such dat it locks automatcally once key in d ignition.

i was travelling and stepped out to ease myself and left d door open but somehow, whether its breeze something, the door just shut while and locked. mmeen i weak no be small. everything was inside d car.

luckily i was able to get a pamel beater and can u blive it didnt take him more than 10 mimutes to disable the lock. i shock no be small.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by jodeci(m): 11:47am On Oct 26, 2013
I was in this situation a couple of weeks back what i did was to:

1:Look for a piece of flexible iron like rubber bucket or paint handle and straightened it.
2:I looked for a bar, or a strong metal with a small end.
3.I inserted the bar by the side of the front door from the Top,it was such a herculean task given that i was being careful not to break the glass
4.I applied force,and was able to create a little opening and then i tried to force the flexible iron (that's the bucket handle) through the opening,here is another challenge,the rubber strip around the door prevented the iron piece from going in.

I kept trying and eventually succeeded and i then push the iron toward the automatic unlock button drivers or passengers side,u will decide depending on the length of the rod.

i succeeded in locating the auto button on the drivers door and eureka the door opened and the alarm started its work,waking everyone around that neighborhood.

But i have the transponder key and i inserted it into the door and the blast stopped.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by elektra80: 11:50am On Oct 26, 2013
doofanc: I have been in such situations b4 and its not funny at all. the remote system in my car is such dat it locks automatcally once key in d ignition.

i was travelling and stepped out to ease myself and left d door open but somehow, whether its breeze something, the door just shut while and locked. mmeen i weak no be small. everything was inside d car.

luckily i was able to get a pamel beater and can u blive it didnt take him more than 10 mimutes to disable the lock. i shock no be small.

it is not normal for a door to lock itself when door is closed and key in the ignition. Either there's a problem with ur central lock system or u need to enter a code to disable auto lock(depending on the car type). Doors are often programmed to lock when u step on the brake to move the gear, or when u reach a certain speed. So my guy u need to get it fixed before the worse happens

10 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
I've been locked out of my old '01 Audi S8 Quattro. I had the engine running, and got out to open the trunk. Unfortunately, the driver's door started to swing shut, I leaned in through the half open window to stop it, and hit the lock button. It activated the Total Closure, which of course wound the window up!

So I was stuck with my car parked in a public car lot, and a running engine. I had a spare key at home, but leaving the car with the engine running wasn't an option. I had to call a close friend, who drove up in her car, and stayed with mine while I got a taxi home to grab the spare.

Just a word of caution here - for those giving write-ups on how they bust into their cars, using anything but the key, you're also giving tips to burglars on how to get into your car too! Caution is the keyword here, I would edit your posts.

10 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by chucky234(m): 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
Siena: I've been locked out of my old '01 Audi S8 Quattro. I had the engine running, and got out to open the trunk. Unfortunately, the driver's door started to swing shut, I leaned in through the half open window to stop it, and hit the lock button. It activated the Total Closure, which of course wound the window up!

So I was stuck with my car parked in a public car lot, and a running engine. I had a spare key at home, but leaving the car with the engine running wasn't an option. I had to call a close friend, who drove up in her car, and stayed with mine while I got a taxi home to grab the spare.

Just a word of caution here - for those giving write-ups on how they bust into their cars, using anything but the key, you're also giving tips to burglars on how to get into your car too! Caution is the keyword here, I would edit your posts.
Well said bro.
I'm always with my key whenever I step out of my car after witnessing what a friend of mine through the day his car was locked with the son inside,it wasnt funny at all.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by dgitrader(m): 4:21pm On Oct 27, 2013
Thanks all for your comments

I eventually got help. I left my key locked-in allnight, but very early in the morning a panelbeater came to do a ten munites job, got the car opened and luckily my battery was till perfect, despite having d radio on, allnight.
Its a big relieve.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by burkevalocks: 9:39pm On Feb 18, 2016
This thing tends to happen to a lot of people. I myself have been through numerous lockouts to date, and as such I have cultivated the habit of always having a backup plan to fall upon in times of need. There are many DIY tips that you can use to get back into your car when you're locked out.

However, one method that works best for me is having multiple spare keys that I can get from different locations. I keep a set at home and I keep one at work as well. You can never be too safe! In addition to these, my brother has a set of my spare keys and I have one of his, that way if I am ever locked out he can bring me my spare, and vice versa. Hope this helps you out in some way! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by brainbox1000(m): 2:26pm On Feb 19, 2016
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by dunkem21(m): 2:27pm On Feb 19, 2016
grin One of the reasons I bought Keke wink

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by grandstar(m): 2:28pm On Feb 19, 2016
nice to hear
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
This happens to almost every carowner.
The bucket handle/cloth hanger trick is the easiest and cheapest way.
Done it a few times

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by repogirl(f): 2:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
That is one of my greatest fears, so I never have.

But my neighbour once did, she even left the engine running. She had to contact a panel beater to open the door.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
I don't have a car yet but I know before the end of this year 2016, Almighty God will provide me with an elegant car. I wish everyone like me the same. Amen

44 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Lincoln275(m): 2:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
yes, it happened to me last two year
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by adenitemi: 2:30pm On Feb 19, 2016
Twice now grin

First time, had to find a panel beater who stuck a strong but thin rod inside and meticulously pushed it in till he was able to unlock from the lock buttons on the driver's side.

Second time, I had to watch this video posted below and used the technique! Easy Peasy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJzpaz0tmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJzpaz0tmw

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by beajjay(m): 2:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
Vote for this cute baby please, he needs your votes! https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details/703 Thanks.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by OKorowanta: 2:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
It has happen to me twice.
Don't even have a spare.
paid for it to be sorted out.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Plus234(m): 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
after 2yrs and 5months , and is making FP

4 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Toks2008(m): 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
Yeah i remember that happened to me and i just called a panel beater and the guy did one magic by getting the bonnet opened and from the fuss section in the engine,he opened the central lock system.

I was like O M G

2 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by femimike1(m): 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
Yea, happened to a friend 2times,
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by orlaryhincah(m): 2:33pm On Feb 19, 2016
Since 2013
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by ibkgab001: 2:33pm On Feb 19, 2016
No way
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by OgidiOlu3(m): 2:38pm On Feb 19, 2016
This post is just making FP since 2013? Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by FullDepth1: 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
All of Una just dey Teach THIEF how to steal una Car....

Welldone... Let the Window Hanger Style Begin...

Shioor...

LOL.. Mehn, i had to separate the key from the remote lock and put it in my wallet. I fear this Key Stuff. That reminds me, I need to get spare keys, Before i become a FP Topic.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by zurine(f): 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
interesting
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Lynpet: 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
Story story if you no no waiting you go do then breack the front grass mumu
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by midehi2(f): 2:40pm On Feb 19, 2016
doofanc:
I have been in such situations b4 and its not funny at all. the remote system in my car is such dat it locks automatcally once key in d ignition.

cheesy
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by donbrowser(m): 2:40pm On Feb 19, 2016
You wont know you have "burglar-ing" skills until you lock your key and exam permit inside on Exam morning.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Sijo01(f): 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
2013 thread just hitting fp cheesy is op key still locked inside the vehicle after 2years? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out This Weird Plate Number / FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.