Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,540 members, 7,955,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity (2102 Views)

These Photos Will Make Your Weekend / Aerial View Of Lekki Via Drone Camera / Boko Haram Story Will Change In Two Weeks – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by ochejoseph(m): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2013
In a world where two men were insensitive enough to dress up as Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman for a Halloween party, and a black college student is arrested at a high-end luxury department store for buying a belt, this teen's story will restore your faith in humanity.

In a series on kindness, the BBC recounted the incredible moment in 1996 when Keshia Thomas, an 18-year-old at the time, protected a man believed to be a white supremacist affiliated with the KKK from an angry mob.

In June of that year, the Ku Klux Klan held a rally at the city hall building in Ann Arbor, Mich. The town, whose population is known to be home to mostly liberals, came out in large numbers to protest the presence of the notoriously racist group. According to reports 300 anti-clan protestors showed up, while just 17 Klansmen were present.

Thomas was in the crowd of anti-clan protesters, when someone spotted a man in the crowd amongst them with an SS tattoo and a confederate flag shirt. The group, including Thomas, immediately chased the man.

keshia thomas

But, in a flash, the crowd went from controlled protestors to an angry mob, hitting the man with sticks and kicking him as he lay on the ground. In that moment, Thomas separated herself from the mob and threw herself on the man to protect him.

"When they dropped him to the ground, it felt like two angels had lifted my body up and laid me down," Thomas said.

keshia thomas

Thomas' act of true altruism was captured by photographer Mark Brunner in a series of photos, and it still inspires people to this day.

"She put herself at physical risk to protect someone who, in my opinion, would not have done the same for her," he said. "Who does that in this world?"

Even the police assigned to protect the Klan members felt conflicted. A retired police officer, shared his story with Ann Arbor news last year.

“Behind the faceshield, what bugged me was when the crowd chanted, "The cops and the Klan go hand in hand!" Inside you want to scream, "No! No! Don't you understand that is completely false? I'm here because it is my duty to protect all of you." Outwardly you stand, you say nothing and get ready to duck if necessary.”

Today, Thomas continues to work to make a difference, by doing simple things each and every day.

"The biggest thing you can do is just be kind to another human being. It can come down to eye contact, or a smile. It doesn't have to be a huge monumental act."

For more on Thomas’ story and how it serves as a catalyst for inspiring others to be kind take a look at the BBC story.

Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 30, 2013
Wow!all I can say is WOW!!!
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by eduson33(m): 9:52am On Oct 30, 2013
cry
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Baba419(m): 11:32am On Oct 30, 2013
I could swear lamar odom is in the second picture

1 Like

Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Marotzke(m): 11:39am On Oct 30, 2013
Nigerians with our copy copy mentality, Don't try this at home, or anywhere within the Nigerian federation. If you see where they wan Aluu (lynch) Boko members, SE/SS kidnappers or SW armed robbers, run for your life o. No go carry body throway on top persin we dem wan barbecue because say you read am for Nairaland. If you try am, some tribal idiots fit substitute you with the criminal sef. The rest we will read in Nairaland.
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Danhumprey: 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
This is so touching! It shows that we still have people who are humane enough to go through pains for the comfort of others,who may not do same to them if they had the chance.

1 Like

Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Ollybarbie219(f): 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2013
Marotzke: Nigerians with our copy copy mentality, Don't try this at home, or anywhere within the Nigerian federation. If you see where they wan Aluu (lynch) Boko members, SE/SS kidnappers or SW armed robbers, run for your life o. No go carry body throway on top persin we dem wan barbecue because say you read am for Nairaland. If you try am, some tribal idiots fit substitute you with the criminal sef. The rest we will read in Nairaland.
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Deschil: 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2013
I love this!!! smiley
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by ednut1(m): 2:39pm On Oct 30, 2013
Kkk mofo, I have no sympathy for dem, shud hv beenn killed

1 Like

Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 30, 2013
ednut1: Kkk mofo, I have no sympathy for dem, shud hv beenn killed
THE best revenge one can give to an enemy is forgiveness.
Re: This Photos Will Change Your View Of Humanity by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2013
undecided well, it still changes nada abt humanity!

(1) (Reply)

APC releases timetable for party primaries / Opinion: Re: Ihejirika-gate And Journalism In Nigeria / [full Text] President Jonathan’s New Year Broadcast Speech On 1st January 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.