Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Today Is All Saints Day! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Is All Saints Day! (2089 Views)

Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! / All Saints Day / All Saints Day! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is All Saints Day! by Richieboyn: 12:35am On Nov 01, 2013
All Saints Day, the day on which Catholics celebrate all the saints, known and unknown, is a surprisingly old feast. It arose out of the Christian tradition of celebrating the martyrdom of saints on the anniversary of their martyrdom. When martyrdoms increased during the persecutions of the late Roman Empire, local dioceses instituted a common feast day in order to ensure that all martyrs, known and unknown, were properly honored.

QUICK FACTS:

Date: November 1
Type of Feast: Solemnity; Holy Day of Obligation.
Readings: Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14; Psalm 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6; 1 John 3:1-3; Matthew 5:1-12a.
Prayers: Litany of the Saints
Other Names for the Feast: All Saints' Day, Feast of All Saints

History of All Saints Day:

By the late fourth century, this common feast was celebrated in Antioch, and Saint Ephrem the Syrian mentioned it in a sermon in 373. In the early centuries, this feast was celebrated in the Easter season, and the Eastern Churches, both Catholic and Orthodox, still celebrate it then.

The current date of November 1 was instituted by Pope Gregory III (731-741), when he consecrated a chapel to all the martyrs in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and ordered an annual celebration. This celebration was originally confined to the diocese of Rome, but Pope Gregory IV (827-844) extended the feast to the entire Church and ordered it to be celebrated on November 1.

The vigil or eve of the feast, October 31, is commonly known as All Hallows Eve, or Halloween. Despite concerns among some Christians (including some Catholics) in recent years about the "pagan origins" of Halloween (see Halloween, Jack Chick, and Anti-Catholicism), the vigil was celebrated from the beginning—long before Irish practices, stripped of their pagan origins (just as the Christmas tree was stripped of similar connotations), were incorporated into popular celebrations of the feast.

Source: catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/p/All_Saints_Day.htm

ATTEND MASS IN YOUR PARISHES TODAY! SHALOM!

2 Likes

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by damoskiy(m): 3:47am On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 01, 2013
Happy feast of all saints to all christians!

My patron saints :St Perpetua and felicity ,pray for me
Our Lady Queen of Perpetual help,pray for me.

*Non catholics,google is your friend incase you wanna know the story of the saints*

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by italo: 10:38am On Nov 01, 2013
Happy Solemnity to everyone.

@peppyluv, I'm sorry we couldn't communicate via pm. My email has issues. If you give me your email, I'd be glad to send you an email. Thanks.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Syncan(m): 11:30am On Nov 01, 2013
Happy All saints day to us all. If they could do it, we can!
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Ubenedictus(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
happy feast day, may d saints continue to interceed for us
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
White saints.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Syncan(m): 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: White saints.

Do these look white to you? St. Charles Lwanga and companions

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
^^^

Are they saints? Which days are they celebrated?
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Syncan(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: ^^^

Are they saints? Which days are they celebrated?

Sure. 3rd June is particularly reserved for them in the Universal Church.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by italo: 3:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
^^^

Then 1st of November too.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
Inferior "saints" then.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by italo: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
St. Bakhita

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by italo: 3:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
We must understand that satan and his cohorts cannot be happy that we are celebrating the Saints who have glorified God with their lives.

For them, it must feel like hot coal being heaped upon their heads.

All ye Saints of God, pray for us!
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Syncan(m): 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Inferior "saints" then.

Then don't blame anyone else of racism against you, if you have such low opinion about yourself.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by SalC: 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
Happy all Saint's Day!
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by daontop: 6:05am On Nov 02, 2013
St Padre Pio... My patron saint....

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by daontop: 6:05am On Nov 02, 2013
St Padre Pio... My patron saint....

Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 02, 2013
Anglicans and copy copy,they have started celebrating all saints,the same people that ask new coverts to reject satan and the saints!! No jokes it hapnd in a weddin @ awka and the girl refused and almost ended the marriage.
They also told her to reject mary but on good fridays the women wear black in honour of mary....smh @ d confused fellas
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:57pm On Nov 02, 2013
Syncan:

Then don't blame anyone else of racism against you, if you have such low opinion about yourself.

No. The white saints have special days in which they are celebrated, but the black one doesn't. that's inferior
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by Syncan(m): 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

No. The white saints have special days in which they are celebrated, but the black one doesn't. that's inferior

I expect you to do better than this.
Re: Today Is All Saints Day! by woky: 8:20pm On Nov 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

must u let everyone knw dat u ar stupid?? Hide ur stupidity for 1ce naa..

(1) (Reply)

Proof;women Created First Before Men / Happy 34th Anniversary To Winners Chapel.. / Double Portion Crusade With Pastor W.F. Kumuyi In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.