Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? (4607 Views)

Woman Gives Birth To Baby Without Arms In Ogun (the Baby Pictured) / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Utchry: 1:27am On Nov 03, 2013
Hello house,

Is it right for a baby born out of wedlock and was denied by the father right from conception to bear the the biological father's name (even though he denied the child) or bear the mother's maiden name?

For me, I think baby should bear pappy's name notwithstanding because its not the mum's dad that impregnated her so y bear mum's maiden name?

I would like to have genuine contributions here & reasons for your opinion.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Lexusgs430: 4:29am On Nov 03, 2013
Considering the fact that paternity was denied, I personally do not see or know why, the baby should adopt his/her fathers name. The moment he denied/refused the child, he has/had lost that privilege.

7 Likes

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Kanwulia: 5:11am On Nov 03, 2013
The father's last name ALWAYS!!!
Married or NOT!!!
If a woman does not know whodunnit. . . . .then the child should bear HER FIRST NAME as a LAST NAME or name the child JOHN OR JANE DOE!!!!

OR JOHN OR JANE "Q" PUBLIC like we do in the white man's land.
PERIOD!!!!
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by temi4fash(m): 5:37am On Nov 03, 2013
Kanwulia: The father's last name ALWAYS!!!
Married or NOT!!!
If a woman does not know whodunnit. . . . .then the child should bear HER FIRST NAME as a LAST NAME or name the child JOHN OR JANE DOE!!!!

PERIOD!!!!

madam... U need Jesus

1 Like

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Mavrick2012: 5:49am On Nov 03, 2013
temi4fash:

madam... U need Jesus
religious dogmatism! "madam" just xpressd her opinion,tell "madam" WHY u disagree wit her n stop tellin her she needs ur jesus,"madam" should b matured enof to know if she needs "jesus",mohamed,her husband or her brain.

1 Like

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Mavrick2012: 5:49am On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by bellong: 8:05am On Nov 03, 2013
Why throw your pearls to the dog.

If he denies paternity, use any name that suit you.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Utchry: 10:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Kanwulia: The father's last name ALWAYS!!!
Married or NOT!!!

PERIOD!!!!

Please kindly give reason(s) why baby should bear father's last name. She knows the father. In fact he was the only guy she was intimate with at the time.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Utchry: 10:23pm On Nov 03, 2013
I appreciate all your comments & opinion but what exactly is the RIGHT THING to do?
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Lexusgs430: 2:40am On Nov 04, 2013
Utchry: I appreciate all your comments & opinion but what exactly is the RIGHT THING to do?

There is no RIGHT answer, neither is their a WRONG answer. Its a matter of personal opinion that the individual affected would have to take. As you can tell from the responses received.

1 Like

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Kanwulia: 5:58am On Nov 04, 2013
Utchry:

Please kindly give reason(s) why baby should bear father's last name. She knows the father. In fact he was the only guy she was intimate with at the time.

Are you asking me for reasons why a child should bear his or her OWN FATHER'S name? Na my name im go h-answer before?
Abi na for Ghana una dey live? grin

As long as a man took off his rain-boots in a storm, he gave up his rights to that name! kiss

He invited ANY Isaac, Esau or Jacob to bear it! He needs to head to court to prove otherwise.

Shikena-Shikena o! kiss
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by slimyem: 6:23am On Nov 04, 2013
Much ado...!!

Just name him whatever u please. Give him a simple defining identity cool
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by callola: 9:35am On Nov 04, 2013
In my tribe (anambra state) if a woman have a child out of wedlock, d child bears d maiden' name. As far as we are concern, any child born out of wedlock belongs to d lady's family even if the man marries d gal later he must forego d child unless his inlaws decides to dash him

2 Likes

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by ifyalways(f): 10:50am On Nov 04, 2013
callola: In my tribe (anambra state) if a woman have a child out of wedlock, d child bears d maiden' name. As far as we are concern, any child born out of wedlock belongs to d lady's family even if the man marries d gal later he must forego d child unless his inlaws decides to dash him
Indeed. See ya mouth like Anambra state and dash him child. Mscheeew
Just say in your hood or villa but do not involve a whole state in your lofty dreams. thank yous.

@Topic,Much ado about a not-so-well-planned kpekus. Na only for internet dem dey ask dis kain question. Go ask Annie Idibia,lola Omotayo and Genenvive the surnames of their various children pre and before proposal.

Baby North West nko ?

Give pikin im papa name- simple. If you no remember him papa name,give am your own papa name or any name you fancy. kiss
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by coogar: 1:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
Utchry: Hello house,

Is it right for a baby born out of wedlock and was denied by the father right from conception to bear the the biological father's name (even though he denied the child) or bear the mother's maiden name?

For me, I think baby should bear pappy's name notwithstanding because its not the mum's dad that impregnated her so y bear mum's maiden name?

I would like to have genuine contributions here & reasons for your opinion.

the surname belongs to the spërm donor - the fact that he's absent now or denying responsibility does not mean he won't be back. he's the biological father of the child, no amount of sentiments can erase that fact -

her job is even made easier, she knows the father.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Nnekacherry: 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2013
callola: In my tribe (anambra state) if a woman have a child out of wedlock, d child bears d maiden' name. As far as we are concern, any child born out of wedlock belongs to d lady's family even if the man marries d gal later he must forego d child unless his inlaws decides to dash him

Exactly
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Afam4eva(m): 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
What if the lady was r.aped. Should she also name the baby after the r.apist? Assuming she knows the surname of the person.

Personally, i don't think there's any rule guiding this so you can name the child after whoever. I'll advise the lady to name the child after her own surname though.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by coogar: 9:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
Afam4eva: What if the lady was r.aped. Should she also name the baby after the r.apist? Assuming she knows the surname of the person.

Personally, i don't think there's any rule guiding this so you can name the child after whoever. I'll advise the lady to name the child after her own surname though.

why would any lady keep the pregnancy of a räpist in the first place? aren't there medical procedures to flush the victim's system in incidents like rapë? afam, why did you trade your IQ for a plate of porridge?
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by tintingz(m): 9:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
The baby will bear the surname of the original sperm the real father smiley
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Afam4eva(m): 9:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
coogar:

why would any lady keep the pregnancy of a räpist in the first place? aren't there medical procedures to flush the victim's system in incidents like rapë? afam, why did you trade your IQ for a plate of porridge?
This is Nigeria and Nigerians are religious people and won't go about killing their baby because it came from a r.ape. The fact that you Londoners r.ape, defend r.apists and end up flushing the baby doesn't mean we Nigerians do the same.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by coogar: 9:45pm On Nov 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is Nigeria and Nigerian are religious people and won't go about killing their baby because it came from a r.ape. The fact that you Londoners r.ape, defend r.apists and end up flushing the baby doesn't mean we Nigerians do the same.

see hypocrisy....
nigeria have the highest number of abortions on the planet. are you kidding me? which nigerians are religious? the same ones that are kidnapping & shipping pröstitutes to europe on a regular? religious my foot!!!
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by callola: 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
@ ify, u r entitle to ur own opinion. But if u r frm anambra ask very well abt children born out of wedlock. D man can claim his child if he negotiate wit d gal kinsmen bt its very difficult to release d child to d biological father. D igbos r interestd in d dowary payment more than d traditional wedding
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by ifyalways(f): 10:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is Nigeria and Nigerians are religious people and won't go about killing their baby because it came from a r.ape. The fact that you Londoners r.ape, defend r.apists and end up flushing the baby doesn't mean we Nigerians do the same.
Biko get in touch.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Nobody: 1:36am On Nov 05, 2013
@ifyalways, that poster is very right. At least in most town I know of.In my place even if the sperm donor decides to marry the gal later, he do so without d baby.
The baby bears the mother's family surname and belongs to her family.its non negotiable.

And to u guys that said the man's name, what right has he?
A very sure way to make irresponsible men pay for their wicked deed. A situation of she is good for bleeping but not good for marriage abi?
Then later d idiot will come and claim his child, e kwa, bc he donated sperm?
I'm yet to c such person.
Infact, u can cohabit with our gal and hv like four kids, once no dowry, anytime the kinsmen r ready, they will go and take the shildren and there is nothing u can do about it.
Take them to court, u will never win.simple. Its constitutional.
Sorry, u don't eat ur cake and hv it.
We don't joke with our shildren!

2 Likes

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by greatgod2012(f): 5:44am On Nov 05, 2013
tintingz: The baby will bear the surname of the original sperm the real father smiley

and what if he doesn't know the name of the real father, like the prost itutes who mistakenly got pregnant and didnt discover early?

Or where multiple boyfriends were involved, etc.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by callola: 9:12am On Nov 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw: @ifyalways, that poster is very right. At least in most town I know of.In my place even if the sperm donor decides to marry the gal later, he do so without d baby.
The baby bears the mother's family surname and belongs to her family.its non negotiable.

And to u guys that said the man's name, what right has he?
A very sure way to make irresponsible men pay for their wicked deed. A situation of she is good for bleeping but not good for marriage abi?
Then later d idiot will come and claim his child, e kwa, bc he donated sperm?
I'm yet to c such person.
Infact, u can cohabit with our gal and hv like four kids, once no dowry, anytime the kinsmen r ready, they will go and take the shildren and there is nothing u can do about it.
Take them to court, u will never win.simple. Its constitutional.
Sorry, u don't eat ur cake and hv it.
We don't joke with our shildren!
exactly. No dowry, no pikin(s). Even if na 2mao d man wil pay d dowry and d gal put to birth 2day. D man shuld 4get d child except if d kinsmen want to pity him and dash him d child
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by tintingz(m): 2:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
greatgod2012:

and what if he doesn't know the name of the real father, like the prost itutes who mistakenly got pregnant and didnt discover early?

Or where multiple boyfriends were involved, etc.
If she doesn't know the father of the baby then the baby will bear the surname of the girl's father but if she knows the father of the baby, the baby will have to bear the original father's surname no matter what, the father might come back for the child. If the baby na dangote or mike Adenuga child nko? grin
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by soulglo: 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2013
If it was me the child would bare my family name because my family and I would be the ones raising the child. If I had gone to a sperm bank would they tell me to give the child the name of the sperm donor?
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
The man said he doesn't want the child. What's the brouhaha for again?
Why force a child to answer the name of a person who doesn't want them.if they grow up and notice they have a different surname from the others,what will you tell them? Your father rejected you but I named u after him anyways.
Hian.
He doesn't want the child.leave him alone. Abort the foetus or give birth to it and name them after yourself and your family. Or they can be a unique baby and not have a surname like Jesus(I don't knw his surnme) or Abraham(not sure he had a surname too)

People can stress themselves sha.

Person no want child u dey force am give am pikin undecided

1 Like

Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by chineloSA(f): 9:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
lorretta u: The man said he doesn't want the child. What's the brouhaha for again?
Why force a child to answer the name of a person who doesn't want them.if they grow up and notice they have a different surname from the others,what will you tell them? Your father rejected you but I named u after him anyways.
Hian.
He doesn't want the child.leave him alone. Abort the foetus or give birth to it and name them after yourself and your family. Or they can be a unique baby and not have a surname like Jesus(I don't knw his surnme) or Abraham(not sure he had a surname too)

People can stress themselves sha.

Person no want child u dey force am give am pikin undecided

True. Personally I would give the child my surname. Then he becomes my brother cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 05, 2013

You are on point,though I don't think onitsha practice that.
Re: Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear? by Ayotundesh: 8:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
I think the child should have your name for now and when you marry both of you will change your names to your husband's name.

Name has to do with belonging to a family, not donating sperm and running away and coming back or in and out as he likes..

Name has to do with belongibg to a family or tribe who will be responsible for one another by vows.

There are men that donate sperms for those finding it difficult to have children...that does not mean the babies will have his name.

so dear to the man that will father you and the child, that's the name both of you should have and if the man has not come but is on his way, use your own name for now.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Judge Between My Husband And Me Who's Wrong / Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. / Help! How Can I Deal With A Difficult Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.