Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? (2071 Views)

What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community / Which Village Are You From? Represent Your Village Here / Igbo Deities Across Igboland....give Your Community/town's Own! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by huxley(m): 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2008
This post will resonate better (methinks) to people who have lived or are living outside of Africa or in areas of diverse ethnic backgrounds.

If you are Black or African do you sometimes get the feeling that some other Black or African person is representing you or speaking or acting on your behalf, sometimes unbeknown to this individual that they are carrying the whole weight of an entire "race" or continent on their shoulders? For instance Colin Powell or Condeleeza Rice or Koffi Aman - do you feel that these individuals are speaking for or representing their "race" or ethnicity in the course of their public appearances or duties?

Do you also feel that when you are out in the wider whole you are representing your entire race, ethnicity or tribe? How well does that responsibility rest on your head?
Re: Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by drrionelli(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2008
I live in the US, which is, by definition, a republic. Having another represent us on any of a number of levels is a way of life for us, here.

I do wish to take issue with you, huxley, on your question of "race." Your posts indicate intelligence and thoughtfulness, so I trust that you will know that I'm not flaming, nor am I baiting when I suggest this.

"Race" is something that science has yet to define, largely because it is thought to be a non-existent concept. How do you define "race" and why do you define it as such? I trust that you must define it in some way as to inquire of our opinions about it.
Re: Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by huxley(m): 12:05am On Jul 11, 2008
drrionelli:

I live in the US, which is, by definition, a republic. Having another represent us on any of a number of levels is a way of life for us, here.

I do wish to take issue with you, huxley, on your question of "race." Your posts indicate intelligence and thoughtfulness, so I trust that you will know that I'm not flaming, nor am I baiting when I suggest this.

"Race" is something that science has yet to define, largely because it is thought to be a non-existent concept. How do you define "race" and why do you define it as such? I trust that you must define it in some way as to inquire of our opinions about it.

You have put your finger on exactly the unease I also have with the word. That is why I put it in double quote because I could not think of a better substitute world and convey the same thrust of the post. So for now, I would suggest we lose our pedantry about this word and just see the deeper issues of the questions.
Re: Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by lazy(m): 2:16am On Jul 11, 2008
huxley:

This post will resonate better (methinks) to people who have lived or are living outside of Africa or in areas of diverse ethnic backgrounds.

If you are Black or African do you sometimes get the feeling that some other Black or African person is representing you or speaking or acting on your behalf, sometimes unbeknown to this individual that they are carrying the whole weight of an entire "race" or continent on their shoulders? For instance Colin Powell or Condeleeza Rice or Koffi Aman - do you feel that these individuals are speaking for or representing their "race" or ethnicity in the course of their public appearances or duties?

Do you also feel that when you are out in the wider whole you are representing your entire race, ethnicity or tribe? How well does that responsibility rest on your head?

I think people don't want to feel that they are but you are in the States to a certain extent.

As far as the responsibly, I think I handle it fine when I am at work and when I went to school. I know I got tired of it when I grew up because I went to grade school and highschool in an area where there weren't many Black people. I was known as the Smart "Black" guy? Like many Black people aren't smart. (UGH!!! people need to stop watching so much T.V.) However, that is how it was. I think that was one of the reasons why I choose to go to an HBCU. (also because both my parents, older siblings, and just about all of the older professionals I grew up knowing went. LOL!) I just wanted a break from Race for 4 years where I wasn't the Smart "Black" guy but rather just a Smart guy. I have the rest of my life to deal with Race. LOL!! cheesy

Race is just another way of categorizing human beings just like we categorize people by nationality (ie Nigerian, Canadian, etc). Scientifically it is garbage but it is a reality. When someone wants to describe someone, they will say he/she was a "Black" person, "White" person, or whatever.
Re: Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by drrionelli(m): 5:30pm On Jul 11, 2008
@lazy:
I can appreciate your sentiments about being the "Smart, Black guy" as I, too, was subjected to that! Such qualified compliments were (and are) frustrating.

Your point is on target with respect to the word "race" being used to categorize. At least with one's nationality, one can tangibly verify a designation. That we attempt to classify people by "race" (which, as you note, is truly a garbage description) only further emphasizes the contempt in which we hold not only one another, but also ourselves.
Re: Do You Represent Your Community? Does Someone Else Represent You? by lazy(m): 10:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
drrionelli:

@lazy:
I can appreciate your sentiments about being the "Smart, Black guy" as I, too, was subjected to that! Such qualified compliments were (and are) frustrating.

Your point is on target with respect to the word "race" being used to categorize. At least with one's nationality, one can tangibly verify a designation. That we attempt to classify people by "race" (which, as you note, is truly a garbage description) only further emphasizes the contempt in which we hold not only one another, but also ourselves.

I am glad someone else out there feels me! cheesy

I agree that nationality is easier to designate and is probably the easiest out of all the catagorizations. All one has to do is look at the passport that they hold. That is what you are. People can scream all they want but your passport holds you Nationality. Well I think we view Race negatively because it is something that is garbage science but also and maybe most importantly because of the way it was used and its history.

(1) (Reply)

I Nid A Babalawo / Evidence Of Fr. Shanahan On The Igbo People. / Traditional Marriage In Aro Kingdom And Its Various Stages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.