Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,076 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) - Art, Graphics & Video (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) (225341 Views)

Oscar Ukonu: The Nigerian Who Can Draw Everything With Pen / How To Draw A Minion... / How To Draw A Detailed Smiley Face Using Adobe Illustrator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 11:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
benjibabs: Wow!!! I give it to Wallace. The smaller drawing (shaded one) is just too cool. I can literally count the hair on the head of the model. grin
Simple and scanty eye browse gave me nightmare when I drew my face. cheesy I wish I could watch him draw. Anyway, I should be able to do a good copy job. grin

Grandma coming up soon!!!

cool

Benjibabs, when I do see (and I hope I do!), I'll take you to meet him. I'll hopefully film Wallace Ejoh doing a tutorial soon. In the portrait of the girl, I know the model had scanty eyebrows. He ignored them completely, choosing to focus on getting a likeness and tones right (focus on one aspect of the object your drawing, emphasize it and even small details deleted will look perfect. All painters are told to simplify and a lot of pictures look better when cropped). So try that, ignore eyebrows for now, shade over it if it's in shadow. I'll post up dimensions for the face eventually, but I want us all to loosen up first.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 8:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Hello, this class is not about a Drawing lesson, but it's about what I see a lot on these boards:

Someone has different grades of pencils, and has spent hours faithfully copying out pictures. They post it here and people clap. Then I come along or even worse, (and this happened yesterday on another thread) a professional artist (someone who chose this career that is very demanding and draining, took the time to not only learn and learn well, and is successful now) gives his advice, and people (whom have no talent, and yes, I will call you out if you continue to speak) ask him "Guy, who you be?"

So I will state this clearly, let anyone be offended: No, I rarely see any good drawings or paintings here. Feel free to quote me, I've got proof.

I was once like these so-called artists, I had talent, but luckily I visited museums (locally and internationally), and hung out with artists once in a while, so I used to draw. And paint, once in a while. This year, I decided to see if I could go pro, so I went to an Art studio, and enrolled in a course, it was for 3 months, but the proprietor (who knew me and saw my drawings) insisted I do a year. 1 year. I balked. "What do I need to do a year of study for, I can draw, I can handle paint, I only wanna learn Composition, to make my paintings stronger".

At least, Heaven help me, I knew about Composition, unlike a lot of these so-called artists, whom have never heard of Design, Colour Theory, Tonal Value, Contour Drawing, Gesture Drawing, Academic Drawing, Chiaroscuro, a lot more.

They sat me in front of a live model and asked me to draw for 30 minutes. That night, I paid for a full year of study. grin

I will post my first drawings below, so you can see how I was, when I started studying in June. That's the first set of 5 minute gesture drawings. Feel free to laugh grin

4 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
By August, after everyone had yabbed me grin and I had started reading and studying artbooks and all my wonderful, bicycle-riding grin teachers (which include almost every successful nigerian artist who lives in Lagos, dem plenty). And by successful I mean:

- they've had shows and exhibitions, locally and internationally
- they've won juried awards
- their work is sold by major art galleries and art auctions in Nigeria and abroad and the price ranges from N150,000 to N3 million.
- articles have been written about them, and programmes have been recorded about them (the BBC I know has come to interview them).

So, with the input of all these people, and lots of hardwork, my drawings began to look like this.

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by AleshKeem(m): 9:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
hmm...R u male or female?
*confused*
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
My sister told me once "if you cook soup, and your brothers eat it and smile, be happy. They like something about it. If I eat and say "not bad", be proud, even if it's for 30 minutes. But if your mother (who trained so many people to cook well) eats it and says "add more salt, next time a little less pepper", omo run and do what she said grin"

Imagine if I had stopped after the first few months, posted up images of my drawings and the crowd applauded. Some 'naysayers" will give me technical correction, but people shout them down and tell me not to let them bring me down. I would not be doing what I do now.

Below, is how I draw now, from live models (i.e they pose for me for 30 minutes, I draw, one pencil only, no erasing till the end). There are still mistakes (because I cannot pay attention and a groundnut and popcorn seller showed up to distract me grin and the model had to go home, leaving it unfinished).

2 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 9:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
My point is, Consistent Intelligent hardwork will get you places. Also, informed critique. And an attitude of learning (most important).

The reason I love Benjibabs and Yame014 is how they interact with me: always eager. Feraz too, showed up in the rain. For you guys, when school is on break, come to Lagos and get free lessons, not even from me, but from fantastic artists, better than me. We'll look at materials and books for Drawing, who knows, you may end up becoming a full-time artist, or even just learn to draw, for fun. But keep up your spirits and your interaction (I really enjoy it), and that learning attitude. Walai, I've seen people swagger into Studio to show off "drawings" as Nigeria's finest artist and they yabbed them and laughed and offered them lessons. Or people run their mouth to someone online, like "Guy, who you be" and I'll answer for him, by posting one of his drawings below. You get the answer from that. wink

No-one has time. You're busy, I'm busy, all of us have important stuff to do. So if someone takes the time to say some stuff, (hey, don't listen to me, I'm still learning grin), please, to quote my metaphor earlier, "Mummy has said add salt and less pepper, go and do so" smiley

I'm going to try keep these classes on for a while, but the truth is, I'm getting busy and posts won't come in daily (I'll try write a bunch and post them quickly, so we all have homework). So, once in a while, I'll have guest artists write the posts, and I'll introduce them first, so you get to know them.

Everything I've written in this thread, will hopefully help out. Practice them, often. There's a lot more to learn: Proportion, How to shade, Light, Expression Lines and the Line of Action, Perspective, Anatomy (for those doing Figure Drawing), Depth, and so on. Take the time to find out, then meet someone knowledgeable for guidance. Don't let the blind show the deaf how to cross the street.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by kannymoore(m): 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gazes at the drawing right above my head and munches popcorn...................................................................slowly!

Damn!
grin
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
kannymoore: Gazes at the drawing right above my head and munches popcorn...................................................................slowly!

Damn!
grin

I know, right grin when I did my first still-life, and the whole world was hailing me, he was the first to tell "you need to learn how to draw". Thank goodness I listened quickly, I for still be village champion grin grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Kpormaurcheap(m): 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2014
Please can you giv me steps on how to prime a canvas for oil paintings using top bond and emulsion and to avoid cracks . Tanks .
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 3:32pm On Jan 09, 2014
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 3:34pm On Jan 09, 2014
People, people. Please where is my sketch of Grandma? At least do one with either Cross-hatching or Smooth Shading, let me know where we need help.

Abi they don kidnap una? grin
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by yame014: 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2014
cross hatching...
@onegai...sorry for submitting late...I need necessary corrections to make amendment.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 6:29pm On Jan 10, 2014
yame014: cross hatching...
@onegai...sorry for submitting late...I need necessary corrections to make amendment.

Hello, no image is showing. I may be moving to a monthly newsletter to continue these lessons. So please PM me. For today, let's look at Grandma and her Cross-Hatching. Also, I'll send you an easier image to do, because Grandma has a lot of middle tones, so let's start with something with a definite Light and Dark pattern.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by yame014: 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
I don't know why my picture is verynot showing..

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by benjibabs(m): 2:58am On Jun 30, 2014
WOW!!! shocked shocked shocked We are back in time. We lost almost 6 electronic months. I'm not sure how or where to pick up.
Good to see someone's grandma again grin cheesy grin
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 8:36pm On Jun 30, 2014
Lol, welcome back, grandma. Alright, I'll try and restart this thing going. Everyone, please do the same. Practise upside-down grandma and any other upside-down pictures. And I'll introduce Gesture Drawing as well.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by prof800(m): 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
It's so good to have this thread revived. smiley
great job Onegai.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ma Pencil work on Akpabio

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Doller1: 10:00am On Jul 05, 2014
My pencil drawing

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
amateur wrk

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by corlin2(m): 3:55am On Jul 06, 2014
An uncompleted piece

2 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Goldenheart(m): 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
Upside down grandma. You got it. smiley

14min : 23sec

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
Goldenheart: Upside down grandma. You got it. smiley

14min : 23sec

Not bad. There's a lot going on that's really good (your proportions look nice). You need to work on your lines, you're doing short dashes instead of long flowing lines. Well done.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Goldenheart(m): 3:47am On Jul 15, 2014
Onegai:

Not bad. There's a lot going on that's really good (your proportions look nice). You need to work on your lines, you're doing short dashes instead of long flowing lines. Well done.

i hrd it is a bad habit ma. can you advice me on wat to do n how i can make a continous line...because i think am addicted to "dashes"
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by linasparkle(f): 2:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
Can i draw grandma upside down? I doubt undecided
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Goldenheart(m): 7:48am On Jul 16, 2014
linasparkle: Can i draw grandma upside down? I doubt undecided

thats why we say "believe in yourself"
start by trying...
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 19, 2014
cry cry cry
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
Guys, there's a workshop on drawing and pastel painting that is being taught by Jonahan Jefferson this saturday. Please go and register, I already did. I checked online and his work is very amazing. Some popular talented artists are also coming (whom I will be writing about on my blog).
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Iyke123: 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
Make i add my own too, thats my self protrait cool

3 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by KenNwadiogbu(m): 3:41am On Jul 30, 2014
Onegai: My point is, Consistent Intelligent hardwork will get you places. Also, informed critique. And an attitude of learning (most important).

The reason I love Benjibabs and Yame014 is how they interact with me: always eager. Feraz too, showed up in the rain. For you guys, when school is on break, come to Lagos and get free lessons, not even from me, but from fantastic artists, better than me. We'll look at materials and books for Drawing, who knows, you may end up becoming a full-time artist, or even just learn to draw, for fun. But keep up your spirits and your interaction (I really enjoy it), and that learning attitude. Walai, I've seen people swagger into Studio to show off "drawings" as Nigeria's finest artist and they yabbed them and laughed and offered them lessons. Or people run their mouth to someone online, like "Guy, who you be" and I'll answer for him, by posting one of his drawings below. You get the answer from that. wink

No-one has time. You're busy, I'm busy, all of us have important stuff to do. So if someone takes the time to say some stuff, (hey, don't listen to me, I'm still learning grin), please, to quote my metaphor earlier, "Mummy has said add salt and less pepper, go and do so" smiley

I'm going to try keep these classes on for a while, but the truth is, I'm getting busy and posts won't come in daily (I'll try write a bunch and post them quickly, so we all have homework). So, once in a while, I'll have guest artists write the posts, and I'll introduce them first, so you get to know them.

Everything I've written in this thread, will hopefully help out. Practice them, often. There's a lot more to learn: Proportion, How to shade, Light, Expression Lines and the Line of Action, Perspective, Anatomy (for those doing Figure Drawing), Depth, and so on. Take the time to find out, then meet someone knowledgeable for guidance. Don't let the blind show the deaf how to cross the street.

I'm sorry
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by OKX(m): 8:34am On Jul 30, 2014
@ken
ur opinions r urs n urs alone, don't presume to speak for others.

i passively follow the thread and i would like u to point out d insults u refer to, if u will.
last i knew, constructive criticism differs from hate.

u too possess some rudimentary talent, n i guess that's ur license to post wot u did, but in my opinion its a gross misrepresentation of the character of the OP.

lol, u were actually d 'gangstar' flooding several threads with d same posts of ur work sometime back. wink

lets read thread topics before we choose to click on them, reading and/or posting isn't compulsory.

besides, i don't have to 'like' my lecturer if inspite of my feelings, he is educating me.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by kannymoore(m): 9:50am On Jul 30, 2014
KenNwadiogbu:

You are indeed a talented artist, but your attitude will get you no where... Admire the upcomings and don't insult their burn to be better or to "want to be heard". You were once like them, STOP ACTING ALL GANGSTAR IN ART. I'M NOT TRYING TO CAUSE A SCANDAL, BUT TRUST ME, THOSE THAT LIKE YOU ONLY DO SO TO GET WHAT THEY WANT, AND THE BOTTOMLINE IS, YOU NEED PEOPLE BY YOUR SIDE. LOVELY WORK THO, KEEP IT UP.
FYI, THEIR WORKS ARE GOOD TOO, so STOP HATING and admire... Lol! Tell them what they didn't do right. I know no one is paying you, but have WHAT IS WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING RIGHT.

Just thought I should let you know

Sigh!

Ken.

I highlighted your comments in the light of this thread and I'd love you to accept a piece of my own mind.

Onegai has been very gracious with the opening and her contributions to this thread. She's never claimed to be a "sabinus" ..instead, she's willing to share the little knowledge she has with everyone who has in interest in drawing. Something not many artists would ever do if they were in her shoes.
It is in this light to note that this thread of hers is an ongoing session, divided into subtopics and interactive exercises. When one topic is done with, she moves onto another topic and so on and so forth. That has been the main idea, as far as I've noticed, and everything's all well and dandy.

However, there are some peeps who keep bringing up pix of their work that has nothing to do with the exercise @ hand. At times, I think these peeps have no intention of learning from the thread but instead use this as an opportunity to "SHOW OFF" their drawing prowess against the up-comers and learners. Its not cool. To be frank, its pretty distracting.
Even when Onegai, time after time, keeps telling some of these peeps to follow the topic and post works that have something to do with the theme @ hand, they stubbornly keep posting their drawings and artworks.

Sigh. Some peeps actually have patience wahllai!

Now with regards Onegai's critique of artworks.. I believe she's doing the right thing. If your drawing aint good enough, IT AINT GOOD ENOUGH! She hasn't really Damned anybody's work and if she has, well, accept am and try to be better. Simple. Personally,I believe that its with subsequent exercises that one can start judging you based on YOUR EFFORTS at learning how to draw.

If she's ignored anyone's drawings, its mostly those peeps who always fail to follow the thread from the beginning and jump into the fray with works that have no relevance to the theme @ hand.

Sorry for my somewhat long post. I just had to stuff off my chest.

Cheers bro!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.