Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,783 members, 7,824,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? (43660 Views)

A Car With Ankara Paint / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? / What Happens To The Petrol In Your Car With Mechanics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by 100Cents: 5:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
repogirl:
sue me.

Wait.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by temodent(m): 6:07pm On Feb 19, 2016
Originalsly:
Depends on location, what is available and what is most economical. If any is nearby.... I'll first ask a crackhead for help...they usually have ways and means. If none around... I'll try to use like a screwdriver and whatever else will do to make a space at the top of the door then angle in wire or whatever to unlock the door from the inside. I did this successfully several times before and never had to go for another option. My next option would be to break the small glass because I know that is readily available, easier to cover in case of bad weather, least expensive glass to break, least expensive and quickest to install and most likely would be wayyy less expensive than calling the professional lock smith.
good option but you are very wrong that small glass is more expensive and harder to find than the door glass. If you must break a glass break the door window cheaper and easier to replace.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Originalsly: 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2016
temodent:

good option but you are very wrong that small glass is more expensive and harder to find than the door glass. If you must break a glass break the door window cheaper and easier to replace.
Ouch!....couldn't you just say I am wrong?...why very wrong?!...in fact... on second thought.....you are very right...no ifs or buts ..and I was wrong....dead wrong!...thanks for the correction.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Bigtoto(f): 6:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
If the spare is far, call somebody close to it, take your phone close to the car and tell the person to press the unlock. Button
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by id4sho(m): 6:50pm On Feb 19, 2016
udmbat:
I don't have a car yet but I know before the end of this year 2016, Almighty God will provide me with an elegant car. I wish everyone like me the same. Amen
amen
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by ernecy(m): 6:51pm On Feb 19, 2016
I have lost count sef
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by id4sho(m): 6:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
I have experienced it before, it took me time to open it myself because my phone, handbag...everything was inside. I was also home alone.

After opening it that day, I don't think it can ever take me more than 10minutes to open any car again, if the right TOOLS are available.
African Barbie,i dey feel u
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Tats(m): 7:27pm On Feb 19, 2016
My car will not lock if the key is inside the car or boot. It has happened twice.
As for the boot, it will pop back open when I try to lock it if the key is inside like in a work bag in the boot.
If it's inside the car, the door will not lock.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by shumuel(m): 7:53pm On Feb 19, 2016
Op Next time, have someone at home to help pick up your spare key, then put a call through to you, ask him/her to press the Auto unlock key near the his/her phone while you place the phone near the door of your car, and see the car unlock.

I haven't tried this one but would soon. I think you can also record the sound while you press the Unlock key and save it on your phone, just in case, but note, i haven't tried it o.

Listen to D'banj ''Emergency'' grin
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by donem: 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2016
dunkem21:
grin One of the reasons I bought Keke wink
U be drunk o...
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by donem: 9:02pm On Feb 19, 2016
Bigtoto:
If the spare is far, call somebody close to it, take your phone close to the car and tell the person to press the unlock. Button
No offence this shiiit don't work, don't recommend what u heard, but what uve tried.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by barcaboi(m): 9:08pm On Feb 19, 2016
chec YouTube. ....I opened my car without anyone's help.....yoo me some time 2 get it but I did get it....and deres a way u can open d boot and from dere gain access into d car thru d backseat
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 19, 2016
Mine was really bad. 3 months after I bought my car, I went to Sunta beach along badagry road. Got to the beach after a long hour drive, locked my keys inside withthe car still on. I screamed. All the people with me where sad but I maintained my composure. I spoke withs man anf he called a mechanic. I didn't want the purpose for our trip to be defeated. I played in the water, drank, cracked jokes but the others where thinking. I ignored them some of them said they hve not seena person like me. Playing while my car was still on. approximately, 1hour 30min, the mechanic came. Negotiated the cost. My last 2k with me I gave him and he opened it through the window. It was more of my attitude towards the negative situation.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by tunesoft(m): 10:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
H mnnn...n.a. this same method them they use steal cars . Ova oo
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by chijioke17(m): 10:48pm On Feb 19, 2016
get a tennis ball, bore a small hole into it, then place d hole part f the tennis on the key holeof d door,den use a high amt of pressure to hit d ball, it wl force d lock open
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Bigtoto(f): 1:04am On Feb 20, 2016
donem:

No offence this shiiit don't work, don't recommend what u heard, but what uve tried.

oya break your 'windscreen ' and pass thru there to grab your key.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by olisaEze(m): 8:01am On Feb 20, 2016
I once locked my self out of my car on d street late one Friday nite. I called friends dt gave me phone nmbrs of 2panel-beaters, but non agreed 2come inspite of all my monetary promises, one told me he was drunk, the other said it was too late 4his wife 2let him leave d house. In desperation I called my mechanic, who rushed down. He ended up destroying my door handle, but still ddnt open d door. A friend finally came with a wire clothe hanger, and with a considerable crowd of onlookers, I managed 2open d door but d key was no where in d car. It had been in my back pocket throughout.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by donem: 8:33am On Feb 20, 2016
Bigtoto:
oya break your 'windscreen ' and pass thru there to grab your key.
No need for that, I teleport into my vehicle, my wizardry in that field is next to none.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by murmee: 9:02am On Feb 20, 2016
castroevans:
Happened to me twice, had no time to take my car to the car wash so I decided to do it myself. After washing the car I forgot my key inside, don't know what happened my car locked automatically
I called a friend of mine who apparently was pretty good at it cus he fell victim to such on daily basis...
Now here is what I learnt to avoid bin stuck but at your risk. I removed my plate number and hid the spare key behind it, used the bolt to tighten it. Whenever such happen u know what's next...
Very risky. Especially now that you have broadcast it on Nairaland. That is the first place car thieves will now search. We have to remember that thieves/armed robbers are not exactly illiterates. They also log on to the internet to read and update.their craft.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by murmee: 9:11am On Feb 20, 2016
Tats:
My car will not lock if the key is inside the car or boot. It has happened twice.
As for the boot, it will pop back open when I try to lock it if the key is inside like in a work bag in the boot.
If it's inside the car, the door will not lock.
That is the type of car I have and I feel all cars should be made like that.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 20, 2016
Lol, I will device another means... smiley
murmee:
Very risky. Especially now that you have broadcast it on Nairaland. That is the first place car thieves will now search. We have to remember that thieves/armed robbers are not exactly illiterates. They also log on to the internet to read and update.their craft.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by hardbody: 1:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
Originalsly:
Depends on location, what is available and what is most economical. If any is nearby.... I'll first ask a crackhead for help...they usually have ways and means. If none around... I'll try to use like a screwdriver and whatever else will do to make a space at the top of the door then angle in wire or whatever to unlock the door from the inside. I did this successfully several times before and never had to go for another option. My next option would be to break the small glass because I know that is readily available, easier to cover in case of bad weather, least expensive glass to break, least expensive and quickest to install and most likely would be wayyy less expensive than calling the professional lock smith.

I buy into this. Great stuff.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by hardbody: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
olisaEze:
I once locked my self out of my car on d street late one Friday nite. I called friends dt gave me phone nmbrs of 2panel-beaters, but non agreed 2come inspite of all my monetary promises, one told me he was drunk, the other said it was too late 4his wife 2let him leave d house. In desperation I called my mechanic, who rushed down. He ended up destroying my door handle, but still ddnt open d door. A friend finally came with a wire clothe hanger, and with a considerable crowd of onlookers, I managed 2open d door but d key was no where in d car. It had been in my back pocket throughout.

Jeeez.....You were more drunk than your panel beater then.....

I will hate myself if this did happen to me.

Anyways, i always try not to forget. The last i experienced it, i was in faraway Epe Resort. The facility managers brought in a panel beater and he opened it and collected N2k. In this instance, i dropped the key in the vehicle and jammed all the doors.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by murmee: 3:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
olisaEze:
I will not employ someone like you to work in my company even if you offer to work without payment.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Originalsly: 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
hardbody:

I buy into this. Great stuff.
...don't buy the small window stuff!... was corrected on that...large window is really easier and cheaper to replace.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 20, 2016
Greatidonis:
Some of you guys are using outdated cars, modern and state of the art rides don't lock if the key is inside. It will give you a funny alarm. Unless it's on the move and your inside.

This only applies if the car has a smart key. You can buy a 2017 model without a smart key. In this case, the key CAN be locked in the he car.

In the same way, you can buy a 2003 Audi A8 with Advanced Key, which can NOT be locked in the car.

So it's nothing to do with using an "outdated car", it all depends on what options the car is fitted with.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by odeyinugbolahan(m): 8:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
I was a victim of that few days! I went to a big market in ibadan to purchase something. Just few minutes later the next shop owner summon me to move my car to give way for his customer to leave, I checked my pocket for my key car to discover that I left it in the ignition.

You know how women do behave, she started shouting "find a way to move this car cos my children are waiting for me in the school" we tried all to retrieve the key by trying to make little way btw the door but all prove abortive.
I then estimate the cost and time to rush back home to pick my spare key and breaking a glass,n I just fly bike home some 20km away.
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
chijioke17:
get a tennis ball, bore a small hole into it, then place d hole part f the tennis on the key holeof d door,den use a high amt of pressure to hit d ball, it wl force d lock open

This old wives tale has been around since the 1980's, back when lots of cars had vacuum pumps for central locking. This tennis ball garbage didn't work in 1978, it certainly doesn't work in 2016.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 20, 2016
For those posting how they managed to bust into their cars, using anything but the key, and stating where they actually hide the spare...

...do these posters realise how dumb this makes them? Next your cars will get boosted using the details you yourselves provided, then you'll all come whining on Nairaland, when in actual fact your loss was richly deserved.

If you guys had brains, you'd be dangerous.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Blankstare(m): 12:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lol,shey oti mu alomo yo ni?
olisaEze:
Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by olisaEze(m): 2:32pm On Feb 21, 2016
murmee:
I will not employ someone like you to work in my company even if you offer to work without payment.
I work for myself tongue

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 23, 2016
Siena, I believe there are better ways to put ur opinion than using foul languages. if u wanna correct someone then do that wisely and not foolishly. Some of them shared their past experiences and that shouldn't give u the right to use the dumb language. U just showed me how myopic u are.
Siena:
For those posting how they managed to bust into their cars, using anything but the key, and stating where they actually hide the spare...

...do these posters realise how dumb this makes them? Next your cars will get boosted using the details you yourselves provided, then you'll all come whining on Nairaland, when in actual fact your loss was richly deserved.

If you guys had brains, you'd be dangerous.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.