Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force (30505 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by bcomputer101: 2:23am On Nov 04, 2013
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan will meet the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities on Monday (today), apparently with a view to resolve the Federal Government-ASUU face-off that has left varsity gates shut since July 1.

But the union said it had got wind of Presidency’s plan to direct that universities be reopened, saying such directive without amicable resolution of the current strike would deepen the crisis.

Chairman of ASUU, University of Uyo chapter, Dr. Nwachukwu Anyim, said this in a statement in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Sunday, saying that the union leaders were invited by the President.

Anyim said the invitation by Jonathan should ordinarily inspired hopes that the four-month-old strike by the lectures would soon end but that the union needed to be cautious in its optimism.

His statement read, “We are aware that President Jonathan intends to meet with the leadership of ASUU tomorrow, Monday, November 4, 2013, in a bid to address the deadlock in the ongoing strike by the members of the union.

“Ordinarily, the invitation by the President to the union would give the impression that the resolution of the strike was on the horizon. While we appreciate the present show of concern from the high office of the Presidency, we are, however, cautious in our optimism that the meeting between the President of the country and the union would yield desired results.

“The apparent lack of enthusiasm among our members concerning the outcome of the meeting is based on government’s lack of commitment towards the implementation of the 2009 FGN/ASUU Agreement and the memorandum signed with ASUU. While we hope that the Federal Government would see reason to finally resolve the issues in contention, we urge well -meaning Nigerians and stakeholders to persuade government to implement the agreement with the union in order to save Nigeria’s public universities.”

It added, “We have received information that President Jonathan intends to direct that universities should be re-opened immediately. As a branch, we do not think that such a directive would resolve the issues at stake. Rather, such a directive would deepen the prevailing crisis. A show of force by the president could only, at best, result in a “pyrrhic victory.”

“We stand on the existing agreement between the union and the Federal Government. The MoU between government and ASUU and also the NEEDS Assessment Report should provide the road map for the resolution of the ongoing strike by ASUU.”

Source: www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-meets-ASUU-today-union-warns-against-force/
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Paeyne(m): 2:58am On Nov 04, 2013
am i really the first to comment? Anyway, let's watch and see how this plays out.
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by rhazhaqh: 3:09am On Nov 04, 2013
make dem do sharperly
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mnewton(m): 3:24am On Nov 04, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 5:45am On Nov 04, 2013
Okay, lets see if GEJ is capable of holding his own with the union leaders
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by walad4yhu(m): 5:49am On Nov 04, 2013
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:56am On Nov 04, 2013
undecided war-refa!!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by LordMecuzy(m): 6:00am On Nov 04, 2013
Abeg They Should Hurry Up na, My Msc Accounting Don do 3years now like play sad
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 6:02am On Nov 04, 2013
Lord Mecuzy: Abeg They Should Hurry Up na, My Msc Accounting Don do 3years now like play sad
You for go Lagos Business School na

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by bcomputer101: 6:21am On Nov 04, 2013
Lord Mecuzy: Abeg They Should Hurry Up na, My Msc Accounting Don do 3years now like play sad

Na only you first go tertiary institution for your village?

Who ask you the program you are running?

Abi you don loss your BSC certificate ni?

Pray make ASUU call off the strike and stop telling us story here...

Me self na PHD student of CHANGE BY BARTER...

Ode!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by ignis: 6:27am On Nov 04, 2013
Fear has taken over ASUU already.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by mayorall(m): 6:28am On Nov 04, 2013
Don't trust Mr president, this might be a trick to get an English teacher for his wife grin grin

23 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 6:31am On Nov 04, 2013
ignis: Fear has taken over ASUU already.
I doubt you have met union leaders. They are some of the bravest peeps I have seen in this country

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by highlandre(m): 7:03am On Nov 04, 2013
I hope something good comes out of this meeting. Both govt and ASUU should make reasonable concessions and allow for resolutions that would improve teaching and learning conditions in our Unis.

ASUU must not be too stubborn with its skyrocketted demands as this may further delay govt action; Jonathan on the other hand should stop pointing fingers at the opposition - that's lame! If Oduah could spend hundreds of millions to buy 2 cars, students too deserve modern facilities to be trained with.

It's sad that after needlessly wasting students' study years, organizations and even government would still place age limit for employment. I think that's callous!

Jona, you're the leader, please end this strike!

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by wesley80(m): 7:11am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44:
I doubt you have met union leaders. They are some of the bravest peeps I have seen in this country
Inconsiderate, you meant.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2013
wesley80: Inconsiderate, you meant.
Maybe GEJ should stop making promises he can't keep

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 04, 2013
If dem lyk they sud meet wif Obama,nafin concern me!!ASUU r jst greedy and inconsiderate,st.upid set of psyciques!!!

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Hadeyeancah(m): 7:23am On Nov 04, 2013
We have already know what will be the outcome of the meeting....

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by raytony: 7:26am On Nov 04, 2013
Abi Jona wan turn dictator? Make him just organise some military men to give them small frog jump.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by wesley80(m): 8:08am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44:
Maybe GEJ should stop making promises he can't keep
Or maybe intellectuals should prove they actually have that thing called "intellect"!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Olugbenger(m): 8:12am On Nov 04, 2013
:
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 8:24am On Nov 04, 2013
wesley80: Or maybe intellectuals should prove they actually have that thing called "intellect"!
Meaning?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by wesley80(m): 8:35am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44:
Meaning?
Their 2009 agreement is a disgrace to the word "intellectual". That agreement would create more problems than it will solve in the near future.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Mynd44: 8:47am On Nov 04, 2013
wesley80: Their 2009 agreement is a disgrace to the word "intellectual". That agreement would create more problems than it will solve in the near future.
Then why did GEJ agree to it?

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by AMINDA: 8:47am On Nov 04, 2013
Harbosede02: If dem lyk they sud meet wif Obama,nafin concern me!!ASUU r jst greedy and inconsiderate,st.upid set of psyciques!!!
I am sure you wanted writing 'psychics'

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Dpeacemaker101: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2013
These ASUU leaders don't have the thought of their students in their minds, cause if they do they would called off this strike action a long time. Well, I wish them luck and I know the president will help the situation so that they can call it off ASAP.
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44:

That boldness and courage has turned to stupidity and inhumanity, TF students have been at for 4 months, for what?

They say our Universities are producing "half-baked" graduates. Except for science, I don't see how collecting huge sums from government will produce a better graduate. I'm not a science student but I heard they teach students Fortran 1995 in OAU, mere hearing '1995', this is 2013 (14 sef), when there is fortran 03, 08.

Part of the Universities problem comes from lazy lecturers. Science/tech related companies in Nigeria today have to send their to-be employees abroad to train! them before they start work.

What do we now say about graduates from the Faculty of Social sciences, Art, Environmental design, that don't meet our expectations of a graduate?
I'm not trying to defend the government, but the point I'm trying to get at is that the way Nigerian Universities are managed should be changed.

Just like Jamb that produces syllabus every 5 or so years, there should be a body that ensures that courses are up-to-date esp in science.

And the practice of always employing students that graduate with first class has to be scrutinized. I've seen students on 2nd class (upper division) who are generally better than the ones on 1st class. All what some of these 1st class students do is cram, cram their way to pass. How is someone that crams expected to be able to teach effectively?

I remember my SSC (statistics) lecturer in 200 level, that guy didn't know poo, all he did was bring a note (that he was probably taught with) write questions from the note, and solved from the note - he couldn't solve the advanced questions without looking at the note. On some occasions when the "igi-iwes" at the front brought difficult questions, he either gives it as assignment or starts asking anyone to come try it out, until the class ends. MY POINT NOT EVERYONE CAN TEACH. As intelligent as Einstein was, he might suck at teaching.

And Lecturers being treated as small gods, in the sense that no matter what they do, it is virtually impossible to report them. I'm happy OAU seems to be doing a little about this now. In school, I have a friend that performs better than me in virtually all the courses we do together. In one particular course (very simple course) I had an 'A' or 'B' and the guy had a 'F'. After disturbing the lecturer for a long time, he found out that the man did not even touch he's script and he just gave 'F', after much delay again the man gave him an 'E' and asked him to leave.

Now imagine someone trying maintain his 1st class, that 'E' is disastrous. The lecturer did not change it and the guy couldn't do anything, if he tries to report him (which afterall will end up like the case of our politicians), every other course that the lecturer teaches him in the coming years, he will fail them (and you know why) . In science its even worse, if you go to a lecturer to challenge your result, you will be replied with a threat, the threat is something like this "if you discover that that's your real score, I will give you an 'F'".

27 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by ignis: 10:22am On Nov 04, 2013
Hadeyeancah: We have already know what will be the outcome of the meeting....
And it is?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Olugbenger(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2013
Promhize:

That boldness and courage has turned to stupidity and inhumanity, TF students have been at for 4 months, for what?

They say our Universities are producing "half-baked" graduates, except for science, I don't see how collecting huge sums from government will produce a better graduate. I'm not a science student but I heard they teach students Fortran 1995 in OAU, mere hearing '1995', this is 2013 (14 sef), when there is fortran 03, 08.

The bulk of the Universities problem comes from lazy lecturers, science/tech related companies in Nigeria today have to send their to-be employees abroad to learn! them before they start work.

What do we now say about graduates from the Faculty of Social sciences, Art, Environmental design, that don't meet our expectations of a graduate?
I'm not trying to defend the government, but the point I'm trying to get at is that the way Nigerian Universities are managed should be changed.

Just like Jamb that produces syllabus every 5 or so years, there should be a body that ensures that courses are up-to-date esp in science.

And the practice of always employing students that graduate with first class has to be scrutinized. I've seen students on 2nd class (upper division) who are generally better than the ones on 1st class. All what some of these 1st class students do is cram, cram their way to pass. How is someone that crams expected to be able to teach effectively?

I remember my SSC (statistics) lecturer in 200 level, that guy didn't know poo, all he did was bring a note (that he was probably taught with) write questions from the note, and solved from the note - he couldn't solve the advanced questions without looking at the note. On some occasions when the "igi-iwes" at the front brought difficult questions, he either gives it as assignment or starts asking anyone to come try it out, until the class ends. MY POINT NOT EVERYONE CAN TEACH. As intelligent as Einstein was, he might suck at teaching.
You this boy, always speaking against ASUU. It's even more interesting when you claim to school at OAU.
How can we be sure you are not NANS president ? angry angry angry angry

OAU ASUU said you won't graduate oh, hope u haven't forgotten?

grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Olugbenger(m): 10:24am On Nov 04, 2013
Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:
You this boy, always speaking against ASUU. It's even more interesting when you claim to school at OAU.
How can we be sure you are not NANS president ?

ASUU said you won't graduate oh, hope u haven't forgotten?

If you notice that in this post I'm only addressing the few real problems, I'm a student and I don't like being at home for 4months when ASUU could have sued FG.

Me mentioning the finance part in the post was minimal, any true student and lecturer would agree with most of my points, I think I might have been too harsh on ASUU before but the truth be told most of our lecturers are not up-to-date and what I'm trying to say is that they have to start from themselves for people like me to really take them serious.

I'm not 'any' NANS president, I don't fancy politics, be it student union, FG or whatever sort

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan Meets ASUU Today, Union Warns Against Force by Olugbenger(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2013
Promhize:

If you notice that in this post I'm only addressing the few real problems, I'm a student and I don't like being at home for 4months when ASUU could have sued FG.

Me mentioning the finance part in the post was minimal, any true student and lecturer would agree with most of my points, I think I might have been too harsh on ASUU before but the truth be told most of our lecturers are not up-to-date and what I'm trying to say is that they have to start from themselves for people like me to really take them serious.
I knew it.
You are Yinka Gbadebo, NANS president..

angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top Seven Nigerian Universities With "Eco - Friendly" Campuses - Kinesthouse / Airforce Men Invade UNIOSUN Ipetu Ijesha Campus, Injure Students / Desen Mbachaga: FUOYE Suspends Lecturer Over Sexual Harassment - Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.