Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,009 members, 7,821,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? (35723 Views)

Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? / Lady Who Slept With Her Bosses For Promotion Cries Out / Hilarious Relationship Between Workers And Their Bosses(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 11:24am On Nov 09, 2013
logica: Interestingly, several of the examples you mentioned are run by Indians. smiley With banks, we all know what to expect from them, so...

So Glo, Afrijet, Arik Air, etc., are owned by Indians?

Nigerians must find excuse sha. No shaking.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 11:32am On Nov 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

So Glo, Afrijet, Arik Air, etc., are owned by Indians?

Nigerians must find excuse sha. No shaking.

You don't know the difference between "owned" and "run"?

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 11:38am On Nov 09, 2013
logica: You don't know the difference between "owned" and "run"?

That's cute. undecided

Glo isn't run by Indians, FYI.
Glo is run by Mrs Talabi, Sangowawa, and Paddy. And Mike himself. Any Indian in Glo is just an employee like the Nigerians who are complaining.
I work in that industry.

Afrijet isn't run by any Indians. Neither is Arik. If there is any Indian in the employ of Arik, such Indian certainly has no serious say in the management.

Stop making imaginary conjecture around. If you don't know, it's much better to restrain yourself from typing.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 12:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That's cute. undecided

Glo isn't run by Indians, FYI.
Glo is run by Mrs Talabi, Sangowawa, and Paddy. And Mike himself. Any Indian in Glo is just an employee like the Nigerians who are complaining.
I work in that industry.

Afrijet isn't run by any Indians. Neither is Arik. If there is any Indian in the employ of Arik, such Indian certainly has no serious say in the management.

Stop making imaginary conjecture around. If you don't know, it's much better to restrain yourself from typing.
Good for you; you are the only person who works in the Nigerian IT industry.

In any case, I have worked with Indians professionally and with Nigerians; for 6 years in the US I bested them as colleagues consistently. So when you say Nigerians are lazy, I take it you speak of those you pay chicken feed and expect to lose an arm and a leg working for you (like Indians do). I have some kids I am working with, and they are as good as any Indians I have ever worked with. This is software development I am talking about; the same one you hear Indians are the gods.

When I say Indians "run" a company, every sensible person knows I don't necessarily speak of management. What do Talabi and Paddy know about IT for instance? I do know they are essentially delegating to their slave drivers who have plenty of experience working in that capacity.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 12:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
logica: Good for you; you are the only person who works in the Nigerian IT industry.

In any case, I have worked with Indians professionally and with Nigerians; for 6 years in the US I bested them as colleagues consistently. So when you say Nigerians are lazy, I take it you speak of those you pay chicken feed and expect to lose an arm and a leg working for you (like Indians do). I have some kids I am working with, and they are as good as any Indians I have ever worked with. This is software development I am talking about; the same one you hear Indians are the gods.

When I say Indians "run" a company, every sensible person knows I don't necessarily speak of management. What do Talabi and Paddy know about IT for instance? I do know they are essentially delegating to their slave drivers who have plenty of experience working in that capacity.

again. Cute.
If I had a kobo for every time I heard a Nigerian tell about how they have bested Indians at work or in school, i would be rich by now.
But you don't get the point do you. The Indians are just employees who are told what to do by the likes of Paddy and Talabi. Most of the Indians in Glo actually work in Marketing, not even in IT or any tech capacity. Some even work in the call center.
Think about what the real lesson is, in there.

And when you're done thinking about that, consider why, despite that Nigerians have so many great software developers like you, all the banks are running software from I-flex or Infosys (Indian companies). Or why the Indians consistently fill the H1-B quota. Why are Nigerians not in there?

My point is, if you didn't figure it out: Nigerians are very bad at representing ourselves, what we stand for, and why we should be taken seriously. If those Indians in Glo are just employees, it should have occurred to us that they are also competing for attention from the real owners of the companies. So they will play dirty, if they have to, to make sure that we look like lazy incompetents. Problem is, 9 times out of 10, we always prove them right.

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 12:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:
Or why the Indians consistently fill the H1-B quota. Why are Nigerians not in there?
Aha! H1-B? The same H1-B that I was employed on right from Nigeria 13 years ago? The same H1-B that helps America find cheap labor eh? Ha ha. Who else would fill the quota if not for those who have perfected the art of cheap labor? And who told you Nigerians are not employed on H1-B?

Yes, Indian companies have a head start, and that's why many of our banks run on Finacle and the like. How easy is it to compete with companies who have the advantage of even test-running their software in the US? The few Nigerian companies able to give them a run for their money are just not bothered because of the steep cost of getting into the industry. Yet we have several Nigerian companies offering competing software in other areas e.g HumanManager (SystemSpecs) even if it is crappy. But Nigerian software companies have mostly come alive with Mobile Banking/Payments. I can see what Parkway Projects have done; very professional. So yes, we are right there with the Indians even if we are a bit behind due to exposure.

And oh yeah, I bested them, not to brag. And these were guys who had been in the US longer and more experienced. So I hope with this addition you reach tipping point and get rich.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 1:04pm On Nov 09, 2013
logica: Aha! H1-B? The same H1-B that I was employed on right from Nigeria 13 years ago? The same H1-B that helps America find cheap labor eh? Ha ha. Who else would fill the quota if not for those who have perfected cheap labor?

Yes, Indian companies have a head start, and that's why many of our banks run on Finacle and the like. How easy is it to compete with companies who have the advantage of even testing running their software in the US? The few Nigerian companies able to give them a run for their money are just not bothered because of the steep cost of getting into the industry. Yet we have several Nigerian companies offering competing software in other areas e.g HumanManager (SystemSpecs) even if it is crappy. But Nigerian software companies have mostly come alive with Mobile Banking/Payments. I can see what Parkway Projects have done; very professional. So yes, we are right there with the Indians even if we are a bit behind due to exposure.

I can only return your he-he with another he-he. Like you're the first and only Nigerian to be recruited to the US via H1-B in 2000?

A lot of Nigerians were recruited with H1-B in 1999 and 2000, the dot-com boom era. Not only Nigerians, by the way. Engineers and programmers were recruited into the US from just about anywhere. But Indians have consistently filled that quota for years now, I don't hear of too many Nigerians being recruited via H1-B in a very long while. A significant number have even returned to the country.

You're also making cheap labor sound like a dirty word. That's part of the reality problem Nigerians have; there's a reason why these companies in Silicon Valley are taking these jobs away from their own people, don't you think? If there are cheaper alternatives available, why would they not take it?
I am glad that you're at least admitting that Nigerians are way behind when it comes to the business of selling tech. I say way behind, because Parkway or Neptune Software can't exactly play on the same stage as an Infosys, or a Wipro, or a TechMahindra. Achievable, yes, but we're not there yet. Not by a long shot.

Was in Chile, recently. The tech scene there is by many leaps and bounds more advanced than anything being done in sub-Saharan Africa. Nigerians really need to stop complaining and learn to earn respect the hard way. Every body just complains about every employer. if it's not Nigerian employers, it is some Indian, Chinese, Lebanese, Israeli, or Russian employer. I guess people just want to be paid. undecided
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I can only return your he-he with another he-he. Like you're the first and only Nigerian to be recruited to the US via H1-B in 2000?
If you knew this, why did you then rhetorically ask "where are Nigerians"? Even up till today, Nigerians interested in working in the US are still getting employed on H1-B (some from Nigeria and some on graduating from US universities). So I don't quite get your point here.
AjanleKoko:
You're also making cheap labor sound like a dirty word. That's part of the reality problem Nigerians have; there's a reason why these companies in Silicon Valley are taking these jobs away from their own people, don't you think? If there are cheaper alternatives available, why would they not take it?
Well, you were not there in the US to work with the Indians I worked with; but I must tell you they were overall not as good as the Americans. There is a reason they were cheaper; and believe you me there is a cost associated with being cheap and it is seen in quality (you pay peanuts, you employ monkeys). So you have to reach an equilibrium of quality versus cost. There was even one (my Indian colleague) who was clearly better at singing than writing code; and he part confessed to this fact (that he was actually a musician). He had obviously bribed somebody to get an H1-B to get to the US. Many of them simply paid somebody in an Indian owned company in the US to file for them. Everybody but the Americans know there is a lot of corruption in the H1-B regime.

Basically what I am telling you is, it's all reputation (from the 80s with the explosion of PC technology and software led by Microsoft) that has kept several mediocre Indians employed. Many are nowhere near the expertise of the forerunners. If you are talking of Indians who are on top of their game, you are referring to the very apex who represent no more than 2% of Indian developers.

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Venchy: 9:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]Indians and Chinese people all think and believe that they are superior to Africans, in the same way the WHite supremacists see africans as Niggas.\

However, my first job as a graduate in Canada was given to me by an Indian man. He even paid me the standard wage (20 dollars an hour) and said he will pay me cash so that I dont have to pay any government taxes on the money as he knows that I really needed it to settle.

He was indeed a great boss. Made me supervisor over even Indians (prolly cos he saw that I had a degree). At some point, I was like his second in command. However, those other indians that worked for the company and the indians that were our clients were retards.

The last day I worked for him was because of how an Indian client was very condecending to me. My boss saw it and immediately intervened as he saw that I was about to lose it.

But here in Africa, the matter is different. Go to all the businesses owned by;

Indians
Chinese &
Lebanese

and see how they treat and talk to their staff for minimum wage with no benefits.. [/b]

That's for Criminal in charge of Nigeria to sort that mess out but they are busy collecting kick backs from foreign investors as well as Nigerian Employers.

Sickening.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Venchy: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
adconline: "Men lie, women lie, numbers dont"
Auto:
India companies: Tata which owns Range Rover and Jaguar, Mahindra, Bajaj makes our Keke-Napep
Naija companies: NONE.

Telecom.
India: 2 - Reliance and Bharti Airtel.
Naija: 1- Glo- most of the top managers are Indians.

IT/Software:
Indi:Infosys and Wipro. top vendors to most Naija banks. Finacle by Infosys is the top banking software for most Naija banks.

Naija: None

Billionaires
India: Forbes lists 55 Indians
Naija: 2

CEO of Global brands.
India: 8 Indians are CEOs at big US companies like Citibank ,Pepsi,Adobe
Naija: None.

Forbes World's Biggest 2000 companies:
India: 56 companies
Naija: 1- company- dangote

Independece:
India: 1947
Nigeria: 1960

So how come India has prospered more than Naija when Nigerians are more hard working?

Good work ethics and ambitious for DEVELOPMENT while our leaders are busy looting public fund.

One more thing you forgot to mentioned is HEALTH CARE.....now, Nigerians are flying to India for medical treatment because we can't diagnose NOTHING, Madela never stepped out of South Africa for treatment but Nigerian politicians and their family flies out for dislocation of wrist.

Very serious matter, Jonathan dey Yab, Oduah dey mess and there's no CAR PARK at MM AIRPORT.....This are the reason why.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by LeJeun3: 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2013
Sagamite:

Then either refuse to work for them or, if you are working for them, quit.
Defeatist attitude........... I have learnt that it doesn't work.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 11:34am On Nov 10, 2013
adconline: "Men lie, women lie, numbers dont"
Auto:
India companies: Tata which owns Range Rover and Jaguar, Mahindra, Bajaj makes our Keke-Napep
Naija companies: NONE.

Telecom.
India: 2 - Reliance and Bharti Airtel.
Naija: 1- Glo- most of the top managers are Indians.

IT/Software:
Indi:Infosys and Wipro. top vendors to most Naija banks. Finacle by Infosys is the top banking software for most Naija banks.

Naija: None

Billionaires
India: Forbes lists 55 Indians
Naija: 2

CEO of Global brands.
India: 8 Indians are CEOs at big US companies like Citibank ,Pepsi,Adobe
Naija: None.

Forbes World's Biggest 2000 companies:
India: 56 companies
Naija: 1- company- dangote

Independece:
India: 1947
Nigeria: 1960

So how come India has prospered more than Naija when Nigerians are more hard working?
Aha, your history lesson is not complete. Most of the success and prosperity India currently enjoys today trace directly back to the PC and software boom of the 80s especially Microsoft, IBM and several other major players in the IT industry. They just so happened to discover they could recruit Indians to do several of these jobs and at lower costs. And they simply stuck to this tried and tested formula: "You need cheap technical labor? Go to India".

I can draw an analogy between this and a football club called Espanyol in Spain. They employed goalkeeper Thomas Nkono (a Cameroonian) in the 80s. Because of his performance, they then employed another Cameroonian goalkeeper (Idris Kameni) in 2004. They had found a formula. This kind of action is common in football and in fact other areas of human endeavor: Newcastle had found a formula in a (preferably tall) strong African lone striker, like Levante. "Tried and tested" is the watch word. Now if Espanyol had tried a Nigerian and he did well like Nkono, they would forever be searching for Nigerian goalkeepers. But does this prove the Cameroonian goalkeeper is superior to other African goalkeepers in general? I think not.

So yes, the Indians capitalized on the situation and turned it into an industry: making labor available to the US.

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by esere826: 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2013
^^ excellent this bit

you so cleverly drew out how self fulfilling prophesis work

**goes back into the thinkers position, chin on knuckle**
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
logica: Aha, your history lesson is not complete. Most of the success and prosperity India currently enjoys today trace directly back to the PC and software boom of the 80s especially Microsoft, IBM and several other major players in the IT industry. They just so happened to discover they could recruit Indians to do several of these jobs and at lower costs. And they simply stuck to this tried and tested formula: "You need cheap technical labor? Go to India".

I can draw an analogy between this and a football club called Espanyol in Spain. They employed goalkeeper Thomas Nkono (a Cameroonian) in the 80s. Because of his performance, they then employed another Cameroonian goalkeeper (Idris Kameni) in 2004. They had found a formula. This kind of action is common in football and in fact other areas of human endeavor: Newcastle had found a formula in a (preferably tall) strong African lone striker, like Levante. "Tried and tested" is the watch word. Now if Espanyol had tried a Nigerian and he did well like Nkono, they would forever be searching for Nigerian goalkeepers. But does this prove the Cameroonian goalkeeper is superior to other African goalkeepers in general? I think not.

So yes, the Indians capitalized on the situation and turned it into an industry: making labor available to the US.

so why haven't nigerians been able to tap into this same formula or create our own?
a large part of securing business is perception - so where are the issues with our brand management coming from?

there is an attitude i have seen with a lot of nigerian artisans on projects and with mechanics too - take it or leave it - it cannot be done better than this; a complete satisfaction with mediocrity coupled with some sort of misplaced arrogance over perceived competence. there's an old man that used to be in my department - a CAD drafter. the man's knowledge of CAD was like 10%, and there were multiple QA issues with his work - but he was the only one, and he had a lot of pride for a person who imho could not draft for sheet. i'm very cad proficient, and this came about partially because i hated the idea of begging some lazy Arrow to stay back to finish his work.

i seem to recall dangote choosing to hire filipinos over nigerians as factory workers because of a lazy attitude to work. i personally recall this attitude during my It in siemens panel workshop - the workers all did over time, but for the money only. they paced themselves through the day to ensure they worked overtime. two years later there was a major management shakeup and their oga had to leave because panel fabrication was not profitable.

i have to wonder if this same attitude is not part of the higher level workers - a satisfaction for mediocrity coupled with the arrogance of 'we are uni graduates/white collar workers'
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
oyb:

so why haven't nigerians been able to tap into this same formula or create our own?
How can we tap into something that we were not a part of, and that took off from the 80s? Do you think Nigeria would not have become a tech hub like India in IT Technology if we had been the "chosen" go-to reservoir of technical talent in the 80s? Yes we would have; because just as there were Indians working for tech companies from way back, so were Nigerians. There were just as technically capable Nigerians just as were Indians (though of course there were way more in India going by their population).

oyb:
there is an attitude i have seen with a lot of nigerian artisans on projects and with mechanics too - take it or leave it - it cannot be done better than this; a complete satisfaction with mediocrity coupled with some sort of misplaced arrogance over perceived competence. there's an old man that used to be in my department - a CAD drafter. the man's knowledge of CAD was like 10%, and there were multiple QA issues with his work - but he was the only one, and he had a lot of pride for a person who imho could not draft for sheet. i'm very cad proficient, and this came about partially because i hated the idea of begging some lazy Arrow to stay back to finish his work.
How is this a Nigerian thing? I will give an example of an acquaintance who used to think like some of you here: that if you have any software development need, go to India. He got seriously burned on a few projects; his Indian contacts delivered shoddy work and apparently they didn't even understand the requirements, and outright lied about their proficiency. He ended up still searching, but coming to Nigeria and Kenya. That is what is happening.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Sagamite(m): 2:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
LeJeun3: Defeatist attitude........... I have learnt that it doesn't work.

How is that a defeatist attitude?

Explain.

Venchy:

Good work ethics and ambitious for DEVELOPMENT while our leaders are busy looting public fund.

One more thing you forgot to mentioned is HEALTH CARE.....now, Nigerians are flying to India for medical treatment because we can't diagnose NOTHING, Madela never stepped out of South Africa for treatment but Nigerian politicians and their family flies out for dislocation of wrist.

Very serious matter, Jonathan dey Yab, Oduah dey mess and there's no CAR PARK at MM AIRPORT.....This are the reason why.

But yet some of our fucktards would fight you for not speaking proudly of Nigeria. For having the audacity of not thinking it is Giant of Africa.

And these fucktards because of their inferiority complex are always hating on South Africa and even Ghana now (as Ghana is beginning to leave them behind), instead of focusing their negative energy on the fucktards ruling them (which I bet majority of them voted for).
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 2:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
oyb:

a large part of securing business is perception - so where are the issues with our brand management coming from?

i have to wonder if this same attitude is not part of the higher level workers - a satisfaction for mediocrity coupled with the arrogance of 'we are uni graduates/white collar workers'

Aha.
You're now right where we have been since the beginning of this thread. wink

An exaggerated sense of self-importance, a serious case of entitlement-mentality, and a total lack of vision. That's the problem of the Nigerian working-class.
Indians are merely good at working the system, wherever they find themselves. In fact, it's the crudest of the lot that find themselves in Nigeria on a regular basis. My LinkedIn inbox is perennially bombarded by Indian CVs.

Of course I have worked consistently with Indians over the last 15 years to not give a crap about them, or be particularly impressed with them. But we Nigerians are so bad at packaging and positioning ourselves, it's just pathetic. There's a fundamentally-flawed assumption that Nigerians are naturally talented and hardworking. Nothing could be further than the truth. The hustling mentality is way to pervasive, and will prevent much quality from emerging. In fact most times it is shyt that floats - tough-talking nuccas undecided

Let me even use Logica's stated area of specialization; software development. The very good companies or individuals are so few and so much in high demand, it is ridiculous. I once tried to hire someone and train the person in user interface design outside Nigeria, but the people I saw were more interested in the remuneration that whatever the job was about. Almost all candidates were entirely unsuitable, and many were unwilling.
I've had to resort to Indian or Eastern European companies for many development assignments.

So Nigerians should stop wailing about Indians or other employers. My dad used to say that, at some point in your career, you might find yourself working for the devil himself. Suck it up and learn from him is his recommendation, considering that since he's the devil, he obviously has something worth learning about, or some skill worth acquiring.

2 Likes

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
logica:
How is this a Nigerian thing? I will give an example of an acquaintance who used to think like some of you here: that if you have any software development need, go to India. He got seriously burned on a few projects; his Indian contacts delivered shoddy work and apparently they didn't even understand the requirements, and outright lied about their proficiency. He ended up still searching, but coming to Nigeria and Kenya. That is what is happening.

you are still missing the point - why is it indians are able to sell themselves and nigerians aren't?

what is stopping us from building our own wipro today? we have the same infrastructure challenges the indians have, not so?
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2013
i posted this after

i seem to recall dangote choosing to hire filipinos over nigerians as factory workers because of their lazy attitude to work. i personally recall this attitude during my IT in siemens panel workshop - the workers all did over time, but for the money only. they paced themselves through the day to ensure they worked overtime. two years later there was a major management shakeup and their oga had to leave because the department was not profitable.

i will be frank - the indian we have in my office ia a major prick, but he knows the BS game. he also knos how to rubbish all of us to mgt - which means you have to be on top of your game
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Sagamite(m): 2:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
logica: Aha, your history lesson is not complete. Most of the success and prosperity India currently enjoys today trace directly back to the PC and software boom of the 80s especially Microsoft, IBM and several other major players in the IT industry. They just so happened to discover they could recruit Indians to do several of these jobs and at lower costs. And they simply stuck to this tried and tested formula: "You need cheap technical labor? Go to India".

What absolutely clunking rubbish!

So you mean companies like IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle etc who would have elite students as corporate strategists do not do any assessment of all alternatives and just follow an historical trend?

They go and spend millions on setting up bases in Bangalore without any analysis of options and justification of selected option apart from "well we have used this one before and it did not fail"?

And you think, coincidentally, all these companies staff have a "group think"? They all became mumus that decided to all go to India without an assessment of benefit maximisation relative to costs? They just all mumuishly decided to stick with one country while countries like Nigeria were equally capable and do not have inferior IT professionals on average?

You clearly don't understand how strategic decisions are made and you are making an assumption.

My friend, serious assessments are done on issues like this. It is just not a scenario of some CEO and Directors sitting their arsses somewhere and pulling unreasoned executive decisions from their whims. Here is an example I gave earlier:

https://www.nairaland.com/507378/nigeria-close-population-disaster-british/2#6693852
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 2:34pm On Nov 10, 2013
oyb:

you are still missing the point - why is it indians are able to sell themselves and nigerians aren't?

what is stopping us from building our own wipro today? we have the same infrastructure challenges the indians have, not so?
But I already pointed how they are able to "sell" themselves: they live off the contribution of the forerunners in the 80s to create tech giants like Microsoft, Apple, IBM etc. But like I said, most of them are not as competent as the general world would have us believe. It's not different from when Nigerians go to some other countries and they think by default we are all super-smart.

By the way, did you learn how the Indians ran down MultiLinks? I have never heard or seen more incompetence, laziness, sense of entitlement and corruption as found in the MultiLinks story.

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
logica: But I already pointed how they are able to "sell" themselves: they live off the contribution of the forerunners in the 80s to create tech giants like Microsoft, Apple, IBM etc. But like I said, most of them are not as competent as the general world would have us believe. It's not different from when Nigerians go to some other countries and they think by default we are all super-smart.

By the way, did you learn how the Indians ran down MultiLinks? I have never heard or seen more incompetence, laziness, sense of entitlement and corruption as found in the MultiLinks story.

You want to talk about multilinks when we have several companies nigerians ran down by themselves? Look at what is happening to aero, look at the bank chiefs who blew 25 billion, look at Jimoh Ibrahim and air nigeria
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 2:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
logica:

oyb:

You want to talk about multilinks when we have several companies nigerians ran down by themselves? Look at what is happening to aero, look at the bank chiefs who blew 25 billion, look at Jimoh Ibrahim and air nigeria

It wasn't Indians that crashed Multilinks. It was South Africans. Telkom execs, to be precise.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
oyb:

Aha. So you see they are no better managers after all? What makes them better than us?
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by logica(m): 3:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

It wasn't Indians that crashed Multilinks. It was South Africans. Telkom execs, to be precise.
My guy, I had front row seat in watching the meltdown of MultiLinks. It was previously Indian owned before the South Africans stepped in and they had completely run down the establishment by then. Telkom bought 75% stake in 2007. There were incidents of massive fraud and embezzlement. I even learned one of their Indian managers bought a large portion of land in V/I. My wife worked there.

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/117015/1/how-we-were-8216misled8217-into-investing-in-multi.html
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by sCun: 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
Sagamite:

How is that a defeatist attitude?

Explain.

But yet some of our fucktards would fight you for not speaking proudly of Nigeria. For having the audacity of not thinking it is Giant of Africa.

And these fucktards because of their inferiority complex are always hating on South Africa and even Ghana now (as Ghana is beginning to leave them behind), instead of focusing their negative energy on the fucktards ruling them (which I bet majority of them voted for).
only in your filthy dreams.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Sagamite(m): 10:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
sCun: only in your filthy dreams.

Nigerian universities are producing fucktards like you and the country is stalling.

No doubt you are one of the fucktards I was referring to hating on SA and Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Nobody: 3:40am On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Aha.

An exaggerated sense of self-importance, a serious case of entitlement-mentality, and a total lack of vision. That's the problem of the Nigerian working-class.
Indians are merely good at working the system, wherever they find themselves. In fact, it's the crudest of the lot that find themselves in Nigeria on a regular basis. My LinkedIn inbox is perennially bombarded by Indian CVs.

Of course I have worked consistently with Indians over the last 15 years to not give a crap about them, or be particularly impressed with them. But we Nigerians are so bad at packaging and positioning ourselves, it's just pathetic. There's a fundamentally-flawed assumption that Nigerians are naturally talented and hardworking. Nothing could be further than the truth. The hustling mentality is way to pervasive, and will prevent much quality from emerging. In fact most times it is shyt that floats - tough-talking nuccas undecided

Let me even use Logica's stated area of specialization; software development. The very good companies or individuals are so few and so much in high demand, it is ridiculous. I once tried to hire someone and train the person in user interface design outside Nigeria, but the people I saw were more interested in the remuneration that whatever the job was about. Almost all candidates were entirely unsuitable, and many were unwilling.
I've had to resort to Indian or Eastern European companies for many development assignments.

So Nigerians should stop wailing about Indians or other employers. My dad used to say that, at some point in your career, you might find yourself working for the devil himself. Suck it up and learn from him is his recommendation, considering that since he's the devil, he obviously has something worth learning about, or some skill worth acquiring.

The bolded I have found to be true.

Its always about how much, no one considers how well, or what can be learned.

Most Nigerians will pick a higher salary over without any considerations.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by birdman(m): 7:02am On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Aha.

'

I dont disagree with anything you just said, esp. our get- rich quick by any means attitude. However, this is not what you were asking originally. It seems the thread has shifted into a Nigerian-Indian comparison.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by AjanleKoko: 7:45am On Nov 11, 2013
birdman: '

I dont disagree with anything you just said, esp. our get- rich quick by any means attitude. However, this is not what you were asking originally. It seems the thread has shifted into a Nigerian-Indian comparison.

What I said at the beginning was that I don't think Indian bosses are that bad. Nigerian employees in contrast are rather lazy, not very smart on the job, and entitled.

My opinion hasn't changed.

1 Like

Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by Sagamite(m): 8:12am On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Aha.

undecided

Worst breed of employees as I have frequently highlighted to clients: The unable and unwilling bunch.

The ones you gladly and unreservedly recommend for the sack or redundancy at the earliest opportunity except the can find, asap, a different function in the organisation they are more interested in and can do.
Re: Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? by tayoccu(m): 10:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Bros multilinks was as good as dead when telkom came on board, get your facts right.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria / Is Dentistry Better Than Medicine / Staff Of Baker Hughes Protest In Port-Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.