Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (641555 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by mkoabiola: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
Names too much to read finish.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mintayo(m): 10:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
BARRISTER DAN: I even dey check my temperature to see why i had time to peruse through this. And Mr Compiler, your name is not there, why? Maybe it means something funny?
lol,my name is actually there;Mintayo is a combination of two names.cheesy
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afolayinka: I love yoruba names.
Trust me
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 10:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
amusan yetunde :
There's no way d op can include all names especially surnames ( traditional names). He is just trying to tell us Yoruba names have sensible meanings and cultural back ground..
Thanks for mentioning my surname anyway.

i doubt thats the reason for the compilation.

on amusan, i actually meant to type amosun, i was just mentioning the names of yoruba leaders offhand.

amusan was a typo, sorry.

but its still a yoruba name, obviously.

the op did skip many basic yoruba names, not sure why she needs a list anyway.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by macof(m): 10:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
KDULAR: A very good compilation , I must really commend you the OP for a well done job. I 'll also like to raise observation concerning the prefix "Ade-" to other names which was translated to only mean crown. The truth is Ade does not only connotes crown in names as most bearers aren't nort directly sons or daughters of princes or princesses, who generally in the old times uses that prefix,but in most cases it means 'the coming or arrival of" in Yoruba names. Thus something like Adegbuyi could mean the arrival or coming of this is famous or The crown is famous. Adekunle may either mean the house is full of crown or the arrival of this one completes or fills the house. Same as goes for the prefix Ogun- which may either be The god of iron or war or twenty ( twenties) or inheritance to mention a few but the four are only relevant for names.
Keep the culture going guys.

Mr I think u are trying to confuse urself

Ade is known as crown in Yoruba language, "Aare" is the highest of crowns which only descendants of Oduduwa can wear. So when this two words appear in a name it means crown not "coming"

"Ogun" in names also refer to Orisha Ogun, what name with "ogun" do u knw that doesn't refer to Orisha Ogun?

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 10:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
Mintayo:
thank you for the above,i was about saying the same thing especially to everyone that did not see their names,i am sure they will understand the above.cheesywink
it is like some ppl are just looking for names but they are neglecting the bolded above,thanks again.

did you use the assistance of facebook in compiling your list?

i have my reasons for asking.

who exactly made this list?

it shows a lot of detail even if selective, i doubt its just random like that.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by afreekah: 10:51pm On Nov 09, 2013
OP , why nah ? IBIKUNLE IS THERE, WHAT OF AMOSUN ? ABEG HELP ME FIND AM. . .
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by AdetayoS(m): 11:01pm On Nov 09, 2013
Abeg wetin be meaning of ADETAYO?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Bomi(m): 11:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
The compiler tried, but he should have do some research on the meaning of those Yoruba names. As some of those name does not mean the same as the literary interpretations.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by willibounce: 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
Secret_Dreams: Proud Yoruba boy ! I'm sure igbo people will bring out a similar thread soon.

Sorry bro. Ibo ppL are not proud of their culture. MAny of dem are ashamed to use their native names. Most of their girLs change names to cindy, mabeL, shanteL, flower, d annoying one na miLLicent. ALL na ashawo name o. Their guy no knw pass charLes.

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by God2man(m): 11:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
Great thread, i prefer to give my children meaningful and Godly Yoruba names to any other names.

Your name control whatever you are doing in life.

I am using medium to appeal to people bearing names connected to idol to change their names.
Pls, change your name if you do not like the meaning, it is the best you can do for yourself, the next generation will thank you for this great step.

I think "OLADITI" - re mi do mi- should mean Ola=wealth
d' = become
iti= a tree or an establishment.

OLADITI= Wealth has become a tree.

Op, you have done a wonderful job.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by mimicue(f): 11:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
This op has time oh
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 11:33pm On Nov 09, 2013
[quote author=macof]

Mr I think u are trying to confuse urself

Ade is known as crown in Yoruba language, "Aare" is the highest of crowns which only descendants of Oduduwa can wear. So when this two words appear in a name it means crown not "coming"

"Ogun" in names also refer to Orisha Ogun, what name with "ogun" do u knw that doesn't refer to Orisha Ogun?

I'll rather you appreciate learning a new thing and thinking it through and in this context would have been better if you learn and appreciate something you've never heard before, uncommonly known and brought to the fore, make a research rather than dismissing illogically and be insulting , a trait uncommon with non Yorubas. It profits me and nobody nothing bringing something false up especially when it comes to my culture, I used to think like you do concerning the Ade- and Ogun- until I listened to an interview on NTA with either Chief Yemi Elebuibon or someone else whom I cannot really remember now, this was like 12 years back and I confirmed from it from someone in his 90s then who happened to be from a royal family. Yoruba language culture proverbs and indeed names are highly logical in meaning and interpretations and be informed that Yorubas do name logically meaningfully bearing in mind not one but multiple considerations, so my friend learn and be more omoluabiish. One becomes frozen when the heart is not open.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 11:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
And to answer your question concerning the prefix Ogun, have you heard Ogungbende ( war brought me) Ogungbemi (War helped me, the god of thunder helped me and my inheritance helped me ) spelt the same but different tones. Or the Remi which may be pronounced raimy ( meaning I'm desirous of )or the common known meaning Remi ( comforts or eases me ).
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by macof(m): 12:18am On Nov 10, 2013
KDULAR: And to answer your question concerning the prefix Ogun, have you heard Ogungbende ( war brought me) Ogungbemi (War helped me, the god of thunder helped me and my inheritance helped me ) spelt the same but different tones. Or the Remi which may be pronounced raimy ( meaning I'm desirous of )or the common known meaning Remi ( comforts or eases me ).

Dude "ogun" in names doesn't mean war, it refers to Ogun god of war, Iron and justice.
Stop interpreting "ogun" in names like ogungbemi to mean war. Ogungbemi lit.- ogun carries me, which could be interpreted as "Ogun helps me"

Stop trying to distort Yoruba language.

4 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Chingyarmani(m): 12:35am On Nov 10, 2013
cant find 'ALAMPASU' U17 Goalie on dhis list
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 12:37am On Nov 10, 2013
Haba yaro! how are sure that is not my compound ( family) name ? Now make your research to Ijaye specifically oja ale close to kemta Oke ejigbo area of Ijaye in Abeokuta and find the truth. If that does not convince you then I have nothing to tell you, besides meanings in Yoruba names could be both or either contextual and incidental. Learn friend, if you are hearing something new from what you've always believ don't just dismiss. Same people thought and called alausa as re mi mi mi ( meaning the bearer of Hausa) rather than re mi do mi ( meaning the one seller or owner or the place that has ausa , walnut) Just be grateful someone is showing you something you never knew.
I think you don't understand the import of your choice of word ( distort ) fa ? Just be more civil , I wouldn't mind making contacts clarifications and directing you to elders who could enlighten you. Contact the above mentioned on facebook. Mind you I am not a young man though.

I ve just realize you like putting up your gloves against those that don't share your views, thoughts, opinions or things that you never thought exists thus I leave you to continue your line of thought and disbelieve.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ESULAALU: 1:00am On Nov 10, 2013
Nice one OP, kudos to you.
Seems like you omitted my name "Esulaalu"

Perhaps you will add it in your second compilation.

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 1:12am On Nov 10, 2013
KDULAR: I wouldn't mind making contacts clarifications and directing you to elders who could enlighten you. Contact the above mentioned on facebook. Mind you I am not a young man though.

just needed to ask when facebook became yoruba elders.

carry on, i'm not a part of your ongoing discussion.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 1:25am On Nov 10, 2013
Good observation, funny what I meant was there some Yoruba elders on FB who could clarify such discussions. Ok ma Yemi Elebu ibon is on fb, Prof Wande Abimbola is another, Lere Paimo amongst others are the elders I meant and referring to.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by macof(m): 1:25am On Nov 10, 2013
KDULAR: Haba yaro! how are sure that is not my compound ( family) name ? Now make your research to Ijaye specifically oja ale close to kemta Oke ejigbo area of Ijaye in Abeokuta and find the truth. If that does not convince you then I have nothing to tell you, besides meanings in Yoruba names could be both or either contextual and incidental. Learn friend, if you are hearing something new from what you've always believ don't just dismiss. Same people thought and called alausa as re mi mi mi ( meaning the bearer of Hausa) rather than re mi do mi ( meaning the one seller or owner or the place that has ausa , walnut) Just be grateful someone is showing you something you never knew.
I think you don't understand the import of your choice of word ( distort ) fa ? Just be more civil , I wouldn't mind making contacts clarifications and directing you to elders who could enlighten you. Contact the above mentioned on facebook. Mind you I am not a young man though.

I ve just realize you like putting up your gloves against those that don't share your views, thoughts, opinions or things that you never thought exists thus I leave you to continue your line of thought and disbelieve.

Grateful for trying to spread confusion

who are those that called "alausa" bearer of Hausa? They must be really bad wit Yoruba.

And this is not about you not sharing my views, I know wat I know, I don't any confused human to confuse me.

Just stop distorting Yoruba names and their meanings
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 1:30am On Nov 10, 2013
macof:

Grateful for trying to spread confusion

who are those that called "alausa" bearer of Hausa? They must be really bad wit Yoruba.

And this is not about you not sharing my views, I know wat I know, I don't any confused human to confuse me.

Just stop distorting Yoruba names and their meanings

Typical

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Tbken: 2:07am On Nov 10, 2013
Olanike -he go by force or he die byforce
olaniyi - he don spoil or he wasted
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Tbken: 2:12am On Nov 10, 2013
ESULAALU: Nice one OP, kudos to you.
Seems like you omitted my name "Esulaalu"

Perhaps you will add it in your second compilation.
Esulaalu -millipide f.uck...
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ona2: 2:21am On Nov 10, 2013
ona2: was hoping i would get the meaning of my name: ONAJOKE, ONAFADEKEMI. I can understand fadekemi and maybe joke but the ona is what?
can any body help out
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by weebay(m): 4:34am On Nov 10, 2013
I don't know if someone else spotted it but @OP u made a mistake wit "Taiye/ Taiwo" ...I tot Taiye wus the 1st of the set of twins.. Not the younger.

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Queendo(f): 7:22am On Nov 10, 2013
Good work, omo kaaro-a-jirebi. Adediwura meaning 'the crown has become gold'. O ku ni ibon ro. O ti bere ise nla, Oba Edumare a kun o lowo lati te siwaju. Mo ki o, O ku'se.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 7:25am On Nov 10, 2013
Queendo: Good work, omo kaaro-a-jirebi. Adediwura meaning 'the crown has become gold'. O ku ni ibon ro. O ti bere ise nla, Oba Edumare a kun o lowo lati te siwaju. Mo ki o, O ku'se.
ABRACADABRA
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PRODUTIM1(m): 7:42am On Nov 10, 2013
Nice 1
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Bowaley17(m): 8:05am On Nov 10, 2013
I rep my name....Adedotun Adebowale....add Adedunmola
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Kassidy90(m): 8:51am On Nov 10, 2013
Abayomi hmmmm, anyway nice wrk op
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by gracy83: 8:54am On Nov 10, 2013
Okunola------- rope of wealth

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.