Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Operation Prove Your Programming Skills - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills (4937 Views)

Nigerian Software Engineer given test to prove he is an engineer at JFK Airport / New Horizons Vs Hiit Vs Aptech - For Web Development & Programming Skills / Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 8:53am On Feb 26, 2016
Due to the fact that I don't have anything doing for sometimes now and due to thethe e-wars, e-bashing and e-i_sabi_pass_you that has been happening in our hood here programming (though topics are maybe forbidden to reach FP ) grin grin

1. I want a desktop app that will act like an AI. Anytime I paste anything on my desktop it should move it to the appropriate folders. based on its extension. I have these folders (types)

I want a clean desktop with only those folders.

Musics
- mp3
- wav
- avi

Pictures
- jpg/jpeg
- png
- gif

Videos
- mp4
- mov
- flv

Custom extension
Let me say I work with AutoCAD which has .dwg as its extension, your app should allow me to create my own extension to work just like the above extensions.

Others
For the ones the robot didn't recognize.

OOP should be strongly used. Let it get muscle please. wink

You can add other features o. It might not necessary be in GUI, cmd too is allow.

Well, we can vote for people by just liking their posts (you post the link to your codes/exe/zip/github or anything).
Posts that got shares na baba.

Please this is not really a competition but rather a challenge (what's the difference self lols). You can use any language of your choice. We must see your codes either use pastebin or github. This will help improve our programming skills and we gonna know the quack programmers, the guru (everyone is) and the ones that only have mouth-compilers alone. Please post the link and maybe screen shots to back it up.

Pardon my English oo. (English/Programming lecturers)

Duration : a week (for the ones that take comment seriously lols)

Disclaimer : No reward for the highest vote and for the lowest, I pray you're encouraged grin. Please me too I am a learner o, maybe this is a style to learn from you guys. wink wink

Start Date :February 26, 2016.
End Date: March 04, 2016.

Other people can post challenge as well, the poster will manage his duration and question.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by larisoft: 11:23am On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:
Due to the fact that I don't have anything doing for sometimes now and due to thethe e-wars, e-bashing and e-i_sabi_pass_you that has been happening in our hood here programming (though topics are maybe forbidden to reach FP ) grin grin

1. I want a desktop app that will act like an AI. Anytime I paste anything on my desktop it should move it to the appropriate folders. based on its extension. I have these folders (types)

I want a clean desktop with only those folders.

Musics
- mp3
- wav
- avi

Pictures
- jpg/jpeg
- png
- gif

Videos
- mp4
- mov
- flv

Custom extension
Let me say I work with AutoCAD which has .dwg as its extension, your app should allow me to create my own extension to work just like the above extensions.

Others
For the ones the robot didn't recognize.

OOP should be strongly used. Let it get muscle please. wink

You can add other features o. It might not necessary be in GUI, cmd too is allow.

Well, we can vote for people by just liking their posts (you post the link to your codes/exe/zip/github or anything).
Posts that got shares na baba.

Please this is not really a competition but rather a challenge (what's the difference self lols). You can use any language of your choice. We must see your codes either use pastebin or github. This will help improve our programming skills and we gonna know the quack programmers, the guru (everyone is) and the ones that only have mouth-compilers alone. Please post the link and maybe screen shots to back it up.

Pardon my English oo. (English/Programming lecturers)

Duration : a week (for the ones that take comment seriously lols)

Disclaimer : No reward for the highest vote and for the lowest, I pray you're encouraged grin. Please me too I am a learner o, maybe this is a style to learn from you guys. wink wink

Start Date :February 26, 2016.
End Date: March 04, 2016.

Other people can post challenge as well, the poster will manage his duration and question.

I have solved your problem, bro. It took me an hour. its titled "Larisoft Clean Desktop". I will drop the larisoft name in it once its accepted as something useful and something everyone can work on.

The code is currently very basic, but serves the functions above.

If the guys here approve of my efforts, we can then work to make it better.

github :https://github.com/larisoft/cleanDesktop

You can download and install the app directly from

http://tfellow.com/larisoftCleanDesktop.zip

THANKS.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 12:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
larisoft:

I have solved your problem, bro. It took me an hour. its titled "Larisoft Clean Desktop". I will drop the larisoft name in it once its accepted as something useful and something everyone can work on.

The code is currently very basic, but serves the functions above.

If the guys here approve of my efforts, we can then work to make it better.

github :https://github.com/larisoft/cleanDesktop

You can download and install the app directly from

http://tfellow.com/larisoftCleanDesktop.zip

THANKS.

C#, cool.. don't conclude yet na, I hope we are going see more codes..But nice work, just that this PC I am using needs to update its framework, why no make it compatible to previous .net at least 3, just my opinion?. But yet still Nice work.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 12:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
larisoft :
You didn't implement the custom extension module.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by larisoft: 12:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

You didn't implement the custom extension module.

I dont understand what you mean, bro. Please elucidate.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 1:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
larisoft:

I dont understand what you mean, bro. Please elucidate.

I wrote a very short snippet in .cs I paste it in my desktop may be I downloaded it from my google drive directly to my desktop. I have a folder saved in C:\\RobotApp.

The app should allow me to create extension it will watch for, and where the folder should be saved.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by larisoft: 1:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

I wrote a very short snippet in .cs I paste it in my desktop may be I downloaded it from my google drive directly to my desktop. I have a folder saved in C:\\RobotApp.

The app should allow me to create extension it will watch for, and where the folder should be saved.

Thanks man. I will implement it soon.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 1:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
larisoft:

Thanks man. I will implement it soon.

Let me close this thread and you pay me or you reference back to me in your code. Paying me will make it yours now. wink wink
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 7:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Theyre other extensions: Books= pdf,chtml,epub. Source-code= py,java,php,c text=txt web-pages=htm,html,mht
copying files is easy. Copying webpages is harder.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 9:39pm On Feb 26, 2016
asalimpo:
Theyre other extensions:
Books= pdf,chtml,epub.
Source-code= py,java,php,c
text=txt
web-pages=htm,html,mht

copying files is easy. Copying webpages is harder.

Please explain what you meant by copying webpages is harder.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 10:14pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

Please explain what you meant by copying webpages is harder.
a web page usually has resource files(css,js,jpegs,pics,icons) stored in a folder with the same name as the web page. All these have to be taken into account when copying the web page.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 10:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
asalimpo:

a web page usually has resource files(css,js,jpegs,pics,icons) stored in a folder with the same name as the web page. All these have to be taken into account when copying the web page.

Hmmmm... Then the app should prompt the user if it encounter a web page extension to ask if there are any other files stored in a single folder in order to move it with the found page. But mostly this won't be necessary unless the user save the page with a browser. There's always a work around.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 10:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

Hmmmm... Then the app should prompt the user if it encounter a web page extension to ask if there are any other files stored in a single folder in order to move it with the found page. But mostly this won't be necessary unless the user save the page with a browser. There's always a work around.
non tech users will be lost by the question. They view a webpage as a single unified file,like their pdf,mp3 etc and would expect the file to open the same after copying. They dont know resources are in separate files.
Yeah,I'm talking of pages saved from browsers.
Better,for the app to guess on behalf of the user to reduce the burden of decision making on them.

1 Like

Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 10:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

It is easier when the app gets the html extension, and then scan or read the file for the other links such as image location, css file, js file, etc and automatically create the corresponding folders and move them to the new location, try to avoid user input or interaction.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 11:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
It even gets uglier if you want your program to recursively scan folders on the target location, and move files out.
Then resource files for webpages must nt be moved as if they were standalone files even though they may match criteria for standalone files. E.g standalone .wav ,jpeg,gif would be moved to pictures and music folders.
But if their in a webpage resource folder, you'll hav to ignore them!
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
asalimpo:

non tech users will be lost by the question. They view a webpage as a single unified file,like their pdf,mp3 etc and would expect the file to open the same after copying. They dont know resources are in separate files.
Yeah,I'm talking of pages saved from browsers.
Better,for the app to guess on behalf of the user to reduce the burden of decision making on them.

Fine I can now relate with it, users saved the page, then the software will do the house cleaning since the browser will create a folder in the name of the page saved. All it will do is to look for that folder whose name corresponds to the name of the name of the page saved and move it.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 11:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
CodeHouse:

It is easier when the app gets the html extension, and then scan or read the file for the other links such as image location, css file, js file, etc and automatically create the corresponding folders and move them to the new location, try to avoid user input or interaction.

Are you saying the app will scan through the html file itself for reference links (which would all be in the page's folder created in the desktop) to resources move and create folders correspondingly to the new folder ones? I was thinking of moving the whole folder of the page saved. Since name will be the same for the file and its folder it just looks for a folder with that name.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 11:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
asalimpo:
It even gets uglier if you want your program to recursively scan folders on the target location, and move files out.
Then resource files for webpages must nt be moved as if they were standalone files even though they may match criteria for standalone files. E.g standalone .wav ,jpeg,gif would be moved to pictures and music folders.
But if their in a webpage resource folder, you'll hav to ignore them!

You forgotten it searches for only files on the desktop not a sub directory.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 11:36pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

Are you saying the app will scan through the html file itself for reference links (which would all be in the page's folder created in the desktop) to resources move and create folders correspondingly to the new folder ones? I was thinking of moving the whole folder of the page saved. Since name will be the same for the file and its folder it just looks for a folder with that name.

What if you have index.html/php which ever, and the resource folder is site?
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 11:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:

Smart and efficient search is what is needed here
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 11:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
CodeHouse:

What if you have index.html/php which ever, and the resource folder is site?

Boss, thats another point I want to point out but I discovered that it's only the programmer that can do i.e renaming the folder from the.web page. The browser is sensitive enough to create the exact folder for the page even if you rename when saving the page. There's something I don't understand, the resource folder named site will be for another page on the desktop that reference the index.php, because if the software starts moving every html files it sees even in the sub directory things will get scatter and messy. If a page let's say shopping.html reference index.php in the site folder then we use the alternative method that is, scanning through the html file to detect the parent directory where it's resources are kept. When found it moves it. But things will get messy in the html file if the programmer uses a direct file path eg desktop\site\logo.png, because site will have been moved and yet the.html code still refer back to desktop path. I don't know if you get what am trying to point out.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 12:32am On Feb 27, 2016
Knownpal:

Boss, thats another point I want to point out but I discovered that it's only the programmer that can do i.e renaming the folder from the.web page. The browser is sensitive enough to create the exact folder for the page even if you rename when saving the page. There's something I don't understand, the resource folder named site will be for another page on the desktop that reference the index.php, because if the software starts moving every html files it sees even in the sub directory things will get scatter and messy. If a page let's say shopping.html reference index.php in the site folder then we use the alternative method that is, scanning through the html file to detect the parent directory where it's resources are kept. When found it moves it. But things will get messy in the html file if the programmer uses a direct file path eg desktop\site\logo.png, because site will have been moved and yet the.html code still refer back to desktop path. I don't know if you get what am trying to point out.

Not really but here is what should likely happen.. Get the html file and view the source, when search is found, it moves the found file to the new location, the html file is what determines which file should be searched for and moved. In short, if you get the root folder, you can move the folder, you know I prefer to always give a practical example and upload it for you tomorrow, im actually in church now
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 12:42am On Feb 27, 2016
CodeHouse:

Not really but here is what should likely happen.. Get the html file and view the source, when search is found, it moves the found file to the new location, the html file is what determines which file should be searched for and moved. In short, if you get the root folder, you can move the folder, you know I prefer to always give a practical example and upload it for you tomorrow, im actually in church now

Yes Yes! Its okay.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 12:44am On Feb 27, 2016
Knownpal:

i said if. Programs like this often get extended with more functionality.
Your program is essentially a Search+copy/move application.
in functional programming terms:

search(source,filetypes)+copy(<result-of-search>,destination).

i.e
copy(search(source,filetypes),destination).

in the future, search may take a deepsearch argument .
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by asalimpo(m): 12:51am On Feb 27, 2016
scanning the html file , parsing it and examining the links to find the resource file will be quite messy.
But if done will be more robust.
I dont think it's really worth it though.

if the files name is shopping.html and it is saved from the browser,
the resource folder will be shopping_files.
A little work and the html and its resource folder can then be moved.

1 Like

Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 12:56am On Feb 27, 2016
Knownpal:

Yes Yes! Its okay.

Hahahaha
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 12:58am On Feb 27, 2016
asalimpo:
scanning the html file , parsing it and examining the links to find the resource file will be quite messy.
But if done will be more robust.
I dont think it's really worth it though.

if the files name is shopping.html and it is saved from the browser,
the resource folder will be shopping_files.
A little work and the html and its resource folder can then be moved.

Exactly
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 1:04am On Feb 27, 2016
Yep Copy and Move stuffs.what I like is the ability of the software to think by itself based on many assumptions. AI CodeHouse you.understand what's.on ground now, would have started it long time ago. Well sha good days ahead.
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 1:05am On Feb 27, 2016
Knownpal:
Yep Copy and Move stuffs.what I like is the ability of the software to think by itself based on many assumptions. AI CodeHouse you.understand what's.on ground now, would have started it long time ago. Well sha good days ahead.

Yea I understand, dont worry, you will get there soon
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by silento(m): 1:11am On Feb 27, 2016
Baby exercise for baby coders but anyway larsoft good work need more hard software that need more coders to work on we need peace among ourselves not levels

Maybe let us build our own video player and audio player for both pc and android

That will communicate with a website to tell u want is latest and hot for the month

Note: we will build the video and audio decoder ourselves

One group android and others pc

And maybe dhtml18 will be development manager
Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by Knownpal(m): 1:22am On Feb 27, 2016
Silento you shouldn't call it baby, even if it looks like. It looks baby because you're thinking of the surface. Just punch your keyboard and.post the source codes that's all. All the utility tools you use on Windows looks babish to you? The ability of making a babish app do mighty things is called skills. As for your video stuffs why reinventing the wheel? grin. Just because you mention video shouldn't make baby coders scarred now, all you do there is call other people's API and library codes. Moral Lesson : never judge a book. Like which site will you be parsing your hot songs from?

1 Like

Re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills by CodeHouse: 1:26am On Feb 27, 2016
silento:
Baby exercise for baby coders but anyway larsoft good work need more hard software that need more coders to work on we need peace among ourselves not levels

Maybe let us build our own video player and audio player for both pc and android

That will communicate with a website to tell u want is latest and hot for the month

Note: we will build the video and audio decoder ourselves

One group android and others pc

And maybe dhtml18 will be development manager

Is this difficult?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Hours Should I Commit In A Day In Order To Learn Javascript In 3 Months / Complete Array Of Countries And Nigerian States [open Source] / An Insomniac's Puzzle For Programmers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.