Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? (2652 Views)

2 First-class Yoruba Kings To Preach At Christian Revival / Why Do Catholic Priests Wear Rings? / Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by woky: 7:21am On Oct 29, 2013
garripack: i am wandering if catholic churches preach the gospel at all once i went there all i saw were just mere prayers and some jamborees sorry to say so but i just want to know if catholic church preach the Gospel at all please don't be sarcastic
grima ka ya fi wanan..
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by woky: 7:25am On Oct 29, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
No they don't. The last time my friend invited me to a catholic harvest and it was offering all through.
offering all through Ku ringa fada GASKIYA
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 8:09am On Oct 29, 2013
nwuyag:
@ ITALO
this is very true. I wont lie that they do not preach. They do that well. But the football clubs thanksgiving is the most disgusting. l. I attend a catholic church every sunday. There will be harvest by mid november in the church and they ve taken a whole lot of money. I dont just want to taint the name of the church, but if you want me to say it, I will and you will find out for yourself.
Its no different from pentecostals. They do seed sowing and tithes. Tithes @ the end/begining of the month and seed sowing @ 1st sunday. They also separate family harvest thanksgiving, (which the family will have paid some amount in doing it and will still collect from the congegration) with normal thanksgiving. Let me start naming the collections.
1.Offering
2. 2nd collection and thanksgiving after that.
3. laity collection
4. church building collection.(there is a song for this)
5. tithe
6. seed sowing
7. Harvest;- family, state, society, letter of alphaphet your name starts with, Month of birth and worst of all football clubs.
8. Harvest launching;-harvest dress launching, brochure launching, launching of king and queen of the harvest.
Launching is usually done with huge amounts, then general thanksgiving after the launching.
9. Apart from launching of brochure, people will still pay for things like; supporting Jesus picture on 1st page, mary on 2nd page, pope on third page, bishop on 4th page, priests on the 5th page. (I dont understan these ones). They will also make money on the sales and advertisement in the brochure.
On the harvest day, it will be worse. After the nos(1,2,3,4,6 and 7), there will also be stupid thanksgivings like
1. pregnant women,
2. children(they will use age groups), pry sch, sec sch, under grad, adult, old people.
3. societies; sacred heart, immaculate heart, st anthony etc.(all of them)
Then general harvest thanksgiving, and pass the tray for tips too.
Its a harvest but did I forget to say that nothing(to eat or drink) will be free on that day. Nobody send you. oyo

This thread is about preaching.

You said they preach well, that is good!

How I wish you went on to describe the preaching to the liars above...as you have described the collections.

However, let me address the collection aspect.

Harvest is a time for parishioners to give and give in thanksgiving to God for the blessings throughout the year and in support of their Parish. There are surely occasions when these things are taken too far...that is expected with human beings.

If I asked you to list out the expenditure of that Parish yearly, I'm sure it will far outweigh this you outline.

How then are the Parishes supposed to fund themselves, if not from the parishioners?

However, we both know that you exaggerated. All those dont happen in one day...neither do they happen every Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by SalC: 8:12am On Oct 29, 2013
woky: offering all through Ku ringa fada GASKIYA
Ka giya masa
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 8:13am On Oct 29, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Thanks @nwuyag for supporting me.

Nobody can deny the fact that catholic churches do preaches
but if you noticed in my previous comment i focused more on the luxurious lifestyle of the church. I never knew a catholic church could be that materialistic compared to pentecostals untill that day.

Some liars deny it o. Like this one below:

sкчscrαρεr™:
No they don't. The last time my friend invited me to a catholic harvest and it was offering all through.

You know that guy?

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 8:16am On Oct 29, 2013
^^^Lol, una abegooooo.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by skyscraperTM(m): 8:30am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

Some liars deny it o. Like this one below:

You know that guy?
yes i do, and i'm not a liar.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 8:32am On Oct 29, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:

Oga sorry o, no vex.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 8:54am On Oct 29, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:

Okay I'm sorry.

But you lied when you said "no, they dont."

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

This thread is about preaching.

You said they preach well, that is good!

How I wish you went on to describe the preaching to the liars above...as you have described the collections.

However, let me address the collection aspect.

Harvest is a time for parishioners to give and give in thanksgiving to God for the blessings throughout the year and in support of their Parish. There are surely occasions when these things are taken too far...that is expected with human beings.

If I asked you to list out the expenditure of that Parish yearly, I'm sure it will far outweigh this you outline.

How then are the Parishes supposed to fund themselves, if not from the parishioners?

However, we both know that you exaggerated. All those dont happen in one day...neither do they happen every Sunday.
I have no reason to exagerate. Infact, I have stayed in an opus dei center sometime ago,(St Jose maria; the way stuff). Its why I said that the motive is not money intended. What I said is completely true. Not everything happens on one day, but @ least the 1st sunday of harvest period has almost all these.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2013
nwuyag:
I have no reason to exagerate. Infact, I have stayed in an opus dei center sometime ago,(St Jose maria; the way stuff). Its why I said that the motive is not money intended. What I said is completely true. Not everything happens on one day, but @ least the 1st sunday of harvest period has almost all these.

Why not tell us about how it went in the Opus Dei center? Also throw more light on the Sundays that are not in "harvest period", we will like to hear too.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 9:14am On Oct 29, 2013
nwuyag:

Okay, good.

Do you mind my asking if you're Catholic?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 9:18am On Oct 29, 2013
Syncan:

Why not tell us about how it went in the Opus Dei center? Also throw more light on the Sundays that are not in "harvest period", we will like to hear too.

Yes...yes...

I like to hear too.

I'm sure those who say there's no preaching in Catholic Church too would like the details.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

Okay, good.

Do you mind my asking if you're Catholic?
I have done baptism, 1st holy xommunion and confirmation, but I am not catholic. Why?
Their core belief of how bread becomes body of christ has not and cannot make sense to me.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 10:42am On Oct 29, 2013
nwuyag:
I have done baptism, 1st holy xommunion and confirmation, but I am not catholic. Why?
Their core belief of how bread becomes body of christ has not and cannot make sense to me.

I would like to talk with you about that but perhaps this is not the right place...or maybe it is, since the thread is talking about Catholics preaching.

What do you think? It's perfectly understandable if you dont want to discuss it.

But still, can you tell the thread your Opus Dei and 'other Sundays' experience the way you talked about the collections in detail?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

Yes...yes...

I like to hear too.

I'm sure those who say there's no preaching in Catholic Church too would like the details.
hmmm, una won whine me abi?
anyway, anyone who wants to know about the preaching should spend sometime and go see for himself. Its not my problem.
But the opus dei stuff, its unique. I visited for around for a year when I was still catholic ie the studycenter @ akoka One big difference between there and other forms of religion I realised is that, they taught one the importance of work and how hardwork affects spirituality and not the otherway round. a saying (an hour of study is an hour of prayer). I have still got the book. They taught how to be fuffiled in your profession. I do not believe in many catholic stuff tho. but they seemed to give more reason to have passion with the course I am studying and also the importance of examination of conscience along the line. I took those two things from them, and apart from that, I don't fit into the others
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 11:00am On Oct 29, 2013
nwuyag:
hmmm, una won whine me abi?
anyway, anyone who wants to know about the preaching should spend sometime and go see for himself. Its not my problem.
But the opus dei stuff, its unique. I visited for around for a year when I was still catholic ie the studycenter @ akoka One big difference between there and other forms of religion I realised is that, they taught one the importance of work and how hardwork affects spirituality and not the otherway round. a saying (an hour of study is an hour of prayer). I have still got the book. They taught how to be fuffiled in your profession. I do not believe in many catholic stuff tho. but they seemed to give more reason to have passion with the course I am studying and also the importance of examination of conscience along the line. I took those two things from them, and apart from that, I don't fit into the others

Nice, I believe you've visited, please go ahead with this exposition. Tell us more and why you "don't fit into the others"
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 29, 2013
italo:

I would like to talk with you about that but perhaps this is not the right place...or maybe it is, since the thread is talking about Catholics preaching.

What do you think? It's perfectly understandable if you dont want to discuss it.

But still, can you tell the thread your Opus Dei and 'other Sundays' experience the way you talked about the collections in detail?
hey, I am not a catholic spokesman.
Besides, from.my threads, you should know that I am no longer religious. I dont think anything you say can change that. Trust me, it will be futile. Even the priest there understands this. Its true that religion gives an extra reason to do something, both good and bad, but still, I think for me, there should be a limit to religious practices, I don't believe the bible story. Prayer is a very pointless action, no matter the reason imo.
Also, no matter how good st jose maria was, I still see him.as a dead man who once lived and not the way catholics do. let me stop there.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 6:40am On Oct 30, 2013
nwuyag: hey, I am not a catholic spokesman.

Okay. You're only a spokesman when you want to talk about how Catholic Church collects money during harvest. Many people are like that. They highlight "bad" and ignore "good." Fine!

Besides, from.my threads, you should know that I am no longer religious. I dont think anything you say can change that. Trust me, it will be futile. Even the priest there understands this.
Its true that religion gives an extra reason to do something, both good and bad, but still, I think for me, there should be a limit to religious practices, I don't believe the bible story. Prayer is a very pointless action, no matter the reason imo.
Also, no matter how good st jose maria was, I still see him.as a dead man who once lived and not the way catholics do. let me stop there.

You think it is futile because you think I want to revert you to the faith. Not necessarily. I want to know and understand what you believe. Who knows? If I find it true, I might be converted. Everyone one wants truth and no one likes being lied to.

If you dont mind, what do you believe (about God and human existence and purpose) and why?

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 6:40am On Oct 30, 2013

Okay. You're only a spokesman when you want to talk about how Catholic Church collects money during harvest. Many people are like that. They highlight "bad" and ignore "good." Fine!

Besides, from.my threads, you should know that I am no longer religious. I dont think anything you say can change that. Trust me, it will be futile. Even the priest there understands this.
Its true that religion gives an extra reason to do something, both good and bad, but still, I think for me, there should be a limit to religious practices, I don't believe the bible story. Prayer is a very pointless action, no matter the reason imo.

You think it is futile because you think I want to revert you to the faith. Not necessarily. I want to know and understand what you believe. Who knows? If I find it true, I might be converted. Everyone one wants truth and no one likes being lied to.

If you dont mind, what do you believe (about God and human existence and purpose) and why?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 6:48am On Oct 30, 2013

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 30, 2013
italo:

no god has a place/position/job in my life right now. I don't believe in those hell heaven stories, infact the bible. I have always said, there might be a God, but that imo cannot be the xtian one. Besides, this life is short, so hardwork all the way.
And Dude, I am definitely not going further than this. So let's end here.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by woky: 11:06am On Oct 30, 2013
nwuyag:
no god has a place/position/job in my life right now. I don't believe in those hell heaven stories, infact the bible. I have always said, there might be a God, but that imo cannot be the xtian one. Besides, this life is short, so hardwork all the way.
hmm
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 11:46am On Oct 30, 2013
nwuyag:

Fine. It's your story. You decide if and/or when to tell it.

It's your life, you decide what to make of it.

Thanks for the little you shared.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by babestell(f): 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2013
Nwuyag I hope you still practice what you learnt from Opus Dei. The society has been very instrumental in my growth as a catholic. Now I do my day to day activities with the belief that the Lord is blessing me through my actions.
In my few years on earth, I have learnt that we may not always agree with what we hear but sometime we have to just obey, that is the virtue of humility and meekness. Everytime I hear wives be submissive to your husbands, I wanna scream and shout but when that time comes I will obey. There are many things about faith that require us to just believe even when it seems too incredible. I pray whatever crisis of faith caused you to turn you back on the truth be resolved soon.
On the issue of preaching, I hope you know that the lenght of time used to preach does not determine the quality of the message. I have gone for masses where the preiest preached for hours and I didn't learn a thing, I have also gone for masses where homily was just for 5mins and it made serious sense.

2 Likes

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:52am On Oct 31, 2013
@babestell, on a side note i hope you know that submisivenes in married life is mutual, d bible didnt just say 'wife be submisive to ur husbands', it also says 'be submisive to each other.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by babestell(f): 7:41am On Oct 31, 2013
Ubenedictus: @babestell, on a side note i hope you know that submisivenes in married life is mutual, d bible didnt just say 'wife be submisive to ur husbands', it also says 'be submisive to each other.

Bros I totally agree, but let's be realistic how many people preach this 2 way submisivness. How many people who use submisivness as a reason for women to behave in a certain way actually think about the the vice versa.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 11:39am On Oct 31, 2013
Eph 5:22 - Let women be subject to their husbands, as to the Lord:23 - Because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body.24 - Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things.25 - Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church, and delivered himself up for it:

@ Babestell, there are still some men who have decided to live by verse 25...whether many people preach it or not.

Hopefully, your man, (if you will not go into consecrated life...lol) will be a member of this our club. God help us.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
babestell:
Bros I totally agree, but let's be realistic how many people preach this 2 way submisivness. How many people who use submisivness as a reason for women to behave in a certain way actually think about the the vice versa.
pope johnpaul 2 preached it
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
italo: Eph 5:22 - Let women be subject to their husbands, as to the Lord:23 - Because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body.24 - Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things.25 - Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church, and delivered himself up for it:

@ Babestell, there are still some men who have decided to live by verse 25...whether many people preach it or not.

Hopefully, your man, (if you will not go into consecrated life...lol) will be a member of this our club. God help us.

that is called selective quoting, the begining of the teaching of submissiveness didn't start in vs 22, it starts in vs 21.
Eph 5:21 Be subject to one another out of reverence for christ, if your partner is asking you to be submissive to him without him practicing the same submissiveness in love, then you are his servant not his wife.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ubenedictus: that is called selective quoting, the begining of the teaching of submissiveness didn't start in vs 22, it starts in vs 21.
Eph 5:21 Be subject to one another out of reverence for christ, if your partner is asking you to be submissive to him without him practicing the same submissiveness in love, then you are his servant not his wife.

You realize we're saying the same thing?

I take verse 21 to be like the heading/summary of the passage. Then the remaining verses to be the explanation of verse 21.

For if a man loves his wife so much as to give himself up for her, can it be said that he hasnt been submissive to her. Indeed, that has to be the height of submission. Martyrdom is the height of love.

And what woman would need a second invitation to submit to such a man as she does the Lord?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by amaralizzy40y: 1:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
nwuyag:
hahahahahahahahahahah

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Children Sacrificed By Illuminati --defector "Mary Anne" / Hot Prayer Against All Sickness/diseases. / TB JOSHUA: I Said WOOLMAN Not Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.