Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu (6499 Views)

We Warned Tinubu About Buhari –senator Femi Okurounmu / See New Map Of Nigeria With 19 More States Proposed By National Confab / Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria by Senator Femi Okurounmu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mxHSwts4Bo

The Chairman of the President’s Advisory Committee on the National Conference, Dr. Femi Okurounmu said that the National Conference would not discuss Nigeria’s dismembering because those who agitate for such an outcome are on the fringe of Nigeria’s society. He made the disclosure in an exclusive interview with SaharaTV.

“Those people who believe in the dismembering of Nigeria are just fringe groups,” he said, referring to some elements in the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), the Odua People’s Congress (OPC), Arewa People’s Congress (APC), Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) and other groups.

He shied away from saying whether such groups would even be invited to the conference saying that the committee’s outing in Akure did not receive such submission. “Nobody came to demand that Nigeria should be dismembered,” he said. “The goal of the National Conference is greater justice and greater equity.”

Okurounmu rejected suggestions that President Jonathan has placed any “no-go area” on the committee when the president suggested that the resolution of the National Conference should be subjected to the ratification of the National Assembly. The former Senator from Ogun state argued that people were misinterpreting what the president said. He said that the president was making his own personal contribution which should not be taken as a directive to the committee.

When pressed further, he conceded that the findings of the National Conference would first of all be subjected to a referendum and if approved, it would then go to the National Assembly.

“The last stop of any work of the National Conference will always be the National Assembly,” he told SaharaTV’s Rudolf Okonkwo. “The National Assembly is the only one who can enact the findings in a constitution.”

On Bola Tinubu’s accusation that President Jonathan was not sincere about the National Conference, Okurounmu said he had met with Tinubu and that after the meeting, Tinubu has softened his stance on the conference.

To those who feel that corruption is the most important problem facing Nigeria, Okunroumu acknowledged that corruption is a major problem but insisted that Nigeria could tackle corruption alongside the National Conference.

The Afenfere chieftain described as lies the media report which suggested that prominent Yoruba leaders boycotted his committee’s first sitting in Akure on Friday. He stated that all prominent Yoruba leaders either came in person or sent their submissions on how to map out the National Conference.

Challenged on what makes him think that this conference would be different from those before, Okurounmu said that this time we have a president who believes in a National Conference.

“I’m the right man for the job,” he told SaharaTV’s Rudolf Okonkwo “because out of conviction I’ve fought for the National Conference for years.”

[url=http://saharareporters.com/video/national-confab-why-we-won%E2%80%99t-discuss-breaking-nigeria-senator-femi-okurounmu/]Source[/url]
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
This OKurunmi guy is not serious grin. How did he come to the conclusion that it's only fringe groups that are calling for Nigeria's dismembering and are these fringe groups not made up of Nigerians. I think this conference maybe bound to fail if there are no go areas.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2013
I told you people that breaking up the country is a no-go area, GEJ told you people that the output of this conference must not contain any data concerning breaking up this great nation, but you people buried your heads in denial. Now you know the deal. SAI ONE NATION!!

Most Nigerians I interact with on a daily basis are not as bigoted as NLers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Sloan: 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva: This OKurunmi guy is an 1diot. How did he come to the conclusion that it's only fringe groups that are calling for Nigeria's dismembering and are these fringe groups not made up of Nigerians. I think this conference maybe bound to fail if there are no go areas.

^^ If you call someone like him an 1diot, what do you think you are?? Well, I just want a Western Region with the Yorubas and their brothers, sisters and cousins from related part of Nigeria. Let the eastern region go and make people like Odulah their aviation minister or president, while the West also run their Aviation and ports and everything about our lives while the northern regions also do the same. The day we have an all Western region is one day I will be so happy for Nigeria. It is the closest thing we can get to sovereign countries which might not happen! Let the real competition begin!

6 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Afam4eva(m): 3:36pm On Oct 26, 2013
Sloan:

^^ If you call someone like him an 1diot, what do you think you are?? Well, I just want a Western Region with the Yorubas and their brothers, sisters and cousins from related part of Nigeria. Let the eastern region go and make people like Odulah their aviation minister or president, while the West also run their Aviation and ports and everything about our lives while the northern regions also do the same. The day we have an all Western region is one day I will be so happy for Nigeria. It is the closest thing we can get to sovereign countries which might not happen! Let the real competition begin!
You have told us what you want. How about allowing other people to decide what they want. Do you want to force them to follow your school of thought? It's becoming clear that the organizers of this conference may not be totally be sincere.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by seanet01: 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva: This OKurunmi guy is an 1diot. How did he come to the conclusion that it's only fringe groups that are calling for Nigeria's dismembering and are these fringe groups not made up of Nigerians. I think this conference maybe bound to fail if there are no go areas.
He is now an ediot abi?
Tinubu will soon be vindicated

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 3:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
You have told us what you want. How about allowing other people to decide what they want. Do you want to force them to follow your school of thought? It's becoming clear that the organizers of this conference may not be totally be sincere.

Why don't you people gather your thoughts and make a submission to the Committee on the review of the constitution, just as Ohaneze has already done? Why are you hell bent on not following rules?
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Why don't you people gather your thoughts and make a submission to the Committee on the review of the constitution, just as Ohaneze has already done? Why are you hell bent on not following rules?
Who are "You people"?
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by takedat(m): 4:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
I think you are the bigger idi0t. Is the proposed conference for Disintegration or for National Rebirth? Isn't the reason why we have all clamored for a dialogue is "to reassess, refocus, redefine and redesign our political landscape in a direction that would strengthen the bonds of unity, enhance the processes of democratic consolidation, good governance and good neighborliness; and open boundless opportunities for all Nigerians to be, and to feel that they are part of the evolving political process and socio political advancement"? So why should those whose "ultimate goal/predetermined aim" is the dismembering of Nigeria into ethnic conclaves be invited?
There is the UN's universal recognition of inalienable right to self-determination which our masters of irredentism and secessionists can exploit outside of the conference.

Like it was done in Ethiopia, a clause that would allow for "opting out of the union" if certain aspirations are not met can be inserted in the final resolution of the conference.

5 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
I laff in Timbuktu lingua franca!!! As much as I like Dr Femi Okurounmu....I am so aversed to this National Gossip talk owing to the many loopholes inherent in it from the get go!

You see what we have said severally about the fact that there are sure 'No-go-areas' in the whole thing

Those who thought Tinubu is heading for disgrace with the whole set up...Did you not read where he said he has met with Tinubu and having assured him and dispelled his suspicion of the whole thing...Tinubu has soften his stance and adopted a (siddon look approach) whoever thinks he can use a reluctantly agreed National Dialogue/Conference which is devoid of any iota of SOVEREIGNTY to penetrate the SWners thru the backdoor is sure living in Island de phantasmagoria

By now Dr Okunrounmu would have started knowing that someone is setting him up for failure ab initio

For me....I don't care where the president of this potentially great nation comes from, in as much as the president

has the leadership qualities,

can fight corruption not minding party affiliation,

can do justice to each constituent parts,

relegates Religion to the back waters( I want a president that will not use our money to support pilgrimages to Mecca and Jerusalem),

Draw a marshall plan for the Niger Delta

Devolve much power to the regions/states

Lobatan!!! Rather than fooling ourselves with a Diversionary and Divisive talkshop whereby our attention and gaze will be shifted away from the shenanigans of the politicians

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Who are "You people"?

You people who equate National Conference to designing a blueprint for breaking up the country and others who believe that their views will not be entertained by the conference organizers.

Since you are desperate to entrap me, I'll let you know that I am not that shy by pointing out that 'You people' also includes closet seccessionists who lost the war and their wish for biafra; but now want to actualize biafra through the back door of national conference.

5 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Awakulowo2: 4:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
Back to the topic, we have to discuss disintegration in that National Gossip or we should talk about the number of ibos that will be given entry to the SW on weekly or monthly basis.

4 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

You people who equate National Conference to designing a blueprint for breaking up the country and others who believe that their views will not be entertained by the conference organizers.

Since you are desperate to entrap me, I'll let you know that I am not that shy by pointing out that 'You people' also includes closet seccessionists who lost the war and their wish for biafra; but now want to actualize biafra through the back door of national conference.
And who told you're i'm a Biafran apologists? I prefer a united Nigeria but we should not deny people of their bid to secede.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Awakulowo2: 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
Akpu4eva, you called a Yoruba man that is old enough to be your Grandpa an 1diot and I also insulted you. The next thing you can do is to hide my post. Once again for calling a well respected Yoruba man an 1diot, you are a bigger 1diot.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Awakulowo2: 4:16pm On Oct 26, 2013

Only an 1diot will call Okurunmu an 1diot. It takes a f00l to recognize a f00l.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Awakulowo2: 4:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
For this singular post, you should be relieved of your job. Berem or that miserable Freegobe should replace you.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 4:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
And who told you're i'm a Biafran apologists? I prefer a united Nigeria but we should not deny people of their bid to secede.

Are you a learner? You people includes you and several other people. You should wear the hat which fits you with pride.

You seem to be suspicious of folks with views which differ from yours to your detriment. I hope I am wrong and respectfully ask you whether you've read Ohaneze's submission to the committee on constitutional review, and also to ask that you share with me, what proposals you'd like to make to the national conference committee if you are opportuned.

I know you will not shy away from the question and believe you have the intellectual capacity to answer fully. I'm all ears.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam is a big id1ot! I will personal deal with you if I ever set my eyes on you. You will be deported back to iboland if I ever meet you.

4 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Sloan: 5:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:

First, it i very wrong and disrespectful of you to call someone older or the same age as your parents but in any case older and superior to you an 1diot. You were alive when the whole world passed you by and neither chose you not anyone you remotely know, it's obvious who is a nonentity here. Second, I m not forcing any view into anybody at all just but if you are current, you'd know that the Yorubas have said we want ourselves in our region. The Ibos are ye to make a submission as I am yet to read anything submitted by Ohanneze only that they are still consulting or whatever. If this conference is not a fraud by GEJ, he has said he will not be breaking up the country so the next best thing is to get regional governments with all that come with it - complete control of our lives, destinies and resources. The Yorubas have already articulated that so again, I am not forcing anything here.

If the Ibos or whoever want to continue the current system, that it is their cup of team but we would vote for regional governments in a referendum, integrate our region, grow it with our people everywhere and anyone not from our region and especially from Iboland will have to go back to their region. We don't want any more troubles and distractions and we refuse to feed or allow such peoples to feed on our lands and resources.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by hardniola(m): 5:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
mallam chuks u so much like neijeriya...hahahahah,one naija cease to exist from jan........go nd plan how to be president of arewanistan.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Kponkwem(m): 5:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Chosshh.. Listen to yourself. And your people, who are the short-changed partner in the war victory sharing booty, are not looking for escape route thru the backdoor?

The Biafrans are more of the heart than of territory, they won't allow any arrangement that will jeopardise their investments in Nigeria because that will be the first target of the other Nigerians, who nurse secret seperatist agenda but cannot initiate it.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Raymonbell(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4 or aPam u should modify that post and tender an unreserved apology for that post

that's too much

gbam!
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by truth4meal(m): 5:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
To @afam4eva you goofed by calling sen okurunmu an I.diot because you as a mod should at least set sterling examples. You are at liberty to express ur view but a little restrain on your choice of words is paramount.
NC if not "sovereign" will only pass as a dialogue and another opportunity to display collective folly. We must learn from history, we shldnt just gather to talk, submit logs of paper, argue - we know the problem of this country is nigeria itself. A country that exist only because we want to sound patriotic while we act and exhibited bigotry.
Nigeria is the problem nothing else if a minister of aviation wasted public funds which includes that of her kinsmen - only for her people to be defending her cos she is igbo shows we dnt care abt the country called nigeria we care abt our tribe. There is no nigeria in our heart it only exist on the map.
If we have a truthful and sincere conference d dissolution of this present nigeria will top the list. The nigeria as we have it pays only the looting elites and politician.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by DerideGull(m): 6:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nigerians are full of it. What arrant nonsense is Dr. Femi Okurounmu talking about National Conference would not discuss dismembering of Nigeria? If so, what the hell is national conference going to discuss that could not be handled by NASS? And why did he accept to chair a conference that will not discuss how Nigerians will relate to each other?
If we can not discuss the disintegration of Nigeria peacefully, it then means war is the only option. I guess Nigerians will remember to hold terrible betrayal artists such as Dr. Femi Okurounmu responsible.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
If they don't put regionalism and resource control, Nigeria will break!!!!
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by DerideGull(m): 6:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

In your wishfully narrowed imagination, you conjured that another war is not humanly possible. I guess you are likened to some of those overfed and drunken Europeans who thought the defeat of Germany in WW1 is a gateway to heaven.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
On Bola Tinubu’s accusation that President Jonathan was not sincere about the National Conference, Okurounmu said he had met with Tinubu and that after the meeting, Tinubu has softened his stance on the conference.

You see how men handle politics?

Left to Joe, he will be banning Tinubu's flights, withholding guarantee for a loan he agreed to guarantee for and all sorts of nonsense!

Anyways, I SUPPORT THIS CONFERENCE NOW FUUL TIME WHETHER TINUBU LIKES IT OR NOT!

WHY?

I have come to realize it is a step in the right direction. no matter how many time past administrations failed to be serious about SNC, we have to keep doing it till we get lucky. Let's just pray we are lucky with goodluck.

SNC is the only way Nigeria can move forward or peacefully disintegrate.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by gbanikiti(m): 6:42pm On Oct 26, 2013
Pesin wey look imself finish im dey call im papa mate edioot? Wonders shall never end. angry

I fully support the SNC. If it is going to bring an end to crisis rocking this nation,so be it.If a breakup is possible without a war,it is a welcomed development.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
DerideGull: Nigerians are full of it. What arrant nonsense is Dr. Femi Okurounmu talking about National Conference would not discuss dismembering of Nigeria? If so, what the hell is national conference going to discuss that could not be handled by NASS? And why did he accept to chair a conference that will not discuss how Nigerians will relate to each other?
If we can not discuss the disintegration of Nigeria peacefully, it then means war is the only option. I guess Nigerians will remember to hold terrible betrayal artists such as Dr. Femi Okurounmu responsible.

i'm glad you have now realized that dismemberment of Nigeria cannot happen without a major war which most Nigerians do not want. If you people are hell bent on carving out biafra, go ahead and declare your secession again and see how far you'll get.

With disintegration off the table, we can focus on realistic issues such as regionalism, state police, federalism, resource control, marginalization of our people, and other important topics - mind you off-shore resources must remain 100% under the feds.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Rhino5dm: 6:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
DerideGull: Nigerians are full of it. What arrant nonsense is Dr. Femi Okurounmu talking about National Conference would not discuss dismembering of Nigeria? If so, what the hell is national conference going to discuss that could not be handled by NASS? And why did he accept to chair a conference that will not discuss how Nigerians will relate to each other?

Old man, stop clowning yourself.

Even my dog knows that the confab brouhaha is all about 2015 and nothing more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why We Must Support Biafra / Leadership Crisis In PDP Seriously Affecting Staff Salaries / Kano Rerun: Gov. Ganduje Seen Playing Football While The Election Was Ongoing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.