Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,608 members, 7,955,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:26 PM

The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. (5174 Views)

Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Matters Arising From The Possibility Of Permitting Marriage For Catholic Priests / The Possibility Of The Presence Of Witchcraft In The Church: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by Kay17: 3:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
okeyxyz:

This question has already been hacked before it was concluded. Who the heck are the two jokers who liked this post?? I'm guessing @plaeteon was one. grin grin grin

We may not be able to pinpoint the intrinsic consciousness of another entity but it's consciousness is very evident in that every living thing responds to stimuli, whether hostile or friendly(read my response to @plaetton's question on virus). Now we know the difference between a dead body from a living one in that the living one responds to stimuli. The dead body cannot respond because it's consciousness has been separated from it.

So we may not know what another entity might be thinking but we can be sure it is alive and thus conscious. GBAM!!!

A response to stimuli isn't necessarily consciousness, because consciousness goes further to the point of self awareness! So you are seriously mistaken to believe a mere response to stimuli is an attribute of consciousness.

It is even ridiculous to believe the enivornment is what stimulates consciousness in the same way stimuli do. It is still an intrinsic fact.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by okeyxyz(m): 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
^^^^

So tell us, what other types of entities respond to stimuli if not living/conscious ones?? There has to first be an awareness of self which would then determine if the stimulus is friendly or hostile. You disagree??
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by Kay17: 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
okeyxyz: ^^^^

So tell us, what other types of entities respond to stimuli if not living/conscious ones?? There has to first be an awareness of self which would then determine if the stimulus is friendly or hostile. You disagree??

I totally disagree with you. Again response to stimuli can be mechanical and not in terms of friendly or hostile rather what environment is agreeable or disagreeable.

On the issue of pain and consciousness, physical pain operates on reflexes, preconceived mechanical reactions. For example I dip my hand into a bucket of hot water of about 100 oC, there isn't any contemplation required to withdraw. If one's cognitive functions shut down, pain would still trigger such reaction.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by okeyxyz(m): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
^^^^
What the heck are you on about?? Okay I challenge you to name one stimilus reaction that is not geared towards the interest and preservation of a conscious/living entity. Whether reflex or post-contemplative reaction the bottom line is that it serves the preservative interest of a consciousness entity. Response to stimulus is about the only objective evidence of life/consciousness, or at least a residue life/consciousness.

Even the words you use to make your arguments(ie: ...preconceived mechanical reactions...) suggest that reflex action are derived from conscious, contemplated purposes.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by Kay17: 9:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Self preservation can easily be an unconscious drive seated safely within an individual out of reach from himself.

I put it to you that man develops his most dangerous ideas that harm his chances of self preservation by rationalization and contemplation
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by MrTroll(m): 9:56pm On Nov 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

What? The truth doesnt become me?

Commot dia joor
no. the unnecessary pot shots.

the truth?
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by DeepSight(m): 9:22am On Nov 12, 2013
Mr Troll: no. the unnecessary pot shots.

the truth?

Lol, that is not always to be taken seriously. Jibes, really.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by MrTroll(m): 10:06am On Nov 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Lol, that is not always to be taken seriously. Jibes, really.
ok o. if you say so wink grin
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by uzoexcel(m): 8:25pm On Aug 30, 2014
theere may nt be now but the possiblity for this technology to evolve should nt be understated...the 'i-robot' scenario comes to mind...granted its jst a movie!!!!
okeyxyz:

Proof?? Really?? I laugh in dothraki grin grin grin

There's no such thing as artificial consciousness. You rush too quickly and naively to declare the above. The only proof here is your lack of understanding of the world of computing and programming. What the robot in the OP does is simply captures data, identifies/determines patterns in the data and organizes such data to simulate learning(it's actually a trick in it's algorithm, rather than actual learning). Like I said before, there's no such thing as artificial or computer borne consciousness. Consciousness entails self-awareness, self-identity, self-determination(eg: ambition) and self-preservation. How can a computer be any of these. Does this program ever ask itself why it is doing what it is doing? It can't because it is not self-conscious. A conscious entity would be aware that it acts in certain ways either out of pleasure, or the will to survive or dominate in it's environment, etc, in other words self-interest. So what is the self-interest of this program? None!! It's just a robot, just processing what it's programmed to process in order to simulate learning.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by uzoexcel(m): 8:25pm On Aug 30, 2014
yup
Reyginus: I admire artificial intelligence but not without control. The implication in the future would be disastrous.
I think one can make a better sense if he understands the robot perfectly. If one can get the complete specifications and working mechanism of the robot, I think, that's when we can know the right thing to say.
The information above is not sufficient to build an argument.
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by hopefulLandlord: 7:58pm On Mar 07, 2017
hmmm
Re: The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. by adewuyi2012: 4:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
Are you a christian youth brother or sister..
do you want to join "the family" where we relate with each other, have fun, share knowledge, help one another to secure jobs, share the word of God, and keep ourselves with the latest on the world around us.
for each day, below are the subjects we will be discussing:
Monday -sport
Tuesday: music
Wednesday :love and relationship
Thursday: movies
Friday: politics
Saturday: general issues-internet, education,comedy, jobs e.t.c.
Sunday: Bible study

For each day, an Admin will post a matter relating to his or her area as indicated above, then others will start commenting and sharing knowledge on the matter.
please if u would like to join us, kindly click the link below to join or chat me up 07087844062.
https:///C4Lk1oJbcoH9gm546PkkyL

Please use google chrome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? / Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? / Another Bone Grows In Boys Leg After Tb Joshua Prayer PICS VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.