Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,131 members, 7,845,750 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? (12696 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / Man Buries His One-Day-Old Baby, Shares Pics Of Her Burial On Facebook / Excessive Exposure Of Children To Uncontrolled Affluence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
kolawaxxy: I love the way muslims bury their dead; bury the corpse, say some few prayers then go home.

You respect them alright?
Including the fact that they sumtyms do not wait for the person to be confirmed dead before they bury the person..
Someones dad who gave him everything he ever wanted in life dies and an hour later he is stripped naked and dumped in a shallow grave... Does that make sense to you..
I left my friend sick in zaria to buy sumtin in kaduna.. He died before I got back, I was not only angry he was dead, I was also pissed he had been buried... So fast.. Like they were waiting for him to die.. I pray your children don't treat you like dat becos ur spirit go so vex, dat is if spirits exist..
My Dog died last week, I buried it with more decorum.. I started wondering which was more important, my dead friend or the dead dog.. God rest his soul...
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by nagoma(m): 2:24pm On Nov 05, 2013
ikekings1: I enjoy burials!!! Free food, free drinks.. What else can I ask for? A time for jollification!!! grin grin grin..
Watch them attack me!!! undecided undecided undecided

Ed
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 05, 2013
a reverend father refused to officiate a mass for burial just because the dead man was not a registered member in his parish, i was like 'give me the mic lemme say a prayer' the reverend can go to hell with his mass,
christianity sucks in terms of burial, , like seriously.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by eluquenson(m): 2:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
Owambe things grin
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ayd91(m): 2:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
Phder:
Yes. And probably get the ashes disposed in a running water. smiley
seriously, I once thought of cremation but man, it takes courage.
Imagine if somehow the human spirit still shared connection with the body? Me and fire don't mix. sad.
Its a philosophically beautiful act. I guess the old fashion way still works for me. cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by paix(m): 3:10pm On Nov 05, 2013
Let the dead bury the dead, and who is to be fed be fed.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 05, 2013
i
beg to disagree wit u in d case of DEBT.d bible is against debt.many
pple who hav died nd gone to hell re actually there because of the debt
they didn't pay nd not just because they aren't holy
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 05, 2013
ayd91:
seriously, I once thought of cremation but man, it takes courage.
Imagine if somehow the human spirit still shared connection with the body? Me and fire don't mix. sad.
Its a philosophically beautiful act. I guess the old fashion way still works for me. cheesy.

Laughs @ "What if the spirit still share connection with the body" there is nothing like that. Once the spirit leaves, it's gone, for good! The body is as good as a goat that died on the street corner.

I have been able to dissect cadavers and I can tell you; we're nothing but piece of meat without the spirit.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ladygogo: 4:21pm On Nov 05, 2013
i dont understand the idea behind this myself,and i'm a Yoruba girl. Cant we just have some puffs, buns, tea/coffee etc at the wakekeeping and call it a day?. No o . You have to rent a hall/ tent, aso ebi(very nauseating), get a band, spray money etc. You just gats to party. undecided
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by mamagee3(f): 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
The only people that do that are people with the mentality of people in the 1800s. .

They are either illiterates or poor people who want to prove they are worth something when they really aren't worth sh*t

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by deols(f): 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2013
I never ate at a burial and never will.

Thank God I am a Muslim smiley
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Waspy(m): 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
How else do we show our neighbours and others how much we have embezzled and stolen. undecided
it is part of the crowd mentality, the rat race in Nigeria. "I beta pass my neighbour" "My money and ur money nor be mate". I think a black man's brain is designed to value trivial and petty things. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ZacckyOchai: 6:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
Africans were not like that before. The influence of christianity on african culture should be seriously explore otherwise with our attitude here, one may not be able bury one's relatives for shame of not living up to the expectations. I bow for the writer!
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Popowaa: 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
nickz: Using a dead mans casket for acrobatics was the one that pissed me off.........if I die and my children do that to me I swear na thunder I go use strike dem
Lmfao
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ayd91(m): 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
Phder:

Laughs @ "What if the spirit still share connection with the body" there is nothing like that. Once the spirit leaves, it's gone, for good! The body is as good as a goat that died on the street corner.

I have been able to dissect cadavers and I can tell you; we're nothing but piece of meat without the spirit.

cheesy. Guess I've been watching too much sci-fi.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2013
ayd91:

cheesy. Guess I've been watching too much sci-fi.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by wealth2al(m): 9:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
Burial influence for dead folks, lols
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by princeilcity(m): 9:45pm On Nov 05, 2013
Seriously,muslim way is the best

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by SugaryBelle(f): 10:42pm On Nov 05, 2013
Zaccky Ochai: Africans were not like that before. The influence of christianity on african culture should be seriously explore otherwise with our attitude here, one may not be able bury one's relatives for shame of not living up to the expectations. I bow for the writer!
It is not a Christian tenet,Africans have always buried their dead in affluance before the white men came,kings and wealthy people where buried with heads of slaves as much as the family of the deceased have,so please don't blame it on Christianity just because they tolerate it,no one is under any obligation by the church to bury their dead in a show of affluence,people just choose to do so,i know of Christians who have buried their dead without much ado.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by mmsen: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2013
Sadly this is one of the things that I find most unpleasant about (southern) Nigeria - the constant attention seeking, lack of modesty or decorum. Everything must be outlandish, brash and classless.

Church services must be disturbingly loud. The neighbors must know about all your programs (and by 'neighbors' I mean those within a 1km radius)

Weddings must drag on for hours with all kinds of unnecessary additions so as to bore guests to death. Why anyone needs more than one minister to handle such services is beyond me.

Even the opening of a borehole has to be opened with a ridiculous amount of fanfare.

In a country where there is so little regard for the welfare and development of children it amazes me how often I see parents/adults behaving like babies.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by JewelBukky(f): 3:14am On Nov 06, 2013
Honestly dts jst it nd dts y often atimes i like d ways muslims go abt dia burrial. Imagine d case of Agagu, c wat eventually apened in d course to show case affluent n throw an elaborate burrial. Ws jst like... Had it been d muslim way such occurence would v been avoided. Bt fellow xtians won't hear of dat o!
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by litetias(m): 6:45am On Nov 06, 2013
The crazy thing is we owe hundreds of thousands in debts just to bury somebody who's already dead. Where's the sense in that. Nigeria needs a revolution in mentality more than anything.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by cosify: 6:56am On Nov 06, 2013
adtiezy1: lets see whuz sharp
The second deer is gigantic.It's almost as huge and tall as the trees.It's even capable of crushing the first deer.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by donpeluchi(m): 7:26am On Nov 06, 2013
it is plain stupidity

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by ddeola: 8:48am On Nov 06, 2013
At times, what we call a show of affluence is nothing but a show of shame because some of the people they are giving glamorous burials won't have died if they had received some attention from all the people spending millions to bury them. It's just an irony at times

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 06, 2013
life_style:

They also celebrate after a month or so.....
What do you mean by that? Muslims celebrate what? Burial? What you see there is the 40th day prayers! Oh! By Muslim, I don't mean those from the West (their culture still permeates the religion)

@topic, a colleague buried his dad recently, these guys are above the middle class, plus they were raised away from home. Being catholics, they collected letters from their church and took home to facilitate the burial.
The village church pegged a "fee" in six figures before they'd allow the body brought in for burial (why? Because he was a distant member)
What baffled me was the fact that the very land the church stood was donated by this man's father in the 1950's! Its sad when so called "christian" burials have become a jamboree or carnival! Especially for the low income Nigerians, you hardly see anyone care for the bereaved immediate family, all you see is "tax" here and there! Its a shame.

I for one has left concrete instructions on how I should be interred when I must have fulfilled my days on earth! Knowledge is power!!
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2013
grin
blink182: This one na church financial secretary. Na poverty you go die put.
grin
blink182: This one na church financial secretary. Na poverty you go die put.
lol
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by josite: 12:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
biafra kwenu: Let's celebrate the lives of our loved ones while they are still living and quit using burial ceremonies to show affluence. If you cannot celebrate when there is life, why bother when there is death? The dead should be mourned and not celebrated as it amounts to mockery because they cannot celebrate with you. Eating and drinking during burial ceremonies is definitely unchristian, but because of our wickedness we chose to continue with this heathen practice! The bereaved is crying not because of the loss but for what we so called "Christians" will eat and drink on the burial day. The church now sees an opportunity to recover all monies being owed by the dead and family members otherwise no church burial. When the church cannot forgive even the dead, then it is not a christian church because forgiveness leads to Christ. If the church be the judge, no poor man will go to Heaven. The dependents of the dead - God save them.

why should the dead be buried in a church and by a church he didn't care to sustain while he was alive. And we yorubas celebrate because the essence of having a child is for him or her to bury you and when you are there to bury your parents and not vice versa it surely calls for celebrations. But I quite agree that many kids who didn't care for the wellbeing of the dead will come and show off as if they are successful which in fact they are not.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
DEGREE2466: There is nothing like overdoing of anything here.

I can see the Ops is reasoning from pover*y. If you get small change now you will see reason to celebrate even the death of your goat.

If someone faints because of hunger in a burial ceremony what will happen then?

Will we follow the dead person to the grave

Please lets celebrate our dead ones because we are not their killer

Even the bible admonish us not to mourn like unbelievers so why do you want the living to suffer because someone dies?
U are so so soooooo shalow whith a capital S! The dead stays dead and no amount of burial celebrations will change that. Instead y not pray and bury the dead, yes u can celebrate becos d person passed on to probably heaven but must u celebrate it lavishly knowing fully well that wen d so callled dead person was alive did not get one quarter d amount to survive and also knowing fully well that there are other living beings that haven't eaten 4 days! Come on now let's use our common sence of reason and do what matters.

And F.Y.I
The socalled bible u quoted abt celebrating the dead also said let the dead bury the dead.
Saa ya.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by kadman(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
I don't really understand the "Muslim thing is the best".

Yes they bury the dead quickly but a month or two later when enough money has been raised they through big crazy "owanbe" parties just as big as Igbo / Christian Yorubas.

Or am I missing something? I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

@ Topic, it's a senseless practice and something which is stupid. My family have done the same for my grandparents but even we knew it was silly and we just conforming to social norms. Alas, I do not see an end to this practice.
Re: Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence? by mmsen: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2013
Waspy: How else do we show our neighbours and others how much we have embezzled and stolen. undecided
it is part of the crowd mentality, the rat race in Nigeria. "I beta pass my neighbour" "My money and ur money nor be mate". I think a black man's brain is designed to value trivial and petty things. undecided

Are you 'black man'?

Is that how you think?

Because I know many a 'black man' who do not operate that way.

Your frustration is understandable but your self-hatred is cowardly.

People have already pointed out that muslims do no conduct themselves in such a many. Funerals as organised by our muslim brothers are usually quiet, respectful and brief.

I only wish that those who are not muslims would also learn about the value of modesty.

If no one knows how much you have then it makes you less of a target.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

She Bought Land Without The Knowledge Of The Hubby. / In One Word Describe The Relationship With Your Dad / Post Marital Weight Gain & Effects.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.