Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Defend Your Programming Language - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Defend Your Programming Language (16353 Views)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Defend Your Programming Language by logica(m): 4:38pm On Nov 22, 2009
Yes Google's standard programming languages are Python and Java. Python for its strength in string manipulation. But I have pointed out that Python like Java actually compiles into byte-code, and could also have JIT compilers. So where does that leave us?
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 22, 2009
u make sense, abeg make we kill this thread jo,
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 1:42pm On Nov 23, 2009
lol. so u finally give up
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by mavenbox: 2:24pm On Nov 23, 2009
@candylips: as an aside, I see that you are in love with calculus. Can you integrate e^(x^2) i.e. e raised to x-squared, without any limits (indefinite integral)? It is a highly interesting integral if you may.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 8:57pm On Nov 23, 2009
@mavenbox

Nice one Mavenbox.

The function your provided ex2 is actually a standard error function called a Gauss Error function which has a standard definition of

error func(x) = 2/√π ∫ e x2 dx

Yea the integral is interesting. I know for example that you normally use this error function in calculating the normal distribution of a dataset.

am not sure if you are into C++ but there is actually a function to calculate this called erf()

btw are you into applied maths.  wink
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by mavenbox: 2:05am On Nov 24, 2009
@candylips:

LOL, Im not into applied Maths, Im an Engineer but I have always been in love with Maths! A crazy Maths ardent (a senior student) in high school gave me the integral to solve when I was in senior high 1. I attacked it like a wolf in winter! LOL

No i dont do C++, Im playing around with C# anyway!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Kobojunkie: 3:31am On Nov 24, 2009
webdezzi:

copied from that same page
you can also check out google's webapp framework here http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/webapp/
webapp also runs on appengine
the bottom line of this is that
while some languages may save milliseconds following benchmark results, it is up to you as a developer to skim through languages and see which one will work for the project and you.
dont tie yourself down to a language even when what matters to you most isn't present.

Doesn’t this go against what you have been saying all this while about the supposed power of Php?

webdezzi:

Like i always tell my students, dont let what you read here and there dictate for you (including benchmark images) rather, take them along with you, do your own findings. then decide. that's what friedrich, a C++ guy from United Space Alliance did here http://www.python.org/about/success/usa/
Are we now comparing Python with Php?
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 11:57am On Nov 24, 2009
mavenbox:

@candylips:

LOL, Im not into applied Maths, Im an Engineer but I have always been in love with Maths! A crazy Maths ardent (a senior student) in high school gave me the integral to solve when I was in senior high 1. I attacked it like a wolf in winter! LOL

No i dont do C++, Im playing around with C# anyway!

hahaha he most have had a laugh because that integral can't be solved. Am sure you tried integration by substitution and u kept on ending up with a solution that required to be integrated over and over again.  cheesy

If you love maths you need to try play with C++. You find the best Maths api in there
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Ghenghis(m): 1:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
candylips:

, with C++. You find the best Maths api in there

FORTRAN
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by logica(m): 1:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
mavenbox:

A crazy Maths ardent (a senior student) in high school gave me the integral to solve when I was in senior high 1.
OK, I hope I'm not the "crazy Math loving senior" and I'm glad you love Math, but can we stick to the script please?
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2009
Ghenghis:

FORTRAN

lol maybe i should have said one of the best  smiley.

You are right about Fortran having some of the best maths api out there  but some other people will argue that Mathematia or Mathlab are the better .

it think the decision boils down to which domain/industry you are working on and what  the industrial standard languague is there

In the industry i work in Master C++ coders are hot like fire and earn rockstar salaries, Fortran is used more for legacy systems while Mathlab is used for prototyping mathematical models which are latter translated into C++ code

logica:

OK, I hope I'm not the "crazy Math loving senior" and I'm glad you love Math, but can we stick to the script please?

yea i have tie back her question to programming.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by logica(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2009
candylips:

You are right about Fortran having some of the best maths api out there  but some other people will argue that Mathematia or Mathlab are the better .
I think the continued talk of the superiority of FORTRAN is based on past glory.

candylips:

yea i have tie back her question to programming.
I think she's a he. May have gotten his profile info wrong (which may just tell you a bit about the person).
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Doesn’t this go against what you have been saying all this while about the supposed power of Php?
Are we now comparing Python with Php?

dont get me wrong, i am not for php alone, but i can still state it that, with php and maybe the aid of flash, AS, i haven't seen that thing which cannot be solved outside java.
it all boils down to how much experience you have with php, same may apply to other languages
and i still maintain my point, they are all nothing but languages

logica:

I think the continued talk of the superiority of FORTRAN is based on past glory.
I think she's a he. May have gotten his profile info wrong (which may just tell you a bit about the person).
i guess thats why she is gaining more attention than yawa these day, Opps! i mean he
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2009
logica:

yes this is very true. But fortran still remains a very important language for maintaining legacy code.

These days people use more of a mixture of mathlab and C/C++
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Ghenghis(m): 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2009
logica:

I'm sure the maths of 50 years ago is still quite applicable today, the same cannot be said for a programming.
The math libraries that were developed when FORTRAN was the only scientific programming language are huge!
(remember this was when there was the space race including all sorts of scientific drives that bough computing into the mainstream)

Even the mighty C++ cannot claim the kind of exclusive attention FORTRAN got in those days, the math libraries are still as valid as they were 30years ago(minus programming bugs)

While, I myself wont develop any new app in FORTRAN (if i had a choice) its good to appreciate the history behind the language. People might be talking this way about Java, C# or Python the same way 20years from now.

FORTRAN is a giant, on who's shoulder many new languages sit , cheesy
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by mavenbox: 1:50am On Nov 25, 2009
@logica: No, you're not the ardent math fan. Have we even met? undecided Im definite we haven't.
logica:

*yawn*

@webdezzi:
webdezzi:

i guess thats why she is gaining more attention than yawa these day, Opps! i mean he
shocked shocked shocked
In case you didn't notice, maybe it's because I spend most of my Nairaland time on the religion boards.

@logica/webdezzi: Chauvinist male programmers alert! undecided tongue

@candylips:
hahaha he most have had a laugh because that integral can't be solved. Am sure you tried integration by substitution and u kept on ending up with a solution that required to be integrated over and over again.
LMAO That was what happened!

@Topic:
I think I agree with Ghenghis, having worked with FORTRAN in junior high, MathCAD and MATLAB in college. The Math libraries in FORTRAN 90/95 (most of the FORTRAN 77 libraries will be coughing up bugs like dust, i presume) are exhaustive, and powerful still! But the major point where FORTRAN bowed out to MATLAB, by my experience, was dealing with huge multidimensional arrays. It fell like a pack of cards. LOL!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by logica(m): 6:47am On Nov 25, 2009
I make no apologies for being a chauvinist, just as I make none for being "proud no be small". Just stick to the script.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Nobody: 8:52am On Nov 25, 2009
mavenbox:

@logica/webdezzi: Chauvinist male programmers alert! undecided tongue

sweetheart, thats ur cup of tea.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 1:42pm On Nov 25, 2009
Ghenghis:

I'm sure the maths of 50 years ago is still quite applicable today, the same cannot be said for a programming.
The math libraries that were developed when FORTRAN was the only scientific programming language are huge!
(remember this was when there was the space race including all sorts of scientific drives that bough computing into the mainstream)

This is like the same argument we are having about PHP vs Java/C++. old lang vs newer lang

The Maths API in Fortan can be a very low level at times while some of the math API's in C++ are abstracted at a higher level such that you just need to call a method to solve a problem while you might have to code this solution yourself in fortran
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by lightwalk(m): 10:29pm On Dec 02, 2009
Ha: All these guy are programmers. Candylips wink Has anyone tried F#. I heard it's very good for computation
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by ndirpaya1: 11:04pm On Dec 07, 2009
as for me the power of programming lies not in the language but in the ability of these languages to produce an efficient programmer. my father has never created a programming language neither is he a shareholder. ut basically all it entails is the efficiency of the programmer in exhausting the avilble resources every platform gives.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by BinAffan: 9:15pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hello please, am a young programmer with the mind to know programing as much as i can .that VB.NET u are talking about i have been hearing alone but i don't how the the thing looks like .please can make that i attached my self online to know more about this programming.thanks and take care
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Cockyzy(m): 9:53pm On Dec 10, 2009
For me,anything is possible as far you are determined.what the big deal being a defender of a language you never created.anyway sha,am new to programming world nevertheless,am defensive of C Then with time,C#,C++,pascal,cobol,fortran,java,D++,VB.NET ALL go follow.i love living the programiscious life.haha!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Kpac(m): 3:15pm On Dec 12, 2009
I NEED A TUTORIAL ON VB.NET FOR 2 WEEKS AND I'LL PAY THE BILLS.

WE MIGHT EVEN PATNER FOR FUTURE PROJECTS

PLS CALL 08060575600
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Uzosystem(m): 8:30am On Dec 21, 2009
Just before defending your favourite programing language, it's worth knowing that programing language designers designed them with something in their mind. Sun didn't design Java while C++ is there because they are so idle or that they wanted to compete. Knowing this may not necessitate an argument over which one is superior. The stuff could be knowing the category of programing (e.g system, desktop or web programing) you want to fall into and picking the best tool for it. Though some languages tend to be superior to others (Java falls into this category smiley).
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Grizzly(m): 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2010
JEEZ!!
i've been learning c++ since the beginning of this year,
and i must say its been great
But just as i'm about to settle in, i read some comments here and i must say i feel the first pangs of discouragement undecided undecided
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 4:37pm On Jan 19, 2010
@Grizzly

Don't be discouraged . C++ is a very good lang to learn. master it and you will control the world  wink
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by ilosiwaju: 7:44pm On Jan 22, 2010
I started life with qbasic, moved t fortran and stepped up. am an scjp now but i am still kinda obsessed with c++ i dont program with it much these days cos php is paying some bills grin
it's just a powerful language, ask some operating systems and some IDEs, upon all my java, .net hype, nothing to me o, beats c++ for speed and power.
grin grin grin
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by gongoaso1: 1:33pm On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 5:24pm On Jun 24, 2011
hmm
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by truthtalk: 12:41am On Jul 01, 2011
Ooops!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by ginas: 9:44pm On Jul 02, 2011
nobody need argue about what programming language is the best. the question is the one you know , how much does it put in your pocket, monthly, quarterly, and yearly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Learn How To Build A Desktop Software Using PYTHON – Tutorial On Nairaland / What Language Do I Need To Learn For Software Development? / Funny Source Code Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.