Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge (16684 Views)

Lagos Warns Residents On New Tactics Of Robbers / We Use Italian Method To Bypass Hi-tech Security – Bank Robbery Suspects[PIC] / Armed Robbers On Rampage In Ikirun, Osun. Kill 2, Injure 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by hollandis(f): 2:19pm On Nov 05, 2013
where you sef dey travel dey go up and down?
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by callmemercy(f): 2:20pm On Nov 05, 2013
This is news, didn't come across them when I traveled to and fro.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by tomsongz(m): 2:22pm On Nov 05, 2013
Very wrong thread
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by HAH: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
Honestly that is one reason I don't like driving south ward from Abuja, I will drive all over the north no one will harass you even the policemen are polite and the egunje no dey pass 50 naira .

But down south everyone want to estort money from, you, custom, police, army, agbero, opc and they normally demand in thousands.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by ceeethru(m): 2:25pm On Nov 05, 2013
the rate of crime in benin now is worrisome! Only God can come to their rescue. As for the governor, there's governor in benin now.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by STOIC123: 2:31pm On Nov 05, 2013
The issue is you are driving a private car on a federal road,some thugs blocks the road with long wood laden with nails!They demand for radio and TV permit,emblem and so on.You innocently pay them 20000k only for you to get to the other side of the bridge another set of thugs held you claiming that you need to pay another 30000 for you to obtain the complete paper!
I appreciate your comments but trust me this thing is better imagined than experienced.They are thieves! They rob innocent Nigerians on that road in the name of LG activities .The state government should say/do something about this menace.Imagine the trauma!
Assuming you travelling with your family and this happens do you know what the kids will go through?Those guys are mean,Violent !
Edo state government should pls do something urgently.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by gal10(f): 2:32pm On Nov 05, 2013
So those guys never change? Sometime in 2010 we encountered them while traveling for d festivities and it was a sad experience! Delayed us for over 40 minutes on what they call 'emission permit'! Yes o gaseous emission was what they called it and my dad had to part with #15k that day! They said they were from the LG and even gave us receipts! One even gave me his number in case anybody disturbs us again on the road! I remember saving his name as 'gaseous emission'! smiley he even called when we got home to know if we arrived safely and without further disturbances! Funny remembering d whole thing now!
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by alajor(m): 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2013
God I thank u o, everyday I keep hearing disturbing news about this lagos to asaba road. Just makes realise how much u love me. Guys I came back to naija in june and I drove tru dat road from lagos to awka. I passed tru dat benin bypass between 9 and 10pm. I got to awka without any problem past 12am. Everyday I realise just how much risk I took that night and it makes me realise how much God protected me dat night. Glory b to God oooooo!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
I passed there by 8 yesterday but the thing is there are some places u have to follow one way but if u are unlucky.... U will run into them, my driver have to chew his kolanut with peper yesterday before crossing that area grin grin, it was night though.... Around 8_0

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by lirusehn(m): 2:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
Sowie. Na miss i miss road enta here

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Dannyvoltron(m): 2:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
Op don't worry.. Juz continue to use that road as a law abiding citizen. May i assure u that We are on top of the situation. Very soon those robbers will be no more
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Koikoi(m): 2:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
Looks like the state govt would rather leave them at these check point than having them scattered all over the place and kidnapping lnnocent travellers. I believe what theyare doing now Iis a lesse evil. My advice? Avoid that route if you are not a uniform person. You'd be doing yourself a load of good.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
Hahahahahaha, i trust those jobless guys wey women dey feed dem men for lagos, i trust those jobless guys wey dem women see ITALY as second home. They don robbed my people tire for dat road.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Gwekzy: 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2013
Guy ur story no clear
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Sagamite(m): 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2013
STOIC123: The issue is you are driving a private car on a federal road,some thugs blocks the road with long wood laden with nails!They demand for radio and TV permit,emblem and so on.You innocently pay them 20000k only for you to get to the other side of the bridge another set of thugs held you claiming that you need to pay another 30000 for you to obtain the complete paper!
I appreciate your comments but trust me this thing is better imagined than experienced.They are thieves! They rob innocent Nigerians on that road in the name of LG activities .The state government should say/do something about this menace.Imagine the trauma!
Assuming you travelling with your family and this happens do you know what the kids will go through?Those guys are mean,Violent !
Edo state government should pls do something urgently.

gal10: So those guys never change? Sometime in 2010 we encountered them while traveling for d festivities and it was a sad experience! Delayed us for over 40 minutes on what they call 'emission permit'! Yes o gaseous emission was what they called it and my dad had to part with #15k that day! They said they were from the LG and even gave us receipts! One even gave me his number in case anybody disturbs us again on the road! I remember saving his name as 'gaseous emission'! smiley he even called when we got home to know if we arrived safely and without further disturbances! Funny remembering d whole thing now!

Lunatic country!

Nigeria: A shithole run by a person called Jonathan.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by kawkab: 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2013
Several complaints on this matter have been made to the state government yet nothing has been done. using the benin bypass now is giving drivers of private vehicles sleepless night because they are the main target of this obnoxious acts. Especially when they notice that your number plate is not bearing Edo.

Driving through benin town is not even better because the group of people called "Oshiomole Police" (the use red/red uniform) may block your vehicle for very flimsy reasons; they are the only one that can correctly interpret the traffic law in the city of benin and they go about it in a thuggish manner.

It is very sad that the state government is doing nothing about this.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Wittywizard(m): 3:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
aguiyi: op be careful o, it is this kind of false alarm that killed people in Anambra. if your driver had the required stickers they would not have asked for any such money.

it happens even in ph here , whether you carry mopol or not if you no get sticker, community boys no go gree u o because na their empowerment be that.

its 40K per bus or hilux every year and we have been buying it because the local govt law provides for that just that the way they go about it is rude and harsh

if they catch you without the sticker you will pay more because of bail fee plus the sticker and basket of 15k.

even when you have, they could snick one out of it and send another group after you.

that one no be robbery na ,abi u see gun. why not titled the thread excessive akawo on Benin by-pass
i can see you are part of them & u now relocate to porthacourt to open anoda branch office...
Thief.. Thief...
Ee ba mi kii gbe ole ole ole
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by DECOtech(m): 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
tomsongz: Very wrong thread
You must be Their ICT personnel.

As for me, I must run one of them down if I ever see them on that road again.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
chibabe3: Those guys are not just robbers but kidnappers and should be sentenced to death by firing squad. They collected the last N25,000 on me as I was coming back from Lagos last two months. By the time I got to Asaba, there was no money to refuel and had to be rescued by a friend. Yet they claim that they are from the local council and using the opportunity to rip people off. The guys may also be carrying guns at night and should be investigated thoroughly. Osho Baba should please intervene and save the state from the embarrassment by this thugs.

are you serious ?!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Babsunclejoe(m): 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
To me they are robbers in the name of of collecting dues for government. They will demand for all kind of of receipt, ranging from car radio, car smoke and all forms of of stupid charges.
I have ran into them on few occasions and I was ready to kill somebody that day, that was how I managed to escape them that day but my brother coming in another car was not so lucky.
They did not only collect 40k from him, they also stole so items from him.
We hope Edo state government will will help us to deal with this monster.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by camry2008: 4:27pm On Nov 05, 2013
Dear all, this information is very important to who ever that is traveling with private car, if u are travling with privae car two things are involved, is either u stop for them andblock the road with ur car so that others cannot pass and come for ur rescure or u face ur car directly to them and hit them, not just to threating thm but mean ur business to knock them down.

prior to my travel last month, a friend of mine told me about them and adviced me not to stop, on getting to the bypass, they tried to stop me with 4x4 filled with nils, I faced the car directly to their direction and increasd the acceleration, not just to hit them but was determined to KILL, the guy abandoned the 4x4 and ran into the bush.

pls, pass the information of their activities to any body u knw, for safety

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by FKseun(m): 4:30pm On Nov 05, 2013
Info:
1. they are on the road on working days and disappear between 2 & 3pm (normally when the local government councils have closed)
2. the documents they are asking for (radio licence, sanitation receipt, etc) are legit BUT they are not empowered to be on federal roads. they are to check for compliance within their local government areas.
3. they only capitalise on the ignorance and the urgency with which transiting travellers want to get to their destinations
4. the situation was worse under previous administration

MY ADVICE: On sighting the boys with their spiked woods, SWITCH ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS, HAZARD LIGHTS AND INCREASE YOUR SPEED! DO NOT TRY TO DODGE THEIR SPIKED WOODS! FACE THE GUY WITH THE WOOD, HE WILL DROP IT AND RUN FOR HIS DEAR LIFE! I have done this a couple of times after a friend advised me. They are always stationed at the spiral road that connects motorists to the benin by-pass. NEVER ALLOW THEM BRING YOU TO A HALT!

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by LadyH(f): 5:01pm On Nov 05, 2013
vicoloni: Eminado Eminado!
now u got the tune ringin nonstop in my head.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by kambili999(f): 5:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
illitrate: first to comment angry angry angry
ur name says it all. undecided
illitrate: first to comment angry angry angry
ur name says it all.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by maxjax(m): 5:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
Pinkie dearie: front page tinzzz!!cheesy..I'm actually new here sha..finally I'm on nairaland..!..good afternoon everyone!!

smiley u go celebrate am o0o.....nway welcome to NL cheesy

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by ajagbz: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
These " good for nothing guys" are most times stationed at bad spots. They take advantage of you slowin down at these bad spots.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2013
I had first hand experience on the activities of these Armed Robbers. What helped me to overcome them was the prior information I got from nairaland from a victim sometime last year. As I got to the by pass I increased the speed even before I sighted them, they were taken unawares. The main issue is who will save us from these robbers? Who should we report to? POLICE, FRSC, FERMA, NASS or The PRESIDENT.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by ifedun2: 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2013
Am beginning to believe governor Oshiomole is overated.Sometimes in September,I was going to Calabar on an assignment,and as we were entering Benin,a co traveller warned that we had to be vigilant because in Benin,the robbers operated in broad daylight.
Her fears were confirmed because as we aproached this same byepass, vehicles were making detours with lightening speed while others lined the road,afraid of moving further.Now I can't help but wonder-could it have been this lg guys sending fears down the spines of travellers that day,or was there really a robbery operation?Whatever it was,the people had taken it as a normal thing which shouldn't be.This comrade turned politician must make Benin safe for all.
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by Osama10(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
Just increase your speed and face them, the speed they would fly into the bush no be here oh. grin grin grin
Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by hardbody: 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2013
@OP, Its a pity you are just experiencing this. I have fallen forthem twice. The firs time i did not know, but considering my company car had quite a number of those Local Government papers, i was able to argue my way through especially when another corpoarte owned car was stopped and the guy had nothing to show.

the second time, i tried to out manouvre them but they stopped a big truck in front of me and used that truck to stop me, i parted with N1k.

Since then i have vowed (1) never to closely follow a moving truck on any stretch on the Edo roads (2) my speed on that side of the road is stupendously suicidal while i make every effort to knock down anyone flying either a red flag or carring spiked objects with the intention of scaring me to stop. (3) I go out of my way to search them out when they are standing by the side of the road and make calculated attempts to run them over.

I hope and pray that the day will come when i will crush at least 3 or 4 of them. Then i will be happy. When that happens, i will park whichever car i used in the village and never to bring it back to Lagos through any road network at all.

THis i promise them.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Robbers On Benin Bypass Bridge by macgill007(m): 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
chibabe3: Those guys are not just robbers but kidnappers and should be sentenced to death by firing squad. They collected the last N25,000 on me as I was coming back from Lagos last two months. By the time I got to Asaba, there was no money to refuel and had to be rescued by a friend. Yet they claim that they are from the local council and using the opportunity to rip people off. The guys may also be carrying guns at night and should be investigated thoroughly. Osho Baba should please intervene and save the state from the embarrassment by this thugs.
I nearly ran over one in june but he was lucky to have jumped. In honesty I wanted to kill him and I will one day

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guys I Just Watched The Video Of UGM Beheading Military Couple. / Missing General: Police Declare 8 Masterminds Wanted Including Dura Village Head / Driver Kills 20-yr-old Woman Over Nurtw’s N50 Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.