Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? (27888 Views)

A Ghastly Motor Accident Along Akure - Ilesha Expressway / Car Mileage And Engine Performance / Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 6:17am On Jul 27, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by TheMaster: 6:53am On Jul 27, 2008
Ivie,

Thanks for your response. I am in Nigeria and the car is a 2007 Camry 2.4L. The manufacturer's recommended oil is 5W 20 or 0w 20. However, I used Mobil 1 0w 40 synthetic oil. I wanted to find out if I should do an oil change immediately? What oil will be best for the car in Nigeria?

Many thanks
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by chipongi: 11:12am On Jul 27, 2008
Ivie, i should think you are fine with the current oil because of the hot weather in Nigeria,
the more regular oil change the better if you can afford it i would recommend every 8000 - 10000 kms
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 12:05am On Jul 28, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by TheMaster: 8:32pm On Jul 28, 2008
Ivie,
Your technical knowledge is amazing! Many thanks.

I have started searching for Mobil 1 5w 20. My nearest Mobil service station only has 0w 40. Will search more,

Anyone who knows a Mobil station that stocks wide range of Mobil 1 oil should kindly let me know.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Ivvie: 10:33pm On Jul 28, 2008
`
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by sojioguns(m): 11:06am On May 07, 2009
Hi guys, I just got delivery of a 2004 Volvo S60 2.5turbo and I would like some advice. The manual says recommended oil is 10W30 in tropical regions but I have gone to all reputable stations and the only one I saw was 20W50 oil. Is it safe to use that in my car, since Lagos gets pretty hot?
From several internet forums, users recommend Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so right now I am very worried as to how I can get such oil and genuine oil filters.
Thanks for replies.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by earthrealm(m): 2:58pm On Jun 25, 2009
the danger is in swapping diff oils, ie switching 4rm synthetic to normal oils.thats a big NO NO!!!, using diff kinds of oil, i repeat kinds, not brands affects the engine severly since the o rings n seals hv already adjusted to 1 kind of oil, now switching to anoda kind of oil will make dem brittle/detoriate.

i think there are about 3 kinds of oil in the naija market.

1, SYNTHETHIC OIL
2. MINERAL OIL
3, OTHERS,
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by anneki(m): 3:35pm On Mar 26, 2011
For those who are presently experiencing challenges with poor fuel. Chevron techron, seafoam, Marvel mystery oil, and lucas fuel treatment are available and can be obtained from nissparts which is at 27 Opebi Rd, Ikeja.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by TCann(m): 10:18am On Dec 13, 2011
Good day to all the Auto Lubricant Gurus in the house,

I 've a question?

I serviced my 2002 xterra with premium Mobile 1 engine oil before travelling with it to Abuja in September, 2011 and since after then, i had done two Osogbo trips. Other usage is just Island to home daily commuting. Reading this thread, I ve gained alot of insight as to what to use to service one's car. My ques are:

[size=20pt]1. I am travelling for xmas, should i service again b4 setting out?

2. The SUV is 10 yrs old, reading from this thread, shouldnt I stop using a light oil as Mobile 1 for the 10 yr old car?

3. Considering the type of vehicle, average usage and age, what type of oil will be best to service the car with?[/size]

Thank you all in anticipation of your responses.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by anneki(m): 10:01am On Aug 22, 2012
Below are charts from Honda and Toyota. They provide useful information as to the oil viscosities we should use.

The 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils are available online @ , www.jumia.com, www.webmallng.com.

and

Solutions Plus - 297 Borno Way, Yaba, Lagos. 07067009400, 07081609482, and 09096851969.

and should only be considered if your owners manual or engine oil cover caps call for it.

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by bigdoo: 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by juliuskay(m): 9:57pm On Apr 14, 2013
pls my honda accord 2004 is shortting engine oil and slow in speed after along trip . pls which engine oil should i use. the miles is 57 and there is no leakege any where. some body dhld help me pls.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 1:07am On Apr 15, 2013
juliuskay: pls my honda accord 2004 is shortting engine oil and slow in speed after along trip . pls which engine oil should i use. the miles is 57 and there is no leakege any where. some body dhld help me pls.

Your query isn't clear. And I don't understand your mileage.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by timsobj: 12:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
The type and/or quality of oil used in a car affects to a large extent the performance. When low quality oil is used in an engine friction (wear & tear) will be high thus iron filling will be noticed in used oil. This condition if allowed to advance will create clearance between mating metals surfaces with resultant wearing out of the engine vital components. Usually, if friction not is reduced to a mechanically negligible level with quality oil in an engine there will be drags, heat,'sludge'& poor performance & delivery. It's usually adviceable to protect engine's vital components with Green Engine Revolution Technology Products - metal treatment concentrate. for more info visit: www.greenenginerevolution.com or call 08033527026 or nearest Automedics workshops.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
OP, please go right now to change the oil with the correct brand and weight. Change the filter too. Then a month later repeat, once.

If my car this is what I'll do but I change my own oil so this will never happen to me.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by aeu1: 11:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
For enlightenment sake, if an approved engine oil is 5w30 for a car but in event of non availability of such decides to use a thinner oil such as 5w20 + oil treatment (to improve the viscosity), is there any danger in doing this?
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 18, 2014
aeu1: For enlightenment sake, if an approved engine oil is 5w30 for a car but in event of non availability of such decides to use a thinner oil such as 5w20 + oil treatment (to improve the viscosity), is there any danger in doing this?

Read your owners manual. Most cars have a range of oil that you can use based on driving condition.
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by Milemaster: 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
Good motor oil need not be treated with " oil treatment "or " additives". Follow your manufacturers recommendation. They have conducted various tests and are thus in a position to advise on the oil viscosity to use based on operating conditions.

This information is available in the owners manual. If you do not have a car manual such information is equally available online or from any friend/colleague who has the same car and possibly the manual.

5w-20 and 5w-30 motor oils are available in conventional, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic form from a lot of independent vendors in-country. The brands on offer are mobil1, castrol, valvoline, motor craft, honda, Toyota, MileMaster, etc to name a few. You have to do a bit of searching online to locate them.

Many of these vendors advertise on nairaland and this website is a good enough starting point.

1 Like

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by USPlaceofAutos: 4:19pm On Feb 06, 2017
DuraMAX Full Synthetic Motor Oil is manufactured in the USA, it is API rated and is available in the following SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-20

...the engine oil that puts more money in your pocket

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by USPlaceofAutos: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
DuraMAX lubricants are made in the USA, cheaper than most of the other oils manufactured in the USA even though they have passed through the same standards. DuraMAX Engine Oil is fully licensed and meets or exceed the most complex and rigorous international standards including the most recent API-SN and ILSAC- GF 5 certification. Based on manufacturer’s recommendation, both the Full Synthetic and Synthetic blend of lubricants are suitable for use in a combine estimate of 99 percent of today’s vehicular application.

DuraMAX Full Synthetic Oil are available in 5W-20, 5W-30, 0W-20. Check it out today!!!

You can also buy DuraMAX from [url=/us-place-of-autos]Konga[/url]

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by USPlaceofAutos: 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Multigrade oils such as SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 are widely used because, under all but extremely hot or cold conditions, they are thin enough to flow at low temperatures and thick enough to perform satisfactorily at high temperatures. Note that vehicle requirements may vary. Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on SAE oil viscosity grade. Reference: http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/mom_guide_english_2013.pdf

Contact Information:
[url=usplaceofautos.com]US Place of Autos[/url]
10, Veteran Plaza,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by cbravo(m): 10:10pm On May 03, 2017
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by cbravo3: 10:12pm On May 03, 2017
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by OShepherd: 4:45pm On Oct 07, 2018
Midas02:
oh boy, this thing is not as complex as some will have you believe. You do not need a degree in mechatronics and electromechanical engineering, nor do you need an Einstein to propound the theory of kinematic velocity and all kinds of useless gibberish!.

It is tooo much work to write, I am feeling lazy, however my advice:
Listen to Sultaan, listen to Siena, listen to Promise72 and the guys who concur with them and you will be fine.
Most new cars and cars after 2000 use the thinner grade of oil which is 5W-30 or 0W-40 (depending on recommendation)
However cars before this mainly used 10W-30 (recommended)
When the car gets to be over 100K - 120k miles you may move to 10W-40
If your car is really advanced in use and age and has started to exhibit signs of wear/loss of compression/smoke, then you should use 20W/50 to reduce its inevitable decline in performance and blow-by.
The most important thing is to change your oil regularly (every 3 months or use mileage) and make sure you change your oil filter too, otherwise the purpose is defeated!

I believe either the mechanics messed your engine up by forgetting to do something vital or they used adulterated oil and not the original. Cos even if you use oil that is not recommended, it shouldn't mess your engine up (especially over such a short term), it usually only affects the performance, response and long term durability of an engine. As long as your engine has some oil lubrication (whether recommended or not) it should not knock. Period!
Can AutoGurus in d house confirm this? How true is this assertion of yours? The older the engine-the heavier the oil?
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:06am On Oct 08, 2018

Your query isn't clear. And I don't understand your mileage.

he is saying his car uses more oil when he drives long distance

generally we say his car is burning oil roughly oil rings are gone there arw letting oil into the combustation chamber, if not there is a seal gone letting oil into the combustation system

the mileage thing, generally mileage tell us how the car has been so the higher the mileage the higher we expect the oil seals/rings to be gone though it varies due to how well was the kept i.e service

so he correct to tell us about mileage
Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:52am On Oct 08, 2018
there are 3 basic rules to follow on oil assuming you are buying a reputable brand oil

1 know average winter morning temperatures (hence number like 0w 5w 15 w) the number represent how thick is oil in winter morning, the lower the number thinner it is in very cold morning the thinner it is the quick it get pumped up to various parts the less wear and tear during start up and driving before operating temperature, so then higher number before W eg 20w the thick it is in a cold morning, so the thicker it is the more time it takes to get to the various part the more tear and wear occurs

2 follow your manufacturer guide as they know what type oil is good for those oil passages at certain temperatures

these oils are a mixture of three things 1 how fast it gets to parts at cold start 2 how thin it is at operating temperature too think is not good at operating tempetarature as it would squeezed off completely from parts that press on each therefore wear and occure , oil should a cushion it cant when it too thin while hot so the other number eg 05w 30, 30 represents how thin is oil at operating temperature though this was measured at 100 degrees, so the higher the number the more thinner at 100

Re: How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? by koolnd: 1:36pm On Apr 11, 2019
Assessment of the Factors That Influence the Purpose of the Philips Lubricants by Car Users in Lagos State

http://www.scharticles.com/factors-that-influence-the-purpose-of-the-philips-lubricants-by-car-users/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit / Dream Cars Of Our Fathers From The Past. / Meet The 1,000 HP Mercedes Hypercar.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.