Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Nothing To Smile About: Asia's Deadly Addiction To Betel Quids - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nothing To Smile About: Asia's Deadly Addiction To Betel Quids (992 Views)

Small Animals And Insects That Cause Big And Deadly Diseases / The Day OHAI AFRICA Made Maryam To Smile! (photos) / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nothing To Smile About: Asia's Deadly Addiction To Betel Quids by echibuzor: 8:57am On Nov 06, 2013
Editor's note: CNN's On the Road series takes you to different countries, exploring the challenges and opportunities they face. In October we visit Myanmar focusing on the country's development and putting its transformation in a global context.
Yangon, Myanmar (CNN) -- Heavy users of betel quids reveal their addiction when they smile. Their teeth are stained a reddish-black, dyed from years of chewing potent parcels of areca nuts and tobacco, wrapped in a lime-coated betel leaf.
"Some people after they eat they're drinking coffee or tea; always after eating I'm chewing the betel nut. I like it," says Myo Min Than, a 28-year-old noodle seller at a market in Myanmar's largest city, Yangon.
Read more at http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/04/world/asia/myanmar-betel-nut-cancer/index.html?sr=fb110513betelquids12p

(1) (Reply)

Regular Sex - How Healthy Is It? / I Need Your Help Medics!! / Nurse Kills 10-yr-old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.