Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,826 members, 7,841,178 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good (6079 Views)

The Internet Brings More Harm Than Good / Mr Seun Osewa: Sexkillz Is Of More Harm To You Than Gud. / Whch Girl On Nairaland Has The Best Personality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Lagosbabe1: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
ogugua88: @seanet01,

Why are you taking offense to tribalism being described as foolishness? Are tribal bigots intelligent people?

Complex question!

It would largely depend on (a) your definition and (b) interpretation of (1)intelligence and (2) "tribal bigots"
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: better to be tribal than naive.
Naivety have hurt Igbos a lot.

No one has to be naive. No one has to be (negatively) tribal either.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
ogugua88:

No one has to be naive. No one had to be tribal either.

In Utopialand.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by sarutobie(m): 11:58pm On Oct 27, 2013
Seun and his mods saw the writing on the wall but they prefered to promote tribalism,mistrust in exchange for traffic..they saw it coming..now this site has been infested and overrun by low-lives..now they are doing damage control.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Demdem(m): 12:01am On Oct 28, 2013
theoctopus:

You have never been intelligent and you seem to be getting worse by the day. Just imagine the kind of crap you post. Very low stuff

Daft as usual.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:02am On Oct 28, 2013
sarutobie: Seun and his mods saw the writing on the wall but they prefered to promote tribalism,mistrust in exchange for traffic..they saw it coming..now this site has been infested and overrun by low-lives..now they are doing damage control.

Stop blaming Seun and mods.

Are Seun and mods Boko Haram?
Are Seun and mods Massob
Are Seun and mods Fashola?
Are Seun and mods Dokubo
Are Seun and mods Buhari

etc. etc.

The fact is that we live in a highly tribal society reflected by the actions and words of the ruling politicians. Expecting us to act otherwise is the foolish thing.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: In Utopialand.

In reality.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:06am On Oct 28, 2013
ogugua88:

In reality.

It's only in children's fairytales that they live happily ever after. Real life is something else.

Ogugua, I actually understand you and it is the wishful thinking of all Nigerians in diaspora that we become a united country. However what the diasporans should do is come to Nigeria and stay in an area that is not their region for a month and see how it goes.

There is a limit to what you can tolerate. Even you.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by theoctopus: 12:12am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

The fact is that we live in a highly tribal society reflected by the actions and words of the ruling politicians. Expecting us to act otherwise is the foolish thing.

Our politicians have been corrupt and wicked, but they have never really openly promoted tribalism until recently when the ACN started this current trend. The ACN and their supporters started the current trend of tribalism in the country

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by LajaLaba: 12:43am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

First of all, you owe us an apology. But that won't even be enough.

We made Lagos what it is today. Selflessly. We are developing this country single handedly.
You owe us adoration. After seizing our millions in banks, you gave us 20 pounds each and we still come and but lands in ogun and ondo states. Thus sustaining your people. What did you people do with all those stolen millions? Owambe parties?
You owe us servitude. For the amount of development we bring to your place, you should be telling us "thank you" everyday.

We have only been good to you. But always repay with hatred.
U see one thing about u guys is that u are too loud and boastful...Most of u lack wisdom......Still crying about what happened years ago?think think my friend and write something reasonable...Yoruba owe u nothing.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:45am On Oct 28, 2013
Laja Laba: U see one thing about u guys is that u are too loud and boastful...Most of u lack wisdom......Still crying about what happened years ago?think think my friend and write something reasonable...Yoruba owe u nothing.

hatred is your reward for our love
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by LajaLaba: 12:48am On Oct 28, 2013
9jacrip: Summary:

Some particular group started a denigrating e-campaign against a group that continuously let it 'slide'.

Now, the latter group has woken up and proceeded to dishing blows and vile retributions to the former.

These reprisals seem to be taking a toll and becoming in-surmountable. Hence, the back-pedalling and scape-goating their public figures who publicized their views which they previously jeered on which was prevalent on a thread yesterday and now this thread where they are starting to act like they are being victimized and trying to act 'civil' while trying to paint the retaliating group as the criminal.

Now I see they're throwing 'you hate us' tantrum. Why didn't they think of this when they smeared google and yahoo groups with derogatry threads and posting?True word

Talking about getting served.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by LajaLaba: 12:49am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

hatred is your reward for our love
which yeye love this one is talking about?think straight stop being emotional

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 28, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

Complex question!

It would largely depend on (a) your definition and (b) interpretation of (1)intelligence and (2) "tribal bigots"

May God bless you. Isn't it amusing the type of posters talking about intelligence on Nairaland?
Going by the evolution of bigotry on Nairaland, if people who engage in it are not intelligent then we clearly know which side these unintelligent people came from.
Rabid and hateful people are now suddenly Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi rolled into one because they have been beaten in their stupid game.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Katsumoto: 2:47am On Oct 28, 2013
Aigbofa:

May God bless you. Isn't it amusing the type of posters talking about intelligence on Nairaland?
Going by the evolution of bigotry on Nairaland, if people who engage in it are not intelligent then we clearly know which side these unintelligent people came from.
Rabid and hateful people are now suddenly Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi rolled into one because they have been beaten in their stupid game.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by biafranqueen: 3:52am On Oct 28, 2013
Aigbofa:

I understand what your people went through. But how did it translate to eternal hatred some of your people have for Yoruba? One just referred to some phantom enemy. I am grateful too that I did not experience the war, I was not even born yet. But the way some of your people carry on here is a if the civil war is still raging and every Yoruba is their foe.
I feel you my Dear, what is really scary to me though is why we are fighting each other the real enemies THE ELITE LEADERS, are busy sucking our resources and finances dry. In their World tribalism does not even exist, believe me when I say this even Ojukwu wined and dined with Hausa and Yoruba elites. They laughed and popped champagne together. They all know that dividing the masses will make it harder for them to come together in a revolution JJ style. Tribalism is a tool to keep the power in the same people's hands, Generation to generation. While the majority will struggle for basic accommodations, these elite families, don't see tribes or respect tribes only name, and how much your family is holding.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: It's only in children's fairytales that they live happily ever after. Real life is something else.

Ogugua, I actually understand you and it is the wishful thinking of all Nigerians in diaspora that we become a united country. However what the diasporans should do is come to Nigeria and stay in an area that is not their region for a month and see how it goes.

I stayed in the SW region for nearly a month during my last visit and experienced absolutely no hostility.

Even if one person abused me, be it verbally or physically, that wouldn't have been enough for me to write off an entire tribe. Tribal bigotry can never be tolerated or understood by me and it's certainly not something my children will ever learn.

I've experienced more intolerance or prejudice from whites (and it's nothing compared to blacks/Africans living in say Texas or Mississippi) and I've never had anything against them. There's no way I'd discriminate against my own countrymen or countrywomen. Tolerating and/or encouraging such is only another step towards regression.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by birdman(m): 3:59am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

It's only in children's fairytales that they live happily ever after. Real life is something else.

Keep deceiving yourself. You are living in your own head, making stuff up to justify your hate.. Every region in Nigeria has some strain of tribalism. The Southwest though is by far the most liberal. Hasua, Igbo, etc all settle in the southwest, own businesses and get so comfortable they identify with their host states just as much as their home states. If the SW was as nasty as you say, you would have left by now. Interestingly, you seem to conveniently ignore your brethren (and other Nigerians) being slaughtered any time there is some wahala up north.

Younger Nigerians in diaspora understand they world they live in. All the civil war and tribal baggage parents keep trying to foist on their kids melt in the face of reality: being a black man, of any ethnic group, anywhere in the world is hard. Division gets you nowhere.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by biafranqueen: 4:32am On Oct 28, 2013
ogugua88:

I stayed in the SW region for nearly a month during my last visit and experienced absolutely no hostility.

Even if one person abused me, be it verbally or physically, that wouldn't have been enough for me to write off an entire tribe. Tribal bigotry can never be tolerated or understood by me and it's certainly not something my children will ever learn.

I've experienced more intolerance or prejudice from whites (and it's nothing compared to blacks/Africans living in say Texas or Mississippi) and I've never had anything against them. There's no way I'd discriminate against my own countrymen or countrywomen. Tolerating and/or encouraging such is only another step towards regression.
i agree with you, For the past 10 years going to Nigeria staying 4-6 months at a time I have never experienced tribalism, but I think that because we are considered visitors we may not experience it. Even if you were born and raised in Nigeria, you spend 3-4 years out of your country, you are automatically Oyibo, they detect you right away somehow I personally have grown up visiting families from different tribes and never experienced it but I can tell you that what ever you place your focus on you will attract it to your life. For example if you always complain of dating the wrong man or that all men are dogs you will always end up with a dog. If you feel other tribes hate you, then you will always attract those that do. Your perception is your reality!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by biafranqueen: 4:35am On Oct 28, 2013
birdman:

Keep deceiving yourself. You are living in your own head, making stuff up to justify your hate.. Every region in Nigeria has some strain of tribalism. The Southwest though is by far the most liberal. Hasua, Igbo, etc all settle in the southwest, own businesses and get so comfortable they identify with their host states just as much as their home states. If the SW was as nasty as you say, you would have left by now. Interestingly, you seem to conveniently ignore your brethren (and other Nigerians) being slaughtered any time there is some wahala up north.

Younger Nigerians in diaspora understand they world they live in. All the civil war and tribal baggage parents keep trying to foist on their kids melt in the face of reality: being a black man, of any ethnic group, anywhere in the world is hard. Division gets you nowhere.
at all sad
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by gbokukueba(m): 4:57am On Oct 28, 2013
opeyemmmy:

Bro, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. You can't have your cake and eat it. smiley

Kileleyi so gan? undecided
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by gbokukueba(m): 5:03am On Oct 28, 2013
Tolexander: why?

I don't really take things here on nairaland serious anyway, maybe because I hardly read posts below my posts unless being quoted.
My sig is my watchword anyway.

If you leave, i will go on hunger strike and won't eat until you are back.

My friend am just concern that the people who supposedly should be different from the current crop of ethnic-biased politician are exhibiting same on nairaland...

No worry theres bbm on android we no longer bound to nairaland grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

You still think you can cure tribalism with ban button?
He jokes.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by russellino: 6:21am On Oct 28, 2013
Aigbofa:

How I respond to your attacks is up to me. If you live in a glass house, I would advise you to desist from throwing stones.

Be a man or be a cowardly puzzy. Its up to u. Who be "you"? I ask again. U really need counselling. I don't throw stones unless I am hit first o. Even in retaliating I still keep it fairly decent. That's how men roll.

Ppl of limited intelligence will resort to insults or upload their paedophile fetish of pictures while those with reasonable intellect will discuss or debate.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
This is funny - a case of Ore invasion which changed the tide of warfare but later resorted to whinning and fingers pointing.

They threw the first stone ('yorubas are' on google and anti yoruba fora on yahoo groups which none of them is mentioning).

Now they are getting severely hit and rubbished they wanna be all civil and talk civil against tribal bigotry - I laugh. Everything y'all done been saying on NL and other fora is simply what has been entrenched and circulating amongst y'all - even una legendary Achebe reiterated his anti-Yoruba in his last work before his demise. its simple as that.

Several Yoruba on NL who know this way before have taken y'all up continuously regardless of the ban by some mods who have sought to promote some ethnic agenda - I pray these yoruba folks never relent and continue to get y'all served.

God bless FFK for re-kindling the nationalism amongst lackadaisical Yoruba. I pray yoruba people begin to preach and pass on anti-Igbo stories and philosophies to their offsprings has they have done across the Niger.

After Achebe's book and many recent happenings - many Yoruba have stopped caring and are seething though they may appear civil but within....

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2013
biafranqueen: i agree with you, For the past 10 years going to Nigeria staying 4-6 months at a time I have never experienced tribalism, but I think that because we are considered visitors we may not experience it. Even if you were born and raised in Nigeria, you spend 3-4 years out of your country, you are automatically Oyibo, they detect you right away somehow I personally have grown up visiting families from different tribes and never experienced it but I can tell you that what ever you place your focus on you will attract it to your life. For example if you always complain of dating the wrong man or that all men are dogs you will always end up with a dog. If you feel other tribes hate you, then you will always attract those that do. Your perception is your reality!

Very very true. smiley
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Mynd44: 5:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
When I come to NL and see things like Igbo and Yorubas fighting, I can't help but laugh my backside out. Not because the insults are funny (which they are) but the ignorance being displayed.

I grew up in different parts of Nigeria. I have lived in the north, south east, port-har-court, Lagos, Ibadan and Ekiti and I can say that I have not seen one case of tribalist until I got to NL.

The closest thing I have seen about tribal ish is when friends gather and mock each other's culture and tradition and no offence is meant. I have had Igbo neighbours and still do. But I have never seen them as different neither they see me like that.

I told a friend that the issue of tribalist is due to poverty and joblessness which is true. If you look at the Ladipo incidence some weeks back where people on NL were talking like the Igbos and Yorubas were killing one another. I went there with a friend and it was as peaceful as anything else with Igbo/Yoruba and everyone else was doing their business and making money.

When there is money to be made, Nigerian don't care where you are from. If you are Igbo but you have something anyone needs, they don't care but when one person is poor, he looks for who to blame for his woes and he creates enemies.

Go to the bars and clubs at night and see how people of different tribes are together drinking and spending cash while broke people and people who probably have not spent a day in Nigeria talk about a tribe anyhow.

I personally know a lady on NL who cannot point at her state on a map of Nigeria(she is yoruba) yet she is always insulting Igbos

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
Mynd_44: When I come to NL and see things like Igbo and Yorubas fighting, I can't help but laugh my backside out. Not because the insults are funny (which they are) but the ignorance being displayed.

I grew up in different parts of Nigeria. I have lived in the north, south east, port-har-court, Lagos, Ibadan and Ekiti and I can say that I have not seen one case of tribalist until I got to NL.

The closest thing I have seen about tribal ish is when friends gather and mock each other's culture and tradition and no offence is meant. I have had Igbo neighbours and still do. But I have never seen them as different neither they see me like that.

I told a friend that the issue of tribalist is due to poverty and joblessness which is true. If you look at the Ladipo incidence some weeks back where people on NL were talking like the Igbos and Yorubas were killing one another. I went there with a friend and it was as peaceful as anything else with Igbo/Yoruba and everyone else was doing their business and making money.

When there is money to be made, Nigerian don't care where you are from. If you are Igbo but you have something anyone needs, they don't care but when one person is poor, he looks for who to blame for his woes and he creates enemies.

Go to the bars and clubs at night and see how people of different tribes are together drinking and spending cash while broke people and people who probably have not spent a day in Nigeria talk about a tribe anyhow.

I personally know a lady on NL who cannot point at her state on a map of Nigeria(she is yoruba) yet she is always insulting Igbos

You're right with all of the bolded but it is only a matter of time before the internet tribalism spreads.
It already is anyway going by how people sign up daily and their first few posts are all tribal tantrums.
Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 28, 2013
A lot of the people hurling insults, threats, and curses online struggle to kill common mosquito. Such "bravado", if you will, isn't easy to come by in real life.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Mynd44: 6:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
ogugua88: A lot of the people hurling insults, threats, and curses online struggle to kill common mosquito. Such "bravado", if you will, isn't easy to come by in real life.
Alternate reality na. They just come here to talk poo when they know it does not go beyond there

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Sloan: 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
russellino:

Very cowardly and immature justification. Even the most debased and twisted cowards would frown at uploading pics of starving kids to gloat. I guess u are something new to science.

Really? Is it not empty gloating when ibos keeps lying to themselves that the people who whooped them leading the starving are cowards? Imagine Germany as respected as they still are calling the US cowards? LMAO...but they are definitely smarter than the people who were in the same situation! Whooped hard and guess who the coward is? The man who showed-up in your house, whooped you so hard until your leader ran away for 12 years! LOL.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Done More Harm Than Good by Sloan: 6:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

First of all, you owe us an apology. But that won't even be enough.

We made Lagos what it is today. Selflessly. We are developing this country single handedly.
You owe us adoration. After seizing our millions in banks, you gave us 20 pounds each and we still come and but lands in ogun and ondo states. Thus sustaining your people. What did you people do with all those stolen millions? Owambe parties?
You owe us servitude. For the amount of development we bring to your place, you should be telling us "thank you" everyday.

We have only been good to you. But always repay with hatred.

Either madness or deceitfulness had eaten your brains out! You said you are doing the Yorubas a favour by "developing" their land while your ancestral lands remains a red earth, scorched wasteland? When and where did Yorubas write an invitation letter to Ibos to come and develop their lands or you think we don't know that without our lands, starvation and plagues will wipe you out completely? So the spare parts seller eking out a living in Lagos is doing it not to feed himself and family (avoiding certain death from starvation) but because he loves the Yorubas so much and their cars?? LWKMD! grin grin

Well, this is ONE of the BIGGEST reasons we need a national conference and one of the biggest changes is regional governments. You will learn better after everyone is required to live in their father's land and not be parasites on others!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pls What Does YIM Mean In Nairaland / Directions / Petroleum Minister's Husband, Rear Admiral Allison Madueke In Theft Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.